Vega FE benchmarked by random dude

Its been stated that FE is using the crimson 17.1.1 as fall back when gaming by RTG rep. 

This means nothing of the new Vega features are in effect thus explaining the weird results.

Who ever thought it was good idea to release this card in this state needs to be looking for new job.

Hell you waited a year, what is another month??? Mind boggling stuff. 

Slowly...In the hollows of the trees, In the shadow of the leaves, In the space between the waves, In the whispers of the wind,In the bottom of the well, In the darkness of the eaves...

Slowly places that had been silent for who knows how long... Stopped being Silent.

6 minutes ago, 3DOSH said:

Its been stated that FE is using the crimson 17.1.1 as fall back when gaming by RTG rep. 

This means nothing of the new Vega features are in effect thus explaining the weird results.

Who ever thought it was good idea to release this card in this state needs to be looking for new job.

Hell you waited a year, what is another month??? Mind boggling stuff. 

Why? it is not a gaming card, so why is the gaming performance important?

if you want to annoy me, then join my teamspeak server ts.benja.cc

Just now, The Benjamins said:

Maybe because people are insecure and worred that AMD will topple Nvidia from GPU king. 

Now people will use anything to proof that Vega will be a flop. 

2 minutes ago, Its Not Important said:

Maybe because people are insecure and worred that AMD will topple Nvidia from GPU king. 

Now people will use anything to proof that Vega will be a flop. 

how many times does AMD have to say it is not a gaming card and to wait for RX Vega.

The point of the card is to get a great workstation performance which it does, and be able to swap quickly to test it in a game environment, well hey it does that too.

It is faster right now then a 580 and 1070 and in early game development you don't care about top FPS but does it work.

I would expect this Card to get better when RX Vega is out.

2 minutes ago, The Benjamins said:

how many times does AMD have to say it is not a gaming card and to wait for RX Vega.

The point of the card is to get a great workstation performance which it does, and be able to swap quickly to test it in a game environment, well hey it does that too.

It is faster right now then a 580 and 1070 and in early game development you don't care about top FPS but does it work.

I would expect this Card to get better when RX Vega is out.

Well yeah, but maniacs will always think otherwise. 

7 hours ago, mr moose said:

Ahhhhh, the arguments they used against/for the titan have come back to be used for AMD.  Its not a gaming card, it is a gaming card, its not workstation card, it is a workstation card.  

What is in a name, should a titan be called that by any other name, would it not still be over priced for what it does in crysis?

Are you sure you can compare them though? The first Titan's might have had a point, in that they could do double precision fairly well. However, Maxwell and Pascal Titan's are only standard GTX cards with double amount of VRAM and uses GTX gaming drivers. By all definitions, Titan cards the last couple of generations have been gaming cards.

Vega on the other hand, might be a gaming GPU, but it comes with pro drivers. It can change to gaming drivers too, but those seems to be secondary, with low performance and doesn't seem to be optimized for anything. By all accounts, I would say this is a semi pro card, mostly for devs/content creators.

That being said, Vega could be bad at gaming, and simply be a better pro card than gaming. But it's way too early to say anything about that.

The problem for AMD atm, is the lack of R&D resources. AMD is forced to make 1 architecture to suit both pro and gaming markets. That is not very effective, and one of the reasons why GCN has always been such brutal compute cards. When AMD gets more money, I'm sure we will see a split in architectures for gaming and prop cards, just like Nvidia.

Watching Intel have competition is like watching a headless chicken trying to get out of a mine field

CPU: Intel I7 4790K@4.6 with NZXT X31 AIO; MOTHERBOARD: ASUS Z97 Maximus VII Ranger; RAM: 8 GB Kingston HyperX 1600 DDR3; GFX: ASUS R9 290 4GB; CASE: Lian Li v700wx; STORAGE: Corsair Force 3 120GB SSD; Samsung 850 500GB SSD; Various old Seagates; PSU: Corsair RM650; MONITOR: 2x 20" Dell IPS; KEYBOARD/MOUSE: Logitech K810/ MX Master; OS: Windows 10 Pro

1 hour ago, The Benjamins said:

It doesn't matter what AMD says the card is or not, that's not the point.

Vega is the most anticipated Gpu launch this year, which ever card AMD first released was gonna be tested with games and AMD KNOWS that that's why they said wait for the RX line.

It's Pro consumer card, means it does both not one thing.

PC per even said they were gonna bench it with games.

AMD dropped the ball with this specific card not Vega. 

Slowly...In the hollows of the trees, In the shadow of the leaves, In the space between the waves, In the whispers of the wind,In the bottom of the well, In the darkness of the eaves...

Slowly places that had been silent for who knows how long... Stopped being Silent.

don't know if this was already posted or mentioned

59551aa5d88b2_vegafegamingmode.jpg.c2ce8d41ed3f3bc53d88b8419d12ecb6.jpg

Intel Xeon E5 1650 v3 @ 3.5GHz 6C:12T / CM212 Evo / Asus X99 Deluxe / 16GB (4x4GB) DDR4 3000 Trident-Z / Samsung 850 Pro 256GB / Intel 335 240GB / WD Red 2 & 3TB / Antec 850w / RTX 2070 / Win10 Pro x64

HP Envy X360 15: Intel Core i5 8250U @ 1.6GHz 4C:8T / 8GB DDR4 / Intel UHD620 + Nvidia GeForce MX150 4GB / Intel 120GB SSD / Win10 Pro x64

HP Envy x360 BP series Intel 8th gen

AMD ThreadRipper 2!

5820K & 6800K 3-way SLI mobo support list

Just now, 3DOSH said:

It doesn't matter what AMD says the card is or not, that's not the point.

Vega is the most anticipated Gpu launch this year, which ever card AMD first released was gonna be tested with games and AMD KNOWS that that's why they said wait for the RX line.

It's Pro consumer card, means it does both not one thing.

PC per even said they were gonna bench it with games.

AMD dropped the ball with this specific card not Vega. 

Well, that sucks for the people that believe this will be it. I feel they are doing this to ensure that they will be able to refine RX vega and Pro Vega better before launch.

It is neat to see the results but this is no indication of preformance.

2 minutes ago, Valentyn said:

Turns out the gaming driver in Frontier Edition is the old wrong one, at 17.1.1.

https://forum.beyond3d.com/threads/amd-vega-10-vega-11-and-vega-20-rumors-and-discussion.59649/page-119#post-1989522

g6R9FW5HRN_7O5N57lUH1g.png

EvrfCmkaSrqf0mRKz5jckw.png

Yep which explains everything but not why AMD rushed the launch with old gaming driver instead of waiting one more month and not hurting VEGA hype regarding it's gaming capability. Oh because they wanted high margin card for the rich people of the world.

1 minute ago, Valentyn said:

Turns out the gaming driver in Frontier Edition is the old wrong one, at 17.1.1.

https://forum.beyond3d.com/threads/amd-vega-10-vega-11-and-vega-20-rumors-and-discussion.59649/page-119#post-1989522

g6R9FW5HRN_7O5N57lUH1g.png

EvrfCmkaSrqf0mRKz5jckw.png

It also strikes me that the driver engine for the FE should be setup to "work" rather than be optimized for raw performance. If it's for Design & Dev work, you want baseline compatibility. This is the reason his clocks were dropping in games, more than likely, as the driver just simply wasn't allowing the game engine to provide enough data to compute.  

So, for its actual purpose, the FE seems great. For gaming, it's not cost comparative for the Titan Xp. Oh well.

2 minutes ago, 3DOSH said:

Yep which explains everything but not why AMD rushed the launch with old gaming driver instead of waiting one more month and not hurting VEGA hype regarding it's gaming capability. Oh because they wanted high margin card for the rich people of the world.

HBM2 supply issues, more than likely. The FE was the one they could get to market first.  And, frankly, it's quite ready for its actual job. 

I also think some anti-Hype might be a good idea, as it's much more the fan community that's really worked themselves up for Vega.  Mostly because competition really helps in the computer space.

5 minutes ago, 3DOSH said:

3 minutes ago, Taf the Ghost said:

It also strikes me that the driver engine for the FE should be setup to "work" rather than be optimized for raw performance. If it's for Design & Dev work, you want baseline compatibility. This is the reason his clocks were dropping in games, more than likely, as the driver just simply wasn't allowing the game engine to provide enough data to compute.  

So, for its actual purpose, the FE seems great. For gaming, it's not cost comparative for the Titan Xp. Oh well.

AMD royally screwed up this launch. Once the reviews are out there, they stick. They're launch day reviews, and many places just recycle those results in the coming months and years when reviewing newer GPUs.

AMD had to relaunch the RX 480 as the 580 to get away from the abysmal launch day reviews where the 480 was competing against the 970, and not the 980/1060.

Someone at HQ needs to sort out the damn GPU marketing department, this launch is a massive flop that's severely hurting AMD in the eyes of the internet. It's spreading like wild fire. "Vega barely faster than FuryX/1070, can barely get close to 1080"

Public perception and mindshare is extremely important. This entire launch could have been handled better by people on this forum; compared to the folks at RTG marketing.

5950X | NH D15S | 64GB 3200Mhz | RTX 3090 | ASUS PG348Q+MG278Q

PcPer have their Frontier Edition!
1EQG0QT8TFuuvKAlLelQnA.png

4 minutes ago, 3DOSH said:

I think the goal was to use this release to tune both RX and Pro cards. I think it is a good idea to get a nicer gaming and pro card launch.

4 minutes ago, The Benjamins said:

I think the goal was to use this release to tune both RX and Pro cards. I think it is a good idea to get a nicer gaming and pro card launch.

@3DOSH

AMD Rushed it for one reason. Shareholders. They promised Vega by Q2 2017.

Vega Frontier Edition has made that promise with a few days to spare.

16 minutes ago, Valentyn said:

PcPer have their Frontier Edition!

They're going live in approx 2hrs for some live benching.  This one should offer some actual insight.

:edit: derp.  ninja'd 

24 minutes ago, The Benjamins said:

Tuning happens in the lab with all the tools at your disposal. My point is this: first impressions are everything now a days, half the use case of this card is gaming, it's 13 teraflops beast and still not on our with 1080.

RX Vega needs to knock it out the park now .

14 minutes ago, 3DOSH said:

Tuning happens in the lab with all the tools at your disposal. My point is this: first impressions are everything now a days, half the use case of this card is gaming, it's 13 teraflops beast and still not on our with 1080.

RX Vega needs to knock it out the park now .

Hell man, it loses to an overclocked Fury X in 3Dmark! Makes no sense, it's all over the place right now.

2 hours ago, Valentyn said:

AMD royally screwed up this launch. Once the reviews are out there, they stick. They're launch day reviews, and many places just recycle those results in the coming months and years when reviewing newer GPUs.

But these are not launch reviews or reviews at all, user benchmarks are not the same thing and unless you are well, frankly utterly stupid, no one is going to mistake them as anything else. When the actual reviews come out they will get recycled as you say like always but these aren't those.

Public perception and mindshare is extremely important.

This is the actual issue.

That blue looks soooooo good!

CPU: Intel Core i7-5820K | Motherboard: AsRock X99 Extreme4 | Graphics Card: Gigabyte GTX 1080 G1 Gaming | RAM: 16GB G.Skill Ripjaws4 2133MHz | Storage: 1 x Samsung 860 EVO 1TB | 1 x WD Green 2TB | 1 x WD Blue 500GB | PSU: Corsair RM750x | Case: Phanteks Enthoo Pro (White) | Cooling: Arctic Freezer i32

Mice: Logitech G Pro X Superlight (main), Logitech G Pro Wireless, Razer Viper Ultimate, Zowie S1 Divina Blue, Zowie FK1-B Divina Blue, Logitech G Pro (3366 sensor), Glorious Model O, Razer Viper Mini, Logitech G305, Logitech G502, Logitech G402

20 minutes ago, PCGuy_5960 said:

That blue looks soooooo good!

Damn right!  

Apparently the temps average out at 83, same as NVIDIA reference. Issue is, PcPer are seeing average clocks of 1440Mhz on it at "stock" settings.

So looks great, is pants :P

Just now, Valentyn said:

Damn right!  

Apparently the temps average out at 83, same as NVIDIA reference. Issue is, PcPer are seeing average clocks of 1440Mhz on it at "stock" settings.

Yep and at 1440MHz, it can barely match a 1070 (in Superposition, which is DX12).......

CPU: Intel Core i7-5820K | Motherboard: AsRock X99 Extreme4 | Graphics Card: Gigabyte GTX 1080 G1 Gaming | RAM: 16GB G.Skill Ripjaws4 2133MHz | Storage: 1 x Samsung 860 EVO 1TB | 1 x WD Green 2TB | 1 x WD Blue 500GB | PSU: Corsair RM750x | Case: Phanteks Enthoo Pro (White) | Cooling: Arctic Freezer i32

Mice: Logitech G Pro X Superlight (main), Logitech G Pro Wireless, Razer Viper Ultimate, Zowie S1 Divina Blue, Zowie FK1-B Divina Blue, Logitech G Pro (3366 sensor), Glorious Model O, Razer Viper Mini, Logitech G305, Logitech G502, Logitech G402