APU Build for my dad.

Go to solution Solved by genexis_x,
1 minute ago, DeadGraphics said:

Okay, my dad doesn't plan on gaming. He wants something that will be built to last a long time and that will suit his tasks. He mainly just wants to browse the internet and use iTunes.

Then the G4560 is powerful enough

Quote people so that they can reply.

Hello people of the forum! I am just checking with people who are far more knowledgeable than me about computer hardware. I am just checking that this PC will be okay for my dad's needs. I have used an APU because the pricing is great and provides some decent fire power, especially with the beefed up integrated graphics. The 1 stick of RAM may not get the full potential out of the RAM but allows the ability to add a second stick down the road. SSD for boot drive and then the 1TB hard drive for an iTunes library and other things. Please give me constructive feedback as this is the second build that I have done in my life, (however I have watched endless videos about such topics).

Link to build: https://uk.pcpartpicker.com/list/wtXFr7

Wait for new gen APU.

Desktop specs:

Spoiler

AMD Ryzen 5 5600 Thermalright Peerless Assassin 120 SE ARGB Gigabyte B550M DS3H mATX

Asrock Challenger Pro OC Radeon RX 6700 XT Corsair Vengeance LPX 16GB (8Gx2) 3600MHz CL18 Kingston NV2 1TB PCIe 4.0 NVMe SSD

Montech Century 850W Gold Tecware Nexus Air (Black) ATX Mid Tower

Laptop: Lenovo Ideapad 5 Pro 16ACH6

Phone: Xiaomi Redmi Note 10 Pro 8+128

Okay, but when do they come out as my dad's laptop isn't going to last that much longer and still keep up with his needs.

AM3 APUs are shit.

either go with a Pentium G4560 + RX 560 / 470 / 570  or something to get more power than an AM3 APU, or wait for Ryzen APUs.

QUOTE/TAG ME WHEN REPLYING

Spend As Much Time Writing Your Question As You Want Me To Spend Responding To It.

If I'm wrong, please point it out. I'm always learning & I won't bite.

Desktop:

Delidded Core i7 4770K - GTX 1070 ROG Strix - 16GB DDR3 - Lots of RGB lights I never change

Laptop:

HP Spectre X360 - i7 8560U - MX150 - 2TB SSD - 16GB DDR4

Just now, DeadGraphics said:

Okay, but when do they come out as my dad's laptop isn't going to last that much longer and still keep up with his needs.

Before 2018 if we're lucky.

QUOTE/TAG ME WHEN REPLYING

Spend As Much Time Writing Your Question As You Want Me To Spend Responding To It.

If I'm wrong, please point it out. I'm always learning & I won't bite.

Desktop:

Delidded Core i7 4770K - GTX 1070 ROG Strix - 16GB DDR3 - Lots of RGB lights I never change

Laptop:

HP Spectre X360 - i7 8560U - MX150 - 2TB SSD - 16GB DDR4

1 minute ago, RadiatingLight said:

AM3 APUs are shit.

either go with a Pentium G4560 + RX 560 / 470 / 570  or something to get more power than an AM3 APU, or wait for Ryzen APUs.

Alternatively, he can also go for the iGPU in the G4560 or get the RX 550 if his father don't plan to do gaming

Desktop specs:

Spoiler

AMD Ryzen 5 5600 Thermalright Peerless Assassin 120 SE ARGB Gigabyte B550M DS3H mATX

Asrock Challenger Pro OC Radeon RX 6700 XT Corsair Vengeance LPX 16GB (8Gx2) 3600MHz CL18 Kingston NV2 1TB PCIe 4.0 NVMe SSD

5 minutes ago, DeadGraphics said:

Hello people of the forum! I am just checking with people who are far more knowledgeable than me about computer hardware. I am just checking that this PC will be okay for my dad's needs. I have used an APU because the pricing is great and provides some decent fire power, especially with the beefed up integrated graphics. The 1 stick of RAM may not get the full potential out of the RAM but allows the ability to add a second stick down the road. SSD for boot drive and then the 1TB hard drive for an iTunes library and other things. Please give me constructive feedback as this is the second build that I have done in my life, (however I have watched endless videos about such topics).

Link to build: https://uk.pcpartpicker.com/list/wtXFr7

Before we start geeking out with higher end stuff like everyone else is doing here, what is your dad going to be doing with this computer? If he isn't just doing web browsing or something like that and you still want new components get a skylake or kabylake deletion and use the igpu on there so you have better upgradability than the a10 CPU and use like 1 2-4gb stick of ram Esther than an 8gb stick

There are no AM3 APUs.

You can get AM4 with the A12 Bristol-Ridge, with DDR4 and other stuff for around 350 bucks. Depending on what your dad does: Get a used A10-7850K. Should be more than enough for the next 3-4 Years if he does some very light strategy gaming (at least my dad does from time to time). In this config you can just switch next year for the newer ones - if at all needed. And you can get m.2 SSDs.

They run cool, they are power-efficient enough and have more than enough power. Should be able to get one for about 200. And FM2+ is not as dated as AM3, it has a lot of features, it's stable and does the job.

Good news everyone...!

Okay, my dad doesn't plan on gaming. He wants something that will be built to last a long time and that will suit his tasks. He mainly just wants to browse the internet and use iTunes.

@DeadGraphics I notice that you picked a crap PSU. I would say get at least tier 4 for lower power system or tier 3 for system with dedicated GPU from here:

Desktop specs:

Spoiler

1 minute ago, DeadGraphics said:

Desktop specs:

Spoiler

1 minute ago, ZM Fong said:

@DeadGraphics I notice that you picked a crap PSU. I would say get at least tier 4 for lower power system or tier 3 for system with dedicated GPU from here:

Okay, thanks. I will look into this.

Just now, ZM Fong said:

Okay, thanks for your feedback.

Ryzen APU will only have 8 PCIe lanes. That's probably enough?

Intel Xeon E5 1650 v3 @ 3.5GHz 6C:12T / CM212 Evo / Asus X99 Deluxe / 16GB (4x4GB) DDR4 3000 Trident-Z / Samsung 850 Pro 256GB / Intel 335 240GB / WD Red 2 & 3TB / Antec 850w / RTX 2070 / Win10 Pro x64

HP Envy X360 15: Intel Core i5 8250U @ 1.6GHz 4C:8T / 8GB DDR4 / Intel UHD620 + Nvidia GeForce MX150 4GB / Intel 120GB SSD / Win10 Pro x64

HP Envy x360 BP series Intel 8th gen

AMD ThreadRipper 2!

5820K & 6800K 3-way SLI mobo support list

48 minutes ago, RadiatingLight said:

AM3 APUs are shit.

*FM2+

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant

CPU: Intel Pentium G4560 3.5GHz Dual-Core Processor  (£51.99 @ Ebuyer) 
Motherboard: MSI H110M PRO-VD PLUS Micro ATX LGA1151 Motherboard  (£42.30 @ Novatech) 
Memory: Crucial 8GB (1 x 8GB) DDR4-2133 Memory  (£48.38 @ CCL Computers) 
Storage: ADATA Premier SP550 120GB 2.5" Solid State Drive  (£49.37 @ Amazon UK) 
Storage: Seagate BarraCuda 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive  (£37.99 @ Aria PC) 
Case: Cooler Master MasterBox Lite 3 (Windowed) MicroATX Mini Tower Case  (£41.23 @ Novatech) 
Power Supply: SeaSonic ECO 430W 80+ Bronze Certified ATX Power Supply  (£43.48 @ Amazon UK) 
Total: £314.74

More than £50 cheaper once you include the OS and optical drive. It's also a better option. You can add an RX 550 to this if you want but iGPU will be fine. With the remaining £50, you can get a larger SSD or a semi/fully modular PSU, or a better motherboard. For case, get a Corsair 88R if you don't like this CM case. 

Intel Core i7-4790k @ 4.7GHz | Asus Maximus VII Hero | NZXT Kraken X61 | 2x8GB Corsair Vengeance Pro(Red) @ 1866MHz | 2TB Seagate Barracuda | 250GB Samsung 850-EVO | 2- way SLI Asus Strix GTX 970's @ 1500MHz | EVGA 750W G2 | NZXT H440(black/red) | 3x120mm Sharkoon Shark Blade fans(red) | 3x140mm Be Quiet! Pure Wings 2 fans |

I've just had quick jaunt around on ebay.uk and ebay.com...

tbh, for me it's an absolute no brainer, to build a system in that price range. Those prebuild HP/ASUS/Lenovo Systems are as basic as it gets, but the build quality isn't bad, and they are dirt cheap. You can get one of those for £170 or $200...

Good news everyone...!