Mantle Demo, AMD CPU Performance.

MbV93

And if you halve the clock-speed of the CPU that ran at about 50% beforehand and the game is still not CPU bound?

Yes, but that's the thing, What game are they testing. That Tweet say's absolutely nothing at all. Some very very very generic information that means nothing

Sager NP9370EM - I7 3630QM - 680m 1045Mhz - 8gb 1600mhz ram - 240gb msata 750gb hdd

I reeeeeeeealy hope that the improvements are as good as this guy says they are. For AMD, this really is a hit or miss with Mantle. If it hits, it'll hit hard. If it misses, it'll be very bad for AMD to say the least.

I still want hard numbers and graphs though, but those tweets make Mantle seem very promising.

I have faith in you AMD.

<3

COMIC SANS

Yes, but that's the thing, What game are they testing. That Tweet say's absolutely nothing at all. Some very very very generic information that means nothing

Think they demo-ed BF4 with Mantle at APU13, and an under-development game running on the Oxide game engine.

Intel i7 5820K (4.5 GHz) | MSI X99A MPower | 32 GB Kingston HyperX Fury 2666MHz | Asus RoG STRIX GTX 1080ti OC | Samsung 951 m.2 nVME 512GB | Crucial MX200 1000GB | Western Digital Caviar Black 2000GB | Noctua NH-D15 | Fractal Define R5 | Seasonic 860 Platinum | Logitech G910 | Sennheiser 599 | Blue Yeti | Logitech G502

Nikon D500 | Nikon 300mm f/4 PF  | Nikon 200-500 f/5.6 | Nikon 50mm f/1.8 | Tamron 70-210 f/4 VCII | Sigma 10-20 f/3.5 | Nikon 17-55 f/2.8 | Tamron 90mm F2.8 SP Di VC USD Macro | Neewer 750II

Makes me believe less and less at this API when they can't release early numbers. I'm sure they are going to compare 290x and Titan (because of the price) and say hey look it beats titan by this much, when the 780ti could beat it. 

I'm not a fan boy (kinda) but I hate that a company can not release numbers for a product that is out in a couple of weeks.

I've been planning to do an upgrade at some point but even my planning has ground to a halt because I don't know when SteamOS will be out and how well it will work and I don't know how widely G-sync will be adopted and I don't know anything about mantle because it's all completely up in the air right now.

My suspicion is that the BF4 numbers aren't as big as AMD thought they were going to be and they're cracking whips at Dice to make it work.

- Silverstone TJ08B-E - Gigabyte Z87M-D3H - i7 4770k @ 4.0GHZ 1.2v - 16gb Kingston HyperX Black 1600 - Gigabyte GTX 770 OC 4GB -

- Silverstone Fortress FT02 - MSI Z77 Mpower - i5 3570k @ 4.0GHZ 1.09v - 8gb Mushkin Blackline 1600 - MSI GTX 670 PE -

- Lenovo T430 (1600x900) - i5 3210m - 8GB DDR3 1333 - nVidia NVS5400M - 256GB mSATA OS - 320GB HDD-

Your retarded, that's all I'm going to say. I'm done explaining basic computations and computer tech to people.

That was unnecessary. 

No where did I say something wrong. It is amazing for an AMD FX CPU to not bottleneck a game when underclocked to 2GHz. 

In fact, could someone, anyone, with an 8350, underclock it to 2GHz, and try and run it with a powerful GPU (doesn't matter which one, just preferably a 670 or better) on a demanding game at demanding settings and compare that to you running it at stock clocks on the same game, at the same settings?

I'd appreciate it.

† Christian Member †

For my pertinent links to guides, reviews, and anything similar, go here, and look under the spoiler labeled such. A brief history of Unix and it's relation to OS X by Builder.

That was unnecessary. 

No where did I say something wrong. It is amazing for an AMD FX CPU to not bottleneck a game when underclocked to 2GHz. 

In fact, could someone, anyone, with an 8350, underclock it to 2GHz, and try and run it with a powerful GPU (doesn't matter which one, just preferably a 670 or better) on a demanding game at demanding settings and compare that to you running it at stock clocks on the same game, at the same settings?

I'd appreciate it.

If possible, in BF4.

Intel i7 5820K (4.5 GHz) | MSI X99A MPower | 32 GB Kingston HyperX Fury 2666MHz | Asus RoG STRIX GTX 1080ti OC | Samsung 951 m.2 nVME 512GB | Crucial MX200 1000GB | Western Digital Caviar Black 2000GB | Noctua NH-D15 | Fractal Define R5 | Seasonic 860 Platinum | Logitech G910 | Sennheiser 599 | Blue Yeti | Logitech G502

Nikon D500 | Nikon 300mm f/4 PF  | Nikon 200-500 f/5.6 | Nikon 50mm f/1.8 | Tamron 70-210 f/4 VCII | Sigma 10-20 f/3.5 | Nikon 17-55 f/2.8 | Tamron 90mm F2.8 SP Di VC USD Macro | Neewer 750II

If possible, in BF4.

I was going to say that, but I didn't want to add too many constraints. Optimally, a 290X at stock clocks on BF4 at Ultra settings at 1080p comparing stock 8350 to 2GHz 8350. 

That'd be great. But I'll take whatever I can get. 

† Christian Member †

For my pertinent links to guides, reviews, and anything similar, go here, and look under the spoiler labeled such. A brief history of Unix and it's relation to OS X by Builder.

Your retarded, that's all I'm going to say. I'm done explaining basic computations and computer tech to people.

Is there a need to be an absolute asshole?

Motherboard - Gigabyte P67A-UD5 Processor - Intel Core i7-2600K RAM - G.Skill Ripjaws @1600 8GB Graphics Cards  - MSI and EVGA GeForce GTX 580 SLI PSU - Cooler Master Silent Pro 1,000w SSD - OCZ Vertex 3 120GB x2 HDD - WD Caviar Black 1TB Case - Corsair Obsidian 600D Audio - Asus Xonar DG

Hail Sithis!

They have the 6 biggest engines and publishers on board. There are 15 titles coming out on the Frostbite3 engine alone in the next 12 months that will support Mantle.

What engines again

FB3

Nitrous

Thief(unreal 3?) id be impressed with unreal 4 

Cryengine(maybe SC is just one game)

Processor: Intel core i7 930 @3.6  Mobo: Asus P6TSE  GPU: EVGA GTX 680 SC  RAM:12 GB G-skill Ripjaws 2133@1333  SSD: Intel 335 240gb  HDD: Seagate 500gb

Monitors: 2x Samsung 245B  Keyboard: Blackwidow Ultimate   Mouse: Zowie EC1 Evo   Mousepad: Goliathus Alpha  Headphones: MMX300  Case: Antec DF-85

Omg!!! things that don't matter at all, but I'm still saying things! Isn't mantle great. This non CPU bound game isn't using a lot of CPU power! who would have though! Isn't mantle great!

I need actual benchmarks and numbers not somone on twitter saying things. Mantle at this time doesn't matter. There are no numbers or anything.

Considering some games on a i5 2500k use about 50% so half the clock speed, it is still gpu bound. This means NOTHING!.

agreed, it feels like its just a theory now, i mean when Nvidia talked about shadow play technology i recall seeing it 2 months maybe more on youtube in real world experiment before the release date, Mantel is still only a subject without any experiment, no one still know how it will work and it the performance worth it for game developers to shift to it, i mean this technology might not go out to end users, but the idea is great i admit that and i cant wait to see the benchmarks of it.

we all know demos and tech talk is always ALWAYS overrated. lets see it in action by a consumer. Not to bash amd here and no, im not a fanboy to either side. but conferences are handcrafted to make the product shine. I just dont buy into all the glitter.

Nvidia almost always show something when it's almost done. AMD always try to tease. I can't understand why.

Still taking this with a giant grain of salt - until there is definite proof/numbers, I'm going to remain neutral but I really do hope that Mantle works well for AMD since they've been doing a fantastic job at marketing recently /s 290 vs. 290X, no non-reference cards, 270 vs. 270X, etc. 

giant-mini.JPG

i5 4670K | ASUS Z87 Gryphon | EVGA GTX 780 Classified | Kingston HyperX black 16GB |  Kingston HyperX 3K 120GB SSD | Seagate Barracude 3TB - RAID 1 | Silverstone Strider Plus 750W 80Plus Silver | CoolerMaster Hyper 212X | Fractal Design Define Mini 

Nvidia almost always show something when it's almost done. AMD always try to tease. I can't understand why.

Probably because AMD likes to hype things up then again, it has definitely not worked in their favor recently... 

i5 4670K | ASUS Z87 Gryphon | EVGA GTX 780 Classified | Kingston HyperX black 16GB |  Kingston HyperX 3K 120GB SSD | Seagate Barracude 3TB - RAID 1 | Silverstone Strider Plus 750W 80Plus Silver | CoolerMaster Hyper 212X | Fractal Design Define Mini 

So AMD still saying, "Oh Mantle, its shiny, look at me"? Not a surprise. I really hope it does well, it'll push things forward, but the lack of true numbers says two possible things. A. Its not done yet or B. Its done and the numbers aren't there and they still have to "optimize" the game and/or API still.

Probably because AMD likes to hype things up then again, it has definitely not worked in their favor recently... 

That's why I say I can't understand why.

I believe r9 290x /290  may get better with a new driver. It's using basically the same driver  we had 7970. Just small changes. 

So if 7970 got way better than 680 and turn out reaching fps " near " to 780 now... I believe 290x can get better through next year. 

It's just a pity that they show stuff when it's not done.  

So AMD still saying, "Oh Mantle, its shiny, look at me"? Not a surprise. I really hope it does well, it'll push things forward, but the lack of true numbers says two possible things. A. Its not done yet or B. Its done and the numbers aren't there and they still have to "optimize" the game and/or API still.

I think it's both. 

This is all completely pointless until we know for sure whether or not Mantle makes a big enough difference in performance. If it's not like the difference between having G-Sync and having G-Sync then Mantle is not as revolutionary as it. I do know they are different things by the way it's just we need to measure the effect each technology has on the PC ecosystem. Even if Mantle improves performance by 50-100% it will still not be as effective as G-Sync.

(\__/)

(='.'=)

(")_(")  GTX 1070 5820K 500GB Samsung EVO SSD 1TB WD Green 16GB of RAM Corsair 540 Air Black EVGA Supernova 750W Gold  Logitech G502 Fiio E10 Wharfedale Diamond 220 Yamaha A-S501 Lian Li Fan Controller NHD-15 KBTalking Keyboard

Your retarded, that's all I'm going to say.

You're*

If you want to insult someone, at least make sure you don't look stupid yourself.

On topic: So AMD GPUs are now optimized for multi-core processors now, this is great because i can see people on a budget going for a cheap AMD CPU [FX-6300 for example] in order to up their budget on getting a higher end GPU which is really the most important. Still gotta wait to see what Mantle brings to the GPU side of things...

So Oxide Games had a demo of their new game engine running with Mantle and AMD's PR Manager was live tweeting it. A lot of it was technical jargon which I can hardly understand but there were quite a few really interesting tweets which make Mantle look pretty awesome! And I haven't seen anyone report this in the forums so here they are:

attachicon.gifp1.png

attachicon.gifp2.png

attachicon.gifp3.png

And this is the part that's really interesting! an under-clocked to 2GHz FX-8350 is not being a bottleneck to an R9 290X during the demo!! and with Mantle it is equal if not faster than a 4770K! So it turns out AMD has been a company with a plan all along. Impressive.

attachicon.gifp4.png

And then they claim they haven't made optimizations, Mantle looks promising to say the least.

attachicon.gifp5.png

A lot of press was there including PC Perspective and other big names so expect some articles coming soon?

I know this guy from another forums. He's AMD's PR mouthpiece...yeah, i'm going to take what he has to say with a grain of salt.

So this basically kills the need for CPU overclocking when gaming! The real question is...will most games support this API? 

FX8320 4.2Ghz@1.280v& 4.5 Ghz Turbo@1.312v Thermalright HR-02/w TY-147 140MM+Arctic Cooling 120MMVRM cooled by AMD Stock Cooler Fan 70MM 0-7200 RPM PWM controlled via SpeedfanGigabyte GA990XA-UD3Gigabyte HD 7970 SOC@R9 280X120GiBee Kingston HyperX 3K2TB Toshiba DT01ACA2001TB WD GreenZalman Z11+Enermax 140MM TB Apollish RED+2X Deepcool 120MM and stock fans running @5VSingle Channel Patriot 8GB (1333MHZ)+Dual Channel 4GB&2GB Kingston NANO Gaming(1600MHZ CL9)=14GB 1,600 Jigahurtz 10-10-9-29 CR1@1.28VSirtec High Power 500WASUS Xonar DG, Logitech F510Sony MDR-XD200Edifier X220 + Edifier 3200A4Tech XL-747H 3600dpiA4Tech X7-200MPdecent membrane keyboardPhilips 236V3LSB 23" 1080p@71Hz .

Sorry for my English....

So what I read out of those tweets is that AMD have found a way to improve the performance benchmarks of their CPU's without actually improving their cpus.  I wonder how many different ways you can do that with software?

Why can't we see how they tested and what the actual results are? I would be more impressed if they backed up their tweets with evidence.

Grammar and spelling is not indicative of intelligence/knowledge.  Not having the same opinion does not always mean lack of understanding.  

if DICE are planning to release mantle by december they should have a fairly stable build to show off gains already

Processor: Intel core i7 930 @3.6  Mobo: Asus P6TSE  GPU: EVGA GTX 680 SC  RAM:12 GB G-skill Ripjaws 2133@1333  SSD: Intel 335 240gb  HDD: Seagate 500gb

Monitors: 2x Samsung 245B  Keyboard: Blackwidow Ultimate   Mouse: Zowie EC1 Evo   Mousepad: Goliathus Alpha  Headphones: MMX300  Case: Antec DF-85

Take it all with a grain of salt....hope they do good...cause the nvidia will get their ass in gear and maybe lower prices