URGENT Lower Performance with SLI

A Silver

UPDATE: I ran time spy and got a way better result than with a single GPU but it says my graphics driver is not approved. Why is that? Is it because i just upgraded to the newest nvidia driver?

I just got a second GTX 1080 and when i open forza horizon 3 i was shocked to see i was at 50fps where i  use to get 75 (I capped it to 75 as the fps was very unstable). How can i fix this as it is a lot of money to spend just to get lower performance. I have a 1080p monitor but i am running the game at 4k using dynamic super resolution. One card is Gigabyte and one is zotac.

results.png

PC Specs:

CPU: Intel i9 12900K

CPU Cooler: Corsair Hydro H150i Elite Capellix

Mother Board: MSI z690 carbon WiFi

RAM: TeamSport Elite DDR5 2x16 4800mhz

Storage: 2TB Samsung 970 Plus NVMe, 240 SanDisk SSD Plus, Crucial MX300 750GB SSD

GPU: Gigabyte G1 Gaming GTX 1080 

Case: Corsair Crystal 460X

PSU: Cosrair RM850X 80+ Gold

Monitor: Acer Predator XB271HU 27" 1440p @ 165hz

Keyboard: Razer Black Widow Chroma

Mouse: Logitech G502

Sound: Sony MDR 1000x Headphones, Blue Snowball Microphone

Laptop Specs:

Gigabyte Aorus 15G

CPU: Intel i7 10875H

RAM: 16gb DDR4

Storage: 512gb NVMe, 1TB Crucial MX300 SATA SSD

GPU: Nvidia RTX 2070 Max-Q

Have you done any benchmarks with just 1 1080, and then benchmark again with SLI?

Also... I'm not sure if it's a good idea to run 2 different cards even though their both 1080s...

SLI isn't guaranteed to boost performance and can degrade it, depending on the game or if there's a profile for the game in the drivers. So run other benchmarks and games and compare the results to make sure it's actually your setup rather and not just a fluke that Forza doesn't like SLI.

Some games do have negative SLI scaling, have tried any other games?

Ryzen Ram Guide

My Project Logs   Iced Blood    Temporal Snow    Temporal Snow Ryzen Refresh

CPU - Ryzen 1700 @ 4Ghz  Motherboard - Gigabyte AX370 Aorus Gaming 5   Ram - 16Gb GSkill Trident Z RGB 3200  GPU - Palit 1080GTX Gamerock Premium  Storage - Samsung XP941 256GB, Crucial MX300 525GB, Seagate Barracuda 1TB   PSU - Fractal Design Newton R3 1000W  Case - INWIN 303 White Display - Asus PG278Q Gsync 144hz 1440P

Forza 3 doesn't support SLI I just checked, try a different game - infact, aint it a windows store game? if so I didn't come across any windows store game that did, something to do with Fullscreen access

Ryzen Ram Guide

CPU - Ryzen 1700 @ 4Ghz  Motherboard - Gigabyte AX370 Aorus Gaming 5   Ram - 16Gb GSkill Trident Z RGB 3200  GPU - Palit 1080GTX Gamerock Premium  Storage - Samsung XP941 256GB, Crucial MX300 525GB, Seagate Barracuda 1TB   PSU - Fractal Design Newton R3 1000W  Case - INWIN 303 White Display - Asus PG278Q Gsync 144hz 1440P

Buying a second 1080 is not gonna necessarily get you better performance. I think Forza has negative scaling with SLI, so just turn off SLI before you play. Also, why are you running two different 1080 models in SLI? That's really not the best choice

"There is a fine line between not listening, and not caring. I'd like to think I walk that line every day of my life."

Spoiler

Desktop:

Spoiler

CPU: Ryzen 5 2600X w/stock cooler, Motherboard: MSI X370 GAMING PLUS, RAM: Corsair Vengeance LPX 24gb DDR4-2600, GPU: EVGA RTX 2070 SUPER XC, Case: NZXT S340, PSU: Corsair RMx 750w, Keyboard: Corsair K50, Mouse: Corsair Ironclaw

Laptop:

Spoiler

Lenovo IdeaPad S540

21 minutes ago, N1ghtshade said:

Buying a second 1080 is not gonna necessarily get you better performance. I think Forza has negative scaling with SLI, so just turn off SLI before you play. Also, why are you running two different 1080 models in SLI? That's really not the best choice

I only got a different brand as the zotac mini one is the only one which fits in my case as the HDD cage is in the way

PC Specs:

Storage: 2TB Samsung 970 Plus NVMe, 240 SanDisk SSD Plus, Crucial MX300 750GB SSD

Laptop Specs:

Gigabyte Aorus 15G

Just now, A Silver said:

I only got a different brand as the zotac mini one is the only one which fits in my case as the HDD cage is in the way

Well why didn't you get two zotac minis? Or just not get a second card?...

"There is a fine line between not listening, and not caring. I'd like to think I walk that line every day of my life."

Spoiler

Desktop:

Spoiler

CPU: Ryzen 5 2600X w/stock cooler, Motherboard: MSI X370 GAMING PLUS, RAM: Corsair Vengeance LPX 24gb DDR4-2600, GPU: EVGA RTX 2070 SUPER XC, Case: NZXT S340, PSU: Corsair RMx 750w, Keyboard: Corsair K50, Mouse: Corsair Ironclaw

Laptop:

Spoiler

Lenovo IdeaPad S540

31 minutes ago, stealth80 said:

Forza 3 doesn't support SLI I just checked, try a different game - infact, aint it a windows store game? if so I didn't come across any windows store game that did, something to do with Fullscreen access

I played GTA 5 and i got the same FPS as before

PC Specs:

Laptop Specs:

Gigabyte Aorus 15G

1 minute ago, A Silver said:

I played GTA 5 and i got the same FPS as before

How? GTA V is not kind towards SLI, and everyone I know that's used SLI on GTA V has gotten tons of microstutter and lower fps

Spoiler

Desktop:

Spoiler

Laptop:

Spoiler

Lenovo IdeaPad S540

Just now, N1ghtshade said:

How? GTA V is not kind towards SLI, and everyone I know that's used SLI on GTA V has gotten tons of microstutter and lower fps

100% BS and I've disproved this too many times to have to do it again.

OP, it's just Forza. Forza doesn't have a profile for Microsoft reasons. 

If anyone asks you never saw me.

Just now, App4that said:

100% BS and I've disproved this too many times to have to do it again.

Oh dear lord, not this again. GTA V has problems on this with newer cards (Pascal). It's not as bad on Maxwell, and SLI with older cards will do just fine with GTA V, but newer cards have trouble with it. OP has a 10 series, so I found it odd that he didn't have any problems with microstutter.

Spoiler

Desktop:

Spoiler

Laptop:

Spoiler

Lenovo IdeaPad S540

Just now, N1ghtshade said:

Oh dear lord, not this again. GTA V has problems on this with newer cards (Pascal). It's not as bad on Maxwell, and SLI with older cards will do just fine with GTA V, but newer cards have trouble with it. OP has a 10 series, so I found it odd that he didn't have any problems with microstutter

It's not a matter of older verses newer... It's that the 2 1080ti cause the 7700k to be a bottleneck. You see the same thing with 2 1070 verses 2 1080 where the 2 1070 can actually perform better. 

Up the resolution until the load is on the cards, that's the fix. 

19 minutes ago, N1ghtshade said:

Nope wrong, I had great SLI results with 2x 970's, don't believe everything you read.

13 minutes ago, N1ghtshade said:

Oh dear lord, not this again. GTA V has problems on this with newer cards (Pascal). It's not as bad on Maxwell, and SLI with older cards will do just fine with GTA V, but newer cards have trouble with it. OP has a 10 series, so I found it odd that he didn't have any problems with microstutter.

Also lol, massive bottleneck for the 7700k unfortunately - They should run on some newer games like Watch Dogs 2 etc at 4k

Ryzen Ram Guide

edit: Bad wifi made this post twice, mods delete this post pls

Spoiler

Desktop:

Spoiler

Laptop:

Spoiler

Lenovo IdeaPad S540

1 hour ago, App4that said:

It's not a matter of older verses newer... It's that the 2 1080ti cause the 7700k to be a bottleneck. You see the same thing with 2 1070 verses 2 1080 where the 2 1070 can actually perform better. 

Up the resolution until the load is on the cards, that's the fix. 

The 7700k is not a bottleneck. 2 x 1080ti's won't get bottlenecked even with a 3770k.

And even at 4k, you still get bad results.

Spoiler

Desktop:

Spoiler

Laptop:

Spoiler

Lenovo IdeaPad S540

3 minutes ago, N1ghtshade said:

The 7700k is not a bottleneck. 2 x 1080ti's won't get bottlenecked even with a 3770k.

And even at 4k, you still get bad results.

No, please know the topic before posting. 

13 minutes ago, App4that said:

No, please know the topic before posting. 

Spoiler

Desktop:

Spoiler

Laptop:

Spoiler

Lenovo IdeaPad S540

lol if there is video of both it working and non working have you came to the conclusion of user error?

been running sli since 8500gt's ran many different cards

never had these issues

4 minutes ago, N1ghtshade said:

snip

Because you found someone who knows less than you, you think that's evidence?

Good luck. 

Just now, pas008 said:

lol if there is video of both it working and non working have you came to the conclusion of user error?

No. I have come to the conclusion that SLI is a mess. Don't get me wrong, I love SLI, but in an odd sense. I love it because it's an innovative concept, and with some tuning, Nvidia could make it great, and it would be worth the money. I hope we'll see everyone in the future with dual GPU systems that could handle anything. Unfortunately, Nvidia released an unfinished mess of a product, and along with the fact that devs for some reason don't want to support it, it sees barely any benefit in games that can benefit from it, and worse performance in games that can.

Spoiler

Desktop:

Spoiler

Laptop:

Spoiler

Lenovo IdeaPad S540

Just now, App4that said:

Because you found someone who knows less than you, you think that's evidence?

Good luck. 

???

Spoiler

Desktop:

Spoiler

Laptop:

Spoiler

Lenovo IdeaPad S540

1 minute ago, N1ghtshade said:

???

I play GTA V in SLI, I've posted screenshots showing the difference between using one card and 2. I've shown how you can cherry pick and make it look like the scaling isn;t that good because of how CPU demanding some areas are. 

This dead fucking horse has been beaten into glue.

1 minute ago, App4that said:

I play GTA V in SLI, I've posted screenshots showing the difference between using one card and 2. I've shown how you can cherry pick and make it look like the scaling isn;t that good because of how CPU demanding some areas are. 

This dead fucking horse has been beaten into glue.

Yes I'm aware. I said before, SLI helps keep older cards relevant. And atm that's the only thing it's good for.

Why did you bring it up then?

Spoiler

Desktop:

Spoiler

Laptop:

Spoiler

Lenovo IdeaPad S540

Yes I'm aware. I said before, SLI helps keep older cards relevant. And atm that's the only thing it's good for.

Why did you bring it up then?

how many sli systems have you owned

8500gts

560ti

670 actually tried 3way

soon 1080ti

please advise me how horrible it is that I keep going to sli?