Something a bit scary to think about

HK_Rage

Considering how Virtual Reality headsets are taking off, I watched this video of a guy who was playing Mirror's Edge where he was wearing the Occulus Rift & nearly everytime he jumped over ledges, in his face cam, he appeared to almost seem he was expressing that he was actually falling. Now this is completely based on Matrix logic but at a certain points, VR Headsets will be at the point where it'll be displaying 4K resolution and things will appear so real (once again, going off matrix logic) that your brain would assume it's real taking into consideration the controls & everything feel natural.

Now my question off of this is that would your brain cause damage to yourself if you were to suffer damage in a game while wearing a VR Headset that displays the game so realistically?

No, that's impossible, but cool question

CPUIntel 4670k  Motherboard - Gigabyte GA-Z87X-D3H  RAMKingston HyperX 8GB  GPU - EVGA 780  Case - Fractal Design Define R4    Storage - 2TB WD Black, Samsung 840 Evo 128GB     PSU - Corsair RM650  Display -  Benq XL2430T and Acer S235HL  Cooling - CM Hyper 212 Evo  Keyboard - Corsair K95  Mouse - Razer Deathadder  Sound - Sennheiser HD 558                                 Mic - Blue Snowball  Phone- OnePlus One  Tablet - Nvidia Shield

no....

Intel I9-9900k (5Ghz) Asus ROG Maximus XI Formula | Corsair Vengeance 16GB DDR4-4133mhz | ASUS ROG Strix 2080Ti | EVGA Supernova G2 1050w 80+Gold | Samsung 950 Pro M.2 (512GB) + (1TB) | Full EK custom water loop |IN-WIN S-Frame (No. 263/500)

Now my question off of this is that would your brain cause damage to yourself if you were to suffer damage in a game while wearing a VR Headset that displays the game so realistically?

No you will not injure yourself. However as with all optical illusions you can cause the participant to react in humorous ways. For instance if you were to have a person wearing an Occulus in a standing position and the simulation had them all of a sudden start flipping and rolling and falling, you could probably get them to fall over due to the cognitive disconnect.

Intel 3570k @ 4.4 GHz |Asus Sabertooth Z77 |EVGA GTX 660 Ti FTW |Kingston HyperX Beast 16 Gb DDR3 1866 (2x8Gb)

|Samsung 840 250 GB |Western Digital Green 2TB 2x |Cooler Master 850w 80+ Gold |Custom Water Cooling Loop |Noctua NF-F12 4x
|Noctua NF-A14 3x |Corsair Carbide 500R (White) |Corsair K95 |Razer Mamba |Razer Megalodon |Samsung SyncMaster T220 2x Computer Bucket List   Greatest Thread Ever   WAN Show Drinking Game  GPU Buyers Guide

There is a physiological condition that can cause real, physical damage to the body. The condition is quite rare though, and is most often linked to schizophrenia. So, theoretically it would be possible, but not in any major way. I might be mistaken, I'm not 100% sure.

Nova doctrina terribilis sit perdere

Audio format guides: Vinyl records | Cassette tapes

Probably as likely to happen as shooter games are to turn you into terrorists and killers and what not.

Specs of my PC:

CPU: AMD FX 8350  Motherboard: Gigabyte 990XA UD3  GPU: Gigabyte GTX 770 Windforce 2GB  HDD: WD Green 2TB SSD:  Corsair Force GT 120GB SSD RAM: Corsair 8GB(2X4) PSU: CoolerMaster G650M

I've seen my mom play mario cart..

i Think there some people that can hurt themselves with this already.. 

====>The car thread<====>Dark Souls thread<====>Placeholder<====
"Life is like a raging river, Its gonna get rough downstream. And people's gonna piss in it" 

"Who discovered we could get milk from cows, and what did he THINK he was doing at the time?"

Um... what.

How could you see his expression if half of his face was covered by the Oculus?

| Case: NZXT Tempest 210 | CPU: Intel Core i5 3570K @ 3.9 Ghz | GPU: ASUS ROG STRIX GTX 1070 | RAM: Crucial Ballistix Tactical 8GB |

| Mouse: Zowie FK1 | Monitor: Acer 21.5' | Keyboard: CoolerMaster Stealth w/ Brown Switches |

#KilledMyWife - #LinusButtPlug - #1080penis

Probably as likely to happen as shooter games are to turn you into terrorists and killers and what not.

According to the media 50% of the earth's population would be affected.

In the matrix they are completely absorbed. Meaning what they touch, eat, smell, ear, see comes from the matrix. Occulus Rift is only what we see. It needs to be all the senses imo to even come close.

According to the media 50% of the earth's population would be affected.

HAHAHA the media AHAHAHAHAHA nice one....

Specs of my PC:

CPU: AMD FX 8350  Motherboard: Gigabyte 990XA UD3  GPU: Gigabyte GTX 770 Windforce 2GB  HDD: WD Green 2TB SSD:  Corsair Force GT 120GB SSD RAM: Corsair 8GB(2X4) PSU: CoolerMaster G650M

In the matrix they are completely absorbed. Meaning what they touch, eat, smell, ear, see comes from the matrix. Occulus Rift is only what we see. It needs to be all the senses imo to even come close.

Let's hope they never introduce an oculus that can make you smell stuff in games.. the gears of war toilets spring to mind..

"Life is like a raging river, Its gonna get rough downstream. And people's gonna piss in it" 

"Who discovered we could get milk from cows, and what did he THINK he was doing at the time?"

Umm.. all the matrix shit aside, the human brain has a lot more control over your body than you think.  people have been know to suffer heart attacks and have complications from "falling dreams" similar to the hypnic jerk.

Also the heightened level of adrenaline in the system from the brain constantly engaging the fight/flight response will eventually cause the body become weak:

some food for thought:

The long-term activation of the stress-response system — and the subsequent overexposure to cortisol and other stress hormones — can disrupt almost all your body's processes. This puts you at increased risk of numerous health problems, including:

• Anxiety
  • Depression
  • Digestive problems
  • Heart disease
  • Sleep problems
  • Weight gain
  • Memory and concentration impairment

That's why it's so important to learn healthy ways to cope with the stressors in your life.

Whilst playing for a while here and there will not result in broken bones there will be a cumulative effect on the body over time.

Grammar and spelling is not indicative of intelligence/knowledge.  Not having the same opinion does not always mean lack of understanding.  

Let's hope they never introduce an oculus that can make you smell stuff in games.. the gears of war toilets spring to mind..

What about the toliets in Call of Duty? >_< Disgusting haha. toilet.jpg

こんにちは, まだ学習漢字 ;)

Sword Art Online? Micro Waves? You will understand if you have watched Sword Art.

Nerve Gear :D 

2s7w9w3.jpg

こんにちは, まだ学習漢字 ;)

What about the toliets in Call of Duty? >_< Disgusting haha. toilet.jpg

the gears of war one i was thinking about is much worse.. much much worse.. and on fire

From pc gaming now you can get accelerated heart rate due to excitement and fear. Making those more intense could injure some.

Paintball meet up KD 7(8?)/1 + one capture 

dat duckface doe 

yes. if VR can trick your mind into certain circumstances, you can damage yourself. It happens with video games right now. How many of you sweat or get palpitations when playing a particularly intense session? Thats all physioligcal stress

AMD FX-8350 @ 4.7Ghz when gaming | MSI 990FXA-GD80 v2 | Swiftech H220 | Sapphire Radeon HD 7950  +  XFX Radeon 7950 | 8 Gigs of Crucial Ballistix Tracers | 140 GB Raptor X | 1 TB WD Blue | 250 GB Samsung Pro SSD | 120 GB Samsung SSD | 750 Watt Antec HCG PSU | Corsair C70 Mil Green

Virtual gaming? I wanna MK III (in as developed to show full hd or more) of Occulus Rift and F.E.A.R. game or Dead Space to support it. Alma appering all over the place would creep the f*ck out.

<p>Eryi's Action Rule#2 - "Dont jump on the green mushroom"

Ministry of StopIt!

Me wanty!!

I dreamt last night I had a nerve gear >_< I thought the dream was real D:

こんにちは, まだ学習漢字 ;)

I dreamt last night I had a nerve gear >_< I thought the dream was real D:

Reality has failed you.