Some Thoughts about the Steam Machine/OS

Now, first of all, I'm highly pumped to build a steam machine for my downstairs room where my xbox is, as now that I won't buy a new console, I'll just build a Steam Machine and buy a bunch of wired Xbox controllers or steam controllers to connect to it for games like FIFA, NFS and more controller/wheel based games.

Anyways, there are a few things I figured which make me wonder how valve will cope:

- Driver updates - they come out all the time, will they provide constant updates, beta or WHQL etc. The average user (assuming they buy one) won't really know how to do it themselves, however, this will probably all be handled by the OS

- Domination of KB/Mouse players vs. Controller players - I'm guessing quite a few people will use the steam controller. It's technically a PC platform, meaning versing PC players (which of course are better ;) - how will controller players cope? Perhaps the controller is that good

- Game Support - now I am aware of steaming, however, over here in Aus with my 0.3Mbps upload speed, I don't think I'll be streaming many games. That'll mean I'll be downloading many, which must have SteamOS/Linux support. I really hope EA with their games like FIFA, BF4, NFS etc as well as other companies truly add support for this and don't leave valve and many others in the dark. I seriously have big ideas for what I'll be doing downstairs in that study room, I full plan on an mITX machine, controllers connected, surround sound, racing wheels, the lot. 

This isn't a complaint at all, I'm just curious. I wonder if Valve will have SteamOS like an Xbox Dashboard or PSXMB where it's like its own kind of thing, it's hard to explain but hopefully you get what I mean. Like, will the base version of SteamOS let you use it as a normal computer, all these questions are just looming in my head and make me more eager to see the beast and build the beast.

Anyway guys, tell me what you think!

THE BEAST Motherboard: MSI B350 Tomahawk   CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 1700   GPU: Sapphire R9 290 Tri-X OC  RAM: 16GB G.Skill FlareX DDR4   

PSU: Corsair CX650M     Case: Corsair 200R    SSD: Kingston 240GB SSD Plus   HDD: 1TB WD Green Drive and Seagate Barracuda 2TB Media Drive

Your internet connection speed has no bearing whatsoever on your ability to stream games. The traffic is completely local from another PC in your home which can run the game (however you'll need a decent router). Imo a dedicated Steambox is pointless if you already have a capable gaming PC; you'd be better off building something with no gaming ability of its own and simply always streaming from the more powerful machine. It'd be cheaper and produce the same effect, plus you'd never have to worry about compatibility because everything runs on Windows.

Your internet connection speed has no bearing whatsoever on your ability to stream games. The traffic is completely local from another PC in your home which can run the game (however you'll need a decent router). Imo a dedicated Steambox is pointless if you already have a capable gaming PC; you'd be better off building something with no gaming ability of its own and simply always streaming from the more powerful machine. It'd be cheaper and produce the same effect, plus you'd never have to worry about compatibility because everything runs on Windows.

For some reason it never occurred to me that this was all over a local connection *facepalm*. Anyways, I have some Modem/Router combination peripheral from BigPond. I'm running my current PC off wireless and the machine downstairs, whatever or whenever it is built will be connected straight to the Modem/Router

THE BEAST Motherboard: MSI B350 Tomahawk   CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 1700   GPU: Sapphire R9 290 Tri-X OC  RAM: 16GB G.Skill FlareX DDR4   

PSU: Corsair CX650M     Case: Corsair 200R    SSD: Kingston 240GB SSD Plus   HDD: 1TB WD Green Drive and Seagate Barracuda 2TB Media Drive

For some reason it never occurred to me that this was all over a local connection *facepalm*. Anyways, I have some Modem/Router combination peripheral from BigPond. I'm running my current PC off wireless and the machine downstairs, whatever or whenever it is built will be connected straight to the Modem/Router

Both the machines will need to be connected via ethernet or at least a 5GHz wireless connection to the router I would think. If not the experience is going to be a bit lacklustre if the Nvidia Shield is anything to go by.

Like I said, if you're going to be streaming anyway there's not really any need for the downstairs machine to have any substantial gaming power of its own as far as I can see it.

Both the machines will need to be connected via ethernet or at least a 5GHz wireless connection to the router I would think. If not the experience is going to be a bit lacklustre if the Nvidia Shield is anything to go by.

Like I said, if you're going to be streaming anyway there's not really any need for the downstairs machine to have any substantial gaming power of its own as far as I can see it.

Yeah, I highly doubt what's downstairs will provide dual band 5GHz wireless connection to this comptuer. That's really the main reason I'm considering actually giving it some gaming power, because I most likely won't be streaming and would much rather just have the games on it, ready to play, no BS with slow streaming. But like I said before, that could bring up some other issues with games not natively being supported... ahhh I just want some more info on it all. 

Anyways, I'll see in the future whether I should invest in a dual band router for streaming, or just save the money and build the gaming capable Steambox, we'll see.

That kb/mouse vs controller is a very good point.

“Snorting instant coffee is the best,” said Kayla Johns, 19, of Portland.

I can't wait to build one too! I don't think BF4 will be supported, because of the fact BF4 uses origin and battlelog. UNLESS EA is cool enough to make a version of BF dedicated to SteamOS, BF:BC2 will be the latest we get with a steam box. And we all know how EA is.

A man of charm with strange quarks. 

I can't wait to build one too! I don't think BF4 will be supported, because of the fact BF4 uses origin and battlelog. UNLESS EA is cool enough to make a version of BF dedicated to SteamOS, BF:BC2 will be the latest we get with a steam box. And we all know how EA is.

EA+sucks.gifcough cough ;)

PROFILEYEAH

What do people even put in these things?

Yep, it's sad

but true...

That French guy who lives in the Netherlands and speaks German.

- Driver updates - they come out all the time, will they provide constant updates, beta or WHQL etc. The average user (assuming they buy one) won't really know how to do it themselves, however, this will probably all be handled by the OS

- Domination of KB/Mouse players vs. Controller players - I'm guessing quite a few people will use the steam controller. It's technically a PC platform, meaning versing PC players (which of course are better ;) - how will controller players cope? Perhaps the controller is that good

- Game Support - now I am aware of steaming, however, over here in Aus with my 0.3Mbps upload speed, I don't think I'll be streaming many games. That'll mean I'll be downloading many, which must have SteamOS/Linux support. I really hope EA with their games like FIFA, BF4, NFS etc as well as other companies truly add support for this and don't leave valve and many others in the dark. I seriously have big ideas for what I'll be doing downstairs in that study room, I full plan on an mITX machine, controllers connected, surround sound, racing wheels, the lot.

*Only problem linux has with drivers are WiFi, you need to buy a decent wifi card

*KB+M/Controllers you will find (in a fps) that the different users will use different weapons. High fire+Recoil makes it difficult on a controller but KB+M have its weaknesses too.

*If it kicks off EA with support Linux which will either mean dual booting and having 2 Linux OS. Or loading them up in steam OS

EDIT: TBH if I had to put money on creating the year of Linux I wouldn't put money on Valve, I hope they realise they have a LOT of people expecting/hoping/wishing them to deliver.

When valve did that whole count down thing i really thought that they were going to confirm HL3 but sadly they didn't so i hate them forever

Just gonna point out that just because a game is available on Steam does not mean it will be supported natively on SteamOS.

And the only reason (well for me) they're dealt with is BF.

When valve did that whole count down thing i really thought that they were going to confirm HL3 but sadly they didn't so i hate them forever

If this makes you feel better: http://store.stearnpowered.com/app/246720/

SPOILERALERTSPOILERALERTSPOILERALERTSPOILERALERTSPOILERALERTSPOILERALERTSPOILERALERTSPOILERALERTSPOILERALERT

its fake

And the only reason (well for me) they're dealt with is BF.

for me its Madden. I freaking hope they bring it back to PC!!

Delltopia

Case & Mobo: Stock Dell Optiplex 7010, CPU: i5 3470, RAM: 16gb 1333 DDR3 (1x8gb Corsair Vengence, 2x4gb Random), GPU: Diamond Radeon HD 7970,

PSU: EVGA GQ 650W, SSD: Kingston v300 128gb (OS), HDD: 700gb Seagate 7200rpm (Storage)

HOLY CRAP

is this for real?

I actually didn't realize it was fake until I looked closer at the fact it says "store.sreaRnpowered" The real app 246720 is Wayward Manor.

for me its Madden. I freaking hope they bring it back to PC!!

It'd be nice if it was on PC again but check this post and rethink that idea:

this almost answers every hope for any EA game.

crap the soon as i saw the link i clicked it with out looking at the rest 

I actually didn't realize it was fake until I looked closer at the fact it says "store.sreaRnpowered" The real app 246720 is Wayward Manor.

You poor souls, :'( lifting up your hopes then BAM! D: Sadness..

PROFILEYEAH

What do people even put in these things?

What I'd like to see more is split-screen / multiple controller support, if it's gonna be used as a pc in a console place, it should have these things.

i5 4670k - MSI GTX 770 gaming - Fractal design define R4 (windowed) - MSI Z87-G45 gaming - be quiet! Dark Rock Pro 2 - Corsair vengeance 8 gb (lp) - WB black 1tb - 256GB SSD - Corsair TX 750M - Ducky Shine 3