Friend tried to reformat his PC.

cdominic3

I'll preface this a little bit.

My friend and I have been trying to rebuild his PC the past couple of weeks. He currently has:

Intel Core i7 4790

ASUS H81M-C

8GB DDR3-1600 Value RAM

AMD Radeon HD 7750 2GB

500GB HDD

Powerlogic 700W PSU

Cheap ass case

We're currently in the process of replacing his motherboard -- nothing wrong with his board, he just wants it to be aesthetically pleasing (against my will, because he wants a Z97 board on a locked CPU, anyway...). These are the new parts that we have:

MSI Z97 Pro Gamer

16GB DDR3-1600 Crucial Ballistix Tracer LED RAM

ASUS Strix GTX 1060 6GB

EVGA 650 BQ

NZXT Kraken X62

Thermaltake P3

Now that he's had all the parts, I've told him to reformat his C:\ partition just so he has a clean install of Windows and not have to go through the trouble of uninstalling old motherboard drivers and GPU drivers. Now, I live in the US and he lives in the Philippines and we've been doing all of the rebuild remotely. I've guided him what to do and so far he's been able to do a fairly well job, until this...

17797288_1270046829717883_990569917_o.png.50f01fb3b354540266ef0a73a4b99e18.png

Dude tried to "right-click" reformat his hard drive. It was an honest mistake, but I haven't laughed this hard in a while. Granted, it was probably my fault not being more specific on how you actually reformat your boot drive, but I had thought that he'd be able to do it.

Hope you guys have a good laugh early in the morning too.

Cheers!

Just reinstall windows after backing up what you can't lose? format it once you boot from the .iso from the pendrive.

Personal Desktop":

CPU: Intel Core i7 10700K @5ghz |~| Cooling: bq! Dark Rock Pro 4 |~| MOBO: Gigabyte Z490UD ATX|~| RAM: 16gb DDR4 3333mhzCL16 G.Skill Trident Z |~| GPU: RX 6900XT Sapphire Nitro+ |~| PSU: Corsair TX650M 80Plus Gold |~| Boot:  SSD WD Green M.2 2280 240GB |~| Storage: 1x3TB HDD 7200rpm Seagate Barracuda + SanDisk Ultra 3D 1TB |~| Case: Fractal Design Meshify C Mini |~| Display: Toshiba UL7A 4K/60hz |~| OS: Windows 10 Pro.

Luna, the temporary Desktop:

CPU: AMD R9 7950XT  |~| Cooling: bq! Dark Rock 4 Pro |~| MOBO: Gigabyte Aorus Master |~| RAM: 32G Kingston HyperX |~| GPU: AMD Radeon RX 7900XTX (Reference) |~| PSU: Corsair HX1000 80+ Platinum |~| Windows Boot Drive: 2x 512GB (1TB total) Plextor SATA SSD (RAID0 volume) |~| Linux Boot Drive: 500GB Kingston A2000 |~| Storage: 4TB WD Black HDD |~| Case: Cooler Master Silencio S600 |~| Display 1 (leftmost): Eizo (unknown model) 1920x1080 IPS @ 60Hz|~| Display 2 (center): BenQ ZOWIE XL2540 1920x1080 TN @ 240Hz |~| Display 3 (rightmost): Wacom Cintiq Pro 24 3840x2160 IPS @ 60Hz 10-bit |~| OS: Windows 10 Pro (games / art) + Linux (distro: NixOS; programming and daily driver)

Just now, Princess Cadence said:

Just reinstall windows after backing up what you can't lose? format it once you boot from the .iso from the pendrive.

We're moving him from Win8 to Win7

Just now, cdominic3 said:

Why? just install win10 and put classic shell on it.

Personal Desktop":

CPU: Intel Core i7 10700K @5ghz |~| Cooling: bq! Dark Rock Pro 4 |~| MOBO: Gigabyte Z490UD ATX|~| RAM: 16gb DDR4 3333mhzCL16 G.Skill Trident Z |~| GPU: RX 6900XT Sapphire Nitro+ |~| PSU: Corsair TX650M 80Plus Gold |~| Boot:  SSD WD Green M.2 2280 240GB |~| Storage: 1x3TB HDD 7200rpm Seagate Barracuda + SanDisk Ultra 3D 1TB |~| Case: Fractal Design Meshify C Mini |~| Display: Toshiba UL7A 4K/60hz |~| OS: Windows 10 Pro.

Luna, the temporary Desktop:

CPU: AMD R9 7950XT  |~| Cooling: bq! Dark Rock 4 Pro |~| MOBO: Gigabyte Aorus Master |~| RAM: 32G Kingston HyperX |~| GPU: AMD Radeon RX 7900XTX (Reference) |~| PSU: Corsair HX1000 80+ Platinum |~| Windows Boot Drive: 2x 512GB (1TB total) Plextor SATA SSD (RAID0 volume) |~| Linux Boot Drive: 500GB Kingston A2000 |~| Storage: 4TB WD Black HDD |~| Case: Cooler Master Silencio S600 |~| Display 1 (leftmost): Eizo (unknown model) 1920x1080 IPS @ 60Hz|~| Display 2 (center): BenQ ZOWIE XL2540 1920x1080 TN @ 240Hz |~| Display 3 (rightmost): Wacom Cintiq Pro 24 3840x2160 IPS @ 60Hz 10-bit |~| OS: Windows 10 Pro (games / art) + Linux (distro: NixOS; programming and daily driver)

Just now, Princess Cadence said:

Nice joke.

2 hours ago, cdominic3 said:

You actually bought a Windows 7 license when you had Windows 8 already?

As others have said, just upgrading to Windows 10 would have been ideal - but if you're stuck on avoiding Windows 10 "spying", etc, you should just keep Windows 8 (upgrade to 8.1) and install Classic Start by Classic Shell.

You get the start menu, but you get the backend improvements of Windows 8 (The file transfer component is alone worth the upgrade, IMO).

2 hours ago, Princess Cadence said:

Keep in mind that Windows 10 no longer offers a free upgrade. Yes, you can install it and run it unactivated. But that's not ideal. Better than buying a grey market key from Kinguin or G2A mind you, but only marginally.

For Sale: Meraki Bundle

iPhone Xr 128 GB Product Red - HP Spectre x360 13" (i5 - 8 GB RAM - 256 GB SSD) - HP ZBook 15v G5 15" (i7-8850H - 16 GB RAM - 512 GB SSD - NVIDIA Quadro P600)

2 hours ago, cdominic3 said:

why? it's not like win7 is going to be supported much longer with current parctices of microsoft and other companies, that being said all the crap they pull on win 10 and can be opted out from is the same as win 7, although you want have the choice there.

May the light have your back and your ISO low.

21 minutes ago, Bsmith said:

why? it's not like win7 is going to be supported much longer with current parctices of microsoft and other companies, that being said all the crap they pull on win 10 and can be opted out from is the same as win 7, although you want have the choice there.

To be fair, Windows 7 does have another 3 years of Support, until 2020. That's clearly stated, and EXTREMELY UNLIKELY to change.

I don't ever recall a time where Microsoft has reduced the Extended Support end-date for an OS before. So Windows 7 will continue to get bug and security patches until that time.

iPhone Xr 128 GB Product Red - HP Spectre x360 13" (i5 - 8 GB RAM - 256 GB SSD) - HP ZBook 15v G5 15" (i7-8850H - 16 GB RAM - 512 GB SSD - NVIDIA Quadro P600)

3 minutes ago, dalekphalm said:

To be fair, Windows 7 does have another 3 years of Support, until 2020. That's clearly stated, and EXTREMELY UNLIKELY to change.

I don't ever recall a time where Microsoft has reduced the Extended Support end-date for an OS before. So Windows 7 will continue to get bug and security patches until that time.

yes software side, but how about hardware side? I mean ryzen doesn't always work with win 7 and neither does the current intel line up, I wouldn't be surprised if Nvidea also goes that route. I know that it might still work, but everything (hardware wise) coming up is going to be win 10 optimized mostly/only, so going win 7 is basically shooting yourself in the foot at this time.

May the light have your back and your ISO low.

5 minutes ago, Bsmith said:

yes software side, but how about hardware side? I mean ryzen doesn't always work with win 7 and neither does the current intel line up, I wouldn't be surprised if Nvidea also goes that route. I know that it might still work, but everything (hardware wise) coming up is going to be win 10 optimized mostly/only, so going win 7 is basically shooting yourself in the foot at this time.

Very true. But the OP is running Haswell.

If they were upgrading their entire PC, including CPU and Motherboard to Skylake or KabyLake, I'd give this a higher weight.

Also, no, I don't think NVIDIA will follow suit anytime soon. Not until Windows 7 ends Extended Support at least.

Eg: NVIDIA still supported Windows XP well into 2013 (and probably a few years past that).

A world without walls needs no windows 

Corsair 4000D RGB

Asus B550 Tuf Gaming II

Asus 7700XT Tuf Gaming

AMD 5600x3d

32gb 3200mhz gskil 

4 minutes ago, cdominic3 said:

WTH why did this turn into a Win7 post. Jesus Christ.

In part: Curiosity, since it seemed like a very strange thing to do (To move from Windows 8 down to 7, when you can pretty much make Win 8 look and operate like 7)

Assuming you already had both licenses on hand? No worries - forget anyone mentioned it and do what you want. I just hope you didn't buy a Windows 7 license just for that :P

53 minutes ago, dalekphalm said:

In part: Curiosity, since it seemed like a very strange thing to do (To move from Windows 8 down to 7, when you can pretty much make Win 8 look and operate like 7)

Assuming you already had both licenses on hand? No worries - forget anyone mentioned it and do what you want. I just hope you didn't buy a Windows 7 license just for that :P

We have a butt ton of Win keys. Dad works as senior IT for Unilever ?

16 hours ago, cdominic3 said:

My friend and I have been trying to rebuild his PC the past couple of weeks.

Well it should take a full day to complete that task if you are doing it for the first time, unless you are saving up and piecing it together. For a second timer onward, it should take a few hours to an hour.

9 hours ago, yathis said:

Well it should take a full day to complete that task if you are doing it for the first time, unless you are saving up and piecing it together. For a second timer onward, it should take a few hours to an hour.

We've been buying parts piece by piece

On 4/3/2017 at 10:46 AM, dalekphalm said:

Keep in mind that Windows 10 no longer offers a free upgrade. Yes, you can install it and run it unactivated. But that's not ideal. Better than buying a grey market key from Kinguin or G2A mind you, but only marginally.

for a long time there was still a way to do it for the disabled features did they finally take that out? 

Good luck, Have fun, Build PC, and have a last gen console for use once a year. I should answer most of the time between 9 to 3 PST

NightHawk 3.0: R7 5700x @, B550A vision D, H105, 2x32gb Oloy 3600, Sapphire RX 6700XT  Nitro+, Corsair RM750X, 500 gb 850 evo, 2tb rocket and 5tb Toshiba x300, 2x 6TB WD Black W10 all in a 750D airflow.
GF PC: (nighthawk 2.0): R7 2700x, B450m vision D, 4x8gb Geli 2933, Strix GTX970, CX650M RGB, Obsidian 350D

Skunkworks: R5 3500U, 16gb, 500gb Adata XPG 6000 lite, Vega 8. HP probook G455R G6 Ubuntu 20. LTS

Condor (MC server): 6600K, z170m plus, 16gb corsair vengeance LPX, samsung 750 evo, EVGA BR 450.

Spirt  (NAS) ASUS Z9PR-D12, 2x E5 2620V2, 8x4gb, 24 3tb HDD. F80 800gb cache, trueNAS, 2x12disk raid Z3 stripped

PSU Tier List      Motherboard Tier List     SSD Tier List     How to get PC parts cheap    HP probook 445R G6 review

"Stupidity is like trying to find a limit of a constant. You are never truly smart in something, just less stupid."

Camera Gear: X-S10, 16-80 F4, 60D, 24-105 F4, 50mm F1.4, Helios44-m, 2 Cos-11D lavs

On 4/3/2017 at 0:46 PM, dalekphalm said:

Officially, you're right.  Realistically, you're wrong.  I work at a computer store, and we can still to this day install Windows 10 and activate with a customer's Windows 7 or 8/8.1 key.  They still permit it, even if they claim otherwise.

2 hours ago, Jito463 said:

Officially, you're right.  Realistically, you're wrong.  I work at a computer store, and we can still to this day install Windows 10 and activate with a customer's Windows 7 or 8/8.1 key.  They still permit it, even if they claim otherwise.

I can confirm this. My dad gives me Win7 keys whenever I want to install Win10 keys on a friend's PC.

13 hours ago, Jito463 said:

lol kind of defeats the purpose of an activation server and limited time free upgrade if you can still activate after the upgrade period ends.

Good job Microsoft. /s

On 4/3/2017 at 1:46 PM, dalekphalm said:

*snip* 

but if you're stuck on avoiding Windows 10 "spying", etc, you should just keep Windows 8 (upgrade to 8.1) and install Classic Start by Classic Shell. 

*snip*

Actually, MS pushed security updates on Windows 7 and 8.1 to add all the telemetry on these OS, so it's not just Windows 10 ;)

If you need help with your forum account, please use the Forum Support form !

6 minutes ago, wkdpaul said:

Actually, MS pushed security updates on Windows 7 and 8.1 to add all the telemetry on these OS, so it's not just Windows 10 ;)

I like how some people still believe that it's impossible for Microsoft to push those to 7 or 8/8.1 via Windows Update. I had a feeling from day one that if Microsoft had the intent to include that stuff to Windows 10, it was coming to their other supported OSes.

When the latest "non-spying" version of Windows is Vista. :P

Intel® Core™ i7-12700 | GIGABYTE B660 AORUS MASTER DDR4 | Gigabyte Radeon™ RX 6650 XT Gaming OC | 32GB Corsair Vengeance® RGB Pro SL DDR4 | Samsung 990 Pro 1TB | WD Green 1.5TB | Windows 11 Pro | NZXT H510 Flow White
Sony MDR-V250 | GNT-500 | Logitech G610 Orion Brown | Logitech G402 | Samsung C27JG5 | ASUS ProArt PA238QR
iPhone 12 Mini (iOS 17.2.1) | iPhone XR (iOS 17.2.1) | iPad Mini (iOS 9.3.5) | KZ AZ09 Pro x KZ ZSN Pro X | Sennheiser HD450bt
Intel® Core™ i7-1265U | Kioxia KBG50ZNV512G | 16GB DDR4 | Windows 11 Enterprise | HP EliteBook 650 G9
Intel® Core™ i5-8520U | WD Blue M.2 250GB | 1TB Seagate FireCuda | 16GB DDR4 | Windows 11 Home | ASUS Vivobook 15 
Intel® Core™ i7-3520M | GT 630M | 16 GB Corsair Vengeance® DDR3 |
Samsung 850 EVO 250GB | macOS Catalina | Lenovo IdeaPad P580

1 minute ago, BlueChinchillaEatingDorito said:

I like how some people still believe that it's impossible for Microsoft to push those to 7 or 8/8.1 via Windows Update. I had a feeling from day one that if Microsoft had the intent to include that stuff to Windows 10, it was coming to their other supported OSes.

When the latest "non-spying" version of Windows is Vista. :P

Yeah, if you look up tutorials to remove it, you'll be surprised at the amount of updates, around 12 if I remember right and those are the one you can uninstall, I can't imagine what they insert into the Service Packs! (don't know if they do but I wouldn't be surprised if they did).

If you need help with your forum account, please use the Forum Support form !