Addicted to your smartphone while driving? Nissan has a 'plan' to help...

Would you put your phone in the Jukes Faraday Cage  

100 members have voted

1. 1. Would you put your phone in the Jukes Faraday Cage?

• I don't use my phone while driving
    • This is an easy thing to do
    • I would constantly forget
    • Only if the phone integration is good
    • I'm addicted to my phone, so it's always on me.

57 minutes ago, Brennan_Price said:

We are not saying do not take your phone with you when driving, just don't use your phone when driving. It's simple. Having your phone in your pocket when driving does not mean it is in use.

I was just responding to the comment about making the whole car a Faraday cage

I think it would be a good idea to just have modern cars disable any phone in a car full stop. But even then people would stick their phones out of the window to ring someone. People are just really fucking stupid. The problem is people and they are dumb.

(\__/)

(='.'=)

(")_(")  GTX 1070 5820K 500GB Samsung EVO SSD 1TB WD Green 16GB of RAM Corsair 540 Air Black EVGA Supernova 750W Gold  Logitech G502 Fiio E10 Wharfedale Diamond 220 Yamaha A-S501 Lian Li Fan Controller NHD-15 KBTalking Keyboard

4 minutes ago, kuddlesworth9419 said:

I think it would be a good idea to just have modern cars disable any phone in a car full stop. But even then people would stick their phones out of the window to ring someone. People are just really fucking stupid. The problem is people and they are dumb.

That would be a problem for a GPS/music streaming or as a passenger. 

PSU Tier List | CoC

Gaming Build | FreeNAS Server

Spoiler

i5-4690k || Seidon 240m || GTX780 ACX || MSI Z97s SLI Plus || 8GB 2400mhz || 250GB 840 Evo || 1TB WD Blue || H440 (Black/Blue) || Windows 10 Pro || Dell P2414H & BenQ XL2411Z || Ducky Shine Mini || Logitech G502 Proteus Core

Spoiler

FreeNAS 9.3 - Stable || Xeon E3 1230v2 || Supermicro X9SCM-F || 32GB Crucial ECC DDR3 || 3x4TB WD Red (JBOD) || SYBA SI-PEX40064 sata controller || Corsair CX500m || NZXT Source 210.

...what about hands-free?

I don't use my phone during driving, i'm not stupid. But i do make a call from time to time using bluetooth. Where does that fit in this "idea"?

Also, what about a car crash? Car goes upside down, you are stuck and unable to make a call, thanks nissan!...

If you want my attention, quote meh! D: or just stick an @samcool55 in your post :3

Spying on everyone to fight against terrorism is like shooting a mosquito with a cannon

5 minutes ago, samcool55 said:

...what about hands-free?

I don't use my phone during driving, i'm not stupid. But i do make a call from time to time using bluetooth. Where does that fit in this "idea"?

Also, what about a car crash? Car goes upside down, you are stuck and unable to make a call, thanks nissan!...

Thats not the point of this article. The center console is the only faraday cage in the car, not the car it self

Also like I mentioned before, your arguments have already been made for disabling of cell service in a car all together. 

To be fair Apple (and probably Google through Android Auto) have already corrected this partly with CarPlay - simply plug in the phone via USB and you get basic usability of it via touch and button controls on the screen/wheel. Apple are rumored to be preventing the device from being used while connected to CarPlay meaning you can only use the limited screen functionality in a car - no social media.

3 hours ago, Windspeed36 said:

To be fair Apple (and probably Google through Android Auto) have already corrected this partly with CarPlay - simply plug in the phone via USB and you get basic usability of it via touch and button controls on the screen/wheel. Apple are rumored to be preventing the device from being used while connected to CarPlay meaning you can only use the limited screen functionality in a car - no social media.

The main problem I see with today's systems, is that there's no good way to determine which phone belongs to the driver and which belongs to a passenger. If the driver lets the passenger use their music, then the passenger can't use social media.

I'll bet Apple has some kind of system planned to determine where the phone is within the car (something like iBeacon, maybe?) and disables certain things when its on the driver side. But maybe there's an important email that needs to be sent out, or maybe a funny video that needs to be shared. The driver could pass the phone to the passenger, and voila, passenger can access these things for the driver. Safe driving for all

Spoiler

...Then again, Apple IS  working on an autonomous car, so maybe it won't matter.

DELETE! DELETE!

EXTERMINATE! EXTERMINATE!

Silence will fall.

PSU Tier List - I keep forgetting where this is so I'm going to leave it here.

4 minutes ago, Macimoar said:

The main problem I see with today's systems, is that there's no good way to determine which phone belongs to the driver and which belongs to a passenger. If the driver lets the passenger use their music, then the passenger can't use social media.

I'll bet Apple has some kind of system planned to determine where the phone is within the car (something like iBeacon, maybe?) and disables certain things when its on the driver side. But maybe there's an important email that needs to be sent out, or maybe a funny video that needs to be shared. The driver could pass the phone to the passenger, and voila, passenger can access these things for the driver. Safe driving for all

Reveal hidden contents

CarPlay only works via USB so..

Just now, Windspeed36 said:

CarPlay only works via USB so..

I know that, I'm saying Apple could be working on a separate system that works in tandem with CarPlay.

DELETE! DELETE!

EXTERMINATE! EXTERMINATE!

Silence will fall.

PSU Tier List - I keep forgetting where this is so I'm going to leave it here.

Nope, wouldn't do it. I answer calls/text using voice control in the car, no touching the phone. I need them to come through in case they're for work. 

Laptop: Asus GA502DU

RAM: 16GB DDR4 | CPU: Ryzen 3750H | GPU: GTX 1660ti

15 hours ago, djdwosk97 said:

Nissan needs new designers.

1426610253213.jpg

Don't you dare call this a bad design, this is the best visibility on a car period. Reversing must be fun! /s

If you want to reply back to me or someone else USE THE QUOTE BUTTON!                                                      
Pascal laptops guide

So hardware airplane mode...

I do use it when I stop on a redlight, but usually it's on gps mode. I rarely/never text and drive, it's crazy to do it. Also, the problem isn't having less hands on the wheel, it's the brain power that is used to things other than driving. Talking on the phone with hands free mode can also be dangerous.

32 minutes ago, raphidy said:

So hardware airplane mode...

I do use it when I stop on a redlight, but usually it's on gps mode. I rarely/never text and drive, it's crazy to do it. Also, the problem isn't having less hands on the wheel, it's the brain power that is used to things other than driving. Talking on the phone with hands free mode can also be dangerous.

while i partially agree i think it more has to do with having your eyes somewhere other than the road. Calling is totally doable on the road but anything other than that is dumb. also i do skip songs but thats because it is right next to t the power button on my phone so if i hear a song come on i dont like i can skip without taking my eyes off the road

Main Rig | Personal Build | Windows 10 | R7 2700x 3.7~4.3ghz | ASUS ROG Strix B450-I | 16gb DDR4 3200mhz | GTX 1080 FE | Coolermaster Elite 130 | Corsair H60 | WD Blue SN500 500GB NVMe SSD + 1tb WD Green HDD + 1tb WD Blue HDD

Laptop | HP m6-w102dx | Windows 10 | i7-5500u 2.4~3.0ghz | 8gb DDR3L | GT 930m 2gb| 120gb Sandisk SSD

Phone | Pixel 3 | Verizon | 64gb

Ever since I got my Ford with Sync 3, I use Android Auto and dont ever have to touch my phone. It works great, i can text and call using the google voice assistant thingy, and Spotify and Maps work great as well. Thats all i need while driving. I don't ever have to take my hands off my steering wheel. So if you have a head unit that can work with Android Auto, I highly recommend you start using it. Also they are adding Waze to the navigation soon as well. If you dont have a headunit that works with android auto, you can use your phone as your "head unit" if you mount it up on the dash. 

( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)

Lol so many big fat fibbers

Intel 4670K /w TT water 2.0 performer, GTX 1070FE, Gigabyte Z87X-DH3, Corsair HX750, 16GB Mushkin 1333mhz, Fractal R4 Windowed, Varmilo mint TKL, Logitech m310, HP Pavilion 23bw, Logitech 2.1 Speakers

10 hours ago, Windspeed36 said:

I think the biggest limitation on this though is having Carplay and Auto implemented in vehicles by manufacturers.  Another issue that I've notices is keeping either the government or the regional car dealers out of the way of deploying all the features in the vehicle.  I know that in my 2014/15 Subaru Outback that the only connectivity for Apps to the infotainment system that I have is through Subaru's StarLink App since the MirrorLink feature has been disabled in the US for some reason.  Until they get this worked out on my end, I just Bluetooth my phone to the vehicle to receive calls and play music & podcasts.

I thought blocking in and/or out signals was against FCC laws. 

5800X3D / ASUS X570 Dark Hero / 32GB 3600mhz / EVGA RTX 3090ti FTW3 Ultra / Dell S3422DWG / Logitech G815 / Logitech G502 / Sennheiser HD 599

2021 Razer Blade 14 3070 / S23 Ultra

I have phone holder mounted on my windscreen and i place my phone in it and connect my charging cable and also use it to play music. Its always beside me and out of site and also i can see when someone calls me and if it is important or not to answer. If there is a emergency or something very important that you will miss out on if your phone is in a shielded cage IMO.

On 5/4/2017 at 9:20 AM, vetali said:

I thought blocking in and/or out signals was against FCC laws. 

Jamming is probably what the FCC refers to, which refers to equipment that actively interferes with the surrounding radio waves. A Faraday Cage as is used here is a passive method of interfering with radio waves, though only for devices inside of it. 

My eyes see the past…

My camera lens sees the present…