Addicted to your smartphone while driving? Nissan has a 'plan' to help...

Would you put your phone in the Jukes Faraday Cage  

100 members have voted

1. 1. Would you put your phone in the Jukes Faraday Cage?

• I don't use my phone while driving
    • This is an easy thing to do
    • I would constantly forget
    • Only if the phone integration is good
    • I'm addicted to my phone, so it's always on me.

Some people have a serious issue with using their smartphone to text and check social media while they are on the go... If you are one of those people, Nissan has a proposal in their Juke crossover vehicles that they think will help.  From an article on Tech Spot:

http://www.techspot.com/news/69172-nissan-using-180-year-old-tech-stop-smartphones.html

The company’s prototype Nissan Signal Shield is a compartment built into the armrest of its Juke crossover vehicle. To stop incoming and outgoing cellular, Bluetooth, and Wi-Fi connections, the box uses the same principles as a Faraday cage, which features a conductive material, such as wire mesh, to shield contents from electromagnetic fields. It was invented by Michael Faraday way back in 1836.

Once the compartment lid is closed, distractions such as texts, calls, message notifications, and social media alerts won’t get through. While some may question why a driver doesn’t just turn off their phone before getting into a car, there are some advantages to using the box. Not only is it quicker and easier than powering a phone on and off, the compartment contains wired connections, meaning a handset can be linked to the car’s infotainment system via USB or auxiliary ports so drivers can listen to music stored on their device, even when it’s locked away.

While this is a simple and cheap solution (assuming you put your phone in the box), the biggest downside that I see, is I've yet to see a car manufacturer provide a good, tight integration between the cars infortainment system and a smartphone.  This also relies on people remembering to place their phone into the compartment and plugging it in when they get in the car.  

I'm not suicidal, so I don't use my phone while driving.

But I feel like anyone who would use their phone while driving probably wouldn't put their phone in something like this because they could just as easily turn on airplane mode (and I still don't think most people use their phones for music in their car).

PSU Tier List | CoC

Gaming Build | FreeNAS Server

Spoiler

i5-4690k || Seidon 240m || GTX780 ACX || MSI Z97s SLI Plus || 8GB 2400mhz || 250GB 840 Evo || 1TB WD Blue || H440 (Black/Blue) || Windows 10 Pro || Dell P2414H & BenQ XL2411Z || Ducky Shine Mini || Logitech G502 Proteus Core

Spoiler

FreeNAS 9.3 - Stable || Xeon E3 1230v2 || Supermicro X9SCM-F || 32GB Crucial ECC DDR3 || 3x4TB WD Red (JBOD) || SYBA SI-PEX40064 sata controller || Corsair CX500m || NZXT Source 210.

Mind as well switch using a key to start your car to plugging your phone in the glovebox and once you start driving the glovebox locks!

There is a problem though. I think the designers never even looked the car when they were designing it. I'm not judging anyone, but if someone finds that car appealing might have a slight vision problem.

The ability to google properly is a skill of its own. 

3 minutes ago, Bouzoo said:

There is a problem though. I think the designers never even looked the car when they were designing it. I'm not judging anyone, but if someone finds that car appealing might have a slight vision problem.

You have seen the Nissan Murano Cabriolet....right? 2-door convertible crossover are three words that shouldn't be in the same sentence.

Nissan needs new designers.

1426610253213.jpg

PSU Tier List | CoC

Spoiler

i5-4690k || Seidon 240m || GTX780 ACX || MSI Z97s SLI Plus || 8GB 2400mhz || 250GB 840 Evo || 1TB WD Blue || H440 (Black/Blue) || Windows 10 Pro || Dell P2414H & BenQ XL2411Z || Ducky Shine Mini || Logitech G502 Proteus Core

Spoiler

FreeNAS 9.3 - Stable || Xeon E3 1230v2 || Supermicro X9SCM-F || 32GB Crucial ECC DDR3 || 3x4TB WD Red (JBOD) || SYBA SI-PEX40064 sata controller || Corsair CX500m || NZXT Source 210.

People who text and drive won't put it in the box. Because their thought process is similar to drinking and driving, thinking accidents and death don't apply to you or you can do it because you're a good driver. This is equivalent to the car asking if you're drunk before starting (but not verifying in any way)

I wouldn't put it int he box because my phone getting an alert gets ignored when my car is moving. I even ignore phone calls sometimes if I think I can't multitask at the moment (on busy inner city streets with a lot of people vs the highway or something). I mean fuck I ignore my phone at work for 12 hours I think I have self control. So what's the point? I'd rather have texts waiting for me when I stop instead of missing shit entirely. I'd rather know I got a text to look at later. 

muh specs 

Gaming and HTPC (reparations)- ASUS 1080, MSI X99A SLI Plus, 5820k- 4.5GHz @ 1.25v, asetek based 360mm AIO, RM 1000x, 16GB memory, 750D with front USB 2.0 replaced with 3.0  ports, 2 250GB 850 EVOs in Raid 0 (why not, only has games on it), some hard drives

Screens- Acer preditor XB241H (1080p, 144Hz Gsync), LG 1080p ultrawide, (all mounted) directly wired to TV in other room

Stuff- k70 with reds, steel series rival, g13, full desk covering mouse mat

All parts black

Workstation(desk)- 3770k, 970 reference, 16GB of some crucial memory, a motherboard of some kind I don't remember, Micomsoft SC-512N1-L/DVI, CM Storm Trooper (It's got a handle, can you handle that?), 240mm Asetek based AIO, Crucial M550 256GB (upgrade soon), some hard drives, disc drives, and hot swap bays

Screens- 3  ASUS VN248H-P IPS 1080p screens mounted on a stand, some old tv on the wall above it. 

Stuff- Epicgear defiant (solderless swappable switches), g600, moutned mic and other stuff. 

Laptop docking area- 2 1440p korean monitors mounted, one AHVA matte, one samsung PLS gloss (very annoying, yes). Trashy Razer blackwidow chroma...I mean like the J key doesn't click anymore. I got a model M i use on it to, but its time for a new keyboard. Some edgy Utechsmart mouse similar to g600. Hooked to laptop dock for both of my dell precision laptops. (not only docking area)

Shelf- i7-2600 non-k (has vt-d), 380t, some ASUS sandy itx board, intel quad nic. Currently hosts shared files, setting up as pfsense box in VM. Also acts as spare gaming PC with a 580 or whatever someone brings. Hooked into laptop dock area via usb switch

Or you could you know...just not use it...

If this is still an optional thing then people who text and drive will not put it in the box. 

7 minutes ago, WMGroomAK said:

Some people have a serious issue with using their smartphone to text and check social media while they are on the go... If you are one of those people, Nissan has a proposal in their Juke crossover vehicles that they think will help.  From an article on Tech Spot:

http://www.techspot.com/news/69172-nissan-using-180-year-old-tech-stop-smartphones.html

While this is a simple and cheap solution (assuming you put your phone in the box), the biggest downside that I see, is I've yet to see a car manufacturer provide a good, tight integration between the cars infortainment system and a smartphone.  This also relies on people remembering to place their phone into the compartment and plugging it in when they get in the car.  

I don't  socialize so I don't use my phone much.

10 minutes ago, djdwosk97 said:

I'm not suicidal, so I don't use my phone while driving.

But I feel like anyone who would use their phone while driving probably wouldn't put their phone in something like this because they could just as easily turn on airplane mode (and I still don't think most people use their phones for music in their car).

I know both my parents listen to music while driving (granted, my dad has CDs for his Tacoma and a flash drive for his Charger) but they both know their limits.

I don't understand how people can't limit themselves on their phone in a car.

Check out my guide on how to scan cover art here!

Local asshole and 6th generation console enthusiast.

2 minutes ago, djdwosk97 said:

Snip

Still better than a Fiat Multipla or Pontiac Aztek.

All are excellent cases and may be uses as a test for early discovery of possible vision impairement. 

The ability to google properly is a skill of its own. 

2 minutes ago, Bouzoo said:

Still better than a Fiat Multipla or Pontiac Aztek.

All are excellent cases and may be uses as a test for early discovery of possible vision impairement. 

True, but I'm talking about modern cars. But it takes a special kind of someone to buy a Fiat.

PSU Tier List | CoC

Spoiler

Spoiler

The voting option "I'm addicted to my phone, so it's always on me." has a problem. "On me" is usually used to say on your person; not in use. I always have my phone with me, but that doesn't mean I'm always using it. I always have my phone, keys, wallet on me -- doesn't mean I constantly use them. I don't use my phone at all while driving, for what it's worth.

I use my phone but not for texting. I mount it and I use it for gps or change music on it. Instead of using my radio, I just click next on my phone. 

Wishing leads to ambition and ambition leads to motivation and motivation leads to me building an illegal rocket ship in my backyard.

Is the new plan to just buy a Motorbike? Then you can NEVER use your phone on the road, its the best way to stop it.

My Rig:

Xeon E5 1680 V2 @ 4.5GHz - Asus Rampage IV Extreme X79 Mobo - 64GB DDR3 1600MHz - 8 x 8GB Corsair Vengeance Low Profile - CAS 10-10-10-27 - AMD Radeon RX 6700XT Sapphire Pulse 12GB - DeepCool E-Shield E-ATX Tempered Glass Case - 1 x 1TB Crucial P1 NVMe SSD - BeQuiet Straight Power 11 850W Gold+ Quad rail - Fractal Design Celsius S36 & 6 x 120mm silent fans - Lenovo KBBH21 - Corsair Glaive RGB Pro - Windows 10 Pro 64-Bit

Monitors - 3 x Acer Nitro 23.8" 1080p 75Hz IPS 1ms Freesync Panels = AMD Eyefinity @ 75Hz

4 minutes ago, Brennan_Price said:

Is the new plan to just buy a Motorbike? Then you can NEVER use your phone on the road, its the best way to stop it.

exactly :D i ride a bike, so naturally i loathe people who use their phones while driving. But being on the other side of it, i can say that if/when i ever get a car i will not be so fuckin stupid to use my phone while driving. I literally consider these people murderers, they willingly choose to put people's lives in danger so they have already made a concerted decision to possibly kill someone through their own negligence and stupidity

Home PC:

CPU: i7 4790s ~ Motherboard: Asus B85M-E ~ RAM: 32GB Ballistix Sport DDR3 1666 ~ GPU: Sapphire R9 390 Nitro ~ Case: Corsair Carbide Spec-03 ~ Storage: Kingston Predator 240GB   PCIE M.2 Boot, 2TB HDD, 3x 480GB SATA SSD's in RAID 0 ~ PSU:    Corsair CX600
Display(s): Asus PB287Q , Generic Samsung 1080p 22" ~ Cooling: Arctic T3 Air Cooler, All case fans replaced with Noctua NF-B9 Redux's ~ Keyboard: Logitech G810 Orion ~ Mouse: Cheap Microsoft Wired (i like it) ~ Sound: Radial Pro USB DAC into 250w Powered Speakers ~ Operating System: Windows 10 Enterprise x64

Work PC:

CPU: Intel Xeon E3 1275 v3 ~ Motherboard: Asrock E3C226D2I ~ RAM: 16GB DDR3 ~ GPU: GTX 460 ~ Case: Silverstone SG05 ~ Storage: 512GB SATA SSD ~ Displays: 3x1080p 24" mix and matched Dell monitors plus a 10" 1080p lilliput monitor above ~ Operating System: Windows 10 Enterprise x64

on a further note, it should be made law in all non-armpit countries, that vehicles must be fitted with faraday cages :)

Home PC:

CPU: i7 4790s ~ Motherboard: Asus B85M-E ~ RAM: 32GB Ballistix Sport DDR3 1666 ~ GPU: Sapphire R9 390 Nitro ~ Case: Corsair Carbide Spec-03 ~ Storage: Kingston Predator 240GB   PCIE M.2 Boot, 2TB HDD, 3x 480GB SATA SSD's in RAID 0 ~ PSU:    Corsair CX600
Display(s): Asus PB287Q , Generic Samsung 1080p 22" ~ Cooling: Arctic T3 Air Cooler, All case fans replaced with Noctua NF-B9 Redux's ~ Keyboard: Logitech G810 Orion ~ Mouse: Cheap Microsoft Wired (i like it) ~ Sound: Radial Pro USB DAC into 250w Powered Speakers ~ Operating System: Windows 10 Enterprise x64

Work PC:

CPU: Intel Xeon E3 1275 v3 ~ Motherboard: Asrock E3C226D2I ~ RAM: 16GB DDR3 ~ GPU: GTX 460 ~ Case: Silverstone SG05 ~ Storage: 512GB SATA SSD ~ Displays: 3x1080p 24" mix and matched Dell monitors plus a 10" 1080p lilliput monitor above ~ Operating System: Windows 10 Enterprise x64

Just now, DnFx91 said:

exactly :D i ride a bike, so naturally i loathe people who use their phones while driving. But being on the other side of it, i can say that if/when i ever get a car i will not be so fuckin stupid to use my phone while driving. I literally consider these people murderers, they willingly choose to put people's lives in danger so they have already made a concerted decision to possibly kill someone through their own negligence and stupidity

Yeah it is exactly that. There are already enough dangers to riding/owning a bike, people on their phone just make it so much worse when they happen to be half in/half out of their lane because they are on their phone. As soon as you have fixed the issue for yourself, you instantly run into more problems caused by others on their phone when on a bike. Lethal, just lethal. 

My Rig:

Xeon E5 1680 V2 @ 4.5GHz - Asus Rampage IV Extreme X79 Mobo - 64GB DDR3 1600MHz - 8 x 8GB Corsair Vengeance Low Profile - CAS 10-10-10-27 - AMD Radeon RX 6700XT Sapphire Pulse 12GB - DeepCool E-Shield E-ATX Tempered Glass Case - 1 x 1TB Crucial P1 NVMe SSD - BeQuiet Straight Power 11 850W Gold+ Quad rail - Fractal Design Celsius S36 & 6 x 120mm silent fans - Lenovo KBBH21 - Corsair Glaive RGB Pro - Windows 10 Pro 64-Bit

Monitors - 3 x Acer Nitro 23.8" 1080p 75Hz IPS 1ms Freesync Panels = AMD Eyefinity @ 75Hz

11 minutes ago, Brennan_Price said:

2 minutes ago, DnFx91 said:

Never say never... In the last couple of years, I think I've seen bluetooth kits being developed for motorcycle helmets to add in some kind of handsfree system for interacting with your phone for calls, music and maybe even GPS.

Just now, WMGroomAK said:

Never say never... In the last couple of years, I think I've seen bluetooth kits being developed for motorcycle helmets to add in some kind of handsfree system for interacting with your phone for calls, music and maybe even GPS.

that's fine though as long as it fulfills one simple criteria. that you dont have to look away from the road. that's why i have no problem with shit like satnavs or even phones in window mounted brackets, because the driver doesnt need to look away from the road, it's as distracting as talking to someone else in the car

Home PC:

Work PC:

Just now, WMGroomAK said:

Personally, I think its a very bad idea and should not be done at all. If you are listening to music on your bike you can't hear other bikes (with louder engines) to let them pass when lane splitting which is once again dangerous. You just end up being oblivious of others and therefore cause more crashes. I just hate the mobile phone while driver/on the road agenda entirely tbh.

My Rig:

10 minutes ago, DnFx91 said:

on a further note, it should be made law in all non-armpit countries, that vehicles must be fitted with faraday cages :)

Why it would be nice people have already fought this point. 

What if you are trapped after an accident in a car or kidnapped and need to call 911 and now you cannot call for help?

There is no other way to getting around people being retards and texting while driving.

Also please Nissan stop crashing in every GT3 race you have participated this year so far...

oh and a new GTR.

I don't read the reply to my posts anymore so don't bother.

1 minute ago, mynameisjuan said:

Why it would be nice people have already fought this point. 

What if you are trapped after an accident in a car or kidnapped and need to call 911 and now you cannot call for help?

There is no other way to getting around people being retards and texting while driving.

We are not saying do not take your phone with you when driving, just don't use your phone when driving. It's simple. Having your phone in your pocket when driving does not mean it is in use.

My Rig:

the only way i'd use something like that is if waze and spotify could be used on the headunit, as i use my phone as the sat nav, and music player.

Intel i5-6600K@4.2GHz, 16GB Crucial DDR4-2133, Gigabyte Z170X-UD3, Be quiet shadow rock slim, Sapphire RX 480 Nitro+ OC, Fractal design Integra M 550W, NZXT S340, Sandisk X110 128GB, WD black 750GB, Seagate momentus 160GB, HGST 160GB

If you text and drive, you shouldn't have a license and you should be ashamed of yourself for putting your and other people's lives at risk.

Don't ask to ask, just ask... please 🤨

sudo chmod -R 000 /*