r9 290 to r9 290x

James_AJ

if this is true the R9 290 is official INSANE value xD

Console optimisations and how they will effect you | The difference between AMD cores and Intel cores | Memory Bus size and how it effects your VRAM usage |
How much vram do you actually need? | APUs and the future of processing | Projects: SO - here

Intel i7 5820l @ with Corsair H110 | 32GB DDR4 RAM @ 1600Mhz | XFX Radeon R9 290 @ 1.2Ghz | Corsair 600Q | Corsair TX650 | Probably too much corsair but meh should have had a Corsair SSD and RAM | 1.3TB HDD Space | Sennheiser HD598 | Beyerdynamic Custom One Pro | Blue Snowball

I don't trust that site too much, but if it is true, that's great.

you should. Almost every single one of the "rumors" about 290X & 780 Ti they speculated on (based on sources) were right.

Powercolor 9800SE anyone?

Processor: Intel core i7 930 @3.6  Mobo: Asus P6TSE  GPU: EVGA GTX 680 SC  RAM:12 GB G-skill Ripjaws 2133@1333  SSD: Intel 335 240gb  HDD: Seagate 500gb

Monitors: 2x Samsung 245B  Keyboard: Blackwidow Ultimate   Mouse: Zowie EC1 Evo   Mousepad: Goliathus Alpha  Headphones: MMX300  Case: Antec DF-85

I don't trust that site too much, but if it is true, that's great.

I've followed that site for a while now... and it is on point pretty much every time.

Powercolor 9800SE anyone?

AWWWWWW YEAAAA

My Build Log on PCPartPicker FX-6300, ASUS M5A78L-M/USB3, MSI 7870 GHz Edition, Corsair Vengeance LP 1x8GB, 1TB WD Blue, Fractal Core 1000 USB 3.0, Corsair CX600, and my most recent addition that I've had forever and isnt new is a 80GB WD800 for Linux, Lenovo ThinkPad X131e, ASUS Transformer TF300T, Galaxy Note 3 Sister dropped it in a puddle I now have to use a Samsung Brightside, Beyerdynamic DT990 Pro 250ohm version, Blue Yeti  #TheRealKEH-JEFF | "Sometimes, if were lucky, in Australia, a family has 2 kangaroos to pick up the kids with" - marto | Your entry here | Remember kids; just because Linus has a video on it, doesn't mean that its the best choice | ts3.wferr.com the best TeamSpeak Abide by the CoC | Looking for build help? Read this before posting |

I've followed that site for a while now... and it is on point pretty much every time.

exactly.

Take it with a grain of salt.

http://videocardz.com/47971/powercolor-radeon-r9-290-unlocked-r9-290x

Supposedly it unlocks the full 2816 stream processors by a simply replacing a GPU BIOS

That's all I can say. This is not too surprising though.

Would be great if AMD started to sell R9 290x at the price of the 290 and drop the 290

Back from the dead....

i was expecting this both card where almost the same thing both on paper and physically

this is one of the greatest thing that has happened to me recently, and it happened on this forum, those involved have my eternal gratitude http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/198850-update-alex-got-his-moto-g2-lets-get-a-moto-g-for-alexgoeshigh-unofficial/ :')

i use to have the second best link in the world here, but it died ;_; its a 404 now but it will always be here

This is perfectly possible. It would be cheaper to just produce 1 card, turn it down a little and sell it as a second card.

I remember AMD doing that back with the HD6000 series as well.
http://www.legitreviews.com/unlocking-the-amd-radeon-hd-6950-to-6970-bios-flash-mod-guide_1608

I also remember they used to do that to some CPU's as well back in the day, don't really hear it that often anymore thought, but back then when you bought an AMD dual core it could be a triple core with one core locked. Some even had quad cores with 2 cores locked (most likely because it wasn't running good enough for a quad core and they just played it safe and sold it for a dual core).

OT, can't really say I'm surprised, they are both so alike.

(\__/)

(='.'=)

(")_(") This is Bunny.

I highly doubt this is legit. Yeah, they once did just made one chip and toned it down for the Radeon 6900 series. I personally have an old 6950 unlocked to 6970 :D. But certainly AMD realizes they won't make the same mistake again of losing a greater profit on the actual card instead of just the manufacturing cost.

I highly doubt this is legit. Yeah, they once did just made one chip and toned it down for the Radeon 6900 series. I personally have an old 6950 unlocked to 6970 :D. But certainly AMD realizes they won't make the same mistake again of losing a greater profit on the actual card instead of just the manufacturing cost.

this just might be true. who knows?

i would bet my money it does as previous generation amd cards have had the same flaw.

its not like AMD wont be turning a profit , they most likeley could sell the 290x for the same price as the 290 and still make a profit, splitting 1 card into 2 nets even more profit 

Processor: Intel core i7 930 @3.6  Mobo: Asus P6TSE  GPU: EVGA GTX 680 SC  RAM:12 GB G-skill Ripjaws 2133@1333  SSD: Intel 335 240gb  HDD: Seagate 500gb

Monitors: 2x Samsung 245B  Keyboard: Blackwidow Ultimate   Mouse: Zowie EC1 Evo   Mousepad: Goliathus Alpha  Headphones: MMX300  Case: Antec DF-85

All the spelling errors in that article... Makes it hard to take it serious

I am good at computer

Spoiler

Motherboard: Gigabyte G1 sniper 3 | CPU: Intel 3770k @5.1Ghz | RAM: 32Gb G.Skill Ripjaws X @1600Mhz | Graphics card: EVGA 980 Ti SC | HDD: Seagate barracuda 3298534883327.74B + Samsung OEM 5400rpm drive + Seatgate barracude 2TB | PSU: Cougar CMX 1200w | CPU cooler: Custom loop

AWWWW YEAHHHHH

Never trust a hug. Its just a way to hide your face - The Doctor (Sounds something like the grumpy cat would say)

The 290 is missing 4 compute units from either 4 different shader engines versus the 290X or 2 missing compute units from 2 shader units. No BIOS update will get those compute units back. They are physically missing from the die. 

AMD FX-8350 @ 4.7Ghz when gaming | MSI 990FXA-GD80 v2 | Swiftech H220 | Sapphire Radeon HD 7950  +  XFX Radeon 7950 | 8 Gigs of Crucial Ballistix Tracers | 140 GB Raptor X | 1 TB WD Blue | 250 GB Samsung Pro SSD | 120 GB Samsung SSD | 750 Watt Antec HCG PSU | Corsair C70 Mil Green

The 290 is missing 4 compute units from either 4 different shader engines versus the 290X or 2 missing compute units from 2 shader units. No BIOS update will get those compute units back. They are physically missing from the die.

that's what the article is saying, that they haven't actually been removed just, turned off...

<p>Mobo - Asus P9X79 LE ----------- CPU - I7 4930K @ 4.4GHz ------ COOLER - Custom Loop ---------- GPU - R9 290X Crossfire ---------- Ram - 8GB Corsair Vengence Pro @ 1866 --- SSD - Samsung 840 Pro 128GB ------ PSU - Corsair AX 860i ----- Case - Corsair 900D

PowerColor Radeon R9 290 unlocked into R9 290X?

PowerColor-R9-290-to-290X.jpg

http://videocardz.com/47971/powercolor-radeon-r9-290-unlocked-r9-290x

Haven't had the time to read it through because i wanted to share it with you guys as fast as possible.

#LinusKitchenTips /// "Better than useless" - Linus Sebastian

LTT Holy bible: Code Of Conduct

Project Toaster [My Silver NCASE M1 V2 Build-log] 

Main Rig
 Case: Fractal Design Define R5 CPU: INTEL 
i5 3570k Cooler: CM Hyper 212 Evo Mobo: Maximus V Gene Z77 GPU: Gigabyte GTX 970 G1 Gaming (w/ 0% fan mode) RAM: Corsair Dominator Platinum 2x8GB 1600mHz Storage: OCZ VERTEX 4 256GB PSU: Corsair AX860 Monitor: ASUS PB278Q 1440p 27" Headphones: QPAD QH-90 Laptop
Macbook Pro Retina 13" i5 256Gb Early 2015
Phone
Oneplus One 64GB Sandstone Black

I thought the X models had true audio? Which was a hardware implementation?

GPU BIOS can be flashed, this is not new and we do not need a new topic for every GPU  that ever comes out...

In case the moderators do not ban me as requested, this is a notice that I have left and am not coming back.

GPU BIOS can be flashed, this is not new and we do not need a new topic for every GPU  that ever comes out...

True, but this isn't really a GPU release related topic.

#LinusKitchenTips /// "Better than useless" - Linus Sebastian

LTT Holy bible: Code Of Conduct

Project Toaster [My Silver NCASE M1 V2 Build-log] 

Main Rig
 Case: Fractal Design Define R5 CPU: INTEL 
i5 3570k Cooler: CM Hyper 212 Evo Mobo: Maximus V Gene Z77 GPU: Gigabyte GTX 970 G1 Gaming (w/ 0% fan mode) RAM: Corsair Dominator Platinum 2x8GB 1600mHz Storage: OCZ VERTEX 4 256GB PSU: Corsair AX860 Monitor: ASUS PB278Q 1440p 27" Headphones: QPAD QH-90 Laptop
Macbook Pro Retina 13" i5 256Gb Early 2015
Phone
Oneplus One 64GB Sandstone Black

I thought the X models had true audio? Which was a hardware implementation?

Both 290 and 290x have true audio. The rest of the r9 lineup (x or not) has no true audio since they're old gpus.