Does this PSU have 4+8 pin power connectors

Go to solution Solved by Enderman,
1 minute ago, gamingneeded said:

Ok as an example this AX1200i can power 4+8 motherboards since one 4+4 will go to 8 pin plug on motherboard and the second 4+4 will go to the 4 pin plug. sorry for being so annoying but this is my first build so i am bit confused 

download.jpg

Yup.

If you look at the specs it says "EPS connector : 2"

http://www.corsair.com/en-eu/ax1200i-digital-atx-power-supply-1200-watt-80-plus-platinum-certified-fully-modular-psu

That means it has two sets of 4+4.

Can someone tell me if this PSU is compatible with This motherboard

Asus - ROG STRIX X99 GAMING ATX LGA2011-3 Motherboard

Thermaltake - Toughpower Grand RGB 850W 80+ Gold Certified Fully-Modular ATX Power Supply

i am worried about 4+8 pin power connectors on motherboard.

https://pcpartpicker.com/user/GamingNeeded/saved/DjKwP6

Thanks in advance

41chexLLchL.jpg

The motherboard CPU/EPS power connector is called 4+4 not 4+8.

It says on your PSU "4+4 CPU" directly on it.

NEW PC build: Blank Heaven   minimalist white and black PC     Old S340 build log "White Heaven"        The "LIGHTCANON" flashlight build log        Project AntiRoll (prototype)        Custom speaker project

Spoiler

Ryzen 3950X | AMD Vega Frontier Edition | ASUS X570 Pro WS | Corsair Vengeance LPX 64GB | NZXT H500 | Seasonic Prime Fanless TX-700 | Custom loop | Coolermaster SK630 White | Logitech MX Master 2S | Samsung 980 Pro 1TB + 970 Pro 512GB | Samsung 58" 4k TV | Scarlett 2i4 | 2x AT2020

Well you don't need a 4+8 pin to use it and it wont make a difference if you don't.

Do you already have that build? If you don't there are a few changes id make. like:

- Get a r7 1800x or 7700x instead. No reason to get a 6850k, if you really want x99 get a 6800k, the extra lanes won't help

-Get a single 1080 ti before sli, just not worth the hassle.

-Id get a single bigger ssd, nvme isn't really worth it and a 1tb ssd is nice.

The ROG STRIX X99 board has the highest RMA rate of any X99 board. The platform is at end of support, and not a good choice if this is a new build with x299 and x399 right around the corner.

The PSU only has a single 4+4, so you wont be able to connect both a 4 and 8 pin connections on the motherboard. You shouldn't need to connect both though, just the single 8pin.

2 minutes ago, DrMikeNZ said:

The ROG STRIX X99 board has the highest RMA rate of any X99 board. The platform is at end of support, and not a good choice if this is a new build with x299 and x399 right around the corner.

The PSU only has a single 4+4, so you wont be able to connect both a 4 and 8 pin connections on the motherboard. You shouldn't need to connect both though, just the single 8pin.

Linus him self said those are some BS boards, plus to expensive for me. so what MB would you recommend, and what are the extra 4 pins for 

Just now, gamingneeded said:

Linus him self said those are some BS boards, plus to expensive for me. so what MB would you recommend, and what are the extra 4 pins for 

I use the X99 Taichi myself (previously had the X99 Strix briefly), although if you are willing to wait a little bit, see what happens with Intel's X299 and AMD's X399 platforms. AMD is putting pressure on Intel again (finally), which is making the CPU market more competitive.

The extra 4 pins allows power draw to the VRM to be balanced over more wires, reducing the risk of the wires melting. In the ATX power specification, each wire is rated to deliver a certain amount of power, although this rating is significantly lower than what the wires can practically do safely in the real world. There is quite a bit of safety margin in this.

The only reason the system would need to draw that amount of power to the VRM would be in extreme overclocking which would not be recommended for 24/7 operation.

5 hours ago, gamingneeded said:

Can someone tell me if this PSU is compatible with This motherboard

Asus - ROG STRIX X99 GAMING ATX LGA2011-3 Motherboard

Thermaltake - Toughpower Grand RGB 850W 80+ Gold Certified Fully-Modular ATX Power Supply

i am worried about 4+8 pin power connectors on motherboard.

https://pcpartpicker.com/user/GamingNeeded/saved/DjKwP6

Thanks in advance

That PSU will work for that system, yes. That said, others suggested Ryzen and if you don't need to use this PC for a living (due to flaky Ryzen memory issues) then I'd agree with them.

|PSU Tier List /80 Plus Efficiency| PSU stuff if you need it. 

My system: PCPartPicker || For Corsair support tag @Corsair Josephor @Corsair Nick || My 5MT Legacy GT Wagon ||

20 hours ago, Enderman said:

The motherboard CPU/EPS power connector is called 4+4 not 4+8.

It says on your PSU "4+4 CPU" directly on it.

The motherboard i named needs 8 pin (4+4) and another 4 pin. 

The motherboard i named needs 8 pin (4+4) and another 4 pin. 

I would recommend getting a different motherboard or different PSU, because it may or may not work without the other 4 pin.

NEW PC build: Blank Heaven   minimalist white and black PC     Old S340 build log "White Heaven"        The "LIGHTCANON" flashlight build log        Project AntiRoll (prototype)        Custom speaker project

Spoiler

Ryzen 3950X | AMD Vega Frontier Edition | ASUS X570 Pro WS | Corsair Vengeance LPX 64GB | NZXT H500 | Seasonic Prime Fanless TX-700 | Custom loop | Coolermaster SK630 White | Logitech MX Master 2S | Samsung 980 Pro 1TB + 970 Pro 512GB | Samsung 58" 4k TV | Scarlett 2i4 | 2x AT2020

Just now, Enderman said:

I would recommend getting a different motherboard or different PSU, because it may or may not work without the other 4 pin.

What PSU, i cant find a PSU that has 4+4 and another single 4 pin connection, where does the extra 4 pin connector come from, PCIe???

3 minutes ago, gamingneeded said:

What PSU, i cant find a PSU that has 4+4 and another single 4 pin connection, where does the extra 4 pin connector come from, PCIe???

No, there are PSUs that come with two sets of 8 pin (aka 4+4 pin) EPS/CPU connectors.

Since you can split them in half you can use just 4 of one of the 8.

Spoiler

2 minutes ago, Enderman said:

No, there are PSUs that come with two sets of 8 pin (aka 4+4 pin) EPS/CPU connectors.

Ok as an example this AX1200i can power 4+8 motherboards since one 4+4 will go to 8 pin plug on motherboard and the second 4+4 will go to the 4 pin plug. sorry for being so annoying but this is my first build so i am bit confused 

download.jpg

download.jpg

Yup.

If you look at the specs it says "EPS connector : 2"

http://www.corsair.com/en-eu/ax1200i-digital-atx-power-supply-1200-watt-80-plus-platinum-certified-fully-modular-psu

That means it has two sets of 4+4.

Spoiler

4 minutes ago, gamingneeded said:

Thank you a lot now i understand everything.

You're welcome :)

Spoiler