Windows 10 ‘Kill Switch’ Can Identify and Block All Illegal Downloads

vorticalbox

But it now turns out that Microsoft was actually filing an anti-piracy patent back in 2015, right around the release of Windows 10.  We just didn’t know it at the time.

Now, two years later, that patent has been approved.  And it specifically details a capability to detect and block pirated content, not to mention report users.

“Objects in a shared storage system can be marked as including prohibited content.  Incidents that result in objects being so marked can be stored in an incident history associated with a user responsible for those objects.  

“The incident history can be processed to identify repeat offenders and modify access privileges of those users.

“However, when objects are shared by one user with another user, prohibited content is blocked from being shared, while the remainder of the shared objects can be accessed by the other user.”

The USPTO officially awarded the patent on April 4th, 2017.  Of course, that award happened with very little fanfare (and almost no media coverage).

So what happens next?  At this stage, it’s unclear whether Windows 10 will activate the anti-piracy capabilities.  One plausible suggestion is that Microsoft will only employ protection and tracking on specific software targets.  That would include pirated copies of its own software, while stopping short of wide-scale music, film, TV, and gaming piracy.

Seems that Microsoft could block all illegal downloads on their operating system.  It's really nice to see windows taking more control away form their users. Though this will probably be used to block windows cracking tools. 

http://www.digitalmusicnews.com/2017/05/14/windows-10-microsoft-kill-switch-piracy/

¸„»°'´¸„»°'´ Vorticalbox `'°«„¸`'°«„¸
`'°«„¸¸„»°'´¸„»°'´`'°«„¸Scientia Potentia est  ¸„»°'´`'°«„¸`'°«„¸¸„»°'´

Damn.

There will sure to be a backlash alright, and no doubt a 3rd party tool to disable it.

CPU: Ryzen R7 1700 @ 3.9 | MB: MSI X370 Gaming Pro Carbon | RAM: Vengeance RGB @ 3200 | HDD: Samsung 960 Evo 250gb nVME M.2 | GPU: Powercolor 5700XT | CASE: Corsair Crystal X570 | PSU: Thermaltake Toughpower RGB 750W | CPU COOLING: Full Custom EKWB CPU Water Loop | OS: Windows 10 Pro

8 minutes ago, vorticalbox said:

Seems that Microsoft could block all illegal downloads on their operating system.  It's really nice to see windows taking more control away form their users. Though this will probably be used to block windows cracking tools. 

http://www.digitalmusicnews.com/2017/05/14/windows-10-microsoft-kill-switch-piracy/

And surely it's only on Windows 10?

You know what, that's going to push me back to Windows 7...

plz be a switch, not smt perma

Just now, KickinGravy said:

I wonder how many people are gonna say they are switching to Linux after reading this? 

almost 0 as if they want there is still win 7

Just now, deXxterlab97 said:

almost 0 as if they want there is still win 7

Not for much longer, newer games and programs are slowing starting to become Windows 10 exclusive 

I understand they are doing this to prevent Piracy but they are then invading everyone's privacy by going through every file people have on their computer 

Hello

Just now, TAHIRMIA said:

I understand they are doing this to prevent Piracy but they are then invading everyone's privacy by going through every file people have on their computer 

I think this will only apply to OneDrive, not necessarily the whole OS (fingers crossed) 

Just now, KickinGravy said:

I think this will only apply to OneDrive, not necessarily the whole OS (fingers crossed) 

I doubt it. Many people probably only have whatever was given to them free when making the account, so I don't think they would limit it to just OneDrive

Hello

2 minutes ago, KickinGravy said:

Nope, we're f*cked...

1 minute ago, TAHIRMIA said:

I doubt it. Many people probably only have whatever was given to them free when making the account, so I don't think they would limit it to just OneDrive

Well lets hope in any case, we shall see in time.

ill be keeping an eye out on the developer channels for new drm. Maybe they might sell developers keys on the windows store to sign their apps?

☼

ψ ︿_____︿_ψ_   

3 minutes ago, GoodBytes said:

Old news. This is related to UWP apps.

Back from 2015.

http://www.theinquirer.net/inquirer/news/2422331/gamers-express-concern-at-microsofts-piracy-kill-switch

Moved out of Tech News.

This is different as the patent has been granted now.

7 minutes ago, vorticalbox said:

This is different as the patent has been granted now.

Ok.. and ? That is one heck of a small news. 

This is like going: "BREAKING NEWS: an employee caledl in sick at AMD! Will the company survive? Will it create a delay for AMD latest graphics card chip? Developing...."

A bit silly, if you ask me. Now if it was not known and new, and got the attention because it went through the patent process by being approved, sure! But this was already talked about it here ages ago.

3 minutes ago, GoodBytes said:

Ok.. and ? That is one heck of a small news. Soon: "BREAKING NEWS: an employee call in sick at AMD! Will the company survive? Will it create a delay for AMD latest graphics card chip? Developing...."

I don't see how it is small news, Microsoft now have the means to block any download they define as illegal.

26 minutes ago, deXxterlab97 said:

plz be a switch, not smt perma

Guarantee it won't be a switch lol

CPU: Ryzen R7 1700 @ 3.9 | MB: MSI X370 Gaming Pro Carbon | RAM: Vengeance RGB @ 3200 | HDD: Samsung 960 Evo 250gb nVME M.2 | GPU: Powercolor 5700XT | CASE: Corsair Crystal X570 | PSU: Thermaltake Toughpower RGB 750W | CPU COOLING: Full Custom EKWB CPU Water Loop | OS: Windows 10 Pro

1 minute ago, vorticalbox said:

I don't see how it is small news, Microsoft now have the means to block any download they define as illegal.

I don't think you know what patents are. In short, they are just a recognition of copyright for a specific implementation. Meaning, if someone else does the same thing, implement it the same way, Microsoft can say that hey copied, intentionally or not, their own idea. A document can be proven in court that the idea is theirs. The company doesn't need to wait for approval of patent before patenting it, there is no moral or law check, and they don't even need to implement it. All big companies have a patent policy, where if an employee has an idea, the company gives time to teh employee to develop the idea for patent approval, write up the patent forms and so on, and the company will fully pay the patent cost. Of course, it is owned by the company, but in most companies, they get to put the employee(s) name being credited, which is actually very valuable for a resume.

I was gonna say this is old news. MS already implemented a "kill switch" of sorts for illegal installed games this just takes it a bit farther.

Remember you signed/agreed to a EULA to use the OS and MS can define how you use that Software/OS. This just one more aspect of that agreement that "can change without notice". :| 

COMMUNITY STANDARDS   |   TECH NEWS POSTING GUIDELINES   |   FORUM STAFF

LTT Folding Users Tips, Tricks and FAQ   |   F@H & BOINC Badge Request   |   F@H Contribution    My Rig   |   Project Steamroller

I am a Moderator, but I am fallible. Discuss or debate with me as you will but please do not argue with me as that will get us nowhere.

Spoiler

Character is like a Tree and Reputation like its Shadow. The Shadow is what we think of it; The Tree is the Real thing.  ~ Abraham Lincoln

Reputation is a Lifetime to create but seconds to destroy.

You have enemies? Good. That means you've stood up for something, sometime in your life.  ~ Winston Churchill

Docendo discimus - "to teach is to learn"

CHRISTIAN MEMBER