Defragmenting an SSD

xserd

I have a 32gb Patriot Torqx SSD, I'm using it as a boot drive. I just have a question, Is it bad to defragment an SSD? I have never defragmented mine anyway, I'm just curious on what are the effects.

Since there seems to be some controversy about this I thought it would be helpful to give a detailed explanation:

You should never defrag an SSD. Don't even think about it. The reason is that physical data placement on an SSD is handled solely by the SSD's firmware, and what it reports to Windows is NOT how the data is actually stored on the SSD.

This means that the physical data placement a defragger shows in it's fancy sector chart has nothing to do with reality. The data is NOT where Windows thinks it is, and Windows has no control over where the data is actually placed.

To even out usage on its internal memory chips SSD firmware intentionally splits data up across all of the SSD's memory chips, and it also moves data around on these chips when it isn't busy reading or writing (in an attempt to even out chip usage.)

Windows never sees any of this, so if you do a defrag Windows will simply cause a whole bunch of needless I/O to the SSD and this will do nothing except decrease the useful life of the SSD.

Ice Cream Man's Computer -3770K @4.5ghz- P8Z77-V PRO -Asus GeForce GTX 680 DirectCU II 4 GB -Corsair Vengeance 16GB 1866mhz -Corsair AX750 Gold -WD 2TB Black -M4 128GB SSD

You destroy your write cycles on your ssd!

It doesnt matter that your ssd is fragmentated. it can read every cell straight away. instead of moving the head the the sector

Defraging an SSD reduces its lifetime and SSDs don't use mechanical parts so there will be no performance boost.

I believe, if you're running Windows, the OS doesn't allow you to defragment SSD's anyway.

Gigabyte X58 UD7. Core i7 980X. Radeon HD7950. 12GB Corsair memory. OCZ Vertex 2.

Thanks for the response guys, although Windows 8 automatically defragments SSD's on schedule and I had to manually turn it off.

simply don't defrag an SSD. Plus if it was only a boot disk what is there to Defrag. Actual data placement on an SSD is handled individually by the SSD's firmware, what is sent to the OS is different to how the data is actually stored on the SSD itself

To have optimal lifespan an SSD moves data around all the physical memory chips and evens them out when the SSD is not Reading or Writing files. The OS never sees this but it is a feature built into SSD firmware so that each memory chips has the same usage.

Thanks for the response guys' date=' although Windows 8 automatically defragments SSD's on schedule and I had to manually turn it off.[/quote']

Are you sure Windows is detecting your SSD as such? I'm asking because my copy automatically detected it being an SSD and blanked out the "Analyze" option under the defragment screen.

There's a great guide on Windows 8 and SSDs which will tell you everything you have to know about SSDs here: http://www.overclock.net/t/1240779/seans-windows-8-install-optimization-guide-for-ssds-hdds

Thanks for the response guys' date=' although Windows 8 automatically defragments SSD's on schedule and I had to manually turn it off.[/quote'] Are you sure Windows is detecting your SSD as such? I'm asking because my copy automatically detected it being an SSD and blanked out the "Analyze" option under the defragment screen. There's a great guide on Windows 8 and SSDs which will tell you everything you have to know about SSDs here: http://www.overclock.net/t/1240779/seans-windows-8-install-optimization-guide-for-ssds-hdds

Yes, I'm sure it's detected as an SSD. It's weird that I have to manually turn it off. Anyway thanks for the link.

Here is how you defragment a hard drive:

Now imagine how bad of an idea that would be on an SSD.

Windows is stupid in this respect; defragging an SSD is facepalm worthy. It's ridiculous how Microsoft didn't fix this issue (I remember it from Windows 7!)

Silly.

NO DONT DO IT! ssd's are randomly accessible memory units which are non volatile, defragmenting them is pointless and will wreck your ssd's as defrags make many small reads writes and wipes on the ssd, therefore reducing its lifespan by a fair amount

NEVER DEFRAG A SSD ITS POINTLESS AND BAD FOR IT! if you know anythign about ssd's its that they dont care about fragmentation