GTX 1060 6gb or RX 580 8gb

So I am currently helping out a friend pick out a graphics card and would like to hear some of your guys' thoughts. He plans on using a ryzen 5 1600 with 16gb of ram. He just does not know which gpu to buy because the gtx 1060 6gb is a bit cheaper yet the rx 580 does offer more vram. 

8GB of vram is quite a lot of vram for a mid range card, so it really doesn't matter between the two.

Both work very close to each other. In general, Polaris (RX 400/500 series GPUs) do slightly better in Vulkan/DX12 titles while the GTX Pascal 10 series works better in DX11 titles.

Ryzen 5 3600 | MSI B450 PRO CARBON AC | EVGA GeForce RTX 2060 SUPER XC ULTRA |
Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO Black Edition | Corsair Vengeance RGB 2x8GB 3200MHz |
Phaneks Evolv Tempered Glass | Seasonic FOCUS Gold+ 750W |
Samsung 960 EVO 250GB | 860 EVO 500GB | 850 PRO 256GB | Toshiba 2TB 7200RPM

Just now, Droidbot said:

GTX 1060 - 580 prices are skyrocketing. 

i agree if the prices are way higher. Also you can just wait until bitcoin dies again

2 minutes ago, Droidbot said:

GTX 1060 - 580 prices are skyrocketing. 

i just thought.. wouldnt it be ironic that because of the 580's popularity ovee the 1060 it's prices hike up (because shortages?), causing the 1060 to become the better option again :P

I have heard that there was also a shortage of r9 290x's back in the day. I was not into gaming that much back then, but can any of you say what that was like.

2 minutes ago, Daniel Z. said:

i agree if the prices are way higher. Also you can just wait until bitcoin dies again

Just now, manikyath said:

i just thought.. wouldnt it be ironic that because of the 580's popularity ovee the 1060 it's prices hike up (because shortages?), causing the 1060 to become the better option again :P

the prices are wayy higher

the cheapest 1060 6GB on PCPP is $215, the cheapest 580 8GB is $239

idk

Just now, Droidbot said:

holy crap

If you will only be playing at 1080 = GTX 1060 

if you will be going to 1440p/4k than = RX 580

Yes the 580 is not ideal for 4K but it will do a better job of it. as for 1440p it'll do really well. 

Redstone:
i7-4770 / Z97 / GTX 980 / Corsair 16GB  / H90 / 400C / Antec EDGE / Neutron GTX240 / Intel 240Gb / WD 2TB / BenQ XL24

Obsidian:

MSI GE60 2PE i7-4700HQ / 860M / 12GB / WE 1TB / m.Sata 256gb/Elagto USB HD Capture Card

Razer Deathadder Chroma / Razer Blackwidow TE Chroma / Kingston Cloud2's / Sennheiser 429 / Logitech Z333

2 minutes ago, Droidbot said:

i just checked my local retailer... all AMD cards are either out of stock, or preorder.

now that i'm at said retailer anyways.. i am disappoint by the severe lack of a passively cooled RX550...

1 minute ago, Not_Sean said:

If you will only be playing at 1080 = GTX 1060 

if you will be going to 1440p/4k than = RX 580

Yes the 580 is not ideal for 4K but it will do a better job of it. as for 1440p it'll do really well. 

mind explaining your reasoning behind that?

i just checked my local retailer... all AMD cards are either out of stock, or preorder.

now that i'm at said retailer anyways.. i am disappoint by the severe lack of a passively cooled RX550...

there was a passive cooled RX460 last generation, and that was quite a nice card. it was by XFX too

idk

mind explaining your reasoning behind that?

all the benchmarks i've seen have shown Vram as important for the higher Res's but the 1060 is a bit more powerful PGU therefore if we ignoring the OP only ever playing Vulcan games I'd prob go for the 1060. 

but if he wants to go higher res the 8gb vs 6gb will show through over the slight performance power. 

If i am wrong on this please do correct me, As i'm going off what I have heard and read, not hard facts. 

Redstone:
i7-4770 / Z97 / GTX 980 / Corsair 16GB  / H90 / 400C / Antec EDGE / Neutron GTX240 / Intel 240Gb / WD 2TB / BenQ XL24

Obsidian:

MSI GE60 2PE i7-4700HQ / 860M / 12GB / WE 1TB / m.Sata 256gb/Elagto USB HD Capture Card

Razer Deathadder Chroma / Razer Blackwidow TE Chroma / Kingston Cloud2's / Sennheiser 429 / Logitech Z333

Just now, Not_Sean said:

all the benchmarks i've seen have shown Vram as important for the higher Res's but the 1060 is a bit more powerful PGU therefore if we ignoring the OP only ever playing Vulcan games I'd prob go for the 1060. 

one simple note about the VRAM:

core craps out first

The RX 580 is out of stock literally everywhere unless you wanna spend $500 plus on a midrange GPU.

Get the 1060 until the Bitcoin mining craze dies down again.

|PSU Tier List /80 Plus Efficiency| PSU stuff if you need it. 

My system: PCPartPicker || For Corsair support tag @Corsair Josephor @Corsair Nick || My 5MT Legacy GT Wagon ||

35 minutes ago, Droidbot said:

Where are you finding them for $239? I can't find any cheaper than a GTX 1070 that aren't sold out.

49 minutes ago, CrunchyO123 said:

I have heard that there was also a shortage of r9 290x's back in the day. I was not into gaming that much back then, but can any of you say what that was like.

290 shows up. Nvidia drops the price of the 780 down to ~$500 to compete. Bit coin and LCoin  show up. Boom. The 290 jumps to $500 anyways. 

*edit* that's a jump from ~$400 to $500.