i5 4690k isn't bottle necking my 1080ti is it?

Normally shouldn't, but there are always exceptions

CPU: i7-2600K 4751MHz 1.44V (software) --> 1.47V at the back of the socket Motherboard: Asrock Z77 Extreme4 (BCLK: 103.3MHz) CPU Cooler: Noctua NH-D15 RAM: Adata XPG 2x8GB DDR3 (XMP: 2133MHz 10-11-11-30 CR2, custom: 2203MHz 10-11-10-26 CR1 tRFC:230 tREFI:14000) GPU: Asus GTX 1070 Dual (Super Jetstream vbios, +70(2025-2088MHz)/+400(8.8Gbps)) SSD: Samsung 840 Pro 256GB (main boot drive), Transcend SSD370 128GB PSU: Seasonic X-660 80+ Gold Case: Antec P110 Silent, 5 intakes 1 exhaust Monitor: AOC G2460PF 1080p 144Hz (150Hz max w/ DP, 121Hz max w/ HDMI) TN panel Keyboard: Logitech G610 Orion (Cherry MX Blue) with SteelSeries Apex M260 keycaps Mouse: BenQ Zowie FK1

Model: HP Omen 17 17-an110ca CPU: i7-8750H (0.125V core & cache, 50mV SA undervolt) GPU: GTX 1060 6GB Mobile (+80/+450, 1650MHz~1750MHz 0.78V~0.85V) RAM: 8+8GB DDR4-2400 18-17-17-39 2T Storage: HP EX920 1TB PCIe x4 M.2 SSD + Crucial MX500 1TB 2.5" SATA SSD, 128GB Toshiba PCIe x2 M.2 SSD (KBG30ZMV128G) gone cooking externally, 1TB Seagate 7200RPM 2.5" HDD (ST1000LM049-2GH172) left outside Monitor: 1080p 126Hz IPS G-sync

Desktop benching:

Cinebench R15 Single thread:168 Multi-thread: 833 

SuperPi (v1.5 from Techpowerup, PI value output) 16K: 0.100s 1M: 8.255s 32M: 7m 45.93s

in some games definitely, but even if so, you will still have good fps. i have the same cpu and ordered an aorus gtx 1080 ti yesterday :)

It has a good probability it does bottleneck it however without further information, not even what resolution you play it is literally impossible to say it is bottlenecking at what you do with it.

If you want someone to give you a meaningful response you should invest as much time writing the question as you'd like someone to invest writing you the response, the more data you can provide the more likely is any one to be accurate, simply ask "does 4690k bottleneck 1080ti" without any further info is pretty hard.

It is not like you're asking does a Core2Duo E7400 bottlenecks a Quadro P6000? where it would be dead obvious, it depends a lot on the user case.

Personal Desktop":

CPU: Intel Core i7 10700K @5ghz |~| Cooling: bq! Dark Rock Pro 4 |~| MOBO: Gigabyte Z490UD ATX|~| RAM: 16gb DDR4 3333mhzCL16 G.Skill Trident Z |~| GPU: RX 6900XT Sapphire Nitro+ |~| PSU: Corsair TX650M 80Plus Gold |~| Boot:  SSD WD Green M.2 2280 240GB |~| Storage: 1x3TB HDD 7200rpm Seagate Barracuda + SanDisk Ultra 3D 1TB |~| Case: Fractal Design Meshify C Mini |~| Display: Toshiba UL7A 4K/60hz |~| OS: Windows 10 Pro.

Luna, the temporary Desktop:

CPU: AMD R9 7950XT  |~| Cooling: bq! Dark Rock 4 Pro |~| MOBO: Gigabyte Aorus Master |~| RAM: 32G Kingston HyperX |~| GPU: AMD Radeon RX 7900XTX (Reference) |~| PSU: Corsair HX1000 80+ Platinum |~| Windows Boot Drive: 2x 512GB (1TB total) Plextor SATA SSD (RAID0 volume) |~| Linux Boot Drive: 500GB Kingston A2000 |~| Storage: 4TB WD Black HDD |~| Case: Cooler Master Silencio S600 |~| Display 1 (leftmost): Eizo (unknown model) 1920x1080 IPS @ 60Hz|~| Display 2 (center): BenQ ZOWIE XL2540 1920x1080 TN @ 240Hz |~| Display 3 (rightmost): Wacom Cintiq Pro 24 3840x2160 IPS @ 60Hz 10-bit |~| OS: Windows 10 Pro (games / art) + Linux (distro: NixOS; programming and daily driver)

It will depend on the game and resolution.

'Fanboyism is stupid' - someone on this forum.

Be nice to each other boys and girls. And don't cheap out on a power supply.

Spoiler

CPU: Intel Core i7 4790K - 4.5 GHz | Motherboard: ASUS MAXIMUS VII HERO | RAM: 32GB Corsair Vengeance Pro DDR3 | SSD: Samsung 850 EVO - 500GB | GPU: MSI GTX 980 Ti Gaming 6GB | PSU: EVGA SuperNOVA 650 G2 | Case: NZXT Phantom 530 | Cooling: CRYORIG R1 Ultimate | Monitor: ASUS ROG Swift PG279Q | Peripherals: Corsair Vengeance K70 and Razer DeathAdder

Who knows...

(Who cares? :P)

Your CPU will only be a "bottleneck" if everythign else in your system (including your monitor!) would allow for a better image quality and frame rate, except your CPU can't keep up with that. Let's say you are gaming at 60FPS in some resolution: then it's not. If that resolution is 1080p, your 1080ti is just overkill. If it's 4K, everything is fine.

If you have a 144Hz monitor and you are trying to push high resolution, high frame rates? Then maybe. Probably depends on the resolution.

But the only thing you should care is: are you getting what you want out of your system?

7 minutes ago, Princess Cadence said:

It has a good probability it does bottleneck it however without further information, not even what resolution you play it is literally impossible to say it is bottlenecking at what you do with it.

If you want someone to give you a meaningful response you should invest as much time writing the question as you'd like someone to invest writing you the response, the more data you can provide the more likely is any one to be accurate, simply ask "does 4690k bottleneck 1080ti" without any further info is pretty hard.

It is not like you're asking does a Core2Duo E7400 bottlenecks a Quadro P6000? where it would be dead obvious, it depends a lot on the user case.

6 minutes ago, SpaceGhostC2C said:

Who knows...

(Who cares? :P)

Your CPU will only be a "bottleneck" if everythign else in your system (including your monitor!) would allow for a better image quality and frame rate, except your CPU can't keep up with that. Let's say you are gaming at 60FPS in some resolution: then it's not. If that resolution is 1080p, your 1080ti is just overkill. If it's 4K, everything is fine.

If you have a 144Hz monitor and you are trying to push high resolution, high frame rates? Then maybe. Probably depends on the resolution.

But the only thing you should care is: are you getting what you want out of your system?

I'm running 2560x1080 at 144hz. The games I play very much varies, very few graphically intensive ones though. Usually RPG's like Portal 2, CS:GO, Bioshock Infinite etc.

1 minute ago, mattonfire said:

I'm running 2560x1080 at 144hz. The games I play very much varies, very few graphically intensive ones though. Usually RPG's like Portal 2, CS:GO, Bioshock Infinite etc.

Man, sell that GPU! :P 

The question then is: are you getting 144FPS? If not, what are you getting? And what are your GPU and CPU usage levels?

Just now, SpaceGhostC2C said:

Man, sell that GPU! :P 

The question then is: are you getting 144FPS? If not, what are you getting? And what are your GPU and CPU usage levels?

I play at a high level on CS:GO the one big issue I used to get is that the graphics would often fluctuate higher and lower than the refreshrate which can be just as annoying as a low refresh rate. CPU levels very low, never above 30% in game. GPU is never higher than 30% either, and the CPU quite happily overclocked to a 4.2Ghz. I feel like it shouldn't be but it isn't that comfortable to play. 

6 minutes ago, mattonfire said:

how to hell is portal2, cs go or bioshock infinite is rpg?

and at that resolution it probably won't bottleneck, but can bottleneck a bit in very cpu-demanding games like watch dogs 2 or battlefield 1

Just now, Gameborn said:

how to hell is portal2, cs go or bioshock infinite is rpg?

and at that resolution it probably won't bottleneck, but can bottleneck a bit in very cpu-demanding games like watch dogs 2 or battlefield 1

Badly worded, those games and RPG's :P. I play neither of those games, okii doky. I might wait until the new CPU's come out then maybe the prices will drop and I can snag a good one ;).

2 minutes ago, mattonfire said:

I play at a high level on CS:GO the one big issue I used to get is that the graphics would often fluctuate higher and lower than the refreshrate which can be just as annoying as a low refresh rate. CPU levels very low, never above 30% in game. GPU is never higher than 30% either, and the CPU quite happily overclocked to a 4.2Ghz. I feel like it shouldn't be but it isn't that comfortable to play. 

Surely if your CPU usage is never higher than 30% then it's not causing a bottleneck (god that phrase is overused).

The signs of a bottleneck would be the CPU maxed out at 100% usage and the GPU not, because the CPU is holding it back.

I will only ever answer to the best of my ability - there is absolutely no promises that I will be correct. Or helpful. At all.

My toaster:

Spoiler

CPU: Intel Core i5-4670k @ 4.3GHz
Motherboard: Asus Maximus VI Formula
RAM: 16GB Corsair Vengeance DDR3
GPU: Nvidia GeForce GTX770 2GB
Case: Some free Sharkoon case
Storage: Crucial MX500 500GB SSD | Western Digital Blue 1TB
PSU: Corsair HX750
Display(s): Acer framless 24" 1080p thing | Acer 22" 1600x900 thing
Cooling: Corsair H100i AIO | 2 x Corsair LL120 front intakes on radiator | 1 x Corsair LL120 rear exhaust
Keyboard: Steelseries Apex
Mouse: R.A.T 7
Sound: HyperX Cloud II headset | Creative EAX 5.1 speakers

Just now, mattonfire said:

Badly worded, those games and RPG's :P. I play neither of those games, okii doky. I might wait until the new CPU's come out then maybe the prices will drop and I can snag a good one ;).

something like ryzen 1600 or 1700 will do the trick, but you'll have to buy new mobo and ram

2 minutes ago, MrJoosh said:

Surely if your CPU usage is never higher than 30% then it's not causing a bottleneck (god that phrase is overused).

The signs of a bottleneck would be the CPU maxed out at 100% usage and the GPU not, because the CPU is holding it back.

I am then unaware why a 1080ti is unable to perform smooth in something as very undemanding as CS:GO.

1 minute ago, Gameborn said:

something like ryzen 1600 or 1700 will do the trick, but you'll have to buy new mobo and ram

Indeed. Aha this computer is only about 2 years old and it's already becoming obsolete. 

I play at a high level on CS:GO the one big issue I used to get is that the graphics would often fluctuate higher and lower than the refreshrate which can be just as annoying as a low refresh rate.

How so? Are you getting tearing? You can use Vsync. Any form of stuttering?

CPU levels very low, never above 30% in game.

2 minutes ago, MrJoosh said:

Not necessarily: the 4690K is a quad-core, so a game that only uses one core can be maxing it out and the total CPU usage wouldn't go beyond 25% (1 core at 100%, 3 cores at almost 0%). It's not enough to reach a conclusion, it will depend on how many cores the game uses.

Just now, mattonfire said:

I am then unaware why a 1080ti is unable to perform smooth in something as very undemanding as CS:GO.

Indeed. Aha this computer is only about 2 years old and it's already becoming obsolete. 

it's not obsolete, you can play games on it happily with this cpu and get 60+ fps. Just not 144.

You said it sits at 30%. I don't see the GPU being a problem at all. It's just overkill, you could be playing CS:GO with a 1060. You could be playing it with and HD 79xx, FFS... 9_9

Well, I disagree in general, but I especially disagree with it being obsolete for undemanding games...

1 minute ago, SpaceGhostC2C said:

How so? Are you getting tearing? You can use Vsync. Any form of stuttering?

Not necessarily: the 4690K is a quad-core, so a game that only uses one core can be maxing it out and the total CPU usage wouldn't go beyond 25% (1 core at 100%, 3 cores at almost 0%). It's not enough to reach a conclusion, it will depend on how many cores the game uses.

vsync creates additional input lag, so in that kind of games I won't use it (but I don't like cs anyway). And it should use at least two cores and most likely uses 4, it just nothing that load cpu that much, and it's graphics is worse than portal 2 (previous source game released year earlier)

1 minute ago, SpaceGhostC2C said:

You said it sits at 30%. I don't see the GPU being a problem at all. It's just overkill, you could be playing CS:GO with a 1060. You could be playing it with and HD 79xx, FFS... 9_9

Well, I disagree in general, but I especially disagree with it being obsolete for undemanding games...

anyway hd 7970 still a beast, I think it's around rx  570 level. And you can play cs go with rx 460 with 100+ fps.

Seeing the first ten comments restored my faith in this community.

[TEARS]

Cor Caeruleus Reborn v6

Spoiler

CPU: Intel - Core i7-8700K

CPU Cooler: be quiet! - PURE ROCK 
Thermal Compound: Arctic Silver - 5 High-Density Polysynthetic Silver 3.5g Thermal Paste 
Motherboard: ASRock Z370 Extreme4
Memory: G.Skill TridentZ RGB 2x8GB 3200/14
Storage: Samsung - 850 EVO-Series 500GB 2.5" Solid State Drive 
Storage: Samsung - 960 EVO 500GB M.2-2280 Solid State Drive
Storage: Western Digital - Blue 2TB 3.5" 5400RPM Internal Hard Drive
Storage: Western Digital - BLACK SERIES 3TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive
Video Card: EVGA - 970 SSC ACX (1080 is in RMA)
Case: Fractal Design - Define R5 w/Window (Black) ATX Mid Tower Case
Power Supply: EVGA - SuperNOVA P2 750W with CableMod blue/black Pro Series
Optical Drive: LG - WH16NS40 Blu-Ray/DVD/CD Writer 
Operating System: Microsoft - Windows 10 Pro OEM 64-bit and Linux Mint Serena
Keyboard: Logitech - G910 Orion Spectrum RGB Wired Gaming Keyboard
Mouse: Logitech - G502 Wired Optical Mouse
Headphones: Logitech - G430 7.1 Channel  Headset
Speakers: Logitech - Z506 155W 5.1ch Speakers

Just now, ARikozuM said:

[TEARS]

I don't get it but maybe it's my bad English. Can you please explain?

4 minutes ago, ARikozuM said:

[TEARS]

Hah! I was just going to say "Don't let ARikozuM see you asking this!"

OS: W10 | MB: ASUS Sabertooth P67 | CPU: i7 2600k @ 4.6 | RAM: 2x8GB Corsair Vengeance 1600mhz | GPU: x2 MSI GTX 980 Gaming 4G | Storage: x2 WD CB 1TB, x1 WD CB 500GB | PSU: Corsair RM850x | Spare a moment for Night Theme Users:

Spoiler

I'm an erudite cave-dwelling Troglodyte
I frequent LinusTechTips past midnight
Dark backgrounds I crave 
For my sun-seared red gaze
I'll molest you if you don't form your text right

4 minutes ago, Gameborn said:

I don't get it but maybe it's my bad English. Can you please explain?

Usually the "bottleneck" crew would have come in with a resounding and certain "YAS!!!", but pretty much everyone gave a "it depends" or "are you getting the performance you need". 

@mattonfire You're fine with the 1080 Ti on 2560@1080. You'll notice the GPU not working as had as it should in some games, but they'll only get tougher to run. I'd look into DSR or, if you feel the need to upgrade something, a 4790K or 3440x1440@144Hz monitor in the future.

Cor Caeruleus Reborn v6

Spoiler

CPU: Intel - Core i7-8700K

CPU Cooler: be quiet! - PURE ROCK 
Thermal Compound: Arctic Silver - 5 High-Density Polysynthetic Silver 3.5g Thermal Paste 
Motherboard: ASRock Z370 Extreme4
Memory: G.Skill TridentZ RGB 2x8GB 3200/14
Storage: Samsung - 850 EVO-Series 500GB 2.5" Solid State Drive 
Storage: Samsung - 960 EVO 500GB M.2-2280 Solid State Drive
Storage: Western Digital - Blue 2TB 3.5" 5400RPM Internal Hard Drive
Storage: Western Digital - BLACK SERIES 3TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive
Video Card: EVGA - 970 SSC ACX (1080 is in RMA)
Case: Fractal Design - Define R5 w/Window (Black) ATX Mid Tower Case
Power Supply: EVGA - SuperNOVA P2 750W with CableMod blue/black Pro Series
Optical Drive: LG - WH16NS40 Blu-Ray/DVD/CD Writer 
Operating System: Microsoft - Windows 10 Pro OEM 64-bit and Linux Mint Serena
Keyboard: Logitech - G910 Orion Spectrum RGB Wired Gaming Keyboard
Mouse: Logitech - G502 Wired Optical Mouse
Headphones: Logitech - G430 7.1 Channel  Headset
Speakers: Logitech - Z506 155W 5.1ch Speakers

Just now, ARikozuM said:

4790K or 3440x1440@144Hz monitor in the future.

Indeed, I'd update the hardware before the monitor. I didn't think they made 3440x1440@144hz, wasn't there one meant to be released last year or something? Highest I've seen is a 120Hz(pre-overclocked) at that resolution. Alrighty, maybe it's my mental state, I mean human eyes can only see up to 24fps anyway B|

Just now, ARikozuM said:

Usually the "bottleneck" crew would have come in with a resounding and certain "YAS!!!", but pretty much everyone gave a "it depends" or "are you getting the performance you need". 

@mattonfire You're fine with the 1080 Ti on 2560@1080. You'll notice the GPU not working as had as it should in some games, but they'll only get tougher to run. I'd look into DSR or, if you feel the need to upgrade something, a 4790K or 3440x1440@144Hz monitor in the future.

oh know I get it. There is also little community on russian youtube with "cpu not exposing gpu's portential" and more educated people making fun of them. And yeah, it depends on the game. You can say that i9-6950x (or whatever top-of-the-line) or ryzen threadripper bottlenecking 750 ti in minecraft :) (minecraft is very cpu-demanding but not gpu-demanding at all, this is why you can get 100+ fps on integrated graphics)