Nintendo Switch becomes fastest selling console in Nintendo history

3 hours ago, That Norwegian Guy said:

Or one of the most expensive handheld launches, but sure, pick the narrative that you get most out of.

It has mobile hardware and is judged as a mobile product.

I didn't pick the "narrative". Nintendo did. They call it a home console and intend to replace their home consoles with it. And that's how it should be judged. 

muh specs 

Gaming and HTPC (reparations)- ASUS 1080, MSI X99A SLI Plus, 5820k- 4.5GHz @ 1.25v, asetek based 360mm AIO, RM 1000x, 16GB memory, 750D with front USB 2.0 replaced with 3.0  ports, 2 250GB 850 EVOs in Raid 0 (why not, only has games on it), some hard drives

Screens- Acer preditor XB241H (1080p, 144Hz Gsync), LG 1080p ultrawide, (all mounted) directly wired to TV in other room

Stuff- k70 with reds, steel series rival, g13, full desk covering mouse mat

All parts black

Workstation(desk)- 3770k, 970 reference, 16GB of some crucial memory, a motherboard of some kind I don't remember, Micomsoft SC-512N1-L/DVI, CM Storm Trooper (It's got a handle, can you handle that?), 240mm Asetek based AIO, Crucial M550 256GB (upgrade soon), some hard drives, disc drives, and hot swap bays

Screens- 3  ASUS VN248H-P IPS 1080p screens mounted on a stand, some old tv on the wall above it. 

Stuff- Epicgear defiant (solderless swappable switches), g600, moutned mic and other stuff. 

Laptop docking area- 2 1440p korean monitors mounted, one AHVA matte, one samsung PLS gloss (very annoying, yes). Trashy Razer blackwidow chroma...I mean like the J key doesn't click anymore. I got a model M i use on it to, but its time for a new keyboard. Some edgy Utechsmart mouse similar to g600. Hooked to laptop dock for both of my dell precision laptops. (not only docking area)

Shelf- i7-2600 non-k (has vt-d), 380t, some ASUS sandy itx board, intel quad nic. Currently hosts shared files, setting up as pfsense box in VM. Also acts as spare gaming PC with a 580 or whatever someone brings. Hooked into laptop dock area via usb switch

8 hours ago, Rika Shiguma said:

It also becomes probably the first thing to start having major errors with its design and starts f**ing up. *look up Nintendo Switch painful launch*

1 hour ago, Alesek said:

yeah, you already posted that video in another thread and you also said you dont and will not own Switch so why do you hate on it so much? some people have faulty units, most people dont have any problems with it, same as any other product in history.

This goes for all of these haters... if you dont want it, dont buy it. That you don't like it, doesnt mean that others don't. I bought it and I find it perfect for my needs, but i do wish it'd have some more games and the games wouldnt be so freaking overpriced.

And no, I am not a Nintendo fan, its my first Nintendo console.

I assure you no other console I can think of had such a variety of issues on launch week. (though I don't know much about handhelds having screens and all) Sure 80% or something like that of the 360s preordered online broker, can't beat that, but

bad screens (red hue or clumps of dead pixels (which nintendo claims is fine) or just completely broken)

bad gpus (artifcating)
total failure (nothing on power button)
total failure with high pitched loud noises
chirping while otherwise functioning
wobbly joycons (MIne has this problem)
joycon sync issues even after updates
halt on startup
dock scratches

those are the ones I can think of off the top of my head and I've seen more than a few of each
The ps4 and xbones had problems on lauch, but not as many it would seem and not the variety of issues. This screams rushed manufacturing to me. Sure it's what people get for buying a console on launch, but this is a little much. Also the plastic is thin as fuck, some people's separated with tablet docks, that's another. 

muh specs 

Gaming and HTPC (reparations)- ASUS 1080, MSI X99A SLI Plus, 5820k- 4.5GHz @ 1.25v, asetek based 360mm AIO, RM 1000x, 16GB memory, 750D with front USB 2.0 replaced with 3.0  ports, 2 250GB 850 EVOs in Raid 0 (why not, only has games on it), some hard drives

Screens- Acer preditor XB241H (1080p, 144Hz Gsync), LG 1080p ultrawide, (all mounted) directly wired to TV in other room

All parts black

Workstation(desk)- 3770k, 970 reference, 16GB of some crucial memory, a motherboard of some kind I don't remember, Micomsoft SC-512N1-L/DVI, CM Storm Trooper (It's got a handle, can you handle that?), 240mm Asetek based AIO, Crucial M550 256GB (upgrade soon), some hard drives, disc drives, and hot swap bays

Screens- 3  ASUS VN248H-P IPS 1080p screens mounted on a stand, some old tv on the wall above it. 

Stuff- Epicgear defiant (solderless swappable switches), g600, moutned mic and other stuff. 

Laptop docking area- 2 1440p korean monitors mounted, one AHVA matte, one samsung PLS gloss (very annoying, yes). Trashy Razer blackwidow chroma...I mean like the J key doesn't click anymore. I got a model M i use on it to, but its time for a new keyboard. Some edgy Utechsmart mouse similar to g600. Hooked to laptop dock for both of my dell precision laptops. (not only docking area)

Shelf- i7-2600 non-k (has vt-d), 380t, some ASUS sandy itx board, intel quad nic. Currently hosts shared files, setting up as pfsense box in VM. Also acts as spare gaming PC with a 580 or whatever someone brings. Hooked into laptop dock area via usb switch

1 hour ago, Syntaxvgm said:

I assure you no other console I can think of had such a variety of issues on launch week. (though I don't know much about handhelds having screens and all) Sure 80% or something like that of the 360s preordered online broker, can't beat that, but

bad screens (red hue or clumps of dead pixels (which nintendo claims is fine) or just completely broken)

bad gpus (artifcating)
total failure (nothing on power button)
total failure with high pitched loud noises
chirping while otherwise functioning
wobbly joycons (MIne has this problem)
joycon sync issues even after updates
halt on startup
dock scratches

those are the ones I can think of off the top of my head and I've seen more than a few of each
The ps4 and xbones had problems on lauch, but not as many it would seem and not the variety of issues. This screams rushed manufacturing to me. Sure it's what people get for buying a console on launch, but this is a little much. Also the plastic is thin as fuck, some people's separated with tablet docks, that's another. 

wasnt 360 one big problem at the launch?

5900X

MSI MEG X570 Unify

32GB DDR4 Corsair Vengeance

RTX 3080

Dark Base Pro 900

Corsair RM1000i

7 hours ago, huilun02 said:

How about rgb toilet paper? I'm sure a lot research would have gone into it. Don't think anyone made it yet either. 

What? This comment makes no sense. I'm saying the price of a product doesn't only reflect the hardware. It often costs more to attribute to the R&D.

Wishing leads to ambition and ambition leads to motivation and motivation leads to me building an illegal rocket ship in my backyard.

3 hours ago, Alesek said:

Red ring of death 

15 hours ago, That Norwegian Guy said:

Or maybe because the Switch is priced $100 too high for its hardware. Don't get me started on paid online on top of this.

Don't put words into my mouth, I've bought more Nvidia hardware since I started gaming in the 90s than you have.

dude , online is gonna be like quarter the price of PSN or Xbox Live and that too for a year . I believe ign covered it . Take a look 

7 hours ago, Alesek said:

yes. All the same issue. More a design flaw/single bad part than rushed production imo. Still a crazy percent

muh specs 

All parts black

17 hours ago, That Norwegian Guy said:

Or one of the most expensive handheld launches, but sure, pick the narrative that you get most out of. It has mobile hardware and is judged as a mobile product.

Then lets judge it as such. As a portable console it's by far the most powerful portable console ever released. Even relative to the competition. The GBA was a SNES in an era where we were getting games like Metroid Prime and Halo on home consoles. The DS was an N64 when consoles were doing games like Skyrim and GTA4. The PSP was kinda like an overclocked Dreamcast at the same time. This last console generation the Vita was basically a portable original XBox and the 3DS was a gimped Gamecube. They've all been more than a generation behind.

The Switch? It's half way between the Wii U and the XBOne. As a home console that's not particularly impressive. As a portable that's insane. It's like if instead of the GBA in the early 2000s we got something more along the lines of the 3DS. A gimped Gamecube that you can carry around with you in the Gamecube era. And as such it's reasonably priced I'd argue. In portable mode it has ~2-3hours of battery life in a game like Zelda and ~400GFLOPs to play with. The PS4 in portable mode has 0hours of battery and approximately 0GFLOPs.

17 hours ago, Trik'Stari said:

Considering the design flaws, it's a fairly accurate description.

I got mine at launch and am yet to encounter any of the issues people keep listing. My main criticism is that the JoyCon straps are a bit too fiddly. I haven't hit the battery life wall because frankly playing on a portable for hours on end isn't a thing you want to do. I haven't had connectivity issues with the JoyCon themselves. The controllers themselves aren't perfect but in portable mode and quick two player modes they're fine. And as much as I want the Pro Controller eventually the JoyCon are good enough playing Zelda I find it hard to justify getting them. Yet.

I can't think of anything else people have complained about TBH....

Fools think they know everything, experts know they know nothing

1 minute ago, huilun02 said:

While I agree the Switch is worth it for some people (it sold really well after all), we have to determine the degree of utility it offers the buyer. As of now all it does is play BotW. As someone not particularly fanatic about the game (and upcoming titles), the total cost isn't quite justifiable for me. Not that I think it should cost any less, but if it was a good media player and web browser at the same time, I would be much more inclined to get one. 

Also there is little R&D with regards to the console. It uses existing technology. The processor is made by Nvidia and maybe it costs a lot but that would be on Nvidia, not Nintendo. There has to be profit margin and they can charge however they want to the dismay or pleasure of buyers. 

Of course. I mean I'm not saying the console is great or for everyone by any means. They have to make profit. I'm using R&D very generally here. They have to design the console, create an os, etc. It's not ground breaking, but there was still an investment. 

As far as hardware, lets focus on the gpu. Nvidia makes the gpu, and sells it for a profit to Nintendo then has to sell it back to us for even more so they can make a profit. Every piece of hardware in the system builds up in price due to this simple notion. Same applies for software, design, marketing, etc. 

Wishing leads to ambition and ambition leads to motivation and motivation leads to me building an illegal rocket ship in my backyard.

On 3/7/2017 at 1:11 AM, Eaglerino said:

Ahaha, what? Sales sold from stores don't count now? Who cares what people do with the console after they buy it with their own money? I wish as much as anybody eBay would bar these from being put on their site for like 7 days but that will never happen, eBay gets a cut from all of it too. Completely useless point considering 37% of Steam games or something like that have never been launched. Still sold (or humble bundle I guess).

Then again I thought 4chan said the Switch wasn't selling at all, and a couple of anecdotes from other members in this forum. I guess 4chan isn't very reliable, who knew.

Did you honestly take information from 4chan as truth? 4chan is cancer.

11 hours ago, hydrolyser said:

Did you honestly take information from 4chan as truth? 4chan is cancer.

I didn't but other people sure did

It is excellent news. However, the WiiU did sale well during the first couple of days.

But the excitement for the system is a lot higher than the WiiU ever was, and being marketing properly helps a lot. So we have to wait and see after 1-2 months to really know. But so far so good.

I am sure all third party dev are now paying close attention to the system, and considering games for the systems.

9 hours ago, GoodBytes said:

It is excellent news. However, the WiiU did sale well during the first couple of days.

Well based on what's happening in Australia currently Nintendo has confirmed that Zelda: BotW on Switch is the fastest selling launch game for Nintendo. Beating Wii Sports which was a pack in. They're also advertising it really aggressively. I haven't seen anyone advertise any gaming hardware this aggressively here since the Wii. 

That said, Australia is given a bit of special treatment by Nintendo lately. We get a lot of stuff earlier than the US and stock is usually not an issue. There are still Switch consoles sitting on the shelves ready for people to just walk in and grab. Accessories and games on the other hand....

Fools think they know everything, experts know they know nothing

I've played BOTW and its UHmazing. BUT the A-holes who buy a million Nintendo Switch(s) and then crank those prices up need to be pushed into hong kong traffic the STOCK STRUGGLE is real right now which is perhaps causing a lot of people to question the quality of a game like this one and if its worth it. My moment of justice will be when the same jerks who are selling those consoles now have sitting ducks after Nintendo Re-Stocks the stores and then ILL LOW-BALL EM HARD. Its a game of patience BWHAAHAHAHAHA! >_<

On 3/7/2017 at 3:09 AM, Syntaxvgm said:

it's literally one of the cheapest ever console launches. 

DFAEXzU.png

It may or may not be worth actually buying or may be underpowered, but it's not expensive and I don't know why people keep saying that. Price is like the one thing it's got going for itself right now. 

Game Boy was like $175 in 2017 dollars.

8 hours ago, SteveGrabowski0 said:

Game Boy was like $175 in 2017 dollars.

the game boy was not a home console. I consider the switch a home console as it's supposed to replace it. Yes it's much pricier than a handheld normally. And it's graphics are much closer to home console anyway, leaps ahead of 3ds. BUT since I consider it a home console even though it's amazing for a handheld I consider it really under powered. 

muh specs 

All parts black

Makes sense this would be the fastest selling. I am sure I need to not state the obvious as to why.

COMMUNITY STANDARDS   |   TECH NEWS POSTING GUIDELINES   |   FORUM STAFF

LTT Folding Users Tips, Tricks and FAQ   |   F@H & BOINC Badge Request   |   F@H Contribution    My Rig   |   Project Steamroller

I am a Moderator, but I am fallible. Discuss or debate with me as you will but please do not argue with me as that will get us nowhere.

Spoiler

Character is like a Tree and Reputation like its Shadow. The Shadow is what we think of it; The Tree is the Real thing.  ~ Abraham Lincoln

Reputation is a Lifetime to create but seconds to destroy.

You have enemies? Good. That means you've stood up for something, sometime in your life.  ~ Winston Churchill

Docendo discimus - "to teach is to learn"

CHRISTIAN MEMBER 

On 3/7/2017 at 0:57 AM, suicidalfranco said:

bought the WiiU version, now i just have to wait for CEMU to catch up so i can play it. Can't wait! 

10 march comes out the update that will make  it playable but won't be smooth, i'll probably have to wait a couple months for it to reach perfect status which i don't mind doing if it means enjoying the game at 4K and 60fps from start to finish.

While i wait i'll just give a spin at wind Waker HD, been ignoring it till now.

No emulator as far as I know has not allowed any game to perform better than the base system without issues that will break the software.

So no, you're not getting your 60FPS. 4K sure, but not 60FPS.

EDIT: Actually, I take that back. Emulators will let run the game better than the base system, except it's basically running it faster than "real time".

23 minutes ago, M.Yurizaki said:

No emulator as far as I know has not allowed any game to perform better than the base system without issues that will break the software.

So no, you're not getting your 60FPS. 4K sure, but not 60FPS.

EDIT: Actually, I take that back. Emulators will let run the game better than the base system, except it's basically running it faster than "real time".

it actually really depends if stuff like animations are tied to frame rate. These days they are often not, so it may be possible. Idk how BOTW works but playing it so far it doesn't strike me like they did that given all of the frame rate drops im experiencing on the switch docked

I think even if 60 is not possible without messy issues, I think a lot of people would be satisfied with a stable frame rate. 

muh specs 

All parts black

3 minutes ago, Syntaxvgm said:

it actually really depends if stuff like animations are tied to frame rate. These days they are often not, so it may be possible. Idk how BOTW works 

The logic of games may also depend on a fixed timing period which if you mess with, can mess up the game. With consoles I'm inclined to believe this is much more likely. Especially with 7th gen and before.

6 minutes ago, M.Yurizaki said:

The logic of games may also depend on a fixed timing period which if you mess with, can mess up the game. With consoles I'm inclined to believe this is much more likely. Especially with 7th gen and before.

in the past it was almost a certainty. Now it's not as common, but it's certainly possible on console exclusives. 

muh specs 

All parts black

25 minutes ago, Syntaxvgm said:

in the past it was almost a certainty. Now it's not as common, but it's certainly possible on console exclusives. 

I'm still thinking it's more common than not, because it creates a deterministic system. Determinism is something developers really like having.

This baffles me, as this is probably the weakest launch lineup of any Nintendo console. I mean, the only killer app it has is Zelda, which is available elsewhere. The thing doesn't even have netflix or an internet browser.. I just hope things get better around the holidays, because as it stands I have no reason to buy this thing.

i7 2600k @ 5GHz 1.49v - EVGA GTX 1070 ACX 3.0 - 16GB DDR3 2000MHz Corsair Vengence

Asus p8z77-v lk - 480GB Samsung 870 EVO w/ W10 LTSC - 2x1TB HDD storage - 240GB SATA SSD w/ W7 - EVGA 650w 80+G G2

3x 1080p 60hz Viewsonic LCDs, 1 glorious Dell CRT running at anywhere from 60hz to 120hz

Model M w/ Soarer's adapter - Logitch g502 - Audio-Techinca M20X - Cambridge SoundWorks speakers w/ woofer

Just now, 2Buck said:

This baffles me, as this is probably the weakest launch lineup of any Nintendo console. I mean, the only killer app it has is Zelda, which is available elsewhere. The thing doesn't even have netflix or an internet browser.. I just hope things get better around the holidays, because as it stands I have no reason to buy this thing.

that's the point, it's a game console not a web browser. Zelda is an awesome game, its better than any game i played in few years, its easily my game of the year. Mario cart, splatoon and other first party games will be rolling out with skyrim and other games will be following behind it, Nintendo promised 100 games by end of the year. 

20 minutes ago, 2Buck said:

I think most people bought the system to play AAA home console type games on the go (or anywhere in home), without major downsides. I mean, do you remember people going crazy when they heard that Skyrim was coming to it. Skyrim on the go, it was said joyfully.

Now yes, Skyrim is an old game, but if it can run Skyrim, it can definitely run many great titles. The smart move from Nintendo, is that, instead of having gamers pick a console for the best visuals (as both XBox and PS are the same price console and game), here they can justify the cut in visuals for the on the go aspect. As long as Nintendo online experience is acceptable, it can work.