r9 290 to r9 290x

James_AJ

20nm is going to be where its at hopefully they can nearly double the cores in the GPU without many complications, and have a large jump in performance

You can't put in twice as many cores when you only have a 30% increase in available space without increasing the die size.

Back from the dead....

The Dutch article only tells about the earlier PowerColor intel we got a few days ago. But it does state that cards from Sapphire and Gigabyte don't seem to be flashable. Anyhow the cards are weird, so close in preformance and price, if it is really this easy it is really weird. You would say that having a modified BIOS on the R9290 with cores turned of would be harder and more expensive to R&D and build, instead of a normal BIOS with all cores enanabled. Also if that is the case why do they laser off cores? I mean the power delivery of the card wouldn't be enough for the extra cores, but if one flashes the BIOS to eneable them it is their own risk in doing so. Or am I missing something?

"Great minds discuss ideas; average minds discuss events; small minds discuss people."

Main rig:

i7-4790 - 24GB RAM - GTX 970 - Samsung 840 240GB Evo - 2x 2TB Seagate. - 4 monitors - G710+ - G600 - Zalman Z9U3

Other devices

Oneplus One 64GB Sandstone

Surface Pro 3 - i7 - 256Gb

Surface RT

Server:

SuperMicro something - Xeon e3 1220 V2 - 12GB RAM - 16TB of Seagates 

You can't put in twice as many cores when you only have a 30% increase in available space without increasing the die size.

doesnt mean they cant fit 50% more without increasing the die size i mean gcn2.0 will be more compact and efficiently designed than 1.1 is currently plus the shrink

Processor: Intel core i7 930 @3.6  Mobo: Asus P6TSE  GPU: EVGA GTX 680 SC  RAM:12 GB G-skill Ripjaws 2133@1333  SSD: Intel 335 240gb  HDD: Seagate 500gb

Monitors: 2x Samsung 245B  Keyboard: Blackwidow Ultimate   Mouse: Zowie EC1 Evo   Mousepad: Goliathus Alpha  Headphones: MMX300  Case: Antec DF-85