AMD Ryzen R7 1800X performance review - TechPowerUp

1 minute ago, Hunter7263 said:

In very high level play it actually makes sense. IF you can push 400 then even a huge dip where framerates get cut in half still have you pushing over your monitors max so you get a very very consistent experience. 

Actually, even though you can't see those frames, the game feels more responsive!

CPU: Intel Core i7-5820K | Motherboard: AsRock X99 Extreme4 | Graphics Card: Gigabyte GTX 1080 G1 Gaming | RAM: 16GB G.Skill Ripjaws4 2133MHz | Storage: 1 x Samsung 860 EVO 1TB | 1 x WD Green 2TB | 1 x WD Blue 500GB | PSU: Corsair RM750x | Case: Phanteks Enthoo Pro (White) | Cooling: Arctic Freezer i32

Mice: Logitech G Pro X Superlight (main), Logitech G Pro Wireless, Razer Viper Ultimate, Zowie S1 Divina Blue, Zowie FK1-B Divina Blue, Logitech G Pro (3366 sensor), Glorious Model O, Razer Viper Mini, Logitech G305, Logitech G502, Logitech G402

In very high level play it actually makes sense. IF you can push 400 then even a huge dip where framerates get cut in half still have you pushing over your monitors max so you get a very very consistent experience. 

I don't believe there'll be more than 200fps drop for no other reason than you having shit configuration or if you're rendering in the background. 

3 hours ago, Ezio Auditore said:

Is there a GPU bottleneck in Witcher 3 1080p?

witcher 3 is mostly a gpu-bound game, but there are instances of the game using a bit more cpu. such as walking around Novigrad. there is also a setting that adjusts NPC density, so i suppose setting it to max will slightly increase cpu overhead 

1 minute ago, PCGuy_5960 said:

Actually, even though you can't see those frames, the game feels more responsive!

IF you have the frame counter on, coz it pumps your juices. At least for me 

5 minutes ago, PCGuy_5960 said:

Idk... Those minimums may have been rare I guess... I find interesting the fact that with the 1080 Ti, the 7700K has 10 more FPS on average at 4K!

Maybe it's because of the game itself ? I think it makes sense

3 minutes ago, Zackbare said:

I don't believe there'll be more than 200fps drop for no other reason than you having shit configuration or if you're rendering in the background. 

Why not? We see dips in other games that are far more severe. Ive seen games doing 100 ish that drop to like 15-20. Thats an 80% drop in framerates vs a meager 50% in my example with cs go. I would have to imaging smoke grenades or other effects like that would have a significant short term impact. 

edit: Im talking like short events that last like 1/2 second to several seconds.

Ryzen sucks.

Gatorade is better.

Why not? We see dips in other games that are far more severe. Ive seen games doing 100 ish that drop to like 15-20. Thats an 80% drop in framerates vs a meager 50% in my example with cs go. I would have to imaging smoke grenades or other effects like that would have a significant short term impact. 

I don't completely agree with that, see the percentage you're talking about is ( I think) not a good way to measure drop, because being at 400 fps and 100 fps is whole different thing and takes a whole different hardware. Also the graphics quality.

Day 9999 

Still waiting for someome the test the 7700k like this 

i5 2400 | ASUS RTX 4090 TUF OC | Seasonic 1200W Prime Gold | WD Green 120gb | WD Blue 1tb | some ram | a random case

2 minutes ago, Pohernori said:

Day 9999 

2 minutes ago, Pohernori said:

Still waiting for someome the test the 7700k like this 

CPU: Intel Core i7-5820K | Motherboard: AsRock X99 Extreme4 | Graphics Card: Gigabyte GTX 1080 G1 Gaming | RAM: 16GB G.Skill Ripjaws4 2133MHz | Storage: 1 x Samsung 860 EVO 1TB | 1 x WD Green 2TB | 1 x WD Blue 500GB | PSU: Corsair RM750x | Case: Phanteks Enthoo Pro (White) | Cooling: Arctic Freezer i32

Mice: Logitech G Pro X Superlight (main), Logitech G Pro Wireless, Razer Viper Ultimate, Zowie S1 Divina Blue, Zowie FK1-B Divina Blue, Logitech G Pro (3366 sensor), Glorious Model O, Razer Viper Mini, Logitech G305, Logitech G502, Logitech G402

Just now, Zackbare said:

I don't completely agree with that, see the percentage you're talking about is ( I think) not a good way to measure drop, because being at 400 fps and 100 fps is whole different thing and takes a whole different hardware. Also the graphics quality.

maybe maybe not. Usually a dip in framerate is because you have more to do. If scene has 4 times as much to do youll see a 75% drop if you were already maxing out the system before hand simple because you have 4 times as much to do.

I don't even see that drop even in crysis (If I were on 400fps)(I wish), but crysis has some scenes which are very less intensive to god knows what's happening here. That massive drop is unjustified to me, unless some really technical person steps in and talk about some xyz thing and how it makes games work.

Well I'll be damned, there's actually a civil conversation going on here... I wonder why that might be ? *strokes my single chin hair*

Well I'm still gonna buy ryzen for vm use after I build my gf her humble box gaming rig.

CPU: Intel i7 7700K | GPU: ROG Strix GTX 1080Ti | PSU: Seasonic X-1250 (faulty) | Memory: Corsair Vengeance RGB 3200Mhz 16GB | OS Drive: Western Digital Black NVMe 250GB | Game Drive(s): Samsung 970 Evo 500GB, Hitachi 7K3000 3TB 3.5" | Motherboard: Gigabyte Z270x Gaming 7 | Case: Fractal Design Define S (No Window and modded front Panel) | Monitor(s): Dell S2716DG G-Sync 144Hz, Acer R240HY 60Hz (Dead) | Keyboard: G.SKILL RIPJAWS KM780R MX | Mouse: Steelseries Sensei 310 (Striked out parts are sold or dead, awaiting zen2 parts)

19 minutes ago, PCGuy_5960 said:

Idk... Those minimums may have been rare I guess... I find interesting the fact that with the 1080 Ti, the 7700K has 10 more FPS on average at 4K!

Aye, more average, but the minimums are Double on Ryzen!

In fact the minimums on Ryzen for all the GPUs are better in GTA V.

I hope Linus goes back and looks into that.

Personally I'd sacrifice higher max FPS for increase, or double the minimums any day, especially if the average is still over 60 FPS.

5950X | NH D15S | 64GB 3200Mhz | RTX 3090 | ASUS PG348Q+MG278Q

13 minutes ago, Valentyn said:

In fact the minimums on Ryzen for all the GPUs are better in GTA V

Other reviewers did not get the same results though... (for the minimums)

Just now, PCGuy_5960 said:

That's why Linus should check it again.

9 minutes ago, PCGuy_5960 said:

Reason Linus needs to check, although most reviewers also didn't bother testing at 4K.
720p and 1080p mostly.

The whole variance between reviewers down to motherboards is still annoying as well.
The Taichi apparently run 3200Mhz on the launch BIOS according to Wendell, but no day 1 reviewers had that board. MSI took ages before it could hit 2933Mhz.
Joker managed 3000Mhz on his Gigabyte board.

Most still had Asus or MSI boards that were stuck at 2133-2400Mhz :/

I hope with Ryzen R5's launch and reviews that motherboards will be a bit more stable, and we get some uniformed results. Also testing beyond 720 and 1080p. More 1440p and 4K as well, as depending on the game the CPU does still make a difference; ie GTA V.

1 minute ago, Valentyn said:

Reason Linus needs to check, although most reviewers also didn't bother testing at 4K.
720p and 1080p mostly.

The whole variance between reviewers down to motherboards is still annoying as well.
The Taichi apparently run 3200Mhz on the launch BIOS according to Wendell, but no day 1 reviewers had that board. MSI took ages before it could hit 2933Mhz.
Joker managed 3000Mhz on his Gigabyte board.

Most still had Asus or MSI boards that were stuck at 2133-2400Mhz :/

No, 4k is not a good way to test, as it moves the stress from cpu to gpu, but 1080p gives a good stress on cpu. Which makes the benchmarks make sense. 4k is g-card variable it'll be good to test vega

3 minutes ago, Zackbare said:

No, 4k is not a good way to test, as it moves the stress from cpu to gpu, but 1080p gives a good stress on cpu. Which makes the benchmarks make sense. 4k is g-card variable it'll be good to test vega

It is if people want to game at 4K, include all major resolutions for a full data set.
In Linus' own GTA V tests we can see there's a rather massive difference going on in Minimums vs Averages.

More people need to have a full set of data for 720, 1080p, 1440p and 4K.

If it was 100% graphics card dependant, there wouldn't be a 99% difference in minimum FPS for the GTX 1080Ti on Ryzen vs 7700K.

If it's game dependant, it's even better, and gives more data for people to make purchasing decisions on.

Just now, Valentyn said:

It is if people want to game at 4K, include all major resolutions for a full data set.
In Linus' own GTA V tests we can see there's a rather massive difference going on in Minimums vs Averages.

More people need to have a full set of data for 720, 1080p, 1440p and 4K.

If it was 100% graphics card dependant, there wouldn't be a 99% difference in minimum FPS for the GTX 1080Ti on Ryzen vs 7700K.

Dude that difference was because of the way the game was made, and still a big no for 4k test to compare the cpu as they end up working same within the margin of error and wastes theirs and viewers time

Just now, Zackbare said:

Dude that difference was because of the way the game was made, and still a big no for 4k test to compare the cpu as they end up working same within the margin of error and wastes theirs and viewers time

I'm sorry but stating "difference was because of the way the game was made" is a Perfect reason to test more at 4K, and 1440p.

Without those tests from other reviewers we have no idea if Ryzen performs similarly in 4K for other games. 

If we merely based all of our conclusions on 720P and 1080P we should assume that ryzen would give worse performance at 4K, or at best similar performance since the GPU takes the brunt of the work as time goes on.
As we can see in GTA that's not the case. 

Even if the 7700K gives 10FPS more on averages, but it's minimums are 50% under that of Ryzen with more drops under 30FPS, the gaming experience is significantly worse over all.

That's why a full data set is required, with as many games in the suite as possible.
There is absolutely NO harm in testing 1440p and 4K, all it does it highlight if there is any difference in some games.

1 minute ago, App4that said:

Linus has the worst methodology on YouTube, well Joker is up there too.

I take none of his results seriously.

You mean only seeing max FPS and nothing else isn't actually useful???????????????????????

17 minutes ago, Valentyn said:

I'm sorry but stating "difference was because of the way the game was made" is a Perfect reason to test more at 4K, and 1440p.

Without those tests from other reviewers we have no idea if Ryzen performs similarly in 4K for other games. 

If we merely based all of our conclusions on 720P and 1080P we should assume that ryzen would give worse performance at 4K, or at best similar performance since the GPU takes the brunt of the work as time goes on.
As we can see in GTA that's not the case. 

Even if the 7700K gives 10FPS more on averages, but it's minimums are 50% under that of Ryzen with more drops under 30FPS, the gaming experience is significantly worse over all.

That's why a full data set is required, with as many games in the suite as possible.
There is absolutely NO harm in testing 1440p and 4K, all it does it highlight if there is any difference in some games.

Sir, merely 8-10% even bother to game at 4k, AND people would like to see how processor works and not how it works on older games, as of me I'd prefer to get as much as raw performance comparison as I'd be looking forward to plat GTA VI and NOT GTA V. There is no harm, but dude one game's 4k performance over thousands other is different because of the build. You don't get the point it's about overall gaming not a specific game to play! For that, they'd have to test it out on every AAA games released. Like where is where is battlefield 1 ? where is dark souls ? overwatch ? 

Just get the point. They're not game reviewer but PC reviewer 

4 minutes ago, App4that said:

Linus has the worst methodology on YouTube, well Joker is up there too.

I take none of his results seriously.

Yet you're on his own platform commenting about him