Are 7.1 headsets true surround?

kingmustard

Or are they just faking it, based off a 2.1 source?

If they are true surround, I have another question.

Current setup

• 2.1 speakers connected to on-board sound (Realtek HD Audio), plugged in at the front of my case
  • Stereo headset connected to the sound card that I have installed (Asus Xonar DSX)
  • Doing it this way saves me having to keep changing the jacks around as I swap between speakers and the headset often
  • When I want to use the speakers, I switch to Realtek HD Audio in Sound properties within Windows
  • When I want to use the headset, I switch to Asus Xonar DSX in Sound properties within Windows

Let's assume I get a 7.1 headset (that I connect, presumably, to the Asus Xonar sound card like my current headset).

Will I have to keep changing my games and Windows between Surround (headset)/Stereo (speakers) modes?

If so, seems like a ball ache.

For headphones you want 2 speakers. One for each ear. Any more is marketing bs(some iem's have multiple drivers for different frequences.

Stero heaphones already have full surround.

true surround is if you have 7/5 speakers and one sub reflex in 1x ear cup

3x 128GB Samsung PM961 M.2 (2x Kryom PCI-E M.2 by Aqua Computer) on windows os raid and 1x PM961 as os Host on the motherboard m.2 slot
+ 250GB Samsung 850 EVO
+ 7200RPM Seagate 1 Terabyte HDD
  • PSU
    seasonic 750 prime platinum Active PFC F3
  • Cooling
    Noctua NH-D15S (original fan replaced by an Noctua 140mm industrialPPC-2000 IP67 PWM + Steel 140mm fan guard)
  • Keyboard
    Cherry MX Board 6.0 ISOANSI + Vector/Tai keycaps+ Landing pads + O-rings
  • Mouse
    BenQ Zowie EC2-A White Edition
  • Sound
    Edirol Roland UA-25EX + Beyerdynamic DT 770 Pro
  • Operating System
    Windows 10 x64 (Enterprise) SP1, OpenSUSE, Remnux

Technically speaking, no. Even if you shove multiple speakers in, it's stull feeding you audio from L and R. True surround are physical speakers placed around you, marketing fluff from headset manufactures.

"True surround" headsets do consume multi-channel input signals, but they still use DSP to create the surround effect. If you want real surround sound get speakers.

1 minute ago, SSL said:

"True surround" headsets do consume multi-channel input signals, but they still use DSP to create the surround effect. If you want real surround sound get speakers.

So I'd have to constantly switch Windows and the games between Surround and Stereo modes, then.

cba with that.

1 minute ago, kingmustard said:

So I'd have to constantly switch Windows and the games between Surround and Stereo modes, then.

cba with that.

nope, you only have to do stero for headphones. There are no need for multichannel in headphones. Don't get them. You can have directional sound with stero.

1 minute ago, Electronics Wizardy said:

nope, you only have to do stero for headphones. There are no need for multichannel in headphones. Don't get them. You can have directional sound with stero.

HRTF is a wonderful thing. If only more applications supported it. Too bad Creative bought the only company who seriously pursued it and did duck-all with them.

25 minutes ago, kingmustard said:

Um, no?

6 minutes ago, SSL said:

Um, no?

Surely if they can "consume multi-channel input signals" (I presume you mean more than the usual two), Windows/the games would need to offer multiple channels for it to process?

Also, if some headsets can process an input to make it sound like surround to your ears, surely they would perform/process better if they receive a 7.x surround signal instead of a 2.x signal?

2 minutes ago, kingmustard said:

Surely if they can "consume multi-channel input signals" (I presume you mean more than the usual two), Windows/the games would need to offer multiple channels for it to process?

Two-channel should be passed through as needed.

Just now, kingmustard said:

you don't need any more than 2 channels for headphones. Only left and right. Your ears and brain projess the delay and phase shit to determine location of the sound.

2 minutes ago, Electronics Wizardy said:

you don't need any more than 2 channels for headphones. Only left and right. Your ears and brain projess the delay and phase shit to determine location of the sound.

k we got it thank you

6 minutes ago, Electronics Wizardy said:

Except most of the time the mixing is really one-dimensional.

Yes you only need at the minimum 2 channels. No that doesn't mean you automagically get a "surround sound" experience.

8 hours ago, SSL said:

Razer made one a while ago. But its pointless, as the proximity to the ear, and the isolation of the headphones, make the multi drivers not help with surround

n0ah1897, on 05 Mar 2014 - 2:08 PM, said:  "Computers are like girls. It's whats in the inside that matters.  I don't know about you, but I like my girls like I like my cases. Just as beautiful on the inside as the outside."

On 06/06/2017 at 6:08 PM, Electronics Wizardy said:

Well my £30 stereo Creative Labs Fatal1ty HS-800 V2 headset, whilst perfectly fine for videos, music and games, are rubbish at full directional audio, so I don't consider full directional audio it a given for all stereo headphones.

That's why I was considering a headset that offered 'surround sound', in hope they performed better when tracking enemies in a house in Playerunknown Battlegrounds.

47 minutes ago, kingmustard said:

Well my £30 stereo Creative Labs Fatal1ty HS-800 V2 headset, whilst perfectly fine for videos, music and games, are rubbish at full directional audio, so I don't consider full directional audio it a given for all stereo headphones.

That's why I was considering a headset that offered 'surround sound', in hope they performed better when tracking enemies in a house in Playerunknown Battlegrounds.

Normally the quailty of the surround in a headphones depends on how good the audio is in the source, so the game or music. Some software can make the effect greater. Headphones can make a difference.

Adding extra speakers won't help at all, as only one ear can hear them, so the surround effect won't work at all.

If the headset has multiple speakers and is well designed, it probably can sound exactly like having multiple discrete speakers in a room.  The "surround" drivers would just need to have an appropriate delay and attenuation to mimic if a speaker was a few feet away from you at an angle on one side.

You would need to have a true multi-channel input signal though.

Workstation:  14700nonk || Asus Z790 ProArt Creator || MSI Gaming Trio 4090 Shunt || Crucial Pro Overclocking 32GB @ 5600 || Corsair AX1600i@240V || whole-house loop.

LANRig/GuestGamingBox: 9900nonK || Gigabyte Z390 Master || ASUS TUF 3090 650W shunt || Corsair SF600 || CPU+GPU watercooled 280 rad pull only || whole-house loop.

Server Router (Untangle): 13600k @ Stock || ASRock Z690 ITX || All 10Gbe || 2x8GB 3200 || PicoPSU 150W 24pin + AX1200i on CPU|| whole-house loop

Server Compute/Storage: 10850K @ 5.1Ghz || Gigabyte Z490 Ultra || EVGA FTW3 3090 1000W || LSI 9280i-24 port || 4TB Samsung 860 Evo, 5x10TB Seagate Enterprise Raid 6, 4x8TB Seagate Archive Backup ||  whole-house loop.

Laptop: HP Elitebook 840 G8 (Intel 1185G7) + 3080Ti Thunderbolt Dock, Razer Blade Stealth 13" 2017 (Intel 8550U)

They are not true surround but can accurately trick you into thinking it is.

Here's how I understand it:

What they do is take in a 7.1 signal from the computer (so the game/movie/whatever thinks they are surround sound) then processes the signal (usually via DTS or Dolby) to simulate what surround sound would deliver to each ear. Since we only have two ears/drums the brain uses the difference in sound from each ear to decide where the sound comes from in 3D space (the folds in your ear actually play a role in how this works by deflecting sounds from different directions in different ways). Anyway, I have the G933 and I actually do use the "fake" surround sound and really like how it works. The difference between this system and regular headphones is that the media gives out a 7.1 signal so you get more information than a 2.1 signal. That is also why some games differentiate between "speakers" and "headphones" in the settings. The headphone setting will basically do exactly this for any headphone by sending a simulated surround via 2-channels, the speaker setting will assume you have two speakers in front of you and will likely not simulate surround sound. So, if the media differentiates between "speakers" and "headphones" then the "headphones" option will probably sound exactly the same as using a 7.1 headset, however, if the media only differentiates between 2.1 and 7.1 and assumes speakers either way, the 7.1 headphones will probably sound much more surround than using the 2.1 option with regular headphones. The nice thing about the 7.1 headset like I have is you don't have to find out which media supports what, just set everything to output at 7.1 and the headphone drivers will handle the simulated surround on all media that has surround output.

Someone can correct me if I am wrong on any of the details but this is what I understand.

Primary PC-

CPU: Intel i7-6800k @ 4.2-4.4Ghz   CPU COOLER: Bequiet Dark Rock Pro 4   MOBO: MSI X99A SLI Plus   RAM: 32GB Corsair Vengeance LPX quad-channel DDR4-2800  GPU: EVGA GTX 1080 SC2 iCX   PSU: Corsair RM1000i   CASE: Corsair 750D Obsidian   SSDs: 500GB Samsung 960 Evo + 256GB Samsung 850 Pro   HDDs: Toshiba 3TB + Seagate 1TB   Monitors: Acer Predator XB271HUC 27" 2560x1440 (165Hz G-Sync)  +  LG 29UM57 29" 2560x1080   OS: Windows 10 Pro

Album

Other Systems:

Spoiler

Home HTPC/NAS-

CPU: AMD FX-8320 @ 4.4Ghz  MOBO: Gigabyte 990FXA-UD3   RAM: 16GB dual-channel DDR3-1600  GPU: Gigabyte GTX 760 OC   PSU: Rosewill 750W   CASE: Antec Gaming One   SSD: 120GB PNY CS1311   HDDs: WD Red 3TB + WD 320GB   Monitor: Samsung SyncMaster 2693HM 26" 1920x1200 -or- Steam Link to Vizio M43C1 43" 4K TV  OS: Windows 10 Pro

Offsite NAS/VM Server-

CPU: 2x Xeon E5645 (12-core)  Model: Dell PowerEdge T610  RAM: 16GB DDR3-1333  PSUs: 2x 570W  SSDs: 8GB Kingston Boot FD + 32GB Sandisk Cache SSD   HDDs: WD Red 4TB + Seagate 2TB + Seagate 320GB   OS: FreeNAS 11+

Laptop-

CPU: Intel i7-3520M   Model: Dell Latitude E6530   RAM: 8GB dual-channel DDR3-1600  GPU: Nvidia NVS 5200M   SSD: 240GB TeamGroup L5   HDD: WD Black 320GB   Monitor: Samsung SyncMaster 2693HM 26" 1920x1200   OS: Windows 10 Pro

Having issues with a Corsair AIO? Possible fix here:

Spoiler

Are you getting weird fan behavior, speed fluctuations, and/or other issues with Link?

Are you running AIDA64, HWinfo, CAM, or HWmonitor? (ASUS suite & other monitoring software often have the same issue.)

Corsair Link has problems with some monitoring software so you may have to change some settings to get them to work smoothly.

-For AIDA64: First make sure you have the newest update installed, then, go to Preferences>Stability and make sure the "Corsair Link sensor support" box is checked and make sure the "Asetek LC sensor support" box is UNchecked.

-For HWinfo: manually disable all monitoring of the AIO sensors/components.

-For others: Disable any monitoring of Corsair AIO sensors.

That should fix the fan issue for some Corsair AIOs (H80i GT/v2, H110i GTX/H115i, H100i GTX and others made by Asetek). The problem is bad coding in Link that fights for AIO control with other programs. You can test if this worked by setting the fan speed in Link to 100%, if it doesn't fluctuate you are set and can change the curve to whatever. If that doesn't work or you're still having other issues then you probably still have a monitoring software interfering with the AIO/Link communications, find what it is and disable it.

as long as you got a speaker in ear ear you are good to go, Adding more is completely pointless and your brain will handle the rest.

Go chekc out the Virtual Barber Audio on Youtube. Use the cheapy earphones your phone came with, than try your fancy 7.1 ones. Zero difference except in Audio quality and thats got nothing to do with surround. 

Redstone:
i7-4770 / Z97 / GTX 980 / Corsair 16GB  / H90 / 400C / Antec EDGE / Neutron GTX240 / Intel 240Gb / WD 2TB / BenQ XL24

Obsidian:

MSI GE60 2PE i7-4700HQ / 860M / 12GB / WE 1TB / m.Sata 256gb/Elagto USB HD Capture Card

Razer Deathadder Chroma / Razer Blackwidow TE Chroma / Kingston Cloud2's / Sennheiser 429 / Logitech Z333

You have two ears. The brain is highly adept at using volume, phase and timing differences to perfectly position sounds relative to you by your two ears alone. You can product perfect surround sound from a pair of stereo headphones. Surround only matters when you have a speaker array around you.

• 1 month later...

Interesting read, going to stay away from 7.1 headsets :) If I get a nice stereo headset for gaming like the Sennheiser Game One, would it be pointless to get a 7.1 sound card? It seems like most new soundcards are advertising 7.1, including Sennheisers own GSX 1000, which they say are compatible with the Game One (although the GSX 1000 may only be a amplifier, not sure if it's also a sound card).

Asus's newest Xonar U7 MKII advertises 7.1, as do their internal ones Xonar DX,DG,DGX. Would that conflict with stereo headsets? If they have an option would it be best to turn off 7.1 from the soundcard for best gaming sound with a stereo headset?