Vega FE benchmarked by random dude

26 minutes ago, leadeater said:

But these are not launch reviews or reviews at all, user benchmarks are not the same thing and unless you are well, frankly utterly stupid, no one is going to mistake them as anything else. When the actual reviews come out they will get recycled as you say like always but these aren't those.

This is the actual issue.

PcPer are doing official review live, and the Fe at 1440Mhz is barely faster than a 1050Mhz Fury X so far...not good at all.

https://www.pcper.com/live/

5950X | NH D15S | 64GB 3200Mhz | RTX 3090 | ASUS PG348Q+MG278Q

36 minutes ago, leadeater said:

But these are not launch reviews or reviews at all, user benchmarks are not the same thing and unless you are well, frankly utterly stupid, no one is going to mistake them as anything else. When the actual reviews come out they will get recycled as you say like always but these aren't those.

This is the actual issue.

While I don't think this is a good look at the moment, and do agree that they released the FE because they could & to hit investor targets, we saw the "I give up, AMD!" stuff post Computex with regards to Vega. Some anti-hype has its utility. 

Also, almost no one benchmarked the Titan X(p) or even mostly the Titan X as well. No one really talks about either for buying graphics cards.  The FE won't be too important since few are getting review kits.  RX Vega will be the big media push.  (Granted, if SIGGRAPH goes terribly, throw as much shade at the RTG marketing department as possible.)

22 minutes ago, Valentyn said:

PcPer are doing official review live, and the Fe at 1440Mhz is barely faster than a 1050Mhz Fury X so far...not good at all.

Man, that twitch chat is the most delusional bunch of people that I've ever seen. Some are downright uninformed as to how basic computing even works. 

My (incomplete) memory overclocking guide: 

Does memory speed impact gaming performance? Click here to find out!

On 1/2/2017 at 9:32 PM, MageTank said:

Sometimes, we all need a little inspiration.

1 minute ago, MageTank said:

Man, that twitch chat is the most delusional bunch of people that I've ever seen. Some are downright uninformed as to how basic computing even works. 

That's rather typical, as wccft linked the stream on their site; so I expect their denizens are all in that chat as well.

1 minute ago, Valentyn said:

That's rather typical, as wccft linked the stream on the site; so I expect their denizens are all in that chat as well.

Yeah... I was trying to explain the concept of undervolting to achieve a higher clock speed, and was just cursed to the high heavens by a guy that clearly doesn't know how voltage works. My suggestion was simple: undervolt to reduce thermals (thereby increasing thermal headroom) and see if it boosts higher as a result. However, the poor lads brain only comprehends overclocking as "THROW MOAR VOLTS 4 ALL THE CLOCK SPEEDS!". I even invited him to look at my pascal overclocking on the voltage curve, and how I achieved a 120mhz higher overclock by actually using less voltage, but he was having none of it.

I simply wanted my theory to be tested, as I believe these cards are over-volted out of the box (RX480 style) and I wanted to see if someone could prove that. Sadly, far too many rabid fans in that chat to even get a word through. 

1 minute ago, MageTank said:

I simply wanted my theory to be tested, as I believe these cards are over-volted out of the box (RX480 style) and I wanted to see if someone could prove that. Sadly, far too many rabid fans in that chat to even get a word through. 

Exactly, on all the last major AMD cards undervolting has really helped.

Look at the RX 480, and Fury X, undervolt, and get more out of it in the end as well.

AMD has been bad at overvolting reference cards the last 2 years.

Vega might suck, it might not, but jesus fucking christ people, wait for the actual cards to be reviewed by actually capable people who actually know what they're doing. Besides, who knows, the drivers might improve a lot before the real deal comes around. (NOT DEFENDING AYYMD, just urging people to think!)

i7 2600k @ 5GHz 1.49v - EVGA GTX 1070 ACX 3.0 - 16GB DDR3 2000MHz Corsair Vengence

Asus p8z77-v lk - 480GB Samsung 870 EVO w/ W10 LTSC - 2x1TB HDD storage - 240GB SATA SSD w/ W7 - EVGA 650w 80+G G2

3x 1080p 60hz Viewsonic LCDs, 1 glorious Dell CRT running at anywhere from 60hz to 120hz

Model M w/ Soarer's adapter - Logitch g502 - Audio-Techinca M20X - Cambridge SoundWorks speakers w/ woofer

5 minutes ago, 2Buck said:

Vega might suck, it might not, but jesus fucking christ people, wait for the actual cards to be reviewed by actually capable people who actually know what they're doing. Besides, who knows, the drivers might improve a lot before the real deal comes around. (NOT DEFENDING AYYMD, just urging people to think!)

PcPer are doing it right now, live.

Tomb Raider 75 vs 120 on Titan X

43 minutes ago, Valentyn said:

Didn't instill much confidence in their judgement when he stated during his testing of GTA V that while FE is using older drivers it shouldn't matter since the game is old and is optimized well already.... yes that is true but this is a new GPU architecture so old drivers do matter. How much I don't know but that was kind of a dumb statement, heat of the moment I guess, I don't expect that same reasoning to make it through to the written article.

25 minutes ago, MageTank said:

You should go to their IRC chatroom while watching the stream, don't even bother with twitch and youtube chats....ever.

Just now, leadeater said:

Didn't instill much confidence in their judgement when he stated during his testing of GTA V that while FE is using older drivers it shouldn't matter since the game is old and is optimized well already.... yes that is true but this is a new GPU architecture so old drivers do matter. How much I don't know but that was kind of a dumb statement, heat of the moment I guess, I don't expect that same reasoning to make it through to the written article.

Yeah, especially after AMD told them this.
"Expect no performance delta between Gaming and Pro mode. Shipping driver is current, but is not comparable to RX Vega driver."
PCPer Ryan quoting AMD

They're doing PCIe power draw tests now. Although so far the performance of the Frontier Edition is just bad. Some games and tests it's barely able to beat a Fury X, others it's around GTX 1080.

2 minutes ago, leadeater said:

Yeah, I just turned the stream off. Going to wait for a written review and a better testing methodology. Watching him do fallout 4 also made me question their methodology as it looked like he was only half-way paying attention. The runs were pretty inconsistent. 

3 minutes ago, Valentyn said:

They're doing PCIe power draw tests now. Although so far the performance of the Frontier Edition is just bad. Some games and tests it's barely able to beat a Fury X, others it's around GTX 1080.

We'll look at the data after these individuals get burned at the stake

Haha awesome quote.

Also damn missed some of it since I closed the stream, they given any power figures yet?

3 minutes ago, leadeater said:

Haha awesome quote.

Also damn missed some of it since I closed the stream, they given any power figured yet?

About 130-138 per 8 pin so far

9 minutes ago, Valentyn said:

Yeah, especially after AMD told them this.
"Expect no performance delta between Gaming and Pro mode. Shipping driver is current, but is not comparable to RX Vega driver."
PCPer Ryan quoting AMD

Yeah power draw is close to the official 300W TDP rating, so AMD was pretty accurate with the figure.

They are also recording the power draw and FPS performance. It's also interesting on how they test power draw at the PCIe bus by using a riser card rigged with probes specifically to intercept the 3.3V and 12V lines at the bus and they have probes coupled into the 12V lines on the PCIe power plugs. That's pretty much how you eliminate all other variables down to whatever specific component that's being tested, the right way.

I'm not judging performance just yet, as we don't have the complete picture yet. Until the full test suite PC Perspective runs is complete, I'm reserving my judgement.

Edited by JurunceNK

RIGZ

Spoiler

Starlight (Current): AMD Ryzen 9 3900X 12-core CPU | EVGA GeForce RTX 2080 Ti Black Edition | Gigabyte X570 Aorus Ultra | Full Custom Loop | 32GB (4x8GB) Dominator Platinum SE Blackout #338/500 | 1TB + 2TB M.2 NVMe PCIe 4.0 SSDs, 480GB SATA 2.5" SSD, 8TB 7200 RPM NAS HDD | EVGA NU Audio | Corsair 900D | Corsair AX1200i | Corsair ML120 2-pack 5x + ML140 2-pack

The Storm (Retired): Intel Core i7-5930K | Asus ROG STRIX GeForce GTX 1080 Ti | Asus ROG RAMPAGE V EDITION 10 | EKWB EK-KIT P360 with Hardware Labs Black Ice SR2 Multiport 480 | 32GB (4x8GB) Dominator Platinum SE Blackout #338/500 | 480GB SATA 2.5" SSD + 3TB 5400 RPM NAS HDD + 8TB 7200 RPM NAS HDD | Corsair 900D | Corsair AX1200i + Black/Blue CableMod cables | Corsair ML120 2-pack 2x + NB-BlackSilentPro PL-2 x3

STRONK COOLZ 9000

Spoiler

EK-Quantum Momentum X570 Aorus Master monoblock | EK-FC RTX 2080 + Ti Classic RGB Waterblock and Backplate | EK-XRES 140 D5 PWM Pump/Res Combo | 2x Hardware Labs Black Ice SR2 480 MP and 1x SR2 240 MP | 10X Corsair ML120 PWM fans | A mixture of EK-KIT fittings and EK-Torque STC fittings and adapters | Mayhems 10/13mm clear tubing | Mayhems X1 Eco UV Blue coolant | Bitspower G1/4 Temperature Probe Fitting

DESK TOIS

Spoiler

Glorious Modular Mechanical Keyboard | Glorious Model D Featherweight Mouse | 2x BenQ PD3200Q 32" 1440p IPS displays + BenQ BL3200PT 32" 1440p VA display | Mackie ProFX10v3 USB Mixer + Marantz MPM-1000 Mic | Sennheiser HD 598 SE Headphones | 2x ADAM Audio T5V 5" Powered Studio Monitors + ADAM Audio T10S Powered Studio Subwoofer | Logitech G920 Driving Force Steering Wheel and Pedal Kit + Driving Force Shifter | Logitech C922x 720p 60FPS Webcam | Xbox One Wireless Controller

QUOTES

Spoiler

"So because they didn't give you the results you want, they're biased? You realize that makes you biased, right?" - @App4that

"Brand loyalty/fanboyism is stupid." - Unknown person on these forums

"Assuming kills" - @Moondrelor

"That's not to say that Nvidia is always better, or that AMD isn't worth owning. But the fact remains that this forum is AMD biased." - @App4that

"I'd imagine there's exceptions to this trend - but just going on mine and my acquaintances' purchase history, we've found that budget cards often require you to turn off certain features to get slick performance, even though those technologies are previous gen and should be having a negligible impact" - ace42

"2K" is not 2560 x 1440 

Things PCPer has concluded (via own testing AND AMD official statements to them):

There is no difference between pro and gaming mode in performance. It is simply settings (and perhaps some support under pro) that is the difference.

The card will indeed run at 1600mhz.

Now, this is NOT a gaming card. Its focus is still on content creation, and AMD has stated that gamers should wait on the RX version with RX drivers.

Any logical person should understand that this is not a gaming card, when it at 50% higher clock speed with same amount of stream processors, is slower or equal to Fiji. There would be no point to make the Vega architecture if its IPC is much much worse than the previous Fiji chip.

Watching Intel have competition is like watching a headless chicken trying to get out of a mine field

CPU: Intel I7 4790K@4.6 with NZXT X31 AIO; MOTHERBOARD: ASUS Z97 Maximus VII Ranger; RAM: 8 GB Kingston HyperX 1600 DDR3; GFX: ASUS R9 290 4GB; CASE: Lian Li v700wx; STORAGE: Corsair Force 3 120GB SSD; Samsung 850 500GB SSD; Various old Seagates; PSU: Corsair RM650; MONITOR: 2x 20" Dell IPS; KEYBOARD/MOUSE: Logitech K810/ MX Master; OS: Windows 10 Pro

Just now, JurunceNK said:

Yeah power draw is close to the official 300W TDP rating, so AMD was pretty accurate with the figure.

They are also recording the power draw and FPS performance. It's also interesting on how they test power draw at the PCIe bus by using a riser card rigged with probes specifically to intercept the 3.3V and 12V lines at the bus and they have probes coupled into the 12V lines on the PCIe power plugs. That's pretty much how you eliminate all other variables down to whatever specific component that's being tested, the right way.

Yeah, nice to see their method and components.

Also the power seems to jump around a lot in tests, and clock speeds are not adjusted with those jumps and dips.

rSK_KVfMSCK23syGUWq5gQ.png

2 minutes ago, JurunceNK said:

I'm not judging performance just yet, as we don't have the complete picture yet. Until the full test suite PC Perspective runs is complete, I'm reserving my judgement.

a question is how do we tackle the fact that nvidea uses the cpu for scheduling so part of the energy is wasted there 

Just now, Valentyn said:

Yeah, nice to see their method and components.

Also the power seems to jump around a lot in tests, and clock speeds are not adjusted with those jumps and dips.

;)

Yeah it is all over the place. Once they complete their tests they'll analyze and find out what's causing the power consumption figure to not be very consistent by also looking at clock speed changes over time, since that provides a pretty good (but not perfect) explanation of the power changes.

They just disabled AMD Chill as of writing this.

RIGZ

Spoiler

Starlight (Current): AMD Ryzen 9 3900X 12-core CPU | EVGA GeForce RTX 2080 Ti Black Edition | Gigabyte X570 Aorus Ultra | Full Custom Loop | 32GB (4x8GB) Dominator Platinum SE Blackout #338/500 | 1TB + 2TB M.2 NVMe PCIe 4.0 SSDs, 480GB SATA 2.5" SSD, 8TB 7200 RPM NAS HDD | EVGA NU Audio | Corsair 900D | Corsair AX1200i | Corsair ML120 2-pack 5x + ML140 2-pack

The Storm (Retired): Intel Core i7-5930K | Asus ROG STRIX GeForce GTX 1080 Ti | Asus ROG RAMPAGE V EDITION 10 | EKWB EK-KIT P360 with Hardware Labs Black Ice SR2 Multiport 480 | 32GB (4x8GB) Dominator Platinum SE Blackout #338/500 | 480GB SATA 2.5" SSD + 3TB 5400 RPM NAS HDD + 8TB 7200 RPM NAS HDD | Corsair 900D | Corsair AX1200i + Black/Blue CableMod cables | Corsair ML120 2-pack 2x + NB-BlackSilentPro PL-2 x3

STRONK COOLZ 9000

Spoiler

EK-Quantum Momentum X570 Aorus Master monoblock | EK-FC RTX 2080 + Ti Classic RGB Waterblock and Backplate | EK-XRES 140 D5 PWM Pump/Res Combo | 2x Hardware Labs Black Ice SR2 480 MP and 1x SR2 240 MP | 10X Corsair ML120 PWM fans | A mixture of EK-KIT fittings and EK-Torque STC fittings and adapters | Mayhems 10/13mm clear tubing | Mayhems X1 Eco UV Blue coolant | Bitspower G1/4 Temperature Probe Fitting

DESK TOIS

Spoiler

Glorious Modular Mechanical Keyboard | Glorious Model D Featherweight Mouse | 2x BenQ PD3200Q 32" 1440p IPS displays + BenQ BL3200PT 32" 1440p VA display | Mackie ProFX10v3 USB Mixer + Marantz MPM-1000 Mic | Sennheiser HD 598 SE Headphones | 2x ADAM Audio T5V 5" Powered Studio Monitors + ADAM Audio T10S Powered Studio Subwoofer | Logitech G920 Driving Force Steering Wheel and Pedal Kit + Driving Force Shifter | Logitech C922x 720p 60FPS Webcam | Xbox One Wireless Controller

QUOTES

Spoiler

"So because they didn't give you the results you want, they're biased? You realize that makes you biased, right?" - @App4that

"Brand loyalty/fanboyism is stupid." - Unknown person on these forums

"Assuming kills" - @Moondrelor

"That's not to say that Nvidia is always better, or that AMD isn't worth owning. But the fact remains that this forum is AMD biased." - @App4that

"I'd imagine there's exceptions to this trend - but just going on mine and my acquaintances' purchase history, we've found that budget cards often require you to turn off certain features to get slick performance, even though those technologies are previous gen and should be having a negligible impact" - ace42

"2K" is not 2560 x 1440 

5 minutes ago, Notional said:

Things PCPer has concluded (via own testing AND AMD official statements to them):

There is no difference between pro and gaming mode in performance. It is simply settings (and perhaps some support under pro) that is the difference.

The card will indeed run at 1600mhz.

Now, this is NOT a gaming card. Its focus is still on content creation, and AMD has stated that gamers should wait on the RX version with RX drivers.

Any logical person should understand that this is not a gaming card, when it at 50% higher clock speed with same amount of stream processors, is slower or equal to Fiji. There would be no point to make the Vega architecture if its IPC is much much worse than the previous Fiji chip.

Acting as if AMD has never done that before... *Looks at Bulldozer vs K10*

Main Gaming PC - i9 10850k @ 5GHz - EVGA XC Ultra 2080ti with Heatkiller 4 - Asrock Z490 Taichi - Corsair H115i - 32GB GSkill Ripjaws V 3600 CL16 OC'd to 3733 - HX850i - Samsung NVME 256GB SSD - Samsung 3.2TB PCIe 8x Enterprise NVMe - Toshiba 3TB 7200RPM HD - Lian Li Air

Proxmox Server - i7 8700k @ 4.5Ghz - 32GB EVGA 3000 CL15 OC'd to 3200 - Asus Strix Z370-E Gaming - Oracle F80 800GB Enterprise SSD, LSI SAS running 3 4TB and 2 6TB (Both Raid Z0), Samsung 840Pro 120GB - Phanteks Enthoo Pro

Super Server - i9 7980Xe @ 4.5GHz - 64GB 3200MHz Cl16 - Asrock X299 Professional - Nvidia Telsa K20 -Sandisk 512GB Enterprise SATA SSD, 128GB Seagate SATA SSD, 1.5TB WD Green (Over 9 years of power on time) - Phanteks Enthoo Pro 2

Laptop - 2019 Macbook Pro 16" - i7 - 16GB - 512GB - 5500M 8GB - Thermal Pads and Graphite Tape modded

Smart Phones - iPhone X - 64GB, AT&T, iOS 13.3 iPhone 6 : 16gb, AT&T, iOS 12 iPhone 4 : 16gb, AT&T Go Phone, iOS 7.1.1 Jailbroken. iPhone 3G : 8gb, AT&T Go Phone, iOS 4.2.1 Jailbroken.

19 minutes ago, MageTank said:

Yeah, I just turned the stream off. Going to wait for a written review and a better testing methodology. Watching him do fallout 4 also made me question their methodology as it looked like he was only half-way paying attention. The runs were pretty inconsistent. 

The lack of using standard deviations in game benchmarking still bugs me... a lot.

1 minute ago, Hunter259 said:

Acting as if AMD has never done that before... *Looks at Bulldozer vs K10*

maybe the fact that they changed the cache could have a bad effect on software made for older gcn?

6 minutes ago, cj09beira said:

maybe the fact that they changed the cache could have a bad effect on software made for older gcn?

It's speculated that Vega is using tiled rasterization, similar to what NVIDIA did when they made Maxwell 2.

So that shouldn't really have an effect on anything considering Maxwell 2 performed admirably well across the board.