AMD Ryzen R7 1800X performance review - TechPowerUp

1 minute ago, Zackbare said:

Yet you're on his own platform commenting about him

Well it's more Luke's platform than Linus's.

18 minutes ago, Valentyn said:

If it was 100% graphics card dependant, there wouldn't be a 99% difference in minimum FPS for the GTX 1080Ti on Ryzen vs 7700K.

Well TBH, we don't know how many times Linus ran the benchmark. And when you are GPU bottlenecked, results are sporadic:

CPU: Intel Core i7-5820K | Motherboard: AsRock X99 Extreme4 | Graphics Card: Gigabyte GTX 1080 G1 Gaming | RAM: 16GB G.Skill Ripjaws4 2133MHz | Storage: 1 x Samsung 860 EVO 1TB | 1 x WD Green 2TB | 1 x WD Blue 500GB | PSU: Corsair RM750x | Case: Phanteks Enthoo Pro (White) | Cooling: Arctic Freezer i32

Mice: Logitech G Pro X Superlight (main), Logitech G Pro Wireless, Razer Viper Ultimate, Zowie S1 Divina Blue, Zowie FK1-B Divina Blue, Logitech G Pro (3366 sensor), Glorious Model O, Razer Viper Mini, Logitech G305, Logitech G502, Logitech G402

Just now, Zackbare said:

And? What has that got to do with anything? I'm a Patron of Gamers Nexus. Do you see anything indicating I support Linus's crap methodology financially?

If anyone asks you never saw me.

Just now, Darth Revan said:

Well it's more Luke's platform than Linus's.

Well it still does say LinusTechTips...

I would like to see gaming benchmarks with 3466Mhz Ryzen certified RAM that G.skill lists though after the BIOS updates.

| Ryzen 7 7800X3D | AM5 B650 Aorus Elite AX | G.Skill Trident Z5 Neo RGB DDR5 32GB 6000MHz C30 | Sapphire PULSE Radeon RX 7900 XTX | Samsung 990 PRO 1TB with heatsink | Arctic Liquid Freezer II 360 | Seasonic Focus GX-850 | Lian Li Lanccool III | Mousepad: Skypad 3.0 XL / Zowie GTF-X | Mouse: Zowie S1-C | Keyboard: Ducky One 3 TKL (Cherry MX-Speed-Silver)Beyerdynamic MMX 300 (2nd Gen) | Acer XV272U | OS: Windows 11 |

1 minute ago, App4that said:

And? What has that got to do with anything? I'm a Patron of Gamers Nexus. Do you see anything indicating I support Linus's crap methodology financially?

I trust only the following 3 reviewers:

1. Gamers Nexus
  2. Hardware Unboxed
  3. Paul's Hardware

The rest, I take with a grain of salt. Or, if they use 4K benchmarks for CPUs, I don't even watch their reviews...

CPU: Intel Core i7-5820K | Motherboard: AsRock X99 Extreme4 | Graphics Card: Gigabyte GTX 1080 G1 Gaming | RAM: 16GB G.Skill Ripjaws4 2133MHz | Storage: 1 x Samsung 860 EVO 1TB | 1 x WD Green 2TB | 1 x WD Blue 500GB | PSU: Corsair RM750x | Case: Phanteks Enthoo Pro (White) | Cooling: Arctic Freezer i32

Mice: Logitech G Pro X Superlight (main), Logitech G Pro Wireless, Razer Viper Ultimate, Zowie S1 Divina Blue, Zowie FK1-B Divina Blue, Logitech G Pro (3366 sensor), Glorious Model O, Razer Viper Mini, Logitech G305, Logitech G502, Logitech G402

9 minutes ago, Zackbare said:

Sir, merely 8-10% even bother to game at 4k, AND people would like to see how processor works and not how it works on older games, as of me I'd prefer to get as much as raw performance comparison as I'd be looking forward to plat GTA VI and NOT GTA V. There is no harm, but dude one game's 4k performance over thousands other is different because of the build. You don't get the point it's about overall gaming not a specific game to play! For that, they'd have to test it out on every AAA games released. Like where is bloodborne? where is battlefield 1 ? where is dark souls ? overwatch ? 

Just get the point. They're not game reviewer but PC reviewer 

The vast majority of reviewers focus on gaming, because that's where their main clients are in. We already have all the 720p benchmarks we could want, along with productivity. As mentioned before there is no harm in testing more resolutions, and more games. 

4K is the future, and people need to know how well the CPU will not only do now, but also down the line, and that includes 1440p.

The purpose of the 720p tests are not only to see how well the CPUs do know, but how well they might be in the future; as stated by several reviewers. It's another indicator that if the CPU is the bottleneck now; there's a high probability it will also be one in the future as the average gaming resolution increases, and the power of GPUs as well.

Bloodborne? Sorry, but since when are we talking about Playstation 4 exclusives here? As for the other games, I hope people do test them more. Which is why i stated this:

That's why a full data set is required, with as many games in the suite as possible.

You're being extremely short sighted, do you have some fear of actual data, and the results it might bring forward?

5950X | NH D15S | 64GB 3200Mhz | RTX 3090 | ASUS PG348Q+MG278Q

2 minutes ago, Zackbare said:

Well it still does say LinusTechTips...

Your fallacy is the Bandwagon Fallacy.

Could make an argument for Appeal to Authority too.

3 minutes ago, App4that said:

Your fallacy is the Bandwagon Fallacy.

Could make an argument for Appeal to Authority too.

They're partners for god's sake man, also it's completely irrelevant to topic.. 

7 minutes ago, PCGuy_5960 said:

Well TBH, we don't know how many times Linus ran the benchmark. And when you are GPU bottlenecked, results are sporadic:

Sporadic is what we already have with Ryzen 1080p benchmarks. Although increased minimums is one thing, but a 99% increase with the 1080Ti is more than margin of error now.

It's also why I want more reviewers to actually test at 4K, the more that do the easier it is to draw a reliable conclusion. I simply want things to be as accurate as possible.

Just now, Zackbare said:

They're partners for god's sake man, also it's completely irrelevant to topic.. 

I see you have come to the same conclusion I came to as to your first response. I enjoyed our conversation and am glad it was resolved peacefully.

4 minutes ago, Valentyn said:

Talk open mind-idly man, try just for once, from my perspective. You'll see what I'm trying to say. 

Just now, Zackbare said:

Talk open mind-idly man, try just for once, from my perspective. You'll see what I'm trying to say. 

I have tried and all I see is someone that doesn't want more data to help inform the consumer about the relevant performance of current, and future games in relation to their purchase. A purchase that will last several years for the vast majority of users.

More data harms no one, and only allows people be better informed, not only for old, and current games, but also in the future for others.

29 minutes ago, Valentyn said:

I have tried and all I see is someone that doesn't want more data to help inform the consumer about the relevant performance of current, and future games in relation to their purchase. A purchase that will last several years for the vast majority of users.

More data harms no one, and only allows people be better informed, not only for old, and current games, but also in the future for others.

You say that, until someone uses that data to build an evil robot that kicks puppies. Information is scary. I say we all bury our heads underground and accept our fates.

My (incomplete) memory overclocking guide: 

Does memory speed impact gaming performance? Click here to find out!

On 1/2/2017 at 9:32 PM, MageTank said:

Sometimes, we all need a little inspiration.

Just now, Zackbare said:

Keep it relevant to topic sir, please.

Don't mod me bro. Besides. You guys were too busy arguing semantics. I had to bring you all down a notch for the sake of the world. I think it worked.

Just now, cesrai said:

Broooo why you being so unrespectful  ? 

OT: The results are interesting to say. I can't draw a conclusion about this cause of the difference in results from a reviewer to another.

He only assumed I was being disrespectful. I made a single joke. After reading this entire thread, I feel I was more on-topic with that joke, than most people were when arguing over benchmarks and prices, lol. 

The topic itself isn't anything new. We've seen the benches of the 1800x, and we know how it performs. Techpowerup not including the minimum FPS or frametime charts tells us absolutely nothing that we didn't already know. Just because you average a decent framerate, doesn't mean the experience is good. The FX series was capable of averaging a decent (this is subjective) framerate, but the terrible frametime and stutters is what made it an awful experience for most users. 

The CCX issue is also being thrown around as "unconfirmed" or a rumor, but we have solid evidence proving it's the issue. We also know the IMC is directly tied to it, and your ram will dictate how fast the "Infinity Fabric" is, and that limiting ram in any way (IE: Tertiary timings) will hold this CPU back immensely. 

People on this forum need to relax a little more. Not everyone is out to get each other, and it's not our jobs to tell each other how to act. If the mods feel any of us has stepped out of line, they will deal with it accordingly. I don't mean this towards you, I know that you were joking, lol.

1 hour ago, Zackbare said:

LTT is immune to criticism on their forum? Wew

Just now, Kloaked said:

LTT is immune to criticism on their forum? Wew

While I dislike the fact that they seldom respond to their criticism (delid video, memory speed video, etc) I do have a great deal of respect for them for allowing us to criticism them. Most others would censor or ban you for speaking against them, and I have experienced this myself. Even the mod team is very relaxed on this forum, given how much they've let me get away with random shenanigans. Has a "as long as you don't intentionally go out of your way to harm people, you are fine" kind of vibe.

Though, I must say, I half expected a bigger backlash from the LTT Ryzen video. They tested most of their games in 4k, and only tested a single title in 1080p (CS:Go). I personally didn't get much info out of that video (I don't take synthetics seriously, and it didn't show me much about it's real-world performance) but luckily I always go to multiple sources for my info. In that regard, I mostly watch LTT for the entertainment value. Where else where you find a grown man-child living his dreams and dropping hardware I would never even begin to own? I live through him sometimes, lol.

21 minutes ago, MageTank said:

1080p (CS:Go)

Don't trust LTT test of CSGO at all. ( at least I don't cause they use ullitecal benchmark I think and that's just not good )

ﷲ   Muslim Member  ﷲ

KennyS and ScreaM are my role models in CSGO.

CPU: i3-4130 Motherboard: Gigabyte H81M-S2PH RAM: 8GB Kingston hyperx fury HDD: WD caviar black 1TB GPU: MSI 750TI twin frozr II Case: Aerocool Xpredator X3 PSU: Corsair RM650

46 minutes ago, MageTank said:

While I dislike the fact that they seldom respond to their criticism (delid video, memory speed video, etc) I do have a great deal of respect for them for allowing us to criticism them. Most others would censor or ban you for speaking against them, and I have experienced this myself. Even the mod team is very relaxed on this forum, given how much they've let me get away with random shenanigans.

True. I just wish they'd get the message at some point though, that these half-baked reviews are useless.

46 minutes ago, MageTank said:

Has a "as long as you don't intentionally go out of your way to harm people, you are fine" kind of vibe.

That's probably why I'm not banned yet ;)

48 minutes ago, MageTank said:

In that regard, I mostly watch LTT for the entertainment value. Where else where you find a grown man-child living his dreams and dropping hardware I would never even begin to own? I live through him sometimes, lol.

People are too concerned about their thumbnails now rather than the actual content itself it seems.

49 minutes ago, MageTank said:

In that regard, I mostly watch LTT for the entertainment value. Where else where you find a grown man-child living his dreams and dropping hardware I would never even begin to own? I live through him sometimes, lol.

TBH, and this is nothing against LTT, but a lot of their videos make me physically cringe (ranging from the lack of actual knowledge on what they're reviewing to just pure childish cringiness) and I end up just closing the video.

6 hours ago, Morgan MLGman said:

bit under 3000MHz still works fine.

With sloppy timings yes but using poor timings negates the benefit of the faster ram

https://linustechtips.com/main/topic/631048-psu-tier-list-updated/ Tier Breakdown (My understanding)--1 Godly, 2 Great, 3 Good, 4 Average, 5 Meh, 6 Bad, 7 Awful

11 hours ago, MageTank said:

Even the mod team is very relaxed on this forum, given how much they've let me get away with random shenanigans

63597850.jpg

Edit:

Picking just one meme is so hard xD

24 minutes ago, leadeater said:

63597850.jpg

Edit:

Picking just one meme is so hard xD

A naughty boy with the best of intentions, lol. Also, I really need to go watch those movies again. 

@OT: I've been giving the CCX issue a little more thought, and while it is currently a problem in design, I don't exactly see it as a bad idea. Assuming they fix the IMC (or improve upon it with later revisions of Zen) this option can turn out to be fairly potent. It will also give ram far more importance, which is good for ram manufacturers and overclockers like myself. People complained that overclocking has become stagnant, but those very same people neglect what I consider the most challenging, yet fun kind of overclocking. I see this being a win-win if pulled off correctly. 

9 minutes ago, MageTank said:

I've been giving the CCX issue a little more thought, and while it is currently a problem in design, I don't exactly see it as a bad idea. Assuming they fix the IMC (or improve upon it with later revisions of Zen) this option can turn out to be fairly potent. It will also give ram far more importance, which is good for ram manufacturers and overclockers like myself. People complained that overclocking has become stagnant, but those very same people neglect what I consider the most challenging, yet fun kind of overclocking. I see this being a win-win if pulled off correctly. 

I was also thinking about how amusing it would be if due to Ryzen there is a complete overhaul in memory cooling and overclocking, maybe people might join me in the memory water cooling club :).

People have been far to critical of an extremely new and totally different architecture that is not similar to anything done before, you can't really write something off in it's first iteration and in the first week of it no less. The move from single core to dual core wasn't exactly smooth sailing for anyone and same goes for the move to quad cores. The CCX design may ultimately prove to not be as good as Intel's design, single unified compute units/cores, but it's good enough even now. All that without even bringing price in to it.

Anyone willing to volunteer their 4c/8t i7 for a multibox test? 

i5 2400 | ASUS RTX 4090 TUF OC | Seasonic 1200W Prime Gold | WD Green 120gb | WD Blue 1tb | some ram | a random case