Does anyone have any questions they want me to test on an S8?

TechyAlex

Hey LTT,

So I just bought a Samsung Galaxy s8, and I was wondering if anyone would like to ask any questions (ex "does the iris scanner work or is it gimmicky") before buying their own. I also really love testing things so if you want me to do that I can too. 

if you don't mind then 

-battery life after a week of usage, the screen on time especially. 

- benchmark scores  

- a camera sample 

your opinion on the design 

How many meters can i drop it from onto concrete before it breaks?

NEW PC build: Blank Heaven   minimalist white and black PC     Old S340 build log "White Heaven"        The "LIGHTCANON" flashlight build log        Project AntiRoll (prototype)        Custom speaker project

Spoiler

Ryzen 3950X | AMD Vega Frontier Edition | ASUS X570 Pro WS | Corsair Vengeance LPX 64GB | NZXT H500 | Seasonic Prime Fanless TX-700 | Custom loop | Coolermaster SK630 White | Logitech MX Master 2S | Samsung 980 Pro 1TB + 970 Pro 512GB | Samsung 58" 4k TV | Scarlett 2i4 | 2x AT2020

17 minutes ago, nerdslayer1 said:

if you don't mind then 

-battery life after a week of usage, the screen on time especially. 

- benchmark scores  

- a camera sample 

your opinion on the design 

I've only had it for 2 days, and ended each at 30-40% with 3.5 hours SOT. 

Which benchmarks do you want?

And the camera sensor is exactly the same as the S7, and I haven't taken any pictures with it yet, but here are some from my S7. (Cat one is in low light)

20161126_170459.jpg

20170405_200706.jpg

And my opinion on the design: gorgeous. The screen is stunning, my singular complaint is that it's a fingerprint magnet. The fingerprint scanner placement isn't that big of a deal to me, as I use irises 95% of the time (they work pretty well btw). One common complaint is the bixby button. Within the first 10 mins I remapped it to Google assistant, and it's actually really handy. 

1 minute ago, Enderman said:

How many meters can i drop it from onto concrete before it breaks?

Not gonna test that one, sorry 

32 minutes ago, TechyAlex said:

Which benchmarks do you want?

- green bench  

- antutu 

How does the screen home button feel? Gimicky or responsive?

• CPU = i7 5930k
  • Cooler = Corsair H100i
  • RAM = Dominator Platinum 32GB DDR4-2666
  • Storage = Samsung 850 Pro 1TB
  • GPU = EVGA GTX 1080ti FTW3
  • PSU = Corsair 750D
  • PSU = Corsair 1000W
  • Monitor = Asus PG278Q

1 hour ago, TechyAlex said:

Not gonna test that one, sorry 

How about, how many minutes does it survive in a pot of boiling water?

NEW PC build: Blank Heaven   minimalist white and black PC     Old S340 build log "White Heaven"        The "LIGHTCANON" flashlight build log        Project AntiRoll (prototype)        Custom speaker project

Spoiler

Ryzen 3950X | AMD Vega Frontier Edition | ASUS X570 Pro WS | Corsair Vengeance LPX 64GB | NZXT H500 | Seasonic Prime Fanless TX-700 | Custom loop | Coolermaster SK630 White | Logitech MX Master 2S | Samsung 980 Pro 1TB + 970 Pro 512GB | Samsung 58" 4k TV | Scarlett 2i4 | 2x AT2020

2 hours ago, Enderman said:

How about, how many minutes does it survive in a pot of boiling coke?

Ftfy

-

how loud does the headphone out get?

how loud are the speakers and earpiece?

how do the speakers sound? (Tinny, bass heavy, average, etc)

how hot does it get in normal usage? (Web browsing, YouTube, wechat, discord)

how many hours of Spotify playback? (Streaming, not offline)

how fast is the tethering speed? (Let's say you get 20mb over LTE, how fast does tethering it to another device and then running speedtest get?)

how is the palm rejection on the screen? (Bezel less for me means that my fingers will rest on the screen when holding it)

how is the flash?

how is the vibration motor? Compatible to Taptic Engine? (iPhone 6s/7)

and how ~~floofy~~ fluffy is your cat?

Ryzen 5 3600 stock | 2x16GB C13 3200MHz (AFR) | GTX 760 (Sold the VII)| ASUS Prime X570-P | 6TB WD Gold (128MB Cache, 2017)

Samsung 850 EVO 240 GB 

138 is a good number.

8 hours ago, JerrBear said:

How does the screen home button feel? Gimicky or responsive?

Honestly, while I thought it would be gimicky, it's actually pretty nice to have. Especially while watching YouTube, I can press the screen without swiping to access the on screen buttons. 

5 hours ago, themctipers said:

Ftfy

-

how loud does the headphone out get?

how loud are the speakers and earpiece?

how do the speakers sound? (Tinny, bass heavy, average, etc)

how hot does it get in normal usage? (Web browsing, YouTube, wechat, discord)

how many hours of Spotify playback? (Streaming, not offline)

how fast is the tethering speed? (Let's say you get 20mb over LTE, how fast does tethering it to another device and then running speedtest get?)

how is the palm rejection on the screen? (Bezel less for me means that my fingers will rest on the screen when holding it)

how is the flash?

how is the vibration motor? Compatible to Taptic Engine? (iPhone 6s/7)

and how ~~floofy~~ fluffy is your cat?

Holy hell that's more than I expected....

1. I use Bluetooth headphones, so I have no clue

2. Honestly, while the S7 had a terrible speaker, this one's pretty good comparably. Obviously something like an external speaker would be better, but it felt loud enough on it's own for a room with a few people talking. 

3. I haven't felt any abnormal temperatures, except during and right after fast charging, which is to be expected. 

4. I'm assuming you mean as far as battery life, and tbh I have no idea because the first thing I did was download all my playlists. 

5. My carrier doesn't allow hotspot, so I can't help you there, sorry!

6. Honestly, palm rejection could use some work. 75% of the time it works awesome, but the other 25% is weird flukes. 

7. Flash is pretty bright.... IDK how to answer that I'm sorry 

8. I don't know how to answer that, sorry. Don't really have a metric. It feels satisfying?

9. Very. 

9 hours ago, nerdslayer1 said:

- green bench  

- antutu 

Antutu: 158537

Antutu CPU: 36477

GPU: 63138

UX: 49589

RAM: 9333

And IDK what green bench is

13 minutes ago, TechyAlex said:

Antutu: 158537

Antutu CPU: 36477

GPU: 63138

UX: 49589

RAM: 9333

And IDK what green bench is

Geekbench

1 hour ago, TechyAlex said:

Honestly, while I thought it would be gimicky, it's actually pretty nice to have. Especially while watching YouTube, I can press the screen without swiping to access the on screen buttons. 

Holy hell that's more than I expected....

1. I use Bluetooth headphones, so I have no clue

2. Honestly, while the S7 had a terrible speaker, this one's pretty good comparably. Obviously something like an external speaker would be better, but it felt loud enough on it's own for a room with a few people talking. 

3. I haven't felt any abnormal temperatures, except during and right after fast charging, which is to be expected. 

4. I'm assuming you mean as far as battery life, and tbh I have no idea because the first thing I did was download all my playlists. 

5. My carrier doesn't allow hotspot, so I can't help you there, sorry!

6. Honestly, palm rejection could use some work. 75% of the time it works awesome, but the other 25% is weird flukes. 

7. Flash is pretty bright.... IDK how to answer that I'm sorry 

8. I don't know how to answer that, sorry. Don't really have a metric. It feels satisfying?

9. Very. 

Haha I was just thinking about the stuff I do on a monthly basis on my 6s+

not that I'm upgrading. I'm team Apple.. Because long software support, better battery life (think 2015, crapdragon 810), LTE-A and jailbreak. Mostly jailbreak pushed it for me though. XDA developers *gets scared*

Ryzen 5 3600 stock | 2x16GB C13 3200MHz (AFR) | GTX 760 (Sold the VII)| ASUS Prime X570-P | 6TB WD Gold (128MB Cache, 2017)

Samsung 850 EVO 240 GB 

138 is a good number.

59 minutes ago, themctipers said:

Haha I was just thinking about the stuff I do on a monthly basis on my 6s+

not that I'm upgrading. I'm team Apple.. Because long software support, better battery life (think 2015, crapdragon 810), LTE-A and jailbreak. Mostly jailbreak pushed it for me though. XDA developers *gets scared*

Honestly, even if it has bad battery life, I am fast charging right now because I forgot to charge last night. 

Not trying to convince you, I admit there is upsides to Apple Ecosystem. I would kill to get iMessage on my phone. 

Edit: I should clarify that the s8 has okay battery life. I was referring to android as a whole, which in general is pretty bad because of lack of software optimizations.

Edited by TechyAlex
Clarity

1 hour ago, nerdslayer1 said:

Geekbench

Okay, I am at school right now, I'll get back to you maybe on my lunch if I remember, if not after school for sure. 

On 5/14/2017 at 11:11 PM, Cela1 said:

Does it ACTUALLY charge in the microwave?

Yes, I confirmed this. Please use this as it's a real time saver. I really hope it isn't needed, but /s

Get back to us once youve dropped it on a hard surface. 

The achilles heel of the S8(aside from battery life) will be its fragility. A year from now there are going to be lots of unhappy owners with nasty looking spiderwebs on both the front and back of their phones. 

CPU: Ryzen 7 3700x,  MOBO: ASUS TUF X570 Gaming Pro wifi, CPU cooler: Noctua U12a RAM: Gskill Ripjaws V @3600mhz,  GPU: Asus Tuf RTX OC 3080 PSU: Seasonic Focus GX850 CASE: Lian Li Lancool 2 Mesh Storage: 500 GB Inland Premium M.2,  Sandisk Ultra Plus II 256 GB & 120 GB

3 hours ago, maizenblue said:

Get back to us once youve dropped it on a hard surface. 

The achilles heel of the S8(aside from battery life) will be its fragility. A year from now there are going to be lots of unhappy owners with nasty looking spiderwebs on both the front and back of their phones. 

I will (knock on wood) never be one of those people. I am using a rhinoshield, and it protects from drops up to 11 feet. $25.