Stopped liking US comedies.

FIXXX

I used to like US comedies, it was a part of my balanced TV diet. I mean the ones from 2000-onward.

Intentionally left Arrested Development, Community, The Office, Curb Your Enthusiasm etc - unwatched just to binge when I need it. When I got to them .. well it was boring, it was as if they were made just for the people that were making them and not in a good way. As if they were told forever that everything they make is a masterpiece. 

I'm watching UK comedy series now, the ones from the 80's and 90's (As Time Goes By, Dinnerladies, Are you being served, Keeping up appearances, Waiting for God, Still Game, The Two Ronnies, etc) This is what I wanted US comedy to be, but it isn't and i'm disappointed. 

CPU R7 1700    Motherboard Asus Prime X370 Pro  RAM  24GB Corsair LPX 3000 (at 2933Mhz)    GPU EVGA GTX1070 SC  Case Phanteks Enthoo Pro M    

Storage 1 x 1TB m.2, 1x 500GB SSD, 1x 1TB HDD, 1x 8TB HDD  PSU Corsair RM1000  Cooling Thermalright Macho Rev B (tower)

Synology NAS 1 x 4TB 1 x 8TB

Can't understand lol. And should this be off topic? 

This is more off topic/status update....

Can it be moved?
The section was "General Discussion" so .. seemed like a decent place to trigger a discussion ^^

CPU R7 1700    Motherboard Asus Prime X370 Pro  RAM  24GB Corsair LPX 3000 (at 2933Mhz)    GPU EVGA GTX1070 SC  Case Phanteks Enthoo Pro M    

Storage 1 x 1TB m.2, 1x 500GB SSD, 1x 1TB HDD, 1x 8TB HDD  PSU Corsair RM1000  Cooling Thermalright Macho Rev B (tower)

1 minute ago, FIXXX said:

The section was "General Discussion" so .. seemed like a decent place to trigger a discussion ^^

General Discussion.... That pertains to Computers/Tech in general. Otherwise it's Off-Topic.

CPU: AMD Ryzen 3700x / GPU: Asus Radeon RX 6750XT OC 12GB / RAM: Corsair Vengeance LPX 2x8GB DDR4-3200
MOBO: MSI B450m Gaming Plus / NVME: Corsair MP510 240GB / Case: TT Core v21 / PSU: Seasonic 750W / OS: Win 10 Pro

Thanks for moving ;)

I don't get why this is here. Should be a status update.

The geek himself.

You guys are so mean :( Instead of moving the thought at least a bit you just sweep it away. *panda cry*

24 minutes ago, FIXXX said:

You guys are so mean :( Instead of moving the thought at least a bit you just sweep it away. *panda cry*

Well, you should try to clarify your OP, and elaborate more in such a manner that promotes discussion.

Frankly, I think Arrested Development to be highly overrated, and I wasn't a big fan of the little I saw of Curb Your Enthusiasm.

I also find The Office to be particularly painful - one or two episodes is fine? Binge watching that shit? God no. So boring, so quickly.

You just need to try more American Comedies. Check out Family Guy, Modern Family, How I Met Your Mother, Friends (old classic), Seinfeld (same), etc.

For Sale: Meraki Bundle

iPhone Xr 128 GB Product Red - HP Spectre x360 13" (i5 - 8 GB RAM - 256 GB SSD) - HP ZBook 15v G5 15" (i7-8850H - 16 GB RAM - 512 GB SSD - NVIDIA Quadro P600)

2 minutes ago, dalekphalm said:

Well, you should try to clarify your OP, and elaborate more in such a manner that promotes discussion.

Frankly, I think Arrested Development to be highly overrated, and I wasn't a big fan of the little I saw of Curb Your Enthusiasm.

I also find The Office to be particularly painful - one or two episodes is fine? Binge watching that shit? God no. So boring, so quickly.

You just need to try more American Comedies. Check out Family Guy, Modern Family, How I Met Your Mother, Friends (old classic), Seinfeld (same), etc.

Thank you for the opinions on those shows. Feels better knowing i'm not alone :)

I did watch Family Guy for quite a while - but eventually reached a saturation point.

Did finish Seinfeld - had to, it's a culture piece needed to understand the zeitgeist.

Making a note to watch Modern Family and HIMYM, thanks!

15 minutes ago, FIXXX said:

Thank you for the opinions on those shows. Feels better knowing i'm not alone :)

I did watch Family Guy for quite a while - but eventually reached a saturation point.

Did finish Seinfeld - had to, it's a culture piece needed to understand the zeitgeist.

Making a note to watch Modern Family and HIMYM, thanks!

Just a note, HIMYM can drag on a bit - it is like 9 seasons long after all. But it's still got some really solid stuff in there.

iPhone Xr 128 GB Product Red - HP Spectre x360 13" (i5 - 8 GB RAM - 256 GB SSD) - HP ZBook 15v G5 15" (i7-8850H - 16 GB RAM - 512 GB SSD - NVIDIA Quadro P600)

7 minutes ago, dalekphalm said:

Just a note, HIMYM can drag on a bit - it is like 9 seasons long after all. But it's still got some really solid stuff in there.

Ill limit myself to 1-3 episodes per week.

I was able to watch all the Star Trek series' (~700 episodes) by rationing it so the length is no problem.

Frasier is a good US comedy.

. -------------------------------------------------------------------.        
        | [Esc] [F1][F2][F3][F4][F5][F6][F7][F8][F9][F0][F10][F11][F12] o o o|        
        |                                                                    |        
        | [`][1][2][3][4][5][6][7][8][9][0][-][=][_<_] [I][H][U] [N][/][*][-]|        
        | [|-][Q][W][E][R][T][Y][U][I][O][P][{][}]|  | [D][E][D] [7][8][9]|+||        
        | [CAP][A][S][D][F][G][H][J][K][L][;]['][#]|_|           [4][5][6]|_||        
        | [^][\][Z][X][C][V][B][N][M][,][.][/] [__^__]    [^]    [1][2][3]| ||        
        | [c]   [a][________________________][a]   [c] [<][V][>] [ 0  ][.]|_||        
        `--------------------------------------------------------------------'       

5 hours ago, dalekphalm said:

Season 8 and 9 feel like somewhat of a drag, but it's really good.

5 hours ago, FIXXX said:

Ill limit myself to 1-3 episodes per week.

I was able to watch all the Star Trek series' (~700 episodes) by rationing it so the length is no problem.

I'm currently watching arrested development and think it's only meh. I way more enjoyed HIMYM and also Modern Family.

"We're all in this together, might as well be friends" Tom, Toonami.

mini eLiXiVy: my open source 65% mechanical PCB, a build log, PCB anatomy and discussing open source licenses: https://linustechtips.com/topic/1366493-elixivy-a-65-mechanical-keyboard-build-log-pcb-anatomy-and-how-i-open-sourced-this-project/

mini_cardboard: a 4% keyboard build log and how keyboards workhttps://linustechtips.com/topic/1328547-mini_cardboard-a-4-keyboard-build-log-and-how-keyboards-work/

2.5 men, the child actor went Christian on the series, I guess he took a blind eye to it because of the money he was making.

2 hours ago, LAwLz said:

I see rick and morty memes here and there. Considering it.

Did watch Archer, Brooklyn Nine-Nine (seen the rest except Community) a few years back :)

I would happily watch Parks & Rec again, that was a fun series. I liked Community but that was only for the first 2 seasons, it started dying through the second and I just dropped it.

Main PC CPU: 7700K, MOBO: Asus Strix, GPU: Aorus Extreme 3080, PSU: EVGA Supernova G2 750, RAM: Corsair Vengeance 16GB Storage: 970 Evo 1tb

Lounge PC CPU: 4790K MOBO: Asus Hero VII GPU: EVGA 3060 Ti PSU: Corsair RM650 RAM: Kingston HyperX 16gb Storage: 970 Evo 1TB

6 minutes ago, FIXXX said:

I see rick and morty memes here and there. Considering it.

Did watch Archer, Brooklyn Nine-Nine (seen the rest except Community) a few years back :)

I haven't seen the last couple of season of Archer but maybe you should pick that back up?

Brooklyn Nine-Nine has a new season and it's pretty good so far.

Community is amazing. You have to see it.

Rick and Morty is my favorite comedy show right now. Made by the same guy who made Community. It is fantastic too.

10 hours ago, FIXXX said:

I mean the ones from 2000-onward.

Intentionally left Arrested Development, Community, The Office, Curb Your Enthusiasm etc - unwatched just to binge when I need it. When I got to them .. well it was boring, it was as if they were made just for the people that were making them and not in a good way. 

Those are 'trendy' shows that are forced down our throats and have douchebag political messages etc. Only assholes watch those.

For some reason I've found that the best American comedy is found in cartoons.

Shows like Daria, Metalocalypse, Archer, South Park, FuturamaRegular Show and BoJack Horseman are all pretty funny. 

However, for some reason I could never get into the newer Adult Swim cartoons like Rick and Morty. I watched the first two seasons and had very few laughes. 

For my sitcoms and sketch shows I always prefered the British offerings. Shows like Monty Python's Flying Circus, Bottom, The Young Ones, Little Britain, Fawlty Towers and Blackadder are all briliant. 

Most American sitcoms just seem to play it too safe. The only American sitcoms I've been able to thoroughly enjoy have been Modern Family, Married with Children and Seinfeld.

I can also enjoy shows like Parks and Recreation, Trailerpark Boys and The Boondocks if I only watch one or two episodes in a row. More than that and I begin to question my own sanity.

An Australian show like Summer Heights High was also briliant and was cut way too short.

Nova doctrina terribilis sit perdere

Audio format guides: Vinyl records | Cassette tapes

@Volbet I agree, I love the boondocks and the monty python stuff although noone has mentioned black dynamite, probably my second favorite comedy series next to the boondocks

Long live Stalin, he loves you; sing these words, or you know what he’ll do!

10 hours ago, Olli399 said:

Frasier is a good US comedy.

Frasier was pure gold.

Personal Desktop":

CPU: Intel Core i7 10700K @5ghz |~| Cooling: bq! Dark Rock Pro 4 |~| MOBO: Gigabyte Z490UD ATX|~| RAM: 16gb DDR4 3333mhzCL16 G.Skill Trident Z |~| GPU: RX 6900XT Sapphire Nitro+ |~| PSU: Corsair TX650M 80Plus Gold |~| Boot:  SSD WD Green M.2 2280 240GB |~| Storage: 1x3TB HDD 7200rpm Seagate Barracuda + SanDisk Ultra 3D 1TB |~| Case: Fractal Design Meshify C Mini |~| Display: Toshiba UL7A 4K/60hz |~| OS: Windows 10 Pro.

Luna, the temporary Desktop:

CPU: AMD R9 7950XT  |~| Cooling: bq! Dark Rock 4 Pro |~| MOBO: Gigabyte Aorus Master |~| RAM: 32G Kingston HyperX |~| GPU: AMD Radeon RX 7900XTX (Reference) |~| PSU: Corsair HX1000 80+ Platinum |~| Windows Boot Drive: 2x 512GB (1TB total) Plextor SATA SSD (RAID0 volume) |~| Linux Boot Drive: 500GB Kingston A2000 |~| Storage: 4TB WD Black HDD |~| Case: Cooler Master Silencio S600 |~| Display 1 (leftmost): Eizo (unknown model) 1920x1080 IPS @ 60Hz|~| Display 2 (center): BenQ ZOWIE XL2540 1920x1080 TN @ 240Hz |~| Display 3 (rightmost): Wacom Cintiq Pro 24 3840x2160 IPS @ 60Hz 10-bit |~| OS: Windows 10 Pro (games / art) + Linux (distro: NixOS; programming and daily driver)

41 minutes ago, Princess Cadence said:

Frasier was pure gold.

Did watch that one for a while. Wasn't bad, but you had to stick for at least 2-3 of the first episodes to appreciate.

5 hours ago, LAwLz said:

I gotta agree with Archer and Brooklyn 99 - Brooklyn was goddamn hilarious. Terry Crews is just delightful in it.