Bitcoin Skyrockets, Hits Record High of $1147.

Bitcoin value has gone through the roof after recent senate hearing regarding virtual currencies, rising from $60 after the bubble burst in April to reach a record high of over a $1000 just last week.
Even Ben Bernanke, current chairman of the Federal Reserve remarked that virtual currencies “may hold long term promise” in an open letter to Senator Thomas Carper.

Bitcoin is a highly volatile but very popular virtual currency that delivers unmatched security & anonymity.
http://www.coindesk.com/bitcoin-price-skyrockets-senate-hearing-concludes/

O_O holsy shit 

nvm this was the same 900 pike

this is one of the greatest thing that has happened to me recently, and it happened on this forum, those involved have my eternal gratitude http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/198850-update-alex-got-his-moto-g2-lets-get-a-moto-g-for-alexgoeshigh-unofficial/ :')

i use to have the second best link in the world here, but it died ;_; its a 404 now but it will always be here

I was thinking about buying a bitcoin when it was $93, but didn't. Now am thinking back about how I should be slapped

CPU: i7-4770k CPU Cooler: NH-D14 RAM: Crucial Ballistix Sport 8gb GPU: EVGA Superclocked 780 ti MOBO: ASUS Maximus VI Gene PSU: Corsair RM 850 Case: Bitfenix Prodigy M

I was thinking about buying a bitcoin when it was $93, but didn't. Now am thinking back about how I should be slapped

Every stock salesman says the same but about XXX stock.

I wanted to smash my head when I heard that bitcoins were 400 that I could buy them when they were like 10.. now I smash my head that I did not get some when they were 400 ... :(

(lol sorry for that english!)

BTW: looking for time machine.. PM me if you know someone who can rent me one

Every stock salesman says the same but about XXX stock.

I realize that, but I missed out on $1000. The only reason I didn't buy it was because I was saving up for my PC (still am) and didn't want to waste the money

CPU: i7-4770k CPU Cooler: NH-D14 RAM: Crucial Ballistix Sport 8gb GPU: EVGA Superclocked 780 ti MOBO: ASUS Maximus VI Gene PSU: Corsair RM 850 Case: Bitfenix Prodigy M

I used to have 4 bitcoins when they were worth about $5 and i stopped mining on my laptop because it was not worth much and did not expect it to go up so i forgot about it and the hardrive crashed with my wallet on it so i just gave up forever.

Usually when Bitcoins go up, litecoins follow right behind.  They were $2 about 2 weeks ago, and close to $10 now.

Main rig: i7 3770K @ 4.54, Sapphire R9 290, Sabertooth Z77, 16 GB Mushkin Redline 2133, Lian Li PC-P50R, Seasonic 860xp Platinum, Kingston Hyper X 3K 240GB

freeNAS server: AMD Athlon II 170u 20W, 5 x 3TB WD Red in raid-z1 (12 TB)

media centre: AMD A10-5700, crucial M4 (boot), running XBMC,4 x 3TB WD Red, 3 x 3TB WD green + 2TB green in FlexRAID (17 TB)

It was a coincident that the price increase occurred during, or around the US senate hearing. Bitcoin is not centered or affected by the US government. 

Bitcoin is a distributed global phenomenon, which wont be affected by any single, or group of governments. It's been the recent interest in China that has driven the price up. The Chinese exchanges have been leading the way for over a month now. BTCchina peaked at around $1300 if converted into USD. Right now, the BTCchina is trading at roughly $930 USD, while other exchanges are averaging 795

Everyone should remember, it's not "too late" to look into, and even invest in Bitcoin and digital Crypto-Currencies.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qHUPPYzzZrI

You keep using that word. I do not think it means what you think it means.
Users cannot, and will not securely manage key material. Most users can't and the ones that can, wont.

Ask me about Bitcoin, Litecoin, Crypto-Currencies, and/or Mining them.

I used to have 4 bitcoins when they were worth about $5 and i stopped mining on my laptop because it was not worth much and did not expect it to go up so i forgot about it and the hardrive crashed with my wallet on it so i just gave up forever.

Well for 4 bitcoins converting to $4588, depending what currency of course, why wouldn't you send the hdd off to a data recovery center?

I can't imagine it would cost $4000 and who knows you might get a decent amount converting. 

CPU: AMD FX-8350 - Noctua NH-D14 | Asus Crosshair V Formula | 16GB Kingston HyperX | Plextor M5P Extreme 256GB SSD

GPU - Asus AMD Radeon 6950 Direct CU II 2GB |

Seasonic 1000 W Platinum | Cooler Master 690 ii Advanced | Asus VE248H + VE248Q

This is the beginning of the crash, use it while you can!

I really need to find my Wallet ID or w/e... I have half a bitcoin that I have no idea where it is lol.

But how would you have felt if the value had gone done to only a few dollars?

Desktop: Intel Core i7-6700K, ASUS Z170-A, ASUS STRIX GTX 1080 Ti, 16GB DDR4 RAM, 512 GB Samsund 840 Pro, Seasonic X series 650W PSU, Fractal Design Define R4, 2x5TB HDD

Hypervisor 1: Intel Xeon E5-2630L, ASRock EPC612D8, 16GB DDR4 ECC RAM, Intel RT3WB080 8-port RAID controller plus expansion card, Norco RPC-4020 case, 20x2TB WD Red HDD

Other spare hypervisors: Dell Poweredge 2950, HP Proliant DL380 G5

Laptops: ThinkPads, lots of ThinkPads

But how would you have felt if the value had gone done to only a few dollars?

I would have been smart and held onto it until it went up.

It was a coincident that the price increase occurred during, or around the US senate hearing. Bitcoin is not centered or affected by the US government. 

Bitcoin is a distributed global phenomenon, which wont be affected by any single, or group of governments. It's been the recent interest in China that has driven the price up. The Chinese exchanges have been leading the way for over a month now. BTCchina peaked at around $1300 if converted into USD. Right now, the BTCchina is trading at roughly $930 USD, while other exchanges are averaging 795

Everyone should remember, it's not "too late" to look into, and even invest in Bitcoin and digital Crypto-Currencies.

Bitcoins are very much affected by the US government. Since the value is purely based on speculation, major events like that will affect the value. I'd even argue that Bitcoins are quite centralized because of Mt.Gox which basically has a monopoly on bitcoin exchanges, and they have proven again and again that they use their monopoly to manipulate the price of bitcoins. Every time the bubble (which it definitely is, and it has popped several times in the past) has been about to burst, Mt.Gox "crashes" and nobody can make any transfers. Users with a lot of bitcoins can manipulate the market as well, as we saw about a year ago when the bubble bursted. Users with a ton of bitcoins were transfering back and fourth with huge sums to artificially increase the average sale price.

Bitcoins are extremely volatile and it is a bubble/tulips. Babies first stock market. Never invest anything you can't afford to lose.

Here is a comparison of the bitcoin trend that happened a few months ago (during the last burst), the dotcom bubble, and the normal stages of a bubble.

Blue = Bitcoin prices

Think red = dotcom bubble

Thick red = normal stages of a bubble (I think it's based on the tulip crash actually)

post-216-0-43732500-1385286374.png

Notice anything similar? Oh and this is not the first time...

post-216-0-78674900-1385286547_thumb.png

To repeat myself, never invest anything you can't afford to lose. For every dollar someone makes out of bitcoins, someone else loses a dollar. Many people are making fortunes, and many people are losing their life savings and going into debt. It is very, very high risk.

Bitcoin is currently so volatile currency that you might loose a lot if you bought bitcoins right now. It has become more and more a speculative currency for the wealthy and criminals. If earning some money is your motivation, I would suggest investing into stocks. Obviously you have to know what you are doing but you can earn decent money if you invest your money wisely. People are often interested in Bitcoin because it's potentially a fast way to earn a lot of money but with a high risk.

Intel i7 4770k | Corsair H100i | Asus Maximus VI Extreme | 16Gb Corsair Dominator Platinum 1866MHz | Asus GTX 780 SLI | Samsung 830 Pro 256GB + 6TB WD Red | Asus Xonar Phoebus | Corsair AX860i | Corsair 900D | Win 8 Pro 64-bit | 2 x Dell U2412M | Logitech G710+ | Logitech G602

I know alot of friends of mine that already cashed out, that now regret it a lot

a lot*

It's easy to have 20/20 hindsight. You could say the exact same thing about the stock market. You should have invested in Apple, you should have invested in Google, you should have invested in LinkedIn. The list goes on and on. People just go mad (as in crazy) if they think "I should have done X and Y instead of Z" all the time. I've seen lots of people do the exact opposite, and waited too long before they sold, and they lost thousands of dollars as a result.

How much longer until people will not be able to afford it?

Yeah, because you can only buy individual bitcoins, right?

#ignoranceisvirtuous