What does SLI improve and how do I OC in SLI

AnalogCanavity

So I'm going to put a GTX 1070 in SLI when vega comes out and I was wondering what would SLI improve and let's say I have an ASUS and I get a gigabyte would ASUS GPU tweak work for both cards becuase I'm confused by this and if it does will there be a drop down tab and one will say ASUS GTX 1070 and one will say gigabyte GTX 1070 and I will have to OC them separately or will they both OC the same 

"(1) High Frame Rates (2) Ultra Graphics Settings (3) Cheap>>>>Choose only two" Chevaishr

https://myanimelist.net/profile/AnalCavity

PCPartPicker URL

https://pcpartpicker.com/b/bsJ8TW 

Don't do SLI, buy a single more powerful GPU.

NEW PC build: Blank Heaven   minimalist white and black PC     Old S340 build log "White Heaven"        The "LIGHTCANON" flashlight build log        Project AntiRoll (prototype)        Custom speaker project

Spoiler

Ryzen 3950X | AMD Vega Frontier Edition | ASUS X570 Pro WS | Corsair Vengeance LPX 64GB | NZXT H500 | Seasonic Prime Fanless TX-700 | Custom loop | Coolermaster SK630 White | Logitech MX Master 2S | Samsung 980 Pro 1TB + 970 Pro 512GB | Samsung 58" 4k TV | Scarlett 2i4 | 2x AT2020

4 minutes ago, Enderman said:

Don't do SLI, buy a single more powerful GPU.

I have a feeling that he already has a 1070.

Just now, SCGazelle said:

I have a feeling that he already has a 1070.

Yeah, so he can sell it, and instead of buying a second one he uses that money for a 1080ti.

NEW PC build: Blank Heaven   minimalist white and black PC     Old S340 build log "White Heaven"        The "LIGHTCANON" flashlight build log        Project AntiRoll (prototype)        Custom speaker project

Spoiler

Ryzen 3950X | AMD Vega Frontier Edition | ASUS X570 Pro WS | Corsair Vengeance LPX 64GB | NZXT H500 | Seasonic Prime Fanless TX-700 | Custom loop | Coolermaster SK630 White | Logitech MX Master 2S | Samsung 980 Pro 1TB + 970 Pro 512GB | Samsung 58" 4k TV | Scarlett 2i4 | 2x AT2020

6 minutes ago, Zic05 said:

So I'm going to put a GTX 1070 in SLI when vega comes out and I was wondering what would SLI improve and let's say I have an ASUS and I get a gigabyte would ASUS GPU tweak work for both cards becuase I'm confused by this and if it does will there be a drop down tab and one will say ASUS GTX 1070 and one will say gigabyte GTX 1070 and I will have to OC them separately or will they both OC the same 

SLI is a slippery slope. 

SLI can improve FPS in games and programs that support it. your mileage will vary based on the game. 

you can OC them independently, but it's better to just clock the in sync. afterburner or PrecisionX will both sync lock them for you by default. 

clean installs of nVidia drivers will disable SLI everytime, so you have to re-endable it everytime.

We can't Benchmark like we used to, but we have our ways. One trick is to shove more GPUs in your computer. Like the time I needed to NV-Link, because I needed a higher HeavenBench score, so I did an SLI, which is what they called NV-Link back in the day. So, I decided to put two GPUs in my computer, which was the style at the time. Now, to add another GPU to your computer, costs a new PSU. Now in those days PSUs said OCZ on them, "Gimme 750W OCZs for an SLI" you'd say. Now where were we? Oh yeah, the important thing was that I had two GPUs in my rig, which was the style at the time! They didn't have RGB PSUs at the time, because of the war. The only thing you could get was those big green ones. 

Just get a 1080 Ti...

It isn't likely for a developers to explicitly support SLI/CF even with DX12. Hell, Ubisoft is the only AAA developer that I can think of that has done well with SLI scaling. 

Cor Caeruleus Reborn v6

Spoiler

CPU: Intel - Core i7-8700K

CPU Cooler: be quiet! - PURE ROCK 
Thermal Compound: Arctic Silver - 5 High-Density Polysynthetic Silver 3.5g Thermal Paste 
Motherboard: ASRock Z370 Extreme4
Memory: G.Skill TridentZ RGB 2x8GB 3200/14
Storage: Samsung - 850 EVO-Series 500GB 2.5" Solid State Drive 
Storage: Samsung - 960 EVO 500GB M.2-2280 Solid State Drive
Storage: Western Digital - Blue 2TB 3.5" 5400RPM Internal Hard Drive
Storage: Western Digital - BLACK SERIES 3TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive
Video Card: EVGA - 970 SSC ACX (1080 is in RMA)
Case: Fractal Design - Define R5 w/Window (Black) ATX Mid Tower Case
Power Supply: EVGA - SuperNOVA P2 750W with CableMod blue/black Pro Series
Optical Drive: LG - WH16NS40 Blu-Ray/DVD/CD Writer 
Operating System: Microsoft - Windows 10 Pro OEM 64-bit and Linux Mint Serena
Keyboard: Logitech - G910 Orion Spectrum RGB Wired Gaming Keyboard
Mouse: Logitech - G502 Wired Optical Mouse
Headphones: Logitech - G430 7.1 Channel  Headset
Speakers: Logitech - Z506 155W 5.1ch Speakers

Yeah, Nvidia seems like they are trying to go away from sli, you might as well buy a more powerful single gpu.

Its gonna overclock all the same. May effect lighting if the cards have it.

Just expect better frames and lower frame time. Great gaming overall.

Aslong as you don't play crappy games you'll be fine.

No reason to sell, no card is better then two 1070's.

Main RIg Corsair Air 540, I7 9900k, ASUS ROG Maximus XI Hero, G.Skill Ripjaws 3600 32GB, 3090FE, EVGA 1000G5, Acer Nitro XZ3 2560 x 1440@240hz 

Spare RIg Lian Li O11 AIR MINI, I7 4790K, Asus Maximus VI Extreme, G.Skill Ares 2400 32Gb, EVGA 1080ti, 1080sc 1070sc & 1060 SSC, EVGA 850GA, Acer KG251Q 1920x1080@240hz

Ok one more question

so GPU tweak doesn't OC both cards at the same time and if it doesn't MSI afterburner or PrecisionX.

"(1) High Frame Rates (2) Ultra Graphics Settings (3) Cheap>>>>Choose only two" Chevaishr

https://myanimelist.net/profile/AnalCavity

PCPartPicker URL

https://pcpartpicker.com/b/bsJ8TW 

I prefer evga myself. mainly for the overlay which is the only way I will watch my cards. You may have to uncheck the box to oc them the same and do each manually.

Main RIg Corsair Air 540, I7 9900k, ASUS ROG Maximus XI Hero, G.Skill Ripjaws 3600 32GB, 3090FE, EVGA 1000G5, Acer Nitro XZ3 2560 x 1440@240hz 

Spare RIg Lian Li O11 AIR MINI, I7 4790K, Asus Maximus VI Extreme, G.Skill Ares 2400 32Gb, EVGA 1080ti, 1080sc 1070sc & 1060 SSC, EVGA 850GA, Acer KG251Q 1920x1080@240hz

3 minutes ago, Zic05 said:

Ok one more question

so GPU tweak doesn't OC both cards at the same time and if it doesn't MSI afterburner or PrecisionX.

You need to apply the same overclock and get them each stable.

Cor Caeruleus Reborn v6

Spoiler

CPU: Intel - Core i7-8700K

CPU Cooler: be quiet! - PURE ROCK 
Thermal Compound: Arctic Silver - 5 High-Density Polysynthetic Silver 3.5g Thermal Paste 
Motherboard: ASRock Z370 Extreme4
Memory: G.Skill TridentZ RGB 2x8GB 3200/14
Storage: Samsung - 850 EVO-Series 500GB 2.5" Solid State Drive 
Storage: Samsung - 960 EVO 500GB M.2-2280 Solid State Drive
Storage: Western Digital - Blue 2TB 3.5" 5400RPM Internal Hard Drive
Storage: Western Digital - BLACK SERIES 3TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive
Video Card: EVGA - 970 SSC ACX (1080 is in RMA)
Case: Fractal Design - Define R5 w/Window (Black) ATX Mid Tower Case
Power Supply: EVGA - SuperNOVA P2 750W with CableMod blue/black Pro Series
Optical Drive: LG - WH16NS40 Blu-Ray/DVD/CD Writer 
Operating System: Microsoft - Windows 10 Pro OEM 64-bit and Linux Mint Serena
Keyboard: Logitech - G910 Orion Spectrum RGB Wired Gaming Keyboard
Mouse: Logitech - G502 Wired Optical Mouse
Headphones: Logitech - G430 7.1 Channel  Headset
Speakers: Logitech - Z506 155W 5.1ch Speakers

Jesus Christ this thread is a cess pool of... well what cess pools are usually full of

A 1080 Ti is much more expensive than another 1070, so don't bother suggesting that unless you're going to pay OP to have it yourself.

SLI allows you to link two graphics cards together and they each then take turns to render a frame in your games. It allows you to increase framerate, or improve graphics settings to get the same framerate. Or somewhere in between.

SLI is supported by... pretty much everything. There are a few examples of games that don't utilise it, or don't utilise it very well but I can count the games I've played that haven't on one hand in the last 6 years of using it.

I use MSI Afterburner to OC them. You can overclock them separate, but the default is to OC together. AFAIK OCing them separately will lock them together at the lowest OC when you're in-game anyway.

1 hour ago, VioDuskar said:

SLI is a slippery slope. 

SLI can improve FPS in games and programs that support it. your mileage will vary based on the game. 

you can OC them independently, but it's better to just clock the in sync. afterburner or PrecisionX will both sync lock them for you by default. 

clean installs of nVidia drivers will disable SLI everytime, so you have to re-endable it everytime.

"Slippery slope" is a fallacy when it does make contextual sense... did you mean a different phrase? What does SLI lead to, murder?

And that thing about being reset in driver updates hasn't been true for a couple of years.

See this is why there's so much bullshit spread around about SLI. People tried it like 8 years ago and assume it's the same now as it was then.

If you really need to oc, find out what they are stable at separately then run them at the lowest speed.

1 hour ago, othertomperson said:

"Slippery slope" is a fallacy when it does make contextual sense... did you mean a different phrase? What does SLI lead to, murder?

it leads to tears and no wallet.

IT DOES reset your configuration in the nVidia control panel, and disables SLI when you do a CLEAN install. 

my last rig was SLI gtx980s. 

I would know. I didn't try it 8 years ago, i tried it 8 weeks ago. 

We can't Benchmark like we used to, but we have our ways. One trick is to shove more GPUs in your computer. Like the time I needed to NV-Link, because I needed a higher HeavenBench score, so I did an SLI, which is what they called NV-Link back in the day. So, I decided to put two GPUs in my computer, which was the style at the time. Now, to add another GPU to your computer, costs a new PSU. Now in those days PSUs said OCZ on them, "Gimme 750W OCZs for an SLI" you'd say. Now where were we? Oh yeah, the important thing was that I had two GPUs in my rig, which was the style at the time! They didn't have RGB PSUs at the time, because of the war. The only thing you could get was those big green ones. 

SLI is awesome as long as you can keep both cards cool. Idealy you water cool. Which ASUS 1070 do you have?

If anyone asks you never saw me.

1 hour ago, Zic05 said:

So I'll think I'll use MSI after burner and it will OC both cards at the same time right

yes. SLI is worth it sometimes, but it does have a higher cost and sometimes it isn't as cost effective, but it your case it could be worth it for you. 

2 minutes ago, App4that said:

SLI is awesome as long as you can keep both cards cool. Idealy you water cool. Which ASUS 1070 do you have?

you do not have to watercool. many people SLI without watercooling the GPU. that's even more expensive.

here comes that slippery slope, money slideing out of the wallet faster and faster. 

why don't we just triple or quad SLI? I guess i need to get more waterblocks! hell, might as well use hard tubing! or better yet, copper!

let's fill it with mercury while we're at it!

slippery slope. 

Just now, VioDuskar said:

you do not have to watercool. many people SLI without watercooling the GPU. that's even more expensive.

here comes that slippery slope, money slideing out of the wallet faster and faster. 

why don't we just triple or quad SLI? I guess i need to get more waterblocks! hell, might as well use hard tubing! or better yet, copper!

slippery slope. 

Na braw. If they have a FE PCB then a AIO works. That what I use. But my main concern is the slots the card uses. Any 2.5 or 3 slot card will cause the top card to starve for air on a lot of boards. If they have a 2.5 or bigger cooler, the board in use is the next question.

Selling used is horible advice as you're now liable for what someone does to your old hardware. I wouldn't sell anything used again until the protection comes back for the seller. That makes SLI an excellent option. 

If anyone asks you never saw me.

Or just be smart and get blower cards and just enjoy.

51 minutes ago, VioDuskar said:

it leads to tears and no wallet.

IT DOES reset your configuration in the nVidia control panel, and disables SLI when you do a CLEAN install. 

my last rig was SLI gtx980s. 

I would know. I didn't try it 8 years ago, i tried it 8 weeks ago. 

My current rig is SLI, it doesn't do this anymore.

21 minutes ago, VioDuskar said:

slippery slope. 

Again with the outdated arguments -- quad and tri SLI don't even exist any more, because of how badly they were used before.

Just now, othertomperson said:

My current rig is SLI, it doesn't do this anymore.

since when? do you select clean install with every driver update?

4 minutes ago, VioDuskar said:

Yeah. Blame bad experiences with upgrading anything in the past... usually OSes... and not just Windows either

I mean of all the issues to fix, they could have like made SLI a usable thing on Linux, I would have preferred that, but whatever.

On the subject of cooling, it might be more of an issue now with GPUboost 3.0 which is very aggressive in what overclock it will allow you (it starts "throttling" around 50 Celsius), but I've never had any problems with heat with open air coolers, and one of those was with 580s. As long as your general case airflow is good, it doesn't matter that much.

1 hour ago, VioDuskar said:

You should wipe with DDU every driver update anyway, if you care about utter stability.

We have a NEW and GLORIOUSER-ER-ER PSU Tier List Now. (dammit @LukeSavenije stop coming up with new ones)

You can check out the old one that gave joy to so many across the land here

Computer having a hard time powering on? Troubleshoot it with this guide. (Currently looking for suggestions to update it into the context of <current year> and make it its own thread)

Computer Specs:

Spoiler

Mathresolvermajig: Intel Xeon E3 1240 (Sandy Bridge i7 equivalent)

Chillinmachine: Noctua NH-C14S
Framepainting-inator: EVGA GTX 1080 Ti SC2 Hybrid

Attachcorethingy: Gigabyte H61M-S2V-B3

Infoholdstick: Corsair 2x4GB DDR3 1333

Computerarmor: Silverstone RL06 "Lookalike"

Rememberdoogle: 1TB HDD + 120GB TR150 + 240 SSD Plus + 1TB MX500

AdditionalPylons: Phanteks AMP! 550W (based on Seasonic GX-550)

Letterpad: Rosewill Apollo 9100 (Cherry MX Red)

Buttonrodent: Razer Viper Mini + Huion H430P drawing Tablet

Auralnterface: Sennheiser HD 6xx

Liquidrectangles: LG 27UK850-W 4K HDR