eBay buyer claims CPU is DOA when I tested it prior to shipping

Poll  

86 members have voted

1. 1. What should I do?

• Refund the buyer the $24 for the CPU and let him keep the CPU, thus me losing $6.43 in eBay, PayPal, and shipping fees along with the $24 CPU
    • Refund the buyer the $24 for the CPU, but require it set back to me, thus me losing $9.10 in eBay, PayPal, and shipping fees and have a potentially dead CPU that would be worthless in it's dead state
    • Contest his claims with eBay, (to which I will most likely lose as eBay tends to favor buyers over sellers)

1 minute ago, Comic_Sans_MS said:

Honestly, I'd try and report him to ebay, explain to them that he isn't assisting you with the diagnostics, hopefully ebay will help you, but ebay is sketchy AF

i know, thats why I tried to sell this CPU on craigslist for the past month before putting it up on eBay. honestly when i sold stuff on Craigslist I NEVER had a problem with a transaction. Literally its just meet the buyer at a public location. Hand them the item, he or she pays with cash, and we both disappear. 

"Learn from yesterday, live for today, hope for tomorrow. The important thing is not to stop questioning." -Albert Einstein

5 hours ago, DXMember said:

I wen to the guys address - this is the pic I git:

vALJU72.jpg

Don't worry mate.

You probably forgot to plug in the 4pin CPU header.

\\ QUIET AUDIO WORKSTATION //

5960X 3.7GHz @ 0.983V / ASUS X99-A USB3.1      

32 GB G.Skill Ripjaws 4 & 2667MHz @ 1.2V

AMD R9 Fury X

256GB SM961 + 1TB Samsung 850 Evo  

Cooler Master Silencio 652S (soon Calyos NSG S0 ^^)              

Noctua NH-D15 / 3x NF-S12A                 

Seasonic PRIME Titanium 750W        

Logitech G810 Orion Spectrum / Logitech G900

2x Samsung S24E650BW 16:10  / Adam A7X / Fractal Axe Fx 2 Mark I

Windows 7 Ultimate

4K GAMING/EMULATION RIG

Xeon X5670 4.2Ghz (200BCLK) @ ~1.38V / Asus P6X58D Premium

12GB Corsair Vengeance 1600Mhz

Gainward GTX 1080 Golden Sample

Intel 535 Series 240 GB + San Disk SSD Plus 512GB

Corsair Crystal 570X

Noctua NH-S12 

Be Quiet Dark Rock 11 650W

Logitech K830

Xbox One Wireless Controller

Logitech Z623 Speakers/Subwoofer

Windows 10 Pro

4 hours ago, tom_w141 said:

In an honest world yes but unfortunately eBay heavily favours the buyer and will refund without proof of any kind. This + the fees are why I only buy on eBay and never sell, after being stung like this in the past. The protection from eBay/Paypal is very biased toward the buyer. Good luck but you are reliant on the buyer being a decent person which they don't seem to be. If he processes this through the eBay buyer protection he will get his money back and the item.

Good luck @glitchmaster0001

I agree it's hard on Ebay. But I still wouldn't give up without a fight.

Fuck the money, it's not a lot in this case, but I wouldn't wanna let a potential scammer get away with so easily.

\\ QUIET AUDIO WORKSTATION //

5960X 3.7GHz @ 0.983V / ASUS X99-A USB3.1      

32 GB G.Skill Ripjaws 4 & 2667MHz @ 1.2V

AMD R9 Fury X

256GB SM961 + 1TB Samsung 850 Evo  

Cooler Master Silencio 652S (soon Calyos NSG S0 ^^)              

Noctua NH-D15 / 3x NF-S12A                 

Seasonic PRIME Titanium 750W        

Logitech G810 Orion Spectrum / Logitech G900

2x Samsung S24E650BW 16:10  / Adam A7X / Fractal Axe Fx 2 Mark I

Windows 7 Ultimate

4K GAMING/EMULATION RIG

Xeon X5670 4.2Ghz (200BCLK) @ ~1.38V / Asus P6X58D Premium

12GB Corsair Vengeance 1600Mhz

Gainward GTX 1080 Golden Sample

Intel 535 Series 240 GB + San Disk SSD Plus 512GB

Corsair Crystal 570X

Noctua NH-S12 

Be Quiet Dark Rock 11 650W

Logitech K830

Xbox One Wireless Controller

Logitech Z623 Speakers/Subwoofer

Windows 10 Pro

5 hours ago, glitchmaster0001 said:

Is your money at a safe place? Did you withdraw it from PayPal and such?

No way I would refund this scammer. Contest it and accept the consequences if you give a shit about ebay and so on.

I had to learn this the hard way. In the future, video record that the item works before it is sent. I would send a contest against his claims. You don't know, you might win. If you don't then you have to refund, you don't know until you try.

Instructions for frustration management:  

1) Sit at desk.   2) Repeatedly slam forehead against desk.

I never said I was smart, just smart enough to be dangerous.

ORLY?

……..'|:::::::,': : : : : : :_„„-: : : : : : : : ~--„_: |'
………|::::::|: : : „--~~'''~~''''''''-„…_..„~''''''''''''¯|
………|:::::,':_„„-|: : :_„---~: : :|''¯¯''''|: ~---„_: ||
……..,~-,_/'': : : |:    ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°) : |: : : :|:  ( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)): \..|
……../,'-,: : : : : ''-,_______,-'': : : : ''-„_____|
……..\: :|: : : : : : : : : : : : : :„: : : : :-,: : : : : : : ?
………',:': : : : : : : : : : : : :,-'__: : : :_',: : : : ;: ,'
……….'-,-': : : : : :___„-: : :'': : ¯''~~'': ': : ~--|'
………….|: ,: : : : : : : : : : : : : : : : : : : : : :: :
………….'|: \: : : : : : : : -,„_„„-~~--~--„_: :: |
…………..|: \: : : : : : : : : : : :-------~: : : : : |
You have been visited by the propane god, I tell ya hwat. Repost this on 5 more profiles or Hank Hill will bring the propain.

- credit to, @Cinnabar Sonar

7 minutes ago, dual290x said:

If you don't then you have to refund, you don't know until you try.

Are you serious?

Why would he ever pay him back? I would rather lose my ebay account then give this scammer money.

* I JUST HAD THIS ISSUE MYSELF * 

My cpu was sold for $11, really old cpu. I bought the guy a prepaid shipping label to send it back to me and apparently he'd rather keep the "broken" cpu because he never shipped it. 

*edited to add*
You don't give him the return until you get the cpu back, in which case you can pop it in and test it and say yeah this is my cpu and it works fine. Then open a case with ebay and at minimum you get your shipping costs and fees back. 

Did you record the serial number? I've had people order a hard drive, claim it was DOA, and then ship me back a different drive that was dead. Thankfully I included the serial number in the pictures and notes I submitted to PayPal.

-KuJoe

As a fellow Ebay seller, I would contest the claim. They can be won as a seller. If you have proof of the CPU working, submit it to the dispute. Submit your packaging, benchmarks, and shipping label if you can. 

Cor Caeruleus Reborn v6

Spoiler

CPU: Intel - Core i7-8700K

CPU Cooler: be quiet! - PURE ROCK 
Thermal Compound: Arctic Silver - 5 High-Density Polysynthetic Silver 3.5g Thermal Paste 
Motherboard: ASRock Z370 Extreme4
Memory: G.Skill TridentZ RGB 2x8GB 3200/14
Storage: Samsung - 850 EVO-Series 500GB 2.5" Solid State Drive 
Storage: Samsung - 960 EVO 500GB M.2-2280 Solid State Drive
Storage: Western Digital - Blue 2TB 3.5" 5400RPM Internal Hard Drive
Storage: Western Digital - BLACK SERIES 3TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive
Video Card: EVGA - 970 SSC ACX (1080 is in RMA)
Case: Fractal Design - Define R5 w/Window (Black) ATX Mid Tower Case
Power Supply: EVGA - SuperNOVA P2 750W with CableMod blue/black Pro Series
Optical Drive: LG - WH16NS40 Blu-Ray/DVD/CD Writer 
Operating System: Microsoft - Windows 10 Pro OEM 64-bit and Linux Mint Serena
Keyboard: Logitech - G910 Orion Spectrum RGB Wired Gaming Keyboard
Mouse: Logitech - G502 Wired Optical Mouse
Headphones: Logitech - G430 7.1 Channel  Headset
Speakers: Logitech - Z506 155W 5.1ch Speakers

Make him send it back if it's really broken he should not dispute returning it chances are he won't want to bother with all that and just move on if not then I would test it and depending on that outcome I would file a claim against him.

My daily driver: The Wrath of Red: OS Windows 10 home edition / CPU Ryzen TR4 1950x 3.85GHz / Cooler Master MasterAir MA621P Twin-Tower RGB CPU Air Cooler / PSU Thermaltake Toughpower 750watt / ASRock x399 Taichi / Gskill Flare X 32GB DDR4 3200Mhz / HP 10GB Single Port Mellanox Connectx-2 PCI-E 10GBe NIC / Samsung 512GB 970 pro M.2 / ASUS GeForce GTX 1080 STRIX 8GB / Acer - H236HLbid 23.0" 1920x1080 60Hz Monitor x3

My technology Rig: The wizard: OS Windows 10 home edition / CPU Ryzen R7 1800x 3.95MHz / Corsair H110i / PSU Thermaltake Toughpower 750watt / ASUS CH 6 / Gskill Flare X 32GB DDR4 3200Mhz / HP 10GB Single Port Mellanox Connectx-2 PCI-E 10GBe NIC / 512GB 960 pro M.2 / ASUS GeForce GTX 1080 STRIX 8GB / Acer - H236HLbid 23.0" 1920x1080 60Hz Monitor HP Monitor

My I don't use RigOS Windows 10 home edition / CPU Ryzen 1600x 3.85GHz / Cooler Master MasterAir MA620P Twin-Tower RGB CPU Air Cooler / PSU Thermaltake Toughpower 750watt / MSI x370 Gaming Pro Carbon / Gskill Flare X 32GB DDR4 3200Mhz / Samsung PM961 256GB M.2 PCIe Internal SSDEVGA GeForce GTX 1050 Ti SSC GAMING / Acer - H236HLbid 23.0" 1920x1080 60Hz Monitor

My NAS: The storage miser: OS unRAID v. 6.9.0-beta25 / CPU Intel i7 6700 / Cooler Master MasterWatt Lite 500 Watt 80 Plus / ASUS Maximus viii Hero / 32GB Gskill RipJaw DDR4 3200Mhz / HP Mellanox ConnectX-2 10 GbE PCI-e G2 Dual SFP+ Ported Ethernet HCA NIC / 9 Drives total 29TB - 1 4TB seagate parity - 7 4TB WD Red data - 1 1TB laptop drive data - and 2 240GB Sandisk SSD's cache / Headless

Why did I buy this server: OS unRAID v. 6.9.0-beta25 / Dell R710 enterprise server with dual xeon E5530 / 48GB ecc ddr3 / Dell H310 6Gbps SAS HBA w/ LSI 9211-8i P20 IT / 4 450GB sas drives / headless

Just another server: OS Proxmox VE / Dell poweredge R410

Contest it, if you tested it prior to shipping any damage to it is not your fault. This si exactly what the contest system is supposed to be for, might as well use it for a matter of principle. If he can't prove his claims and refuses to offer any information on what exactly is wrong with it he shouldn't be refunded. Even if you contest and you lose you won't be worse off than giving him the refund right away, right?

I'd call ebay support first though, talk to a human being, try to figure out what the best course of action is with them.

Don't ask to ask, just ask... please 🤨

sudo chmod -R 000 /*

Is there any way to find out if he has a history of $%it like this?

My daily driver: The Wrath of Red: OS Windows 10 home edition / CPU Ryzen TR4 1950x 3.85GHz / Cooler Master MasterAir MA621P Twin-Tower RGB CPU Air Cooler / PSU Thermaltake Toughpower 750watt / ASRock x399 Taichi / Gskill Flare X 32GB DDR4 3200Mhz / HP 10GB Single Port Mellanox Connectx-2 PCI-E 10GBe NIC / Samsung 512GB 970 pro M.2 / ASUS GeForce GTX 1080 STRIX 8GB / Acer - H236HLbid 23.0" 1920x1080 60Hz Monitor x3

My technology Rig: The wizard: OS Windows 10 home edition / CPU Ryzen R7 1800x 3.95MHz / Corsair H110i / PSU Thermaltake Toughpower 750watt / ASUS CH 6 / Gskill Flare X 32GB DDR4 3200Mhz / HP 10GB Single Port Mellanox Connectx-2 PCI-E 10GBe NIC / 512GB 960 pro M.2 / ASUS GeForce GTX 1080 STRIX 8GB / Acer - H236HLbid 23.0" 1920x1080 60Hz Monitor HP Monitor

My I don't use RigOS Windows 10 home edition / CPU Ryzen 1600x 3.85GHz / Cooler Master MasterAir MA620P Twin-Tower RGB CPU Air Cooler / PSU Thermaltake Toughpower 750watt / MSI x370 Gaming Pro Carbon / Gskill Flare X 32GB DDR4 3200Mhz / Samsung PM961 256GB M.2 PCIe Internal SSDEVGA GeForce GTX 1050 Ti SSC GAMING / Acer - H236HLbid 23.0" 1920x1080 60Hz Monitor

My NAS: The storage miser: OS unRAID v. 6.9.0-beta25 / CPU Intel i7 6700 / Cooler Master MasterWatt Lite 500 Watt 80 Plus / ASUS Maximus viii Hero / 32GB Gskill RipJaw DDR4 3200Mhz / HP Mellanox ConnectX-2 10 GbE PCI-e G2 Dual SFP+ Ported Ethernet HCA NIC / 9 Drives total 29TB - 1 4TB seagate parity - 7 4TB WD Red data - 1 1TB laptop drive data - and 2 240GB Sandisk SSD's cache / Headless

Why did I buy this server: OS unRAID v. 6.9.0-beta25 / Dell R710 enterprise server with dual xeon E5530 / 48GB ecc ddr3 / Dell H310 6Gbps SAS HBA w/ LSI 9211-8i P20 IT / 4 450GB sas drives / headless

Just another server: OS Proxmox VE / Dell poweredge R410

Contest it. Make sure to get it back to test though. 

If you still have the box or recorded the CPU batch number that could help in case the seller tries the old switcharoo. Very rare that you'll find back to back batch numbers. 

Our Grace. The Feathered One. He shows us the way. His bob is majestic and shows us the path. Follow unto his guidance and His example. He knows the one true path. Our Saviour. Our Grace. Our Father Birb has taught us with His humble heart and gentle wing the way of the bob. Let us show Him our reverence and follow in His example. The True Path of the Feathered One. ~ Dimboble-dubabob III

Refund it and make a claim with shipping, if it was insured.

M1 MacBook Air 256/8 | iPhone 13 pro

Contest it, be sure to get the cpu back and it is the same one you sent out.

My eyes see the past…

My camera lens sees the present…

Ah that sucks :S I'm not sure what I'd do, never been in that situation. But if you're certain it worked, I'd fight it. From now on, you should take a video testing hardware the day before it's shipped.. Put the day's new paper in it or something to confirm. Then people can bitch and whine all they want, you'd have solid proof it functioned

Ryzen 7 2700x, MSI Gaming X RX 480 8gb, Asus ROG X470 Gaming, 2x8gb Corsair Vengeance LPX 3000, 120gb Kingston SSD (Boot) + 1TB Seagate Barracuda.

I had someone try to pull a fast one on me on ebay. Sold him LG Nexus 5 smartphone and clearly listed what accessories were included (e.g. original box, warranty information, manual). The guy got the phone within the week, turns out he was relatively local, and immediately contacted me asking where the charger was. I kindly clarified that the charger wasn't included in the shipment because I clearly stated it wasn't included in my listing. He bitched and bitched, then left me negative feedback stating the phone was rusted (completely made that up). I contacted ebay to have the feedback removed... and they didn't. Worth noting the feedback fell off after the 1 year mark, so my rating now shows 100% again.

I vowed to have my revenge though. So 2-3 months later, I went to poopsenders.com and anonymously mailed him a box of elephant shit. 

Lesson learned: I don't sell on ebay anymore. It's not worth the headaches. I'd rather list things to sell locally on craigslist or deal with reputable buyers on Hardforum.com

5 minutes ago, Frankieanime158 said:

Ah that sucks :S I'm not sure what I'd do, never been in that situation. But if you're certain it worked, I'd fight it. From now on, you should take a video testing hardware the day before it's shipped.. Put the day's new paper in it or something to confirm. Then people can bitch and whine all they want, you'd have solid proof it functioned

They could argue it's not the same exact item. I have 12 Intel C2D E8400 currently for example.

Just now, dexT said:

They could argue it's not the same exact item. I have 12 Intel C2D E8400 currently for example.

Hmm.. Yea that's true. Don't CPUs have individual numbers on the plate? .-. I've never had more then 1 of a CPU so I'm not sure :P 

Ryzen 7 2700x, MSI Gaming X RX 480 8gb, Asus ROG X470 Gaming, 2x8gb Corsair Vengeance LPX 3000, 120gb Kingston SSD (Boot) + 1TB Seagate Barracuda.

5 minutes ago, Frankieanime158 said:

Hmm.. Yea that's true. Don't CPUs have individual numbers on the plate? .-. I've never had more then 1 of a CPU so I'm not sure :P 

I'm not sure if it's a sticker or silkscreen on the Core 2 pcb.

3 minutes ago, dexT said:

I'm not sure if it's a sticker or silkscreen on the Core 2 pcb.

On Intel CPUs without the heatspreader, I tend to see stickers instead of silkscreening. However, there should be a serial number or other identifying info when it's plugged into a motherboard, assuming it actually works.

My eyes see the past…

12 minutes ago, spartanvi said:

I vowed to have my revenge though. So 2-3 months later, I went to poopsenders.com and anonymously mailed him a box of elephant shit. 

This website actually does that? Is it worth spending money on a piece of poo (the scammer) to send him more poo?

My eyes see the past…

I'd fight it just so the fact that you disagree and had tested it prior to shipping is on file. If this person does this often, then the more claims he has countered will help other sellers in the future.

I recently got a motherboard/CPU combo shipped to me from the US. The seller didn't put anything to protect it during shipment, and and the cooler was loose (Intel stock), rattling around over the motherboard. I filed a claim and got a full refund because the seller never bothered responding after 3 weeks. I got to keep the hardware.

You might ultimately lose, but you'll help others in the long run.

CPU: Ryzen 9 5900 Cooler: EVGA CLC280 Motherboard: Gigabyte B550i Pro AX RAM: Kingston Hyper X 32GB 3200mhz

Storage: WD 750 SE 500GB, WD 730 SE 1TB GPU: EVGA RTX 3070 Ti PSU: Corsair SF750 Case: Streacom DA2

Monitor: LG 27GL83B Mouse: Razer Basilisk V2 Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red Speakers: Mackie CR5BT

MiniPC - Sold for $100 Profit

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i3 4160 Cooler: Integrated Motherboard: Integrated

RAM: G.Skill RipJaws 16GB DDR3 Storage: Transcend MSA370 128GB GPU: Intel 4400 Graphics

PSU: Integrated Case: Shuttle XPC Slim

Monitor: LG 29WK500 Mouse: G.Skill MX780 Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red

Budget Rig 1 - Sold For $750 Profit

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i5 7600k Cooler: CryOrig H7 Motherboard: MSI Z270 M5

RAM: Crucial LPX 16GB DDR4 Storage: Intel S3510 800GB GPU: Nvidia GTX 980

PSU: Corsair CX650M Case: EVGA DG73

Monitor: LG 29WK500 Mouse: G.Skill MX780 Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red

OG Gaming Rig - Gone

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i5 4690k Cooler: Corsair H100i V2 Motherboard: MSI Z97i AC ITX

RAM: Crucial Ballistix 16GB DDR3 Storage: Kingston Fury 240GB GPU: Asus Strix GTX 970

PSU: Thermaltake TR2 Case: Phanteks Enthoo Evolv ITX

Monitor: Dell P2214H x2 Mouse: Logitech MX Master Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red

4 hours ago, KuJoe said:

Did you record the serial number? I've had people order a hard drive, claim it was DOA, and then ship me back a different drive that was dead. Thankfully I included the serial number in the pictures and notes I submitted to PayPal.

yeah I have the FPO and ATPO numbers on the CPU. Though honestly i don't know why would someone go through all this trouble over a $24 CPU... like i bet you can work at some minium wage place for 2 hours or so and make that much money rather than spend more time filing fake claims to eBay and wasting other people's money and time just to get a 10 year old $24 CPU.. 

"Learn from yesterday, live for today, hope for tomorrow. The important thing is not to stop questioning." -Albert Einstein