Raspberry Pi Server??

Is it possible to daisychain3 or 4 pi's together to make a server?

I need a server that can run a surveillance server and a NAS that can store 2TB+ in the same server. My budget is about £50, but I can probably up that to £70 if needed. I can cut some plywood if necessary.

Any ideas?

yes you can cluster the pi. (google clusterPI) and no you will not do that. it is, especially for surveillance, not recommended. 

also, as a big datastore it is not recommended, it has a 100mBp/s network port.

the answer is no.

Just now, JPotze said:

yes you can cluster the pi. (google clusterPI) and no you will not do that. it is, especially for surveillance, not recommended. 

also, as a big datastore it is not recommended, it has a 100mBp/s network port.

the answer is no.

no to what? I don't need blazingly fast speeds, I will be using old HDDs. So I can't virtualise it with a surveylance and a NAs?

for as far as i know and have experience with, you cant virtualize on a (cluster) pi. and as a simple nas you can set it up. for surveilance it is not recommended.

A raspberry Pi running 24/7 is not ideal. You should get some heatsinks first.

Since I am to lazy to put something interesting here, I will put everything, but slightly abbreviated. Here is everything:

also, some questions to make you wonder about life:

What is I and who is me? Who is you? Which armrest in the movie theatre is yours?

also,

Welcome to the internet, I will be your guide. Or something.

My build:

CPU: Intel Core i5-7400 3.0GHz Quad-Core Processor,

Motherboard: ASRock B250M Pro4 Micro ATX LGA1151 Motherboard, 

Memory: Corsair 8GB (1 x 8GB) DDR4-2133 Memory,

Storage: Seagate Barracuda 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive, 

Video Card: MSI Radeon RX 480 4GB ARMOR OC Video Card, 

Case: Corsair 100R ATX Mid Tower Case , 

Power Supply: Corsair CXM 450W 80+ Bronze Certified Semi-Modular ATX Power Supply, 

Operating System: Microsoft Windows 10 Home Full, 

Wireless Network Adapter: TP-Link TL-WN725N USB 2.0 802.11b/g/n Wi-Fi Adapter, Case Fan: Corsair Air Series White 2 pack 52.2 CFM  120mm Fan

ou do not ask why, you ask why not -me

Remeber kinds, the only differ between screwing around and scince is writing it down. -Adam Savage.

Only two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not even sure of the former. - Albert Einstein.

4 minutes ago, JPotze said:

for as far as i know and have experience with, you cant virtualize on a (cluster) pi. and as a simple nas you can set it up. for surveilance it is not recommended.

so could I have 2 separate clusters of 2 PIs each? And then have one for my cameras and one  for the files?

2 minutes ago, King_of_Oz said:

would a fan work. I have 2 80mm ones lying around

Just now, Joelsome2211 said:

would a fan work. I have 2 80mm ones lying around

You would have to get the heatsinks, then have the fan blowing on them. Having no heatsinks with a fan = no real cooling.

Since I am to lazy to put something interesting here, I will put everything, but slightly abbreviated. Here is everything:

also, some questions to make you wonder about life:

What is I and who is me? Who is you? Which armrest in the movie theatre is yours?

also,

Welcome to the internet, I will be your guide. Or something.

My build:

CPU: Intel Core i5-7400 3.0GHz Quad-Core Processor,

Motherboard: ASRock B250M Pro4 Micro ATX LGA1151 Motherboard, 

Memory: Corsair 8GB (1 x 8GB) DDR4-2133 Memory,

Storage: Seagate Barracuda 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive, 

Video Card: MSI Radeon RX 480 4GB ARMOR OC Video Card, 

Case: Corsair 100R ATX Mid Tower Case , 

Power Supply: Corsair CXM 450W 80+ Bronze Certified Semi-Modular ATX Power Supply, 

Operating System: Microsoft Windows 10 Home Full, 

Wireless Network Adapter: TP-Link TL-WN725N USB 2.0 802.11b/g/n Wi-Fi Adapter, Case Fan: Corsair Air Series White 2 pack 52.2 CFM  120mm Fan

ou do not ask why, you ask why not -me

Remeber kinds, the only differ between screwing around and scince is writing it down. -Adam Savage.

Only two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not even sure of the former. - Albert Einstein.

12 hours ago, Joelsome2211 said:

no to what? I don't need blazingly fast speeds, I will be using old HDDs. So I can't virtualise it with a surveylance and a NAs?

Before we get more into this, do you already own the Pi's or is this a plan for the future? If you don't own them I strongly suggest looking at other options. If you do own them, a potential solution would be to use 3 Pi's as individual camera monitors that all send video feed to the 4th pi that simply acts as storage saving all the video streams. Not sure how to go about doing that but I imagine it would be a lot easier than making a cluster server.

13 hours ago, King_of_Oz said:

i ran a raspberry Pi for about 1 year (first model)

it's no longer a Raspberry Pi, more BlackBerry PI....

to be fair,  i don't think heatsinks for it started arriving until the 2nd revision and i didn't know they existed at all

sooo, unless you want a broken Blackberry PI, get a computer that can do this (your average desktop can handle this very well without problem, so use that)

****SORRY FOR MY ENGLISH IT'S REALLY TERRIBLE*****

Been married to my wife for 3 years now! Yay!

So I would say it is possible, but not something you want to do. With the money you have you can easily get used hardware and have a way more reliable and faster setup than what you can do with raspberry pis.

It may be possible, but nowhere near the land of being recommended. I'd never trust something like that with 2+ TB of surveillance data. 

Main System: Phobos

AMD Ryzen 7 2700 (8C/16T), ASRock B450 Steel Legend, 16GB G.SKILL Aegis DDR4 3000MHz, AMD Radeon RX 570 4GB (XFX), 960GB Crucial M500, 2TB Seagate BarraCuda, Windows 10 Pro for Workstations/macOS Catalina

Secondary System: York

Intel Core i7-2600 (4C/8T), ASUS P8Z68-V/GEN3, 16GB GEIL Enhance Corsa DDR3 1600MHz, Zotac GeForce GTX 550 Ti 1GB, 240GB ADATA Ultimate SU650, Windows 10 Pro for Workstations

Older File Server: Yet to be named

Intel Pentium 4 HT (1C/2T), Intel D865GBF, 3GB DDR 400MHz, ATI Radeon HD 4650 1GB (HIS), 80GB WD Caviar, 320GB Hitachi Deskstar, Windows XP Pro SP3, Windows Server 2003 R2

On ‎10‎/‎03‎/‎2017 at 3:38 PM, CptCarbonat said:

So I would say it is possible, but not something you want to do. With the money you have you can easily get used hardware and have a way more reliable and faster setup than what you can do with raspberry pis.

An old SCSI server?

ah OP is the same guy who has another post open on the same topic just with different hardware being discussed, dude you got solid advice in both of your threads, the fact that you keep ignoring it makes it seem like you dont like the answer so you try sticking with what you wanted to do initially.

for what you want the best you could get is a synology NAS that offer a build in surveillance server and has the speed to store all the video streams and still act as a nas because you might not need blazing speed but your video streams do.

by the way what kind of camera are you using and which framerate do you want to record?
Surveillance is something you can cheap out on if you want to do it right and if you dont want to do it right you can just not do it and safe you the time and money.

20 hours ago, Pixel5 said:

ah OP is the same guy who has another post open on the same topic just with different hardware being discussed, dude you got solid advice in both of your threads, the fact that you keep ignoring it makes it seem like you dont like the answer so you try sticking with what you wanted to do initially.

for what you want the best you could get is a synology NAS that offer a build in surveillance server and has the speed to store all the video streams and still act as a nas because you might not need blazing speed but your video streams do.

by the way what kind of camera are you using and which framerate do you want to record?
Surveillance is something you can cheap out on if you want to do it right and if you dont want to do it right you can just not do it and safe you the time and money.

I was going to use a 480p webcam with 30fps.

The problem with the Raspberry Pi is keeping it running 24x7, I tried doing this with the Raspberry Pi B, Raspberry Pi 2, and Raspberry Pi 3 but all of them would stop responding after 24-48 hours and would require a power cycle to get back online. I switched to the ODroid C1 and it's been running for months without a reboot. As for using it as a surveillance server, I use my NAS for my surveillance server (2x IP cameras, 1080p @ 60FPS) and it only has a single core ARM CPU so a Rapsberry Pi or equivalent is plenty powerful enough.

-KuJoe