Hello, I was looking to upgrade my CPU 

currently im rocking an FX 6350 cpu with a gtx 960 4gb. so I want to upgrade my cpu. However, I find it hard to pinpoint which will give me the best performance/ dollar.

I need input on which CPU will be best. I have a good cpu air cooler so I'm willing to do some overclocking, since I've heard the AMD cpu's can really overclock.  I have seen some price drops from intel that makes them look better right now (for gaming). However, I am not sure how the latest updates have affected AMD cpu's.

Input about r5 vs i5 value and overclocking would be appreciated.

Ryzen 1600 is the best gaming processor you can buy in cost-to-performance nowadays.

Personal Desktop":

CPU: Intel Core i7 10700K @5ghz |~| Cooling: bq! Dark Rock Pro 4 |~| MOBO: Gigabyte Z490UD ATX|~| RAM: 16gb DDR4 3333mhzCL16 G.Skill Trident Z |~| GPU: RX 6900XT Sapphire Nitro+ |~| PSU: Corsair TX650M 80Plus Gold |~| Boot:  SSD WD Green M.2 2280 240GB |~| Storage: 1x3TB HDD 7200rpm Seagate Barracuda + SanDisk Ultra 3D 1TB |~| Case: Fractal Design Meshify C Mini |~| Display: Toshiba UL7A 4K/60hz |~| OS: Windows 10 Pro.

Luna, the temporary Desktop:

CPU: AMD R9 7950XT  |~| Cooling: bq! Dark Rock 4 Pro |~| MOBO: Gigabyte Aorus Master |~| RAM: 32G Kingston HyperX |~| GPU: AMD Radeon RX 7900XTX (Reference) |~| PSU: Corsair HX1000 80+ Platinum |~| Windows Boot Drive: 2x 512GB (1TB total) Plextor SATA SSD (RAID0 volume) |~| Linux Boot Drive: 500GB Kingston A2000 |~| Storage: 4TB WD Black HDD |~| Case: Cooler Master Silencio S600 |~| Display 1 (leftmost): Eizo (unknown model) 1920x1080 IPS @ 60Hz|~| Display 2 (center): BenQ ZOWIE XL2540 1920x1080 TN @ 240Hz |~| Display 3 (rightmost): Wacom Cintiq Pro 24 3840x2160 IPS @ 60Hz 10-bit |~| OS: Windows 10 Pro (games / art) + Linux (distro: NixOS; programming and daily driver)

Just now, mcfaler said:

Hello, I was looking to upgrade my CPU 

currently im rocking an FX 6350 cpu with a gtx 960 4gb. so I want to upgrade my cpu. However, I find it hard to pinpoint which will give me the best performance/ dollar.

I need input on which CPU will be best. I have a good cpu air cooler so I'm willing to do some overclocking, since I've heard the AMD cpu's can really overclock.  I have seen some price drops from intel that makes them look better right now (for gaming). However, I am not sure how the latest updates have affected AMD cpu's.

Input about r5 vs i5 value and overclocking would be appreciated.

R5 is completely beating the I5, because the more threads you get with Ryzen

"Make it future proof for some years at least, don't buy "only slightly better" stuff that gets outdated 1 year, that's throwing money away" @pipoawas

-Frequencies DON'T represent everything and in many cases that is true (referring to Individual CPU Clocks).

Mention me if you want to summon me sooner or later

Spoiler

My head on 2019 :

Note 10, S10, Samsung becomes Apple, Zen 2, 3700X, Renegade X lol

Get R5.

i5 are not really worth it right now.

R5 doesn't really OC that well as FX did, but they perform. Make sure you get compatible RAM with your motherboard, it is really important as the motherboards are very picky about this.

RAM speeds matter on Ryzen so get fast sticks if your budget allows it.

1 minute ago, WereCat said:

Get R5.

i5 are not really worth it right now.

R5 doesn't really OC that well as FX did, but they perform. Make sure you get compatible RAM with your motherboard, it is really important as the motherboards are very picky about this.

Thank you for mentioning the ram part I forgot that was an issue. do you have a link to a guide about buying ram? I thought the ram issue was being fixed, or at least there  were far more options

Just now, mcfaler said:

Thank you for mentioning the ram part I forgot that was an issue. do you have a link to a guide about buying ram? I thought the ram issue was being fixed, or at least there  were far more options

The issues are mostly fixed, the list of compatible RAM is also larger now.

You can check the supported RAM for the motherboard model you choose on the motherboard manufacturer website.

if ur looking to do mostly gaming then intel

productivity like video editing etc then r5

web browsing etc then intel g4560 or wait for ryzen 3

15 minutes ago, WereCat said:

R5 doesn't really OC that well as FX did

Very few processors ever created have overclocked as well as FX did. If there is one thing FX had going for it, it was overclocking. Pretty sure someone got an 8120 up to like 8.1GHz or some crazy shit like that on liquid nitrogen. Lol.

GPU: XFX RX 7900 XTX

CPU: Ryzen 7 7800X3D

Just now, Orangeator said:

Very few processors ever created have overclocked as well as FX did. If there is one thing FX had going for it, it was overclocking. Pretty sure someone got an 8120 up to like 8.1GHz or some crazy shit like that on liquid nitrogen. Lol.

I think it was something like 8.8GHz with all 8 cores active but I am lazy to doublecheck.

If gaming is your only concern, then i5 would be much better, but would lack in future-proofing. Also the gap between them gets bigger as you overclock kabe-lake.

So true it hurts

29 minutes ago, SirFlamenco said:

If gaming is your only concern, then i5 would be much better, but would lack in future-proofing. Also the gap between them gets bigger as you overclock kabe-lake.

If he isn't high refresh rate gaming... Then they are equal. The i5 won't be able to reach 60 fps in a game if the R5 can't. 

GPU: XFX RX 7900 XTX

CPU: Ryzen 7 7800X3D

There is the i5-7600k to consider. After overclocked it can outperform the 1600 by about 20% http://cpu.userbenchmark.com/Compare/Intel-Core-i5-7600K-vs-AMD-Ryzen-5-1600/3885vs3919

The i5-7600k will also outperform the 1600x and costs less, in JUST GAMING its gets smashed in workstation. However the 1600 and 1600x will be more future proof if games move away from quad-core optimization to multi-core optimization. (also Vulcan and DX12) 

http://cpu.userbenchmark.com/Compare/Intel-Core-i5-7600K-vs-AMD-Ryzen-5-1600X/3885vs3920

So for pure GAMING the i5-7600k is the best price to performance BUT may not be as future proof and gets smashed in productivity tasks.

This should answer your question

If anyone asks you never saw me.

The R5 1600 over an unlocked i5 is a no-brainer when we're solidly in an era where games are optimized to run on the weak octacore cpus in the consoles. Gamers Nexus tested these cpus and while the R5 1600 and i5-7600k got pretty much the same average framerates, the dips in framerate were worse on the i5. To me the only time an i5 is justified now is on a budget too tight for an R5 1600 since you can get lower end i5 for $170 or so and use them with $50 boards.

2 hours ago, Princess Cadence said:

Ryzen 1600 is the best gaming processor you can buy in cost-to-performance nowadays.

Legit take it from someone who has a 4790k at 4.8ghz and a 1600 at 4ghz

i game on the 1600 it's just so much smoother and consistent 

AMD (and proud) r7 1700 4ghz- 

also (1600) 

asus rog crosshairs vi hero x370-

MSI 980ti G6 1506mhz slix2 -

h110 pull - acer xb270hu 1440p -

corsair 750D - corsair 16gb 2933

1 hour ago, App4that said:

So you didn't watch the video, the 1600 won. 

Actually no, the i5 won but here some more results from an article I just read ryzen_5_rise_of_the_tomb_raider_19x10_me

I hope that game developers will start to optimize for ryzen, but we are just not here now.

So true it hurts

Just now, SirFlamenco said:

Actually no, the i5 won but here some more results from an article I just read I also hope that game developers will start to optimize for ryzen, but we are just not here now.

ROTTR is known to have problems with Ryzen, one game does not a review make. 

The 1600 won, it's stated that the 1600 won in the video. Your reluctance to acknowledge that does nothing for your argument. Ryzen is a brand new architecture, the 7600k is a rebrand of the Skylake 6600k, and the 1600 still won. 

3 minutes ago, SirFlamenco said:

Actually no, the i5 won but here some more results from an article I just read 

It may have slightly higher averages, but 1% and 0.1% lows are higher, which means that Gameplay is smoother. Honestly, i5s are no longer the best choice. If you are considering the 7600K, you should buy a Ryzen 5 1600 or an i7 7700. But the 1600 is a better choice than the 7700

I completely agree with @App4that

CPU: Intel Core i7-5820K | Motherboard: AsRock X99 Extreme4 | Graphics Card: Gigabyte GTX 1080 G1 Gaming | RAM: 16GB G.Skill Ripjaws4 2133MHz | Storage: 1 x Samsung 860 EVO 1TB | 1 x WD Green 2TB | 1 x WD Blue 500GB | PSU: Corsair RM750x | Case: Phanteks Enthoo Pro (White) | Cooling: Arctic Freezer i32

Mice: Logitech G Pro X Superlight (main), Logitech G Pro Wireless, Razer Viper Ultimate, Zowie S1 Divina Blue, Zowie FK1-B Divina Blue, Logitech G Pro (3366 sensor), Glorious Model O, Razer Viper Mini, Logitech G305, Logitech G502, Logitech G402

1 minute ago, RAM555789 said:

If its pure gaming the i5-7600k wins out, though the Ryzen 1600 is likely more future proof. http://cpu.userbenchmark.com/Compare/Intel-Core-i5-7600K-vs-AMD-Ryzen-5-1600/3885vs3919

User benchmark isn't the best platform to compare Ryzen to anything else. Ryzen is fiddly, the z270 platform is plug and play. It does take more to get the best performance out of Ryzen, than Intel. No one can deny that. 

5 minutes ago, App4that said:

User benchmark isn't the best platform to compare Ryzen to anything else. Ryzen is fiddly, the z270 platform is plug and play. It does take more to get the best performance out of Ryzen, than Intel. No one can deny that. 

To get your best overclock your gonna have to fiddle around a lot with any K processor.