URGENT Lower Performance with SLI

A Silver
3 minutes ago, N1ghtshade said:

Yes I'm aware. I said before, SLI helps keep older cards relevant. And atm that's the only thing it's good for.

Why did you bring it up then?

YOU brought it up. The OP came looking for help. The help is to run higher resolutions to keep the load off the CPU, that's the help. Not lying and saying a game that has awesome scaling, doesn't...

If anyone asks you never saw me.

3 minutes ago, pas008 said:

how many sli systems have you owned

8500gts

560ti

670 actually tried 3way

soon 1080ti

please advise me how horrible it is that I keep going to sli?

980 ti for a while

Friend has 1080 sli, tried it, used it and benchmarked

I don't need to own a lot to know that it's bad. That logic is stupid. I could apply that to anything. How many lamborghinis have you owned? None? Well then how do you know that they're good? How many Razer products have you owned? None? Well how do you know they're bad? I can go on

"There is a fine line between not listening, and not caring. I'd like to think I walk that line every day of my life."

Spoiler

Desktop:

Spoiler

CPU: Ryzen 5 2600X w/stock cooler, Motherboard: MSI X370 GAMING PLUS, RAM: Corsair Vengeance LPX 24gb DDR4-2600, GPU: EVGA RTX 2070 SUPER XC, Case: NZXT S340, PSU: Corsair RMx 750w, Keyboard: Corsair K50, Mouse: Corsair Ironclaw

Laptop:

Spoiler

Lenovo IdeaPad S540

1 minute ago, App4that said:

YOU brought it up. The OP came looking for help. The help is to run higher resolutions to keep the load off the CPU, that's the help. Not lying and saying a game that has awesome scaling, doesn't...

Forza 3 Horizons literally does not support SLI... You said yourself it had no profile

"There is a fine line between not listening, and not caring. I'd like to think I walk that line every day of my life."

Spoiler

Desktop:

Spoiler

CPU: Ryzen 5 2600X w/stock cooler, Motherboard: MSI X370 GAMING PLUS, RAM: Corsair Vengeance LPX 24gb DDR4-2600, GPU: EVGA RTX 2070 SUPER XC, Case: NZXT S340, PSU: Corsair RMx 750w, Keyboard: Corsair K50, Mouse: Corsair Ironclaw

Laptop:

Spoiler

Lenovo IdeaPad S540

2 minutes ago, N1ghtshade said:

980 ti for a while

Friend has 1080 sli, tried it, used it and benchmarked

I don't need to own a lot to know that it's bad. That logic is stupid. I could apply that to anything. How many lamborghinis have you owned? None? Well then how do you know that they're good?

point went way over your head

sry if you lack the knowledge to get things running right

its funny you ran it once and you are always bashing it lol

like I said USER ERROR

Just now, N1ghtshade said:

Forza 3 Horizons literally does not support SLI... You said yourself it had no profile

Son, don't try and gas light me. I've been around a spell. 

I have Horizons as well. You just run off one card like any other game. Why you don't SLI low end cards. 

The topic is poor performance the OP is having, that's due to the resolution. 

OP up your res, that gives you fewer draw calls to the CPU from the GPU, which means less work for the CPU and the likelihood of a bottleneck goes down. End of story

With Forza run it with a single card.

Before you buy amp and dac.  My thoughts on the M50x  Ultimate Ears Reference monitor review I might have a thing for audio...

My main Headphones and IEMs:  K612 pro, HD 25 and Ultimate Ears Reference Monitor, HD 580 with HD 600 grills

DAC and AMP: RME ADI 2 DAC

Speakers: Genelec 8040, System Audio SA205

Receiver: Denon AVR-1612

Desktop: R7 1700, GTX 1080  RX 580 8GB and other stuff

Laptop: ThinkPad P50: i7 6820HQ, M2000M. ThinkPad T420s: i7 2640M, NVS 4200M

Feel free to pm me if you have a question for me or quote me. If you want to hear what I have to say about something just tag me.

6 minutes ago, App4that said:

Son, don't try and gas light me. I've been around a spell. 

I have Horizons as well. You just run off one card like any other game. Why you don't SLI low end cards. 

The topic is poor performance the OP is having, that's due to the resolution. 

Totally gas lighting 100%. And don't call me son, dad. You're not my real dad ( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)

And OP has a 1080... is that a low end card?

7 minutes ago, pas008 said:

point went way over your head

sry if you lack the knowledge to get things running right

its funny you ran it once and you are always bashing it lol

like I said USER ERROR

I had things running just fine. HB bridge, max settings, benchmarked at 4k, 1440p, and 1080p. Same or worse results across the board.

User error? If that's so, then how come numerous tech channels have made videos on SLI telling how it's a mess? Are you gonna tell me channels like LTT don't know what they're talking about and they're just "not doing it right"?

Spoiler

Desktop:

Spoiler

Laptop:

Spoiler

Lenovo IdeaPad S540

Totally gas lighting 100%. And don't call me son, dad. You're not my real dad ( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)

And OP has a 1080... is that a low end card?

I had things running just fine. HB bridge, max settings, benchmarked at 4k, 1440p, and 1080p. Same or worse results across the board.

User error? If that's so, then how come numerous tech channels have made videos on SLI telling how it's a mess? Are you gonna tell me channels like LTT don't know what they're talking about and they're just "not doing it right"?

I'm telling you Linus doesn't have a clue, other than how to sell himself. 

This is easy, you get rid of the GFE and use the resolution that places the load on the cards. You also make sure your drivers are up to date, SLI leans heavily on driver support and I've lost count of  the people who listen to fear mongering num nuts and think the new drivers are out to get them...

You research the game you want to play, does it support SLI and how is that support. Then set your SLI setting accourdingly. 

6 minutes ago, App4that said:

This is easy, you get rid of the GFE and use the resolution that places the load on the cards. You also make sure your drivers are up to date, SLI leans heavily on driver support and I've lost count of  the people who listen to fear mongering num nuts and think the new drivers are out to get them...

You research the game you want to play, does it support SLI and how is that support. Then set your SLI setting accordingly. 

I know Linus is some sort of tech god that knows everything. No one does. Buuut i find it hard to believe that after working with tech for this long, someone like him just "isn't doing SLI right". If that's so, what about the numerous other tech channels that drive the exact same point home?

What's so bad about about GFE? It's good for keeping stuff updated. And yeah, I can agree with that. 99% of the time the new drivers are a good thing. I see too many people keeping their old drivers and getting shite performance cause they think the new drivers are the devil.

Also, on a side note, what do you think about the cost of SLI? I see so many people say "oh it's worth it", but it's pretty expensive tbh, especially to SLI high end cards. Like, for instance, SLI 1080s. That's $1000, just on the GPUs. That's pretty much the same cost as a Titan X.

Spoiler

Desktop:

Spoiler

Laptop:

Spoiler

Lenovo IdeaPad S540

8 minutes ago, App4that said:

You research the game you want to play, does it support SLI and how is that support. Then set your SLI setting accourdingly. 

lol nvidia inspector fixes alot same with other tweaks that are easily found

hardly ever see people in these channels talk about using inspector or file edits

I know Linus is some sort of tech god that knows everything. No one does. Buuut i find it hard to believe that after working with tech for this long, someone like him just "isn't doing SLI right". If that's so, what about the numerous other tech channels that drive the exact same point home?

What's so bad about about GFE? It's good for keeping stuff updated. And yeah, I can agree with that. 99% of the time the new drivers are a good thing. I see too many people keeping their old drivers and getting shite performance cause they think the new drivers are the devil.

Also, on a side note, what do you think about the cost of SLI? I see so many people say "oh it's worth it", but it's pretty expensive tbh, especially to SLI high end cards. Like, for instance, SLI 1080s. That's $1000, just on the GPUs. That's pretty much the same cost as a Titan X.

Linus is a salesman, and so knows what is needed to sell parts. SLI doesn't sell parts, or get people to watch his channel. Testing SLI using the wrong settings and applications is like testing how good bacon is at a vegan restaurant. So the argument could be made that Linus knows enough to make SLI look bad.

The GFE is bloatware, plan and simple. At best it costs you fps. 

You nailed it earlier, SLI is best used to prolong the lif of older hardware, but can also be used when a single card solution doesn't offer enough performance. So if you're not getting a cheap used second card to get your set up to the next architecture, or can buy a single card to run the monitor/s you have, SLI is silly to use unless you like to fiddle and like seeing 2 cards in a case. 

Linus is a salesman, and so knows what is needed to sell parts. SLI doesn't sell parts, or get people to watch his channel. Testing SLI using the wrong settings and applications is like testing how good bacon is at a vegan restaurant. So the argument could be made that Linus knows enough to make SLI look bad.

The GFE is bloatware, plan and simple. At best it costs you fps. 

You nailed it earlier, SLI is best used to prolong the lif of older hardware, but can also be used when a single card solution doesn't offer enough performance. So if you're not getting a cheap used second card to get your set up to the next architecture, or can buy a single card to run the monitor/s you have, SLI is silly to use unless you like to fiddle and like seeing 2 cards in a case. 

I doubt he, and every other tech youtuber, would do that just make SLI look bad

and hmm ok. i never had too many problems with it, but I might have to get rid of it.

And yeah, that's what I figured

Spoiler

Desktop:

Spoiler

Laptop:

Spoiler

Lenovo IdeaPad S540

1 minute ago, N1ghtshade said:

just because you work in a certain area doesn't mean you know a lot about it or don't do some of the more basic things wrong. There are plenty of examples of this... There have been music producers out saying a human can hear up to 55KHz or something crazy like that, That is a pretty huge mistake about a fairly simple thing, even though the average hearing range for humans is 20Hz-20KHz, there are records of people going above 20Khz and below 20Hz. You see how people working in a given field for a "long" time doesn't equal to them knowing even the more basic things?

Last time I used GFE it was slow and just crap

Dual 1080's would beat a Titan X(P) and Titan Xp in games that have SLI support and if most of the games you play support SLI somewhat well, then why go with a single Titan X(P)?

Before you buy amp and dac.  My thoughts on the M50x  Ultimate Ears Reference monitor review I might have a thing for audio...

My main Headphones and IEMs:  K612 pro, HD 25 and Ultimate Ears Reference Monitor, HD 580 with HD 600 grills

Feel free to pm me if you have a question for me or quote me. If you want to hear what I have to say about something just tag me.

and hmm ok. i never had too many problems with it, but I might have to get rid of it.

I really doubt Linus actively is out to make anything look bad, he's just clueless. Like his Quadro video. Or RAM speed videos. His methodology sucks.

Get rid of GFE, give it a week and report back. You'll be happy.

lol do you think he actually has time to just focus on it lol

do you see how all over the place he is?

I really doubt Linus actively is out to make anything look bad, he's just clueless. Like his Quadro video. Or RAM speed videos. His methodology sucks.

Get rid of GFE, give it a week and report back. You'll be happy.

Hm ok

Oh no I sold my 980tis a while back. My current build is kind of potato. It's a random Optiplex that was given to me and sucks. I sold all my old stuff so I could buy a guitar and amp.

Spoiler

Desktop:

Spoiler

Laptop:

Spoiler

Lenovo IdeaPad S540

3 minutes ago, Dackzy said:

just because you work in a certain area doesn't mean you know a lot about it or don't do some of the more basic things wrong. There are plenty of examples of this... There have been music producers out saying a human can hear up to 55KHz or something crazy like that, That is a pretty huge mistake about a fairly simple thing, even though the average hearing range for humans is 20Hz-20KHz, there are records of people going above 20Khz and below 20Hz. You see how people working in a given field for a "long" time doesn't equal to them knowing even the more basic things?

Last time I used GFE it was slow and just crap

Dual 1080's would beat a Titan X(P) and Titan Xp in games that have SLI support and if most of the games you play support SLI somewhat well, then why go with a single Titan X(P)?

Linus' job is to work in all areas tbh

and I only used it to keep drivers updated

And I know they would, but my point is that it's prohibitively expensive to SLI high end cards

Spoiler

Desktop:

Spoiler

Laptop:

Spoiler

Lenovo IdeaPad S540

2 minutes ago, N1ghtshade said:

Linus' job is to work in all areas tbh

and I only used it to keep drivers updated

And I know they would, but my point is that it's prohibitively expensive to SLI high end cards

oh is it?

shall I quote your shit on first page?

Just now, done12many2 said:

So many self-proclaimed experts in the LTT forums.  Misinformation in abundance.  

I don't claim to be an expert. I am simply a consumer who is frustrated with SLI and its lack of support in games

Spoiler

Desktop:

Spoiler

Laptop:

Spoiler

Lenovo IdeaPad S540

Just now, pas008 said:

oh is it?

shall I quote your shit on first page?

So you're gonna tell me $1000 for two 1080s isn't expensive?

Spoiler

Desktop:

Spoiler

Laptop:

Spoiler

Lenovo IdeaPad S540

maybe to you but some people blow that in a weekend

but still wasnt your point in first place

expensive is relative. You can spend more on GPUs. For some people, 1k is pocket change.  

I don't claim to be an expert. I am simply a consumer who is frustrated with SLI and its lack of support in games

That support is 95% on the developer. Check this out, look how bad this crossfire set up performs until you get to Sniper Elite 4, and 100damn% scaling.

That's the problem, you're placing preasure on people NOT to support it, rather than developers doing their job. 

1 minute ago, pas008 said:

maybe to you but some people blow that in a weekend

but still wasnt your point in first place

"Some people" some people isn't the average consumer, is it?

And no, it wasn't. But you're trying to tell me that putting high end cards in SLI is not expensive, and that's 100% untrue.

1 minute ago, Dackzy said:

expensive is relative. You can spend more on GPUs. For some people, 1k is pocket change.  

See my response above. "Some people" isn't most people. Most people do not have the money for 1 high end card, let alone 2

Spoiler

Desktop:

Spoiler

Laptop:

Spoiler

Lenovo IdeaPad S540