less storage then what i paid for?

Lilninjsways

hello I bought a WD Black 1 tb hard drive and installing Windows 10 and after that a bunch of games on steam so my lil brothers ready to go for his bday... (june 27th) I wrote my petition onto the hard drive but it said it only had 932 gb... why is that?

MY MAIN BUILD AT FATHERS HOUSE!

Spoiler

CPU: AMD FX-8300 3.3GHz 8-Core Processor CPU COOLER:  Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO 82.9 CFM Sleeve Bearing CPU Cooler

Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-970A-DS3P ATX AM3+ Motherboard

RAM: 32gb ddr3

Hard Drive:  Western Digital Caviar Blue 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive

Graphics Card:  MSI Radeon RX 470 DirectX 12 Radeon RX 470 ARMOR 4G OC 4GB 256-Bit GDDR5 PCI Express 3.0 x16 HDCP Ready CrossFireX Support Video Card

Case: Rosewill TYRFING ATX Mid Tower Case

Network Adapter:  TP-Link TL-WN781ND PCI-Express x1 802.11b/g/n Wi-Fi Adapter

Case Fans:  Corsair Air Series AF140 Quiet Edition 67.8 CFM 140mm Fan (PLUS THE STOCK CASE FAN)

Monitor:  Asus VG248QE 24.0" 1920x1080 144Hz Monitor

Keyboard:  Thermaltake CHALLENGER PRIME Wired Gaming Keyboard

Mouse:  MSI Interceptor DS B1 Wired Optical Mouse

Speakers: Logitech Z200 0W 2ch Speakers

It might be because of windows and the storage it takes up, and perhaps other vital programs.

My name Jeff

Haha!

Welcome to the glorious world of computer marketing!

In short, GB != GiB

Windows measures using the smaller one while the manufacturers measure with the larger number. 

https://www.quora.com/What-is-the-Difference-between-GiB-and-GB

Want to know which mobo to get?

Spoiler

Choose whatever you need. Any more, you're wasting your money. Any less, and you don't get the features you need.

Only you know what you need to do with your computer, so nobody's really qualified to answer this question except for you.

chEcK iNsidE sPoilEr fOr a tREat!

8 minutes ago, Lilninjsways said:

hello I bought a WD Black 1 tb hard drive and installing Windows 10 and after that a bunch of games on steam so my lil brothers ready to go for his bday... (june 27th) I wrote my petition onto the hard drive but it said it only had 932 gb... why is that?

1TB to a hard drive manufacturer is exactly 1 trillion bytes. 1TB to a computer is 2^40 bytes. See also: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Binary_prefix

Edited by M.Yurizaki

12 minutes ago, Lilninjsways said:

In short when you buy a drive it will not have 100% of the advertised space on it, due to the was storage is seen by the computer, Installing windows also would take up some space on that drive further lowering the capacity.

MochPot: AMD Ryzen 5 2600, 16GB 3200MHz DDR4, ASRock X370 Fatality K7, 8GB Nvidia GeForce GTX 1070, 256gb Salvaged Intel Rando NVME SSD, Corsair RM750x, Corsair Carbide 275R, Windows 10 Pro

ZenServerRequiem: AMD Ryzen 3 2200g, 32GB 3200MHz DDR4, MSI B450 Gaming Plus, 4GB Nvidia GeForce GTX 960, 2GB Nvidia Quadro P400, 500gb Salvaged Intel Rando NVME SSD (Cache Drive only), 3 x Seagate Baracuda 2TB, Corsair CX500, Corsair Carbine 750T, Limetech Unraid (Running Plex, Jackett, Sonarr, WireShark, Duck DNS, Ubuntu Server VM for MC server)

1GB = 1000MB

1GiB = 1024MiB.

Windows measures in the latter, HDD manufacturers in the first. a 1TB drive would be 931.323 GiB (or just 932 'GB' like Windows would say).

"We're all in this together, might as well be friends" Tom, Toonami.

mini eLiXiVy: my open source 65% mechanical PCB, a build log, PCB anatomy and discussing open source licenses: https://linustechtips.com/topic/1366493-elixivy-a-65-mechanical-keyboard-build-log-pcb-anatomy-and-how-i-open-sourced-this-project/

mini_cardboard: a 4% keyboard build log and how keyboards workhttps://linustechtips.com/topic/1328547-mini_cardboard-a-4-keyboard-build-log-and-how-keyboards-work/

Right click it and look at the properties.

This is what a 4TB drive looks like.

592df14bed079_bandicam2017-05-3015-24-02-145.jpg.8f3a128190c1cccc612ee2273234795e.jpg

Windows shows the capacity as GiB instead of GB, so that's why it looks like less.

It's still >4 000 000 000 000 bytes.

NEW PC build: Blank Heaven   minimalist white and black PC     Old S340 build log "White Heaven"        The "LIGHTCANON" flashlight build log        Project AntiRoll (prototype)        Custom speaker project

Spoiler

Ryzen 3950X | AMD Vega Frontier Edition | ASUS X570 Pro WS | Corsair Vengeance LPX 64GB | NZXT H500 | Seasonic Prime Fanless TX-700 | Custom loop | Coolermaster SK630 White | Logitech MX Master 2S | Samsung 980 Pro 1TB + 970 Pro 512GB | Samsung 58" 4k TV | Scarlett 2i4 | 2x AT2020

Your system works in binary (base 2). It uses the base 2 system of Mebibytes, Gibibytes, Tebibytes and so on. There are 1024 Mebibytes in a Gibibyte and 1024 Gibibytes in a Tebibyte and so on. The unit abbreviations for these are KiB, MiB, GiB, TiB and so on. 

Hard drive manufacturers measure capacity in decimal (base 10) because really, it's easier for people to understand and nice round numbers sound nicer to us humans. The base 10 system uses Kilobytes (Kilo=1000), Megabytes, Gigabytes, Terabytes and so on. There are 1000 Megabytes in a Gigabyte, 1000 Gigabytes in a Terabyte and so on. Unit abbreviations are KB, MB, GB, TB and so on. 

Windows doesn't convert the binary values into decimal but still uses the abbreviations for the decimal system for some reason. The sizes shown are not incorrect, but the wrong unit abbreviations are being used by Windows. 

1000 Gigabytes (what the drive manufacturer measures) is equivalent to 931.323 Gibibytes (what your system uses). Your drive is still 1TB, which is the same as 931.323GiB.

The issue is that Windows just uses the wrong unit abbreviations. I do wish MS would just implement a simple conversion that converts all values to decimal. It prevents the misunderstanding of drives appearing lower capacity to those who don't know the reason. Back when I worked in retail we actually had some people that would try to return USB drives for not being the size advertised, when really it was just showing a different unit. 

There also seems to be a lack of knowledge of the existence of Mebi, Gibi, Tebi etc. I admit they sound stupid (Gibi, really?) but they should be taught in IT courses. During my degree, we were taught that there is 1024 Megabytes in a Gigabyte, which is not true as it's a decimal (base 10) system. 

EDIT: Also, be careful with how you write/type unit abbreviations, it can cause confusion due to their different meanings. 

For example, in your post, you're writing "tb" and "gb" which are Terabit and Gigabit due to the lower case "b" (the T and G should always be capital until you're writing a unit that calls for a lower case). The difference between them makes a huge difference in unit size. A Tb (Terabit) is 1/8th the size of a TB (Terabyte), so a 1Tb (Terabit) drive would be the same as 125GB (Gigabyte) drive. It's a common mistake that causes issues most commonly with networking. Almost all networking products and bandwidth quotes will use bits. When they compare their network bandwidth to their download speed, they think it's significantly slower when in really it's just that networking tends to use bits, so Megabits (Mb), while download speed will often show in bytes, so Megabytes (MB).