The Fitness Thread

Didn't see a fitness thread, it's time one was started.

ITT we discuss:

- PB/PRs

- Fitness goals

- Personal stats

- Stories

- Advice

- Favourite fitness content

- Motivation

Just to start discussion, I'm gonna post my current stats which come from four months of consistent weight training at least five days a week. I previously weighed 12st 3lbs and was mostly fat.

Best deadlift - 160kg

Best bench - haven't tested yet, trying barbell free chest training for two more weeks before I try barbell bench again

Best squat - 110kg

Bodyweight right now - 10st 13lbs

Age/Height - 18/5'7"

What my body looks like now - quite muscular, not much definition but hoping to fix that through cutting, still a little bit tubby but much leaner than ever before. Two-pack abs slightly visible.

Goals - get six-pack abs, have more muscle definition because I feel as if I am pretty strong considering where I am, but I wish I was more aesthetic.

Have fun guys, keep it civil.

The Dude's PC Build<p>i5 4690k @ 3.5ghz w/ The Crappy Intel Stock Cooler | Asus Z97-K | 8GB Corsair Vengance LP DDR3 RAM @ 1600mhz |1TB Seagate Barracuda + 120GB Samsung Evo SSD | Gigabyte Windforce R9 290 4GB | 650 Watt CoolerMaster Gaming Series PSU | Bitfenix Shinobi Windowed | BenQ GL2460 | Corsair Vengeance K70 Cherry MX Brown | Razer Naga Hex Wraith Red gaming mouse | A £0.63 mouse pad from artcow.com

Better off good going to the body builder forum for this kind of thing but the people there are a bit too smug for my taste.

CPU: 6700K Case: Corsair Air 740 CPU Cooler: H110i GTX Storage: 2x250gb SSD 960gb SSD PSU: Corsair 1200watt GPU: EVGA 1080ti FTW3 RAM: 16gb DDR4 

Other Stuffs: Red sleeved cables, White LED lighting 2 noctua fans on cpu cooler and Be Quiet PWM fans on case.

Just now, MadyTehWolfie said:

Better off good going to the body builder forum for this kind of thing but the people there are a bit too smug for my taste.

Eh? Bodybuilder forums, or at least the most popular ones, are full of shitposts and misinformation. They're the only forums where people unironically follow pseudo-science like Somatotypes. Also, for people who want to be able to discuss fitness topics in the same place as they would PC hardware and gaming, this thread is perfect.

The Dude's PC Build<p>i5 4690k @ 3.5ghz w/ The Crappy Intel Stock Cooler | Asus Z97-K | 8GB Corsair Vengance LP DDR3 RAM @ 1600mhz |1TB Seagate Barracuda + 120GB Samsung Evo SSD | Gigabyte Windforce R9 290 4GB | 650 Watt CoolerMaster Gaming Series PSU | Bitfenix Shinobi Windowed | BenQ GL2460 | Corsair Vengeance K70 Cherry MX Brown | Razer Naga Hex Wraith Red gaming mouse | A £0.63 mouse pad from artcow.com

What really motivates you guys? 

I'll go at it for two weeks then lose the motivation so quickly I forgot I even started to train...

Just following the stats:

Best Deadlift - 100KG

Best Bench - N/A

Best Squat - 80kg

Bodyweight - 153 LBS

Age/Height - 20/5'11"

What my body looks like now - Somewhat fit with a hint of abs, never really did much weight training.

Goals - Be fit enough to run a 10k without feeling to die.

CPU: Intel Core i7 4790K @ 4.8GHZGPU: MSI GeForce GTX 1070 Gaming X (X2 - SLI)RAM: 24GB | Storage: 128GB 960 PRO M.2 SSD, 1TB & 750GB HDD | Operating System: Windows 10, MacOS High Sierra

5 hours ago, Brandon Cassie said:

I'll go at it for two weeks then lose the motivation so quickly I forgot I even started to train...

Just following the stats:

Best Deadlift - 100KG

Best Bench - N/A

Best Squat - 80kg

Bodyweight - 153 LBS

Age/Height - 20/5'11"

What my body looks like now - Somewhat fit with a hint of abs, never really did much weight training.

Goals - Be fit enough to run a 10k without feeling to die.

The key to being able to naturally motivate yourself is by being able to convince yourself that working out is fun by making it fun. You can also get yourself a gym partner for your early days just to make sure you go. Make sure you watch some fitness YouTubers too, because their content tends to motivate me a lot to want to work out.

I'm into crossfit and HIIT lately plus Avocados every morning 

There is more that meets the eye
I see the soul that is inside

I've been lifting consistently since I was 15, am 27 now. 

Don't really care about max rep, have always had good aesthetic results with 4x10. 

Desktop: 7800x3d @ stock, 64gb ddr4 @ 6000, 3080Ti, x670 Asus Strix

Laptop: Dell G3 15 - i7-8750h @ stock, 16gb ddr4 @ 2666, 1050Ti 

32 minutes ago, Raskolnikov said:

I've been lifting consistently since I was 15, am 27 now. 

Don't really care about max rep, have always had good aesthetic results with 4x10. 

What kind of shape were you in before you started lifting?

35 minutes ago, hey_yo_ said:

I'm into crossfit and HIIT lately plus Avocados every morning 

- insert elginensity video here -

I'm used to be a person who loath every sorts of exercise. ( except for group activities like playing basketball etc )

After a 4 year hiatus I had because of sickness, now I genuinely enjoy exercising. Doesn't really matter whether it is outdoor / inside the gym. 

I get this fresh feeling after a 30 minutes workout. 

Jogging is my favourite exercise, you just put on your ear piece and keep running at a same pace until you are tired. Your mind is totally relaxed. And you got the enjoy the scenery along the road.

However I did developed a runners knee... that sucks a lot. I am still, recovering from it. I weight 95kg, 6 feet tall. I guess it is my weight that caused me this issue. 

Although doctor said that tall people are likely to have runner's knee. 

I just learned swimming last winter, and I am still pretty terrible at it. But I won't drawn for sure... 

I think when it comes to exercise consistency is the key. Not how much you push yourself in day 1 or day 2. 

And you gotta enjoy it, let it brings you joy. Then you will have a healthy body and a healthy mind. 

Of course if I can lose some weight and have a better body image it would be cool. And I did see some result, but body building isnt the reason I exercise. 

I couldn't care less about that. 

If it is not broken, let's fix till it is. 

35 minutes ago, mrchow19910319 said:

I'm used to be a person who loath every sorts of exercise. ( except for group activities like playing basketball etc )

After a 4 year hiatus I had because of sickness, now I genuinely enjoy exercising. Doesn't really matter whether it is outdoor / inside the gym. 

I get this fresh feeling after a 30 minutes workout. 

Jogging is my favourite exercise, you just put on your ear piece and keep running at a same pace until you are tired. Your mind is totally relaxed. And you got the enjoy the scenery along the road.

However I did developed a runners knee... that sucks a lot. I am still, recovering from it. I weight 95kg, 6 feet tall. I guess it is my weight that caused me this issue. 

Although doctor said that tall people are likely to have runner's knee. 

I just learned swimming last winter, and I am still pretty terrible at it. But I won't drawn for sure... 

I think when it comes to exercise consistency is the key. Not how much you push yourself in day 1 or day 2. 

And you gotta enjoy it, let it brings you joy. Then you will have a healthy body and a healthy mind. 

Of course if I can lose some weight and have a better body image it would be cool. And I did see some result, but body building isnt the reason I exercise. 

I couldn't care less about that. 

http://liamrosen.com/fitness.html#

Glad to hear you're making progress. Read that guide above my comment because if you're looking to shed or gain weight then that guide is perfect. It has everything you need to know. 

1 hour ago, Dude said:

http://liamrosen.com/fitness.html#

Glad to hear you're making progress. Read that guide above my comment because if you're looking to shed or gain weight then that guide is perfect. It has everything you need to know. 

Thanks! Will take a look at it! 

If it is not broken, let's fix till it is. 

Started deadlifting today and my shins are pretty bruised. Is getting football (soccer) socks a good idea? Or should I just go spartan mode and hope for them to "adapt"? :D

From salty to bath salty in 2.9 seconds

On 2017-5-8 at 0:19 AM, MadyTehWolfie said:

lmao https://forum.bodybuilding.com/ is one of the most toxic communities around 

If you have a thick skin and honestly don't give a fuck, you'll fit right in; otherwise you're just going to want to sit in a corner and stuff your face with cream cakes. 

Not to mention that a lot of the information that gets squirted around on there is shit they've got from other gym buddies, marketing on supplements or YouTubers, that is just utter tosh. Also stuff they say for shits and giggles just to troll

I only do Dumbbells. Have stuffed shoulders from boxing and pins in legs so somewhat limited in what I can do. I get progress by modifying bill Starr's 5x5 workout. Every few weeks I change it but it's typically alternating days of heavy-light-heavy going for 6-12 reps x 5 depending on weight. Original 5x5 does heavy-light-medium on mon wed Friday in combination with sport every day but that doesn't really work for me, I think it's because I'm not playing the same sport on the same days as intended. I like to work out for three days of heavy-medium-heavy then Two days of boxing and just physio then two days rest and I'm back onto pushing for a heavier weight.

you want a six pack eat nothing but spinach and chicken. You got to starve for it because that last bit of fat on the bottom of stomach is really hard. I call it the front bum, once you have it, very hard to loose it.

☼

ψ ︿_____︿_ψ_   

On 5/7/2017 at 6:55 PM, Dude said:

Didn't see a fitness thread, it's time one was started.

ITT we discuss:

- PB/PRs

- Fitness goals

- Personal stats

- Stories

- Advice

- Favourite fitness content

- Motivation

Just to start discussion, I'm gonna post my current stats which come from four months of consistent weight training at least five days a week. I previously weighed 12st 3lbs and was mostly fat.

Best deadlift - 160kg

Best bench - haven't tested yet, trying barbell free chest training for two more weeks before I try barbell bench again

Best squat - 110kg

Bodyweight right now - 10st 13lbs

Age/Height - 18/5'7"

What my body looks like now - quite muscular, not much definition but hoping to fix that through cutting, still a little bit tubby but much leaner than ever before. Two-pack abs slightly visible.

Goals - get six-pack abs, have more muscle definition because I feel as if I am pretty strong considering where I am, but I wish I was more aesthetic.

Have fun guys, keep it civil.

1.  Best Deadlift -- Large Pizza

2.  Best Bench -- 5 racks of ribs

3.  Best Squat -- Over the toilet after eating a whole pizza

4.  Bodyweight right now -- Fat

5.  Age/Height -- 32/6'1

6.  Motivation -- Hungry

7.  Goals -- Die of heart attack before age 70.

On 2017-5-11 at 5:24 PM, Pandalf said:

Started deadlifting today and my shins are pretty bruised. Is getting football (soccer) socks a good idea? Or should I just go spartan mode and hope for them to "adapt"? :D

Sorry for late replies. Socks aren't important for deadlifts, your football socks will be okay.

16 minutes ago, ONOTech said:

I like this idea.

I haven't been to the gym in three weeks because of finals & YouTube stuff & work. I'm looking to change that tomorrow. I haven't really set any goals for myself just yet, but I'm planning on doing all of that tonight.

Stats during my prime. I'm about 5'10.5":

Bench: 285 LBS (1RM)

Squat: 470 LBS (1RM)

Power Clean: 255 LBS (1RM)

Mile: 6 minutes, 23 seconds

100M Sprint: 11.3 Seconds

That was about a year ago where I played American football, ran track, and did Crossfit on the side. I weighed 192 LBS and had 10% body fat.

I'm currently 184, probably around 13% body fat, and have definitely lost some strength. I'm guessing my bench is somewhere in the 250s and my squat is around 440. College sucks the life out of ya.

Will update as time goes on

I need to try and fix up my macros while cutting because I've been getting leaner but a lot weaker. What kinda YouTube stuff do you do on the side which distracts you from your goals? I have a channel that I irregularly upload to, I put work into my content and I don't feel that's really that distracting.

20 minutes ago, ONOTech said:

An atypical tech channel. It's growing so I'm putting more time into it. Combined with school and work, it does take a toll.

I'm trying to set good habits now though so I don't skip workouts.

I just have certain splits and refuse to skip workouts no matter what. My channel is mainly concerned with movies and fitness. At a previous point in time, it might have been a more tech-oriented channel, but I don't feel like I have "the voice" for that. I'm combining these two with my sixth form work now and eventually, more work will flood in as I train to become a qualified personal trainer and do more web design work for a friend.

6 hours ago, ONOTech said:

Power to ya! It's definitely a rough road, but I think a PT has the most rewarding jobs ever. You help people live longer, healthier lives. What's better than that?

Not many come to mind, friendo, but it'll be amazing in the end.

Whats the best way to stick to a diet? Im decent on exercise have trouble sticking to a diet.

- snip-

1 hour ago, MrDynamicMan said:

Whats the best way to stick to a diet? Im decent on exercise have trouble sticking to a diet.

What kind of diet are you using? Are you tracking macros and calories on MyFitnessPal?

30 minutes ago, Dude said:

What kind of diet are you using? Are you tracking macros and calories on MyFitnessPal?

MyFitnessPal is a really nice tool.

1 hour ago, MrDynamicMan said:

Choose a diet that's maintainable for you. For example: If you hate broccoli, don't put it on your diet. Just replace it with something else. 

• 3 weeks later...
On 2017-6-4 at 4:22 AM, ONOTech said:

Just an update.

Still haven't done much, but I'm starting to run everyday. About a mile and a half every morning + abs every other day.

Going to sign up for a gym membership tomorrow morning and begin a real training regimen

Download Athlean-X's "six pack promise" app, it actually works. What you should do is run back home from the gym and focus on compound movements at the gym. Use a 5x5 program which focuses on the five main compound lifts; bench press, squat, deadlift, overhead press and barbell row. Do this and keep adding small amounts of weight each week. This way, you'll have a more balanced physique and will develop a good amount of strength. After a few months, start adding isolation movements to help your compound lifts go up and to help you get swole like never before. Good luck, friendo.

9 hours ago, ONOTech said:

I actually think I'm going to bulk first, despite it being cutting season.

i already have a nice base, but I want bigger arms and need my lifts to go up a bit more. My 1RM (lbs) goals are

Bench: 275, Current is 235

Bench: 485, Current is 425

Barbell DL: 400, Current is 350

I plan on doing so until school begins in late August and then cutting until Thanksgiving (end of November).

What are the benefits of 5X5? I was considering PPL since I have the ability to go to the gym 6 days a week instead of 4-5 like I usually did during the school year.

5x5 when going back to the gym or starting for the first time allows you to have a more balanced physique and to develop strength pretty quickly. As for bulking and cutting, don't do either. Just eat what you need to. Better to stay lean. All that usually happens is that people normally put on more body fat than muscle, end up hating their bod and then going on a cutting phase to try to reverse it. It'd be more worthwhile just to eat slightly (and I mean slightly) higher than your maintenance calories.

On 8.5.2017 at 2:20 AM, Brandon Cassie said:

Not wanting to go back to my fat-flabby form.

I haven't done max weight/1 rep for anything so far, so this is all regular sets of 8-12 reps.

Bench: 60 kg / ~ 130 lb

Squat: 90 kg / ~ 200 lb

Deadlift: 90 kg / ~ 200 lb

Max rep clean wide grip pull-ups: 8

Max rep clean chin-ups: ~ 13

Currently on bulk, am 73 kg / 160 lb heavy right now. 168 cm / 5 ft 6 tall.

So far all I managed to increase during my bulk are my reps, but no higher weights yet. Pull-ups are my main concern, I am not getting any better at them. Figure I try out this here to see if I can get better: http://www.mensfitness.com/training/pro-tips/get-better-at-pull-ups

5lb is something you can easily put in your pocket.

My current workout plan:

Monday: Push

Tuesday: Running

Wednesday: Pull

Thursday: Running

Friday: Legs

Saturday and Sunday off. I am not doing shit after leg-day.

I deal in shitposts and shitpost accessories.