Getting rid of Facebook/social media?

Hey guys, has anyone decided to get rid of their facebook and useless social media but you still have friends/family that only use damned FB? if so how did you solve your problem of keeping contacts without using FB services(fb mess,whatsapp).

While there are a lot of alternatives i would love to use apps like Wire/Telegram/Signal/Discord nobody i know is using these, so whats the alternative of comunicating with friends/family other than the old style phone numbers/messages?

I currently cant see a solution to this problem other than forcing people to use something like Wire/Discord if they want to talk to me which they probably wont, everyone flocked to FB garbage, on one hand i can understand why, its very easy to find people you know, on the other hand people are ignorant as fuck they dont care at all their data and everything they do is collected/sold/monitored, and the waste of time reading useless stuff about others.

4 minutes ago, yian88 said:

While there are a lot of alternatives i would love to use apps like Wire/Telegram/Signal/Discord nobody i know is using these, so whats the alternative of comunicating with friends/family other than the old style phone numbers/messages?

Actual personal contact? 

I have never used social media to actually be social, so that's what I've done. 

The people who really want to be in contact with you will be more than pleased to meet up with you in real life or answer a call/text message. 

Nova doctrina terribilis sit perdere

Audio format guides: Vinyl records | Cassette tapes

I got rid of my real facebook account over a year ago and now just use a dummy account.

Create an account with a fake name and don't add any pictures, info, friends or anything. Make it as private as possible in security settings.

If you do this you can still use things that require facebook sign in and you could add family members etc as contacts for emergency purposes.

- ASUS X99 Deluxe - i7 5820k - Nvidia GTX 1080ti SLi - 4x4GB EVGA SSC 2800mhz DDR4 - Samsung SM951 500 - 2x Samsung 850 EVO 512 -

- EK Supremacy EVO CPU Block - EK FC 1080 GPU Blocks - EK XRES 100 DDC - EK Coolstream XE 360 - EK Coolstream XE 240 -

My Facebook really only exists to keep in touch with the friends I made when I was stationed in Korea. Outside of that, I have no use for it.

6 minutes ago, TidaLWaveZ said:

I got rid of my real facebook account over a year ago and now just use a dummy account.

Create an account with a fake name and don't add any pictures, info, friends or anything. Make it as private as possible in security settings.

I used to do that at first,use a dummy acc, but now i feel like i dont want to even know Fb exists no more, i dont want it on my phone or webrowser.

I also got rid of skype garbage from MS a year ago, there arent many alternatives, all popular ones collect data/ads/monitoring.

Its annoying that apps like Wire dont get very little attention/users at all, i really would like an encrypted privacy communication app, phone calls/messages are still recorded so best way is an encrypted privacy app.

Reading more and more about people getting fined/jail or lose their job because of a facebook like or comment on some post that offended the SJW authorities. I dont want any part of that platform at all.

1 minute ago, yian88 said:

I used to do that at first,use a dummy acc, but now i feel like i dont want to even know Fb exists no more, i dont want it on my phone or webrowser.

I also got rid of skype garbage from MS a year ago, there arent many alternatives, all popular ones collect data/ads/monitoring.

Its annoying that apps like Wire dont get very little attention/users at all, i really would like an encrypted privacy communication app, phone calls/messages are still recorded so best way is an encrypted privacy app.

Reading more and more about people getting fined/jail or lose their job because of a facebook like or comment on some post that offended the SJW authorities. I dont want any part of that platform at all.

Exactly. I'd like to not have it at all, but due to use with all kinds of apps and specifically for me testing facebook login for websites that I run, I can't really get around it.

I don't have the app and I've never logged in to the account, but I still know that they are probably tracking every time I use facebook login for another app or website. There really is nothing you can do about it except not use anything they offer.

What sucks is that Google/Apple/Amazon are all doing the same thing so it's not easy to stay away from the online activity monitoring.

- ASUS X99 Deluxe - i7 5820k - Nvidia GTX 1080ti SLi - 4x4GB EVGA SSC 2800mhz DDR4 - Samsung SM951 500 - 2x Samsung 850 EVO 512 -

- EK Supremacy EVO CPU Block - EK FC 1080 GPU Blocks - EK XRES 100 DDC - EK Coolstream XE 360 - EK Coolstream XE 240 -

3 minutes ago, TidaLWaveZ said:

Exactly. I'd like to not have it at all, but due to use with all kinds of apps and specifically for me testing facebook login for websites that I run, I can't really get around it.

I don't have the app and I've never logged in to the account, but I still know that they are probably tracking every time I use facebook login for another app or website. There really is nothing you can do about it except not use anything they offer.

What sucks is that Google/Apple/Amazon are all doing the same thing so it's not easy to stay away from the online activity monitoring.

Thats why i would enjoy using a secure app so these services google/fb or w/e cant see what i ever wrote to friends/family, even if they still track some data at least what i say should stay private.

And i marked it solved by mistake lol,was going for quote button but w/e, its more of an discussion thread than a problem.

31 minutes ago, Volbet said:

Actual personal contact? 

The people who really want to be in contact with you will be more than pleased to meet up with you in real life or answer a call/text message. 

You mean there's this idea that you can call people?

Whoa.

I have not used this service myself but there are a number of p2p social media services. Diaspora is one I heard of years ago and is still going. I do not know why more people do not use it. I'm considering using it myself once the elections in my country are over. I'll prob start a nz-centric news feed on it

☼

ψ ︿_____︿_ψ_   

gave up Facebook as a trial run sometime last year for a month and it lasted several.  Came back near the election just to watch the melt down from whichever side ended up losing.  I quit again a couple of weeks later in December and have been out of it since.  Now i only have instagram, but that's mainly for trolling public pages while i'm on the toilet.

Something you may not know about FB. When you "deactivate" your account your FB messenger stays active.  So even though no one can post on your page and vice versa you can still message other people using messenger.

A lot of people don't know this, and the ones i've encountered that do were folks who have gone on similar FB vacations.

So if you are worried about keeping in touch; that may resolve your dilemma. 

Tell them to fucking call you, or email you the fucking shit.

You can still use Messenger if you disable your Facebook account.

Desktop: 7800x3d @ stock, 64gb ddr4 @ 6000, 3080Ti, x670 Asus Strix

Laptop: Dell G3 15 - i7-8750h @ stock, 16gb ddr4 @ 2666, 1050Ti 

13 hours ago, yian88 said:

Hey guys, has anyone decided to get rid of their facebook and useless social media but you still have friends/family that only use damned FB? if so how did you solve your problem of keeping contacts without using FB services(fb mess,whatsapp).

Whenever I want to stay off Facebook I mostly just don't update my profile with anything, disallow tagging by others / etc and only use Messenger. Make sure to tell the people you care about that you'll do it so they don't take it bad (god knows they might).

11 minutes ago, Raskolnikov said:

You can still use Messenger if you disable your Facebook account.

Hey I didn't know that! That's useful, have some rep.

We have a NEW and GLORIOUSER-ER-ER PSU Tier List Now. (dammit @LukeSavenije stop coming up with new ones)

You can check out the old one that gave joy to so many across the land here

Computer having a hard time powering on? Troubleshoot it with this guide. (Currently looking for suggestions to update it into the context of <current year> and make it its own thread)

Computer Specs:

Spoiler

Mathresolvermajig: Intel Xeon E3 1240 (Sandy Bridge i7 equivalent)

Chillinmachine: Noctua NH-C14S
Framepainting-inator: EVGA GTX 1080 Ti SC2 Hybrid

Attachcorethingy: Gigabyte H61M-S2V-B3

Infoholdstick: Corsair 2x4GB DDR3 1333

Computerarmor: Silverstone RL06 "Lookalike"

Rememberdoogle: 1TB HDD + 120GB TR150 + 240 SSD Plus + 1TB MX500

AdditionalPylons: Phanteks AMP! 550W (based on Seasonic GX-550)

Letterpad: Rosewill Apollo 9100 (Cherry MX Red)

Buttonrodent: Razer Viper Mini + Huion H430P drawing Tablet

Auralnterface: Sennheiser HD 6xx

Liquidrectangles: LG 27UK850-W 4K HDR

22 hours ago, Volbet said:

Actual personal contact? 

That's how I feel about it.  I don't even use "social media" period.  The closest I come to anything resembling social media, is forums like this.

22 hours ago, TidaLWaveZ said:

If you do this you can still use things that require facebook sign in and you could add family members etc as contacts for emergency purposes.

I did make a fake account once, just so I could post in the comments of our local newspaper (they only use FB for comments, ugh).  The SJW twits decided they didn't like my comments, and reported me for a fake account.  Though it probably didn't help that my name was "Justa Guest". xD

6 minutes ago, Jito463 said:

snip

Sounds quite familiar, I could give you a laundry list of sites that have just completely removed my critical comments without reason. When I say without reason I mean that the comments I made were completely civilized and had no reason to be removed.

What I did was:

1. Cleaned my friend list (i.e. removed anyone not that close to me, a friend of a friend, a friend in-game for the past few years, etc)

2. Unfollowed everyone of my remaining friends

I deactivated my FB 4 years ago. Haven't looked back sense. Easiest to just contact people via text or phone calls.

I would love to one day remove myself from all social networks however there is just way too many people who I would probably never speak to again if that were to happen and I like being able to see the progression of those who I was around when I was a child/pre-teen.