Anyone know for a fact you were followed inside a store?

yathis

I walk into a store, very large store.... say Target and I go through the side entrance/exit not the main one as I always do.

I see an older male looking at the cashier displays behind the cashier (not in front more inward to store), but I see him looking at me as I walk in. Its not like a glance, but a full on look plus he had to turn his head 90 degree's, and I was silent as I walked in. That clued me in right away to what he was.

Then I walk in about 25-30 feet straight in, and hang a left and go down 1/2 to 3/4 of the aisle for "Widget Spinners" but there is an old person in a cane blocking what I want to look at more closely so I wait and look at the "GI Joe" section 3' down in the same aisle but opposite side. Old person is taking their time, I am chill about it. Old person canes away and I move in and need about 2 minutes to find what I need in the "Widget Spinner" section, but I turn on my heel and go down 3' and look at GI Joes again.

Low and behold, the dude at the front is there, acting like a customer, but I know he aint no customer but he works for Target. So as I got my 3 "Widget Spinners" I go the long way around the aisle and back up and to the cashier, waiting for a bulk order customer and I am chill about it. After 1 to 2 minutes I am up, hand over my items and the fucking asshole is back but in front of me eye balling me again.

Here is a Paint diagram for you all.

I have a long goatee and a few day scrub, in a black coat. I feel I was discriminated against and I wonder what I should do about it so I ask you all here - What should I do about it?

I thought about really fucking with the guy, as in taking shit and putting it in my large coat pockets, then taking it all out somewhere else. But I go to that store, its local to me, if I was in a store I hardly ever go to I totally would have done it. Also I really didnt have time to fuck with them.

Its funny cuz when I opened my wallet, I had about $300 in 20's so I hope to fuck he saw that.

Have any of you guys had similar experiences with dumbass security?

Clipboard01.jpg

Target Guy.pngI was followed in a Sears one time I was aboutt to steal a baseball glove just for the thrill. I saw douchebag eyeballing me through the clothing rack. I never got stopped until I was halfway down the hall inthe middle. I had an old 88 olympics summer coat on that I ripped the inside for a concealed inside pocket. When they patted me down they did not find the fish food I stole. We did not have any fish at that time. That must have been 1988 or so, I was no no I must have been younger, so it must have been 1984 or 5 or so.

When i was in the 7-8th grades i had issues like that. At the time i had long hair,  a full beard and probably 6ft tall.  

By highschool it ended as i was in jrotc so i was very clean cut.

One time a guard pulled me and my friends outside and searched us, and by us i mean me.  He gave me a ration if shit, likely cause he was shorter than i, but he didn't find anything.   I was a smart ass back to him and kept his attention.  Cause while i had nothing my friends had pocketed a number of items. 

3 minutes ago, Thunderpup said:

When i was in the 7-8th grades i had issues like that. At the time i had long hair,  a full beard and probably 6ft tall.  

you had a beard and long hair at your high school? man you are lucky, i had to have short hair, i hate short hair

i like long hair.... it's nice

****SORRY FOR MY ENGLISH IT'S REALLY TERRIBLE*****

Been married to my wife for 3 years now! Yay!

3 hours ago, yathis said:

I walk into a store, very large store.... say Target and I go through the side entrance/exit not the main one as I always do.

I see an older male looking at the cashier displays behind the cashier (not in front more inward to store), but I see him looking at me as I walk in. Its not like a glance, but a full on look plus he had to turn his head 90 degree's, and I was silent as I walked in. That clued me in right away to what he was.

Then I walk in about 25-30 feet straight in, and hang a left and go down 1/2 to 3/4 of the aisle for "Widget Spinners" but there is an old person in a cane blocking what I want to look at more closely so I wait and look at the "GI Joe" section 3' down in the same aisle but opposite side. Old person is taking their time, I am chill about it. Old person canes away and I move in and need about 2 minutes to find what I need in the "Widget Spinner" section, but I turn on my heel and go down 3' and look at GI Joes again.

Low and behold, the dude at the front is there, acting like a customer, but I know he aint no customer but he works for Target. So as I got my 3 "Widget Spinners" I go the long way around the aisle and back up and to the cashier, waiting for a bulk order customer and I am chill about it. After 1 to 2 minutes I am up, hand over my items and the fucking asshole is back but in front of me eye balling me again.

I have a long goatee and a few day scrub, in a black coat. I feel I was discriminated against and I wonder what I should do about it so I ask you all here - What should I do about it?

I thought about really fucking with the guy, as in taking shit and putting it in my large coat pockets, then taking it all out somewhere else. But I go to that store, its local to me, if I was in a store I hardly ever go to I totally would have done it. Also I really didnt have time to fuck with them.

Its funny cuz when I opened my wallet, I had about $300 in 20's so I hope to fuck he saw that.

Clipboard01.jpg

Target Guy.pngI was followed in a Sears one time I was aboutt to steal a baseball glove just for the thrill. I saw douchebag eyeballing me through the clothing rack. I never got stopped until I was halfway down the hall inthe middle. I had an old 88 olympics summer coat on that I ripped the inside for a concealed inside pocket. When they patted me down they did not find the fish food I stole. We did not have any fish at that time. That must have been 1988 or so, I was no no I must have been younger, so it must have been 1984 or 5 or so.

Its called loss prevention. Because you have ass holes who take shit with out paying. When I worked at Sams Club people would steal phone cases and accessories all the time. Shit, we had a group pile a shit ton of alcohol in a cart take it out the emergency exit and put the whole fucking cart in the bed of a truck. They have the right to follow any one. If you dont like it then dont shop their. 

I just want to sit back and watch the world burn. 

Just ignore it, its all part and parcel of brick and mortar shopping.  As a clean cut adult i look back on how i looked in my teens and i would have followed me if i were in that job lol 

46 minutes ago, Donut417 said:

If you dont like it

No I prefer that store because the store just opened, its always empty compared to Home Depot down the road 2 minutes away. Home Depots been there a very long time.

But yeah I didnt like me being eyeballed I cant think of the proper term, but stereotyping is similar. Anyways I cant think of the term, its like when police do to minorities in the inner city. But with my long goatee and my scrub he thought I was a bum/thief.

Man I am kicking myself I should have acted a little suspicious right off bat, knowing I am being followed. I would just swivel my head a little more, looking up at camera's maybe, do double backs and keep looking up and down the aisle. I wouldnt have gone as far as I stated before like fucking with them like I mentioned where I take small shit and put it in my pocket acting like my hands are full or something, thats going too far for this particular store that I like to frequent.

Oh oh oh maybe I should have just spoken with him when I saw him the second time. I could be honest and straightforward with him saying I am not a theif now stop following me........ or just fuck with him like asking him where the pillows and and putting a small item in my pocket and saying How you like that.

1 hour ago, yathis said:

No I prefer that store because the store just opened, its always empty compared to Home Depot down the road 2 minutes away. Home Depots been there a very long time.

But yeah I didnt like me being eyeballed I cant think of the proper term, but stereotyping is similar. Anyways I cant think of the term, its like when police do to minorities in the inner city. But with my long goatee and my scrub he thought I was a bum/thief.

Man I am kicking myself I should have acted a little suspicious right off bat, knowing I am being followed. I would just swivel my head a little more, looking up at camera's maybe, do double backs and keep looking up and down the aisle. I wouldnt have gone as far as I stated before like fucking with them like I mentioned where I take small shit and put it in my pocket acting like my hands are full or something, thats going too far for this particular store that I like to frequent.

Oh oh oh maybe I should have just spoken with him when I saw him the second time. I could be honest and straightforward with him saying I am not a theif now stop following me........ or just fuck with him like asking him where the pillows and and putting a small item in my pocket and saying How you like that.

Unfortunately they are security for the store.  They can follow anyone they wish.  Plus you are going to the widget spinners.  I'd have sent security after you as well.  Joking.  

But seriously.  This weekend is Memorial Day weekend here in the states.  Normally I don't have to leave my house to work but this weekend I'm helping out the Hotels I take care of by acting as Security for the properties.  I'm allowed to follow anyone I want, question them, and if they don't belong or are a danger to the other guests, I get to remove them from the property.  Last year we had to arrest 24 people in 2 days due to disturbing the peace, public intox with violence, and drugs.  Hate to ruin vacations but it has to be done.

As for store security, you might feel discriminated against but trust me you aren't.  They are doing their job.  They usually pick people at random or fit certain criteria.  As well as pay attention to the location you go to.  That area might be a high chance for theft due to the small size of the items.  If a 1 dollar item is stolen it doesn't sound like much.  But if 100 people each take 1 that is a 100 dollars.  Now they have to raise the prices to the paying customers to offset the stolen products.  So now the paying customer gets the shaft as well.

I'd much rather have them following me, knowing they are doing the jobs they are hired for than to have no security within the stores.  

Current Build

AMD Ryzen 2600

Stock cooler

Asus ROG B450f gaming Mobo

1tb SKHynix m.2

WD 1TB HDD

Asus ROG Strix RX 5700xt

Thermaltake Toughpower 650w DPS RGB 80+Gold

16 Gigs ddr4 3000 gskill ram

Phantek fans

Phanteks P400TG

Laptop

Eluktronics Prometheus XVII

Ryzen 7 5800h

32 gigs ddr4 Corsair ram

Nvidia rtx 3080 max-p

17.3 qhd 165 hrz screen

1tb Samsung m.2

1tb WD black m.2

Try not to worry about it, the dude was just doing his job. I'd only make an issue out of it if he had confronted you and demanded you turn out your pockets or something.

Call the manager and complain there was a creepy pedophile pervert following you and staring at you as you were trying to shop, give him the description and watch him get his ass fired for being a sloppy detective.

Grammar and spelling is not indicative of intelligence/knowledge.  Not having the same opinion does not always mean lack of understanding.  

11 hours ago, Thunderpup said:

By highschool it ended as i was in jrotc so i was very clean cut.

One time a guard pulled me and my friends outside and searched us, and by us i mean me.  He gave me a ration if shit, likely cause he was shorter than i, but he didn't find anything.   I was a smart ass back to him and kept his attention.  Cause while i had nothing my friends had pocketed a number of items. 

Beard in 7-8 grade and and long hair,

wait wut.

- snip-

17 minutes ago, MrDynamicMan said:

Beard in 7-8 grade and and long hair,

wait wut.

Yea i started shaving in the 6th grade.

at first it was cool, but then i realized how much shaving sucked.   My friend's loved it cause i was able to buy ciggs without getting carded.  I didn't even smoke lol

15 hours ago, yathis said:

I was followed in a Sears one time I was aboutt to steal a baseball glove just for the thrill. I saw douchebag eyeballing me through the clothing rack. I never got stopped until I was halfway down the hall inthe middle. I had an old 88 olympics summer coat on that I ripped the inside for a concealed inside pocket. When they patted me down they did not find the fish food I stole. We did not have any fish at that time. That must have been 1988 or so, I was no no I must have been younger, so it must have been 1984 or 5 or so.

I'll bite.

TL;DR you were offended because an employee suspected that you may be a shoplifter. Then you end your post that you planned to shoplift elsewhere just for the thrill of it. And somehow these employees are the dumbasses? This is just beyond stupid.

What should you do? Nothing. Buy your shit like any regular customer. I doubt the Target guy is getting paid enough to be tormented by an immature budding kleptomaniac. 

I was overseas several years ago and went to a grocery to pick up like two specific items.  I'm usually pretty good at picking up local customs, but I was in a hurry and didn't pick up a basket or a cart as I came in the door.  Evidently not having a basket or cart = shoplifter and I quickly found myself with a shadow about 10 steps behind me until I made it through the checkout.

It was kinda creepy at the time, but funny after I had a chance to think about it.

4 hours ago, spartanvi said:

planned to shoplift elsewhere just for the thrill of it

You misunderstood or I was not clear.

I shoplifted once as a child, decades and decades and decades ago. The store is long gone, so making amends was out of the question, I have however donated to bums on the street by giving them food or change.

3 hours ago, chrisholland03 said:

-

I occasionally will walk into the warehouse part of a store to look for and grab a cart or basket. Because I end up realizing I need more then just milk.

@spartanvi

I would prefer to have a professional under cover person then someone that obvious. Look them independant corner store, minority owned stores eyeball everyone which I notice.

Most people that have experience in retail/loss prevention knows that stereotyping means jack squat when it comes to shoplifting. The spectrum of perpetrators is fairly ridiculous. 

5 hours ago, yathis said:

@spartanvi

I would prefer to have a professional under cover person then someone that obvious. Look them independant corner store, minority owned stores eyeball everyone which I notice.

Thats how it was at Sams Club. Our Lost prevention wore plain close and you didnt know who she worked for. 

I just want to sit back and watch the world burn. 

Well in a big store its easy to spot them I guess because they are there, where you are in a few different spots.

i like some of the people above saying he(presumably a security official) was doing his job &  the customer had no right complaining,  it's a  different system when it comes to doing day to day activities & last thing you need is someone following you around stalker like manner making you feel uneasy .  they do have security cameras over there right?  seems like a bored employee adventure task of playing a role or some shit .

Details separate people.

That has happened to me many times. I like to play with them. 

Sometimes I'll ask them where something is, and when the respond with "I don't work here" I reply with "Well with the way you were following me I thought you did."

Other times I'll confront them directly and tell them to f*** off. 

This stuff really bothers me. Slightly different subject, but it's also troublesome when they try to stop me for my receipt at Walmart. Treat us like we're criminals and then force us to prove our innocence? Whenever they ask for my receipt at the exit I always say no thanks like I didn't understand them and they don't do anything because they can't do anything...

I just want to go to the store, buy the stuff I wanted to buy, and leave. Without being followed or harassed at the exit. 

And to think people wonder why retail is failing...

Yes, it's 2871 as in the year 2871. I traveled all this way, back in time, just to help you. And you thought your mama lied when she said you were special-_-

On 5/25/2017 at 9:00 PM, Blebekblebek said:

So tl;dr version

Security who's doing his job properly is a dumbass security?

Try online shopping next time.

If the security is doing his job properly in the suspect won't even realize he's being followed.

Or better yet, they won't have to follow people to begin with...

Yes, it's 2871 as in the year 2871. I traveled all this way, back in time, just to help you. And you thought your mama lied when she said you were special-_-

1 hour ago, Xanthe_2871 said:

If the security is doing his job properly in the suspect won't even realize he's being followed.

Or better yet, they won't have to follow people to begin with...

There's a differences being stalking-out and watching out.

Do you really just comparing a security with private detective?

It's a public place that owned by private company, you don't like their rules, then too bad.