question about SAS

hi, just a few questions.

1. can i plug sata drives in my SAS board?

2. can i mix sata and sas drives together and have them work in a RAID array?

She/Her

SAS, if you're going with a server, can have a plane where the SAS connector splits off into multiple SATA+power ports. If your motherboard has SAS, I'd get a splitter and use those to connect nothing but SATA drives for cost reasons.

And, yes, you can mix them as far as I know.

@leadeater @Electronics Wizardy

Cor Caeruleus Reborn v6

Spoiler

CPU: Intel - Core i7-8700K

CPU Cooler: be quiet! - PURE ROCK 
Thermal Compound: Arctic Silver - 5 High-Density Polysynthetic Silver 3.5g Thermal Paste 
Motherboard: ASRock Z370 Extreme4
Memory: G.Skill TridentZ RGB 2x8GB 3200/14
Storage: Samsung - 850 EVO-Series 500GB 2.5" Solid State Drive 
Storage: Samsung - 960 EVO 500GB M.2-2280 Solid State Drive
Storage: Western Digital - Blue 2TB 3.5" 5400RPM Internal Hard Drive
Storage: Western Digital - BLACK SERIES 3TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive
Video Card: EVGA - 970 SSC ACX (1080 is in RMA)
Case: Fractal Design - Define R5 w/Window (Black) ATX Mid Tower Case
Power Supply: EVGA - SuperNOVA P2 750W with CableMod blue/black Pro Series
Optical Drive: LG - WH16NS40 Blu-Ray/DVD/CD Writer 
Operating System: Microsoft - Windows 10 Pro OEM 64-bit and Linux Mint Serena
Keyboard: Logitech - G910 Orion Spectrum RGB Wired Gaming Keyboard
Mouse: Logitech - G502 Wired Optical Mouse
Headphones: Logitech - G430 7.1 Channel  Headset
Speakers: Logitech - Z506 155W 5.1ch Speakers

5 minutes ago, ARikozuM said:

SAS, if you're going with a server, can have a plane where the SAS connector splits off into multiple SATA+power ports. If your motherboard has SAS, I'd get a splitter and use those to connect nothing but SATA drives for cost reasons.

i bought a second hand IBM system x3650. it has SAS drives (old ones) in it now, and i want to expand on them. can i just plug sata drives into the hdd bays?

She/Her

Straight? No. They use different plugs. You'd have to buy converters or add a new backplane that supports SAS to SATA.

Cor Caeruleus Reborn v6

Spoiler

Thermal Compound: Arctic Silver - 5 High-Density Polysynthetic Silver 3.5g Thermal Paste 

7 minutes ago, firelighter487 said:

i bought a second hand IBM system x3650. it has SAS drives (old ones) in it now, and i want to expand on them. can i just plug sata drives into the hdd bays?

A SAS controller (like the one in your IBM) is compatible with both SAS and SATA (in mixed configs as far as I know).

A SATA controller (like one on a consumer board), is only compatible with SATA.

[GUIDE] LGA 771 Mod for Dell Vostro 220 [GUIDE] LGA 775 BSEL Mod [BUILD] The Mighty Radeon-Powered Dell [VIDEO] Evolution of Intel CPUs

Can you game on an 8-year-old i7? Is the 4-year-old GTX 660 still relevant? Upgrading the HP Pro 3500

Main Rig:

Spoiler

CPU Intel Core i7 4930k @ 4.3GHz | Motherboard ASUS P9X79 Deluxe | RAM Hynix 32GB (8x4GB) 2133MHz CL11 | GPU Gigabyte GTX 980Ti G1 Gaming | Case NZXT Phantom 410 | Storage Samsung 850EVO 500GB, Seagate Barracuda 2TB | PSU Cooler Master G650M (650W) | Monitors x1 Dell U2515H, x2 Dell 1907FP | Cooling Noctua NH-D14 w. x2 NF-F12 iPPC-2000 PWM | Keyboard Logitech G610 ORION BROWN | Mouse Logitech Performance MX | OS Microsoft Windows 10 Pro x64

Just now, ARikozuM said:

Straight? No. They use different plugs. You'd have to buy converters or add a new backplane that supports SAS to SATA.

SATA drives will work with SAS cables (only SFF-8482, but its found on the back of every SAS drive) and fit in a SAS backplane, however SAS drives cannot be used in SATA backplanes or with SATA cables.

[GUIDE] LGA 771 Mod for Dell Vostro 220 [GUIDE] LGA 775 BSEL Mod [BUILD] The Mighty Radeon-Powered Dell [VIDEO] Evolution of Intel CPUs

Can you game on an 8-year-old i7? Is the 4-year-old GTX 660 still relevant? Upgrading the HP Pro 3500

Main Rig:

Spoiler

CPU Intel Core i7 4930k @ 4.3GHz | Motherboard ASUS P9X79 Deluxe | RAM Hynix 32GB (8x4GB) 2133MHz CL11 | GPU Gigabyte GTX 980Ti G1 Gaming | Case NZXT Phantom 410 | Storage Samsung 850EVO 500GB, Seagate Barracuda 2TB | PSU Cooler Master G650M (650W) | Monitors x1 Dell U2515H, x2 Dell 1907FP | Cooling Noctua NH-D14 w. x2 NF-F12 iPPC-2000 PWM | Keyboard Logitech G610 ORION BROWN | Mouse Logitech Performance MX | OS Microsoft Windows 10 Pro x64

1 minute ago, oskarha said:

SATA drives will work with SAS cables (only SFF-8482, but its found on the back of every SAS drive) and fit in a SAS backplane, however SAS drives cannot be used in SATA backplanes or with SATA cables.

so i can just put sata drives in the sleds and put them in then?

She/Her

Just now, firelighter487 said:

so i can just put sata drives in the sleds and put them in then?

Yup :)

Main Rig:

Spoiler

SAS offers optional compatibility with SATA, versions 2 and later. This allows for SATA drives to be connected to most SAS backplanes or controllers. The reverse, connecting SAS drives to SATA backplanes, is not possible.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Serial_Attached_SCSI

Main Rig:

Spoiler

28 minutes ago, ARikozuM said:

On some RAID controllers you cannot create an array with SAS and SATA drives. Don't know which ones do this and which ones don't, all I know is that it has happened to me before.

My native language is C++

1 minute ago, tt2468 said:

On some RAID controllers you cannot create an array with SAS and SATA drives. Don't know which ones do this and which ones don't, all I know is that it has happened to me before.

As far as I know, you can. I've only got two servers with SAS backplanes and they use the same controller.

Edit: My knowledge isn't too broad which is why I mentioned the other guys.

Cor Caeruleus Reborn v6

Spoiler

1 minute ago, tt2468 said:

okay, i guess ill find out tommorrow. 

She/Her

6 minutes ago, ARikozuM said:

As far as I know, you can. I've only got two servers with SAS backplanes and they use the same controller.

Edit: My knowledge isn't too broad which is why I mentioned the other guys.

7 minutes ago, tt2468 said:

On some RAID controllers

My native language is C++

2 hours ago, firelighter487 said:

hi, just a few questions.

1. can i plug sata drives in my SAS board?

2. can i mix sata and sas drives together and have them work in a RAID array?

1. Yes SAS controllers support SATA disks.

SATA controllers do not support SAS disks.

2. For hardware RAID on LSI controllers etc no you cannot have SAS disks and SATA disks in the same array, you have to create an array for each drive type.

For software RAIDs and the like yes you can.

2 hours ago, firelighter487 said:

All you need to do is buy HDD sleds on ebay, $6 each, and 2.5" disks and put them in. That's what I do with my IBM server.

The reason you cannot mix SAS and SATA drives in an array is because most hardware controllers require identical drives to form an array.

So you can't have say 4x500gb SAS and 4x500gb SATA in one 8 disk array. But you can have 2 separate 4 disk arrays on the same card.

In software raid (unraid, storage spaces) you can mix them because they are addressed as virtual disks. All the software cares about is the size. Even then its not recommended to mix types because they will have different performance profiles and you can end up with your 10k SAS disks idle because they are waiting on you 5400rpm green drive.

10 hours ago, NZLaurence said:

The reason you cannot mix SAS and SATA drives in an array is because most hardware controllers require identical drives to form an array.

So you can't have say 4x500gb SAS and 4x500gb SATA in one 8 disk array. But you can have 2 separate 4 disk arrays on the same card.

In software raid (unraid, storage spaces) you can mix them because they are addressed as virtual disks. All the software cares about is the size. Even then its not recommended to mix types because they will have different performance profiles and you can end up with your 10k SAS disks idle because they are waiting on you 5400rpm green drive.

so it would be better to use 2 80gb sas disks in raid 0, 2 80gb sata disks in raid 0, and then striping them in software to create a 320gb volume? or just create 2 160gb volumes and use them seperately?

the reason i want to use 80gb disks is that's what i have spare, and i'm just experimenting with raid. everything will be backed up on another server with more modern drives in it. 

She/Her

54 minutes ago, firelighter487 said:

so it would be better to use 2 80gb sas disks in raid 0, 2 80gb sata disks in raid 0, and then striping them in software to create a 320gb volume? or just create 2 160gb volumes and use them seperately?

the reason i want to use 80gb disks is that's what i have spare, and i'm just experimenting with raid. everything will be backed up on another server with more modern drives in it. 

That would work but you will probably get better performance just doing it all in software. It will depend on your raid card. Test it and see how it goes.

11 minutes ago, NZLaurence said:

That would work but you will probably get better performance just doing it all in software. It will depend on your raid card. Test it and see how it goes.

Ok, i'll test it then. Thanks for all the help!

She/Her

3 hours ago, firelighter487 said:

for those of you still following this, i can confirm that sata drives work in my servers :) 

Yeah, it should be like that. I have a SATA array (6 x 4TB) and a SAS array (10 x 4TB). As mentioned above, you can't mix SATA and SAS drives in the same array (I tried), at least on a LSI MegaRAID card (I have the LSI MegaRAID 9260 8i).

25 minutes ago, scottyseng said:

Yeah, it should be like that. I have a SATA array (6 x 4TB) and a SAS array (10 x 4TB). As mentioned above, you can't mix SATA and SAS drives in the same array (I tried), at least on a LSI MegaRAID card (I have the LSI MegaRAID 9260 8i).

yeah, i can't on mine either. 

She/Her