Mantle Demo, AMD CPU Performance.

MbV93

So Oxide Games had a demo of their new game engine running with Mantle and AMD's PR Manager was live tweeting it. A lot of it was technical jargon which I can hardly understand but there were quite a few really interesting tweets which make Mantle look pretty awesome! And I haven't seen anyone report this in the forums so here they are:

post-41153-0-61341000-1384401016.png

post-41153-0-50268600-1384401017.png

post-41153-0-77393700-1384401017.png

And this is the part that's really interesting! an under-clocked to 2GHz FX-8350 is not being a bottleneck to an R9 290X during the demo!! and with Mantle it is equal if not faster than a 4770K! So it turns out AMD has been a company with a plan all along. Impressive.

post-41153-0-02654000-1384401018.png

And then they claim they haven't made optimizations, Mantle looks promising to say the least.

post-41153-0-29697200-1384401018.png

A lot of press was there including PC Perspective and other big names so expect some articles coming soon?

I'm still taking it with a grain of salt... plus saying it preforms in gaming like a 4770k is like saying it preforms the same as a 4670k.

Specs: CPU: FX 8350 MOBO: Crosshair V Formula-Z RAM: 2x4GB Kingston HyperX Beast 1600Mhz GPU: Gigabyte GTX 780 Windforce GHz Edition PSU: Corsair CX750M Case: Corsair 750D Storage: Corsair Neutron GTX 120GB + WD 2TB Green + WD 200GB Black (non-functional/to take up space) Monitor: ASUS PB238Q Upgrade Plans Herehttp://pcpartpicker.com/user/chipsndip104/saved/3AAt

But that is just a guy talking, we want graphs! :)

I thought exactly same thing. When he posted it I was like "are you recording? you'll surely show it to us. Pics or didn't happen" 

anyway since thief , bf4 and some titles I'll play will have mantle and my 7970 will work better... I'm happy... thief will be awesome

Two of the Keynote presentations:

Intel i7 5820K (4.5 GHz) | MSI X99A MPower | 32 GB Kingston HyperX Fury 2666MHz | Asus RoG STRIX GTX 1080ti OC | Samsung 951 m.2 nVME 512GB | Crucial MX200 1000GB | Western Digital Caviar Black 2000GB | Noctua NH-D15 | Fractal Define R5 | Seasonic 860 Platinum | Logitech G910 | Sennheiser 599 | Blue Yeti | Logitech G502

Nikon D500 | Nikon 300mm f/4 PF  | Nikon 200-500 f/5.6 | Nikon 50mm f/1.8 | Tamron 70-210 f/4 VCII | Sigma 10-20 f/3.5 | Nikon 17-55 f/2.8 | Tamron 90mm F2.8 SP Di VC USD Macro | Neewer 750II

Everyone's been saying that AMD cpu's would benifit from the consoles being made majorly out of AMD hardware, me included.

If this nobody's tweets are correct, It looks like mantle is the answer to all that.

My Rig: AMD FX-8350 @ 4.5 Ghz, Corsair H100i, Gigabyte gtx 770 4gb, 8 gb Patriot Viper 2133 mhz, Corsair C70 (Black), EVGA Supernova 750g Modular PSU, Gigabyte GA-990FXA-UD3 motherboard, Asus next gen wifi card.

I thought exactly same thing. When he posted it I was like "are you recording? you'll surely show it to us. Pics or didn't happen" 

anyway since thief , bf4 and some titles I'll play will have mantle and my 7970 will work better... I'm happy... thief will be awesome

They might not be allowed to record during the event (I believe there is a team specifically for recording the summit, don't quote me on it).

Also, graphs will come, that's what why we have Tom's, Anandtech, Pcper, etc.

I do not feel obliged to believe that the same God who has endowed us with sense, reason and intellect has intended us to forgo their use, and by some other means to give us knowledge which we can attain by them. - Galileo Galilei
Build Logs: Tophat (in progress), DNAF | Useful Links: How To: Choosing Your Storage Devices and Configuration, Case Study: RAID Tolerance to Failure, Reducing Single Points of Failure in Redundant Storage , Why Choose an SSD?, ZFS From A to Z (Eric1024), Advanced RAID: Survival Rates, Flashing LSI RAID Cards (alpenwasser), SAN and Storage Networking

Wow if mantle is that good then we are talking some serious fightback and price drops from both Nvidia and Intel.

Hope it is so... :rolleyes:

Two of the Keynote presentations:

I already watched it but... WHERE IS THE DEMO haha

we know they have numbers, and some stuff. But I really want to see something working to please my eye and mind

They might not be allowed to record during the event 

Also, graphs will come, that's what why we have Tom's, Anandtech, Pcper, etc.

well yeah... it's just anxiety since thief will use mantle 8D

Everyone's been saying that AMD cpu's would benifit from the consoles being made majorly out of AMD hardware, me included.

If this nobody's tweets are correct, It looks like mantle is the answer to all that.

... and a big middle finger to those that said that they wouldn't :P

Intel i7 5820K (4.5 GHz) | MSI X99A MPower | 32 GB Kingston HyperX Fury 2666MHz | Asus RoG STRIX GTX 1080ti OC | Samsung 951 m.2 nVME 512GB | Crucial MX200 1000GB | Western Digital Caviar Black 2000GB | Noctua NH-D15 | Fractal Define R5 | Seasonic 860 Platinum | Logitech G910 | Sennheiser 599 | Blue Yeti | Logitech G502

Nikon D500 | Nikon 300mm f/4 PF  | Nikon 200-500 f/5.6 | Nikon 50mm f/1.8 | Tamron 70-210 f/4 VCII | Sigma 10-20 f/3.5 | Nikon 17-55 f/2.8 | Tamron 90mm F2.8 SP Di VC USD Macro | Neewer 750II

biggest issue with mantle is adoption, if no one wants to dev with it, outside of the companies amd worked with, it will be DOA

I already watched it but... WHERE IS THE DEMO haha

we know they have numbers, and some stuff. But I really want to see something working to please my eye and mind

I think Ryan Shrout from pcper tweeted that it was an internal demo and that they would show it to public later. But hey press was there, so this can't be lies, they all saw the demo.

AMD had failed their customers many times in quality and performance vs stability but definitely not pricing, i wont believe anything until i see it with my bare eyes, if mantel does what they said this will be a huge step forward for AMD, i hope AMD stays and get more strong competitive against Nvidia, this will encourage dropping the prices and make a good quality products for end users like me

Omg!!! things that don't matter at all, but I'm still saying things! Isn't mantle great. This non CPU bound game isn't using a lot of CPU power! who would have though! Isn't mantle great!

I need actual benchmarks and numbers not somone on twitter saying things. Mantle at this time doesn't matter. There are no numbers or anything.

Considering some games on a i5 2500k use about 50% so half the clock speed, it is still gpu bound. This means NOTHING!.

Sager NP9370EM - I7 3630QM - 680m 1045Mhz - 8gb 1600mhz ram - 240gb msata 750gb hdd

Show me the numbers, AMD! That is LITERALLY all I care about. before and after and then side by side with a 780ti

- Silverstone TJ08B-E - Gigabyte Z87M-D3H - i7 4770k @ 4.0GHZ 1.2v - 16gb Kingston HyperX Black 1600 - Gigabyte GTX 770 OC 4GB -

- Silverstone Fortress FT02 - MSI Z77 Mpower - i5 3570k @ 4.0GHZ 1.09v - 8gb Mushkin Blackline 1600 - MSI GTX 670 PE -

- Lenovo T430 (1600x900) - i5 3210m - 8GB DDR3 1333 - nVidia NVS5400M - 256GB mSATA OS - 320GB HDD-

Omg!!! things that don't matter at all, but I'm still saying things! Isn't mantle great. This non CPU bound game isn't using a lot of CPU power! who would have though! Isn't mantle great!

I need actual benchmarks and numbers not somone on twitter saying things. Mantle at this time doesn't matter. There are no numbers or anything.

Considering some games on a i5 2500k use about 50% so half the clock speed, it is still gpu bound. This means NOTHING!.

And if you halve the clock-speed of the CPU that ran at about 50% beforehand and the game is still not CPU bound?

biggest issue with mantle is adoption, if no one wants to dev with it, outside of the companies amd worked with, it will be DOA

... I don't think that will be a problem considering everything we know about Mantle so far.

† Christian Member †

For my pertinent links to guides, reviews, and anything similar, go here, and look under the spoiler labeled such. A brief history of Unix and it's relation to OS X by Builder.

Show me the numbers, AMD! That is LITERALLY all I care about. before and after and then side by side with a 780ti

Makes me believe less and less at this API when they can't release early numbers. I'm sure they are going to compare 290x and Titan (because of the price) and say hey look it beats titan by this much, when the 780ti could beat it. 

I'm not a fan boy (kinda) but I hate that a company can not release numbers for a product that is out in a couple of weeks.

Sager NP9370EM - I7 3630QM - 680m 1045Mhz - 8gb 1600mhz ram - 240gb msata 750gb hdd

*facepalm*

... You realize that comparing an Intel CPU to an AMD FX CPU is ... not a correct comparison, right? 

The reason it's a big deal for the FX CPU is because they suck so bad at single threaded programs, like games have been for the past, .... forever. 

An Intel CPU can do that because they are juggernauts of single threaded performance. FX CPU's are not. They suck. Horribly. So one running at 2GHz and still not creating a bottleneck for a 290X is pretty damn impressive.

† Christian Member †

For my pertinent links to guides, reviews, and anything similar, go here, and look under the spoiler labeled such. A brief history of Unix and it's relation to OS X by Builder.

They have the 6 biggest engines and publishers on board. There are 15 titles coming out on the Frostbite3 engine alone in the next 12 months that will support Mantle.