Thanks for wasting my money ASROCK.

iUzcsNM.png

@nicklmg halp meh :'(

I just spent over AUD $800 of my hard earned money on a new system (CPU, motherboard, RAM, bios upgrade fee, thermal compound) based on the advice ASROCK provided me, saying that overclocking was possible and it clearly is not. 

Now i'm left with a 3.9ghz all core turbo cpu.... and no more money for upgrades.

What the heck am I meant to do now? I can't just return it, nothings faulty, this upgrade was meant to last me a while and its almost obsolete already.

BLCK = +100mhz if you're lucky

>105mhz BLCK with my experience has been unstable as shit.

3.9ghz is still good..

asrock is scummy for this, yes.. but.. if it doesn't post with BLCK overclock that means its unstable.. not that it doesn't support it.

Ryzen 5 3600 stock | 2x16GB C13 3200MHz (AFR) | GTX 760 (Sold the VII)| ASUS Prime X570-P | 6TB WD Gold (128MB Cache, 2017)

Samsung 850 EVO 240 GB 

138 is a good number.

He actually said you can't overclock Kaby Lake in the last box you circled. 

If you are going to use a KL CPU on this model, please configure your system with BIOS P7.20 and DEFAULT BCLK setting.

Yes, I understand you were asking about the v6 from the beginning, but support is notorious for not looking at the thread title and not necessarily answering clearly. But he did say you can't overclock KL.

Either way, BCLK overclocking wouldn't get you anywhere meaningful anyway.

PSU Tier List | CoC

Gaming Build | FreeNAS Server

Spoiler

i5-4690k || Seidon 240m || GTX780 ACX || MSI Z97s SLI Plus || 8GB 2400mhz || 250GB 840 Evo || 1TB WD Blue || H440 (Black/Blue) || Windows 10 Pro || Dell P2414H & BenQ XL2411Z || Ducky Shine Mini || Logitech G502 Proteus Core

Spoiler

FreeNAS 9.3 - Stable || Xeon E3 1230v2 || Supermicro X9SCM-F || 32GB Crucial ECC DDR3 || 3x4TB WD Red (JBOD) || SYBA SI-PEX40064 sata controller || Corsair CX500m || NZXT Source 210.

3 minutes ago, djdwosk97 said:

That Xeon is technically Kaby Lake.

Main rig on profile

VAULT - File Server

Spoiler

Intel Core i5 11400 w/ Shadow Rock LP, 2x16GB SP GAMING 3200MHz CL16, ASUS PRIME Z590-A, 2x LSI 9211-8i, Fractal Define 7, 256GB Team MP33, 3x 6TB WD Red Pro (general storage), 3x 1TB Seagate Barracuda (dumping ground), 3x 8TB WD White-Label (Plex) (all 3 arrays in their respective Windows Parity storage spaces), Corsair RM750x, Windows 11 Education

Sleeper HP Pavilion A6137C

Spoiler

Intel Core i7 6700K @ 4.4GHz, 4x8GB G.SKILL Ares 1800MHz CL10, ASUS Z170M-E D3, 128GB Team MP33, 1TB Seagate Barracuda, 320GB Samsung Spinpoint (for video capture), MSI GTX 970 100ME, EVGA 650G1, Windows 10 Pro

Mac Mini (Late 2020)

Spoiler

Apple M1, 8GB RAM, 256GB, macOS Sonoma

Consoles: Softmodded 1.4 Xbox w/ 500GB HDD, Xbox 360 Elite 120GB Falcon, XB1X w/2TB MX500, Xbox Series X, PS1 1001, PS2 Slim 70000 w/ FreeMcBoot, PS4 Pro 7015B 1TB (retired), PS5 Digital, Nintendo Switch OLED, Nintendo Wii RVL-001 (black)

2 minutes ago, themctipers said:

asrock is scummy for this, yes.. but.. if it doesn't post with BLCK overclock that means its unstable.. not that it doesn't support it.

No, they flat out lied, the microcode for the kaby lake CPU prevents it, it works perfectly fine on skylake cpus.

3 minutes ago, djdwosk97 said:

Either way, BCLK overclocking wouldn't get you anywhere meaningful anyway.

The last box is AFTER I bought the system.

BCLK overclocking can get you really far actually, when its not disabled by intel.

1 minute ago, TrigrH said:

No, they flat out lied, the microcode for the kaby lake CPU prevents it, it works perfectly fine on skylake cpus.

The last box is AFTER I bought the system.

BCLK overclocking can get you really far actually, when its not disabled by intel.

.. it won't.

it only will if it was done pre multiplier era (2011+)

Ryzen 5 3600 stock | 2x16GB C13 3200MHz (AFR) | GTX 760 (Sold the VII)| ASUS Prime X570-P | 6TB WD Gold (128MB Cache, 2017)

Samsung 850 EVO 240 GB 

138 is a good number.

Just now, TrigrH said:

i've personally overclocked an i5 6400 from 2.7 ghz to 4.5ghz on a friends system without issue.

magic

for me i cant blck over 5 on my 3770k (tell me to use multiplier now, i was having fun.)

Samsung 850 EVO 240 GB 

138 is a good number.

Just now, themctipers said:

magic

for me i cant blck over 5 on my 3770k (tell me to use multiplier now, i was having fun.)

thats because the ivy and haswell systems have PCIE and other things tied to BLCK, its not the case in kaby and skylake.

3 minutes ago, TrigrH said:

thats because the ivy and haswell systems have PCIE and other things tied to BLCK, its not the case in kaby and skylake.

i thought it was still tied to BLCK for skylake/kaby

weird.

Samsung 850 EVO 240 GB 

138 is a good number.

Just now, themctipers said:

i thought it was still tied to BLCK for skylake/kaby

weird.

great now my thread is full of post with people who don't know what they are talking about.

BCLK overclocking isn’t new, but in the past we were limited to increasing this by a maximum of 5%, as it was linked to the DMI and PCIe buses. Pushing the BCLK too high meant that both the DMI and PCIe buses were running way out of spec, causing the system to crash.

However, with Skylake Intel introduced individual reference clocks for these various buses, meaning it’s possible to increase the BCLK without pushing the other buses beyond their limits. This ability to increase the BCLK so greatly wasn’t included with the original range of Z170 boards, but Supermicro’s release of a hacked BIOS suddenly made it possible to push it by up to a whopping 70%.

8 minutes ago, TrigrH said:

great now my thread is full of post with people who don't know what they are talking about.

Says the person who wasn't smart enough to actually do research before spending all their money. 

And no, asking support a question (and not even getting a clear answer) doesn't count. I guarantee he thought you were talking about a v5 Xeon.

PSU Tier List | CoC

Spoiler

i5-4690k || Seidon 240m || GTX780 ACX || MSI Z97s SLI Plus || 8GB 2400mhz || 250GB 840 Evo || 1TB WD Blue || H440 (Black/Blue) || Windows 10 Pro || Dell P2414H & BenQ XL2411Z || Ducky Shine Mini || Logitech G502 Proteus Core

Spoiler

FreeNAS 9.3 - Stable || Xeon E3 1230v2 || Supermicro X9SCM-F || 32GB Crucial ECC DDR3 || 3x4TB WD Red (JBOD) || SYBA SI-PEX40064 sata controller || Corsair CX500m || NZXT Source 210.

You wasted your money.  It's not their fault that you didn't understand what you were buying.  He said:

1. That you could adjust the BCLK
  2. That because every chip is different, they cannot guaranty OC capability with each CPU.

Both of these statements are true.

The fact that you think BCLK overclocking will do anything besides make your system unstable means you don't understand how overclocking works.

Make sure to quote or tag me (@JoostinOnline) or I won't see your response!

PSU Tier List  |  The Real Reason Delidding Improves Temperatures"2K" does not mean 2560×1440 

I was going to say that the third e-mail (or whatever) states that you won't be able to use Kaby Lake with any BCLK overclock. 

That said, Sky and Kaby don't need the BCLK for functions as Haswell and prior were reliant on the BCLK for performance of the board's other components.

Cor Caeruleus Reborn v6

Spoiler

CPU: Intel - Core i7-8700K

CPU Cooler: be quiet! - PURE ROCK 
Thermal Compound: Arctic Silver - 5 High-Density Polysynthetic Silver 3.5g Thermal Paste 
Motherboard: ASRock Z370 Extreme4
Memory: G.Skill TridentZ RGB 2x8GB 3200/14
Storage: Samsung - 850 EVO-Series 500GB 2.5" Solid State Drive 
Storage: Samsung - 960 EVO 500GB M.2-2280 Solid State Drive
Storage: Western Digital - Blue 2TB 3.5" 5400RPM Internal Hard Drive
Storage: Western Digital - BLACK SERIES 3TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive
Video Card: EVGA - 970 SSC ACX (1080 is in RMA)
Case: Fractal Design - Define R5 w/Window (Black) ATX Mid Tower Case
Power Supply: EVGA - SuperNOVA P2 750W with CableMod blue/black Pro Series
Optical Drive: LG - WH16NS40 Blu-Ray/DVD/CD Writer 
Operating System: Microsoft - Windows 10 Pro OEM 64-bit and Linux Mint Serena
Keyboard: Logitech - G910 Orion Spectrum RGB Wired Gaming Keyboard
Mouse: Logitech - G502 Wired Optical Mouse
Headphones: Logitech - G430 7.1 Channel  Headset
Speakers: Logitech - Z506 155W 5.1ch Speakers

1 minute ago, JoostinOnline said:

You wasted your money.  It's not their fault that you didn't understand what you were buying.  He said:

1. That you could adjust the BCLK
  2. That because every chip is different, they cannot guaranty OC capability with each CPU.

Both of these statements are true.

The fact that you think BCLK overclocking will do anything besides make your system unstable means you don't understand how overclocking works.

statement two is referring to the second part of my question, the microcode is blocking overclocking, its not a stability issue.

YOU don't understand how it works.

Just now, djdwosk97 said:

Says the person who wasn't smart enough to actually do research before spending all their money. 

Because asking the manufacturer, isn't doing research....

They literally tested my the same CPU on that bios for me then fed me a lie about BCLK.

CJx3xb3.jpg

2 minutes ago, ARikozuM said:

I was going to say that the third e-mail (or whatever) states that you won't be able to use Kaby Lake with any BCLK overclock. 

The second email (first response) says that they can't guaranty it will work.  The OP is just too stubborn to accept that he made a mistake.  Even now when people are trying to explain it, he's just insulting people and saying they don't understand. xD

statement two is referring to the second part of my question, the microcode is blocking overclocking, its not a stability issue.

YOU don't understand how it works.

I was referring to this:

22 minutes ago, TrigrH said:

PSU Tier List  |  The Real Reason Delidding Improves Temperatures"2K" does not mean 2560×1440 

2 minutes ago, TrigrH said:

It's not considering the average support agent is barely qualified to spell his/her own name. 

2 minutes ago, TrigrH said:

They literally tested my the same CPU on that bios for me then fed me a lie about BCLK.

CJx3xb3.jpg

They who? When did they test it? How did they test it (that screenshot shows it running at stock)?

PSU Tier List | CoC

Spoiler

Spoiler

4 minutes ago, TrigrH said:

Since you obviously continue to miss this part:

OC.jpg.5f590e3f1a4e517d54f49bb97bda8366.jpg

2 minutes ago, JoostinOnline said:

Since you obviously continue to miss this part:

OC.jpg.5f590e3f1a4e517d54f49bb97bda8366.jpg

sigh clearly i need to explain it a little more clearly to you:

I ASKED:

1. So with a Xeon E3-1240 V6 CPU and BIOS P7.20, BLCK overclocking is enabled correct?

2. any idea what kind of clock speeds are achievable on a xeon processor like this? (there is no information online sadly)

THEY REPLIED:

1. Exactly, this model is featuring the HYPER BCLK Engine, this IC allow user to overclock their Xeon CPU by adjust BCLK.

2. As the margin of each CPU is different, please understand that we cannot guarantee the OC ability for each CPU.

They made a mistake.

Edit just to clarify further when they are saying OC ability they do not mean YES or NO since all CPUs can be adjusted via BCLK they are talking about how FAR.

sigh clearly i need to explain it a little more clearly to you:

I ASKED:

1. So with a Xeon E3-1240 V6 CPU and BIOS P7.20, BLCK overclocking is enabled correct?

2. any idea what kind of clock speeds are achievable on a xeon processor like this? (there is no information online sadly)

THEY REPLIED:

1. Exactly, this model is featuring the HYPER BCLK Engine, this IC allow user to overclock their Xeon CPU by adjust BCLK.

2. As the margin of each CPU is different, please understand that we cannot guarantee the OC ability for each CPU.

1. He's just saying the motherboard is capable of BCLK overclocking in general -- i.e. it has the BCLK overclocking feature enabled. 

2. 100% guarantee he's talking about a v5 because he's an idiot, like 99% of support.

4 minutes ago, TrigrH said:

That was provided for asrock earlier in the email conversation.

And a picture of the board running a v6 cpu at stock proves it can be overclocked? 

PSU Tier List | CoC

Spoiler

Spoiler

1 minute ago, djdwosk97 said:

1. He's just saying the motherboard is capable of BCLK overclocking in general -- i.e. it has the BCLK overclocking feature enabled. 

2. 100% guarantee he's talking about a v5 because he's an idiot, like 99% of support.

Regardless, support was misinformed and provided me with misleading/false information. 

Regardless, support was misinformed and provided me with misleading/false information. 

Welcome to virtually all interactions with any customer support agent. An intelligent person doesn't get hired for customer support.

PSU Tier List | CoC

Spoiler

Spoiler

Yeah that sucks, but really, what can you do about it? This post just gave you more stress,I think.

And your system is not "obsolete", actually 3.9GHz is pretty good. Its not like you would get a Monster OC anyway, ofc it would make a diference, but its not that life changing really.

Ultra is stupid. ALWAYS.