Windows 10 loses market-share to Windows 7 for second month in a row on Steam hardware survey / again on NetMarketShare

Delicieuxz
3 hours ago, Valentyn said:

It's an extreme measure, but sadly needed. MS really aren't helping themselves here; nor the consumer.

Sadly the switch to Linux is still a pipedream for 99% of all users. :( 

With the newest kernel (4.4.10 which should start shipping in distros like the upcoming ubuntu 17), there is support for some CPU instructions which greatly reduce the overhead communicating between a VM, the host and the host's graphics driver. Meaning you could run Linux and just boot up a windows VM for non-linux games.

Also, from what I can tell so far, older windows games (talking like early 2000s and the 90s) run better through WINE than they do on windows 10. And since roughly 45-50% of steam games have native Linux support, the pipe dream is closer to reality than you might think ;) 

On 4-3-2017 at 11:24 PM, Delicieuxz said:

Do you ever wonder what happens when a newer OS is essentially a re-packaging of its older version, but with adware, data-theft, and many inconveniences put into it, for the purpose of generating daily revenue for the developer, at the expense of all the OS' license-owners? Well, Windows 10 has given us an answer to that question of the ages - and, apparently, it's that people just go back to the earlier, cleaner, more reliable presentation of that OS.

It's probably not surprising to anyone that people want an OS that is about serving them, rather than Microsoft, which is an area in which Windows 10 struggles very badly. I mean, who wants advertisements in their personal space, in the OS-instance which they are the sole owner of? Not me, for sure.

Look at that, someone is angry at Microsoft!

I get it, the points you're making are annoying (I agree) but do you have any proof that the reasons you give are the the cause of the Windows 10 decline? You seem to insinuate that it is but without direct proof. It's not fair to make those assumptions without any direct evidence.

The only thing that makes me sad about Windows 10 is that I cannot see the iPhone folder when I connect it to my PC, which in Windows 7 or 8/8.1 works perfectly. I even had to create a virtual machine running windows 8.1 for this only function. Goddamn Microsoft.

Mobo: ASRock B150M Pro4s | CPU: Intel core i7 7700 with stock cooler | Storages: 2x80GB Seagate Barracuda 7200rpm + Zotac 120GB | Memory: 2x4GB Kingston HyperX Fury | PSU: 400W HYN 80+ | GPU: PowerColor Radeon R9 270X 2GB | Tower: an old one from the other decade | Monitor: ASUS Widescreen 900p + ViewSonic FHD| Speaker: microlab

5 hours ago, Sauron said:

So far I haven't gotten any advertising, if I start getting it I may truly consider going back. Either way the spyware was added to w7, so for that it doesn't really matter.

Game devs and gpu manufacturers, please start supporting linux properly

Only if you install updates, the sad thing is installing updates has a higher risk than not installing them...

1 hour ago, jagdtigger said:

Only if you install updates, the sad thing is installing updates has a higher risk than not installing them...

That's the real sad thing indeed.  For Win7 and Win8.1 users the options are :

1 ) Block all updates -> be very vulnerable to hackers but don't have to worry about "telemetry" and all other kinds of snooping and advertising.

2 ) Allow updates -> still be quite vulnerable to hackers and get the MS nonsense on top.

It's like choosing between the plague and ebola really.

Vista has none of those problems but it's less than a month away from EoL, so that's not really an option anymore either.

That leaves XP with the Embedded/POSready tweak, which has none of that spying/advertising nonsense and gets security updates until 01/2019.  If you care about privacy and security, this is probably going to be the best Windows option for the next (almost) 2 years.

Sure, it also needs some serious tweaking to trick it into running DX11 etc and it will never support internal HDDs of over 2TB, but at least you only need to tweak it once whereas on Win10 you need to check everything again after every minor update. 

I think I'm the only one in the world who has no problem with windows 10. 

CPU: Ryzen 5950X Ram: Corsair Vengeance 32GB DDR4 3600 CL14 | Graphics: GIGABYTE GAMING OC RTX 3090 |  Mobo: GIGABYTE B550 AORUS MASTER | Storage: SEAGATE FIRECUDA 520 2TB PSU: Be Quiet! Dark Power Pro 12 - 1500W | Monitor: Acer Predator XB271HU & LG C1

4 hours ago, mafioso said:

The only thing that makes me sad about Windows 10 is that I cannot see the iPhone folder when I connect it to my PC, which in Windows 7 or 8/8.1 works perfectly. I even had to create a virtual machine running windows 8.1 for this only function. Goddamn Microsoft.

That's... Strange.

i7 2600k @ 5GHz 1.49v - EVGA GTX 1070 ACX 3.0 - 16GB DDR3 2000MHz Corsair Vengence

Asus p8z77-v lk - 480GB Samsung 870 EVO w/ W10 LTSC - 2x1TB HDD storage - 240GB SATA SSD w/ W7 - EVGA 650w 80+G G2

3x 1080p 60hz Viewsonic LCDs, 1 glorious Dell CRT running at anywhere from 60hz to 120hz

Model M w/ Soarer's adapter - Logitch g502 - Audio-Techinca M20X - Cambridge SoundWorks speakers w/ woofer

6 hours ago, pipnina said:

With the newest kernel (4.4.10 which should start shipping in distros like the upcoming ubuntu 17), there is support for some CPU instructions which greatly reduce the overhead communicating between a VM, the host and the host's graphics driver. Meaning you could run Linux and just boot up a windows VM for non-linux games.

Also, from what I can tell so far, older windows games (talking like early 2000s and the 90s) run better through WINE than they do on windows 10. And since roughly 45-50% of steam games have native Linux support, the pipe dream is closer to reality than you might think ;) 

Even with XP. Jazz Jack Rabbit 2 Holiday hare runs better under WINE on a Celeron M380 than under XP. And with higher settings (I was running of the 915GML graphics).

"We also blind small animals with cosmetics.
We do not sell cosmetics. We just blind animals."

"Please don't mistake us for Equifax. Those fuckers are evil"

This PSA brought to you by Equifacks.
PMSL

51 minutes ago, Remixt said:

I think I'm the only one in the world who has no problem with windows 10. 

You're not but it does seem to be a small club

Solve your own audio issues  |  First Steps with RPi 3  |  Humidity & Condensation  |  Sleep & Hibernation  |  Overclocking RAM  |  Making Backups  |  Displays  |  4K / 8K / 16K / etc.  |  Do I need 80+ Platinum?

If you can read this you're using the wrong theme.  You can change it at the bottom.

Windows 10 works for what I need, and I just disable all the privacy settings in it. I also flat out hate using any desktop UI other then windows 10.

Main Rig "Rocinante" - Ryzen 9 5900X, EVGA FTW3 RTX 3080 Ultra Gaming, 32GB 3600MHz DDR4

5 hours ago, 2Buck said:

That's... Strange.

Every single time this is what I get when I try it

Capture.PNG

Mobo: ASRock B150M Pro4s | CPU: Intel core i7 7700 with stock cooler | Storages: 2x80GB Seagate Barracuda 7200rpm + Zotac 120GB | Memory: 2x4GB Kingston HyperX Fury | PSU: 400W HYN 80+ | GPU: PowerColor Radeon R9 270X 2GB | Tower: an old one from the other decade | Monitor: ASUS Widescreen 900p + ViewSonic FHD| Speaker: microlab

18 hours ago, samcool55 said:

What console are you planning to get then?

Xbone isn't an option because MS wants to close the gap between Xbone and desktops, so that will end up being the same disaster.

The switch, too soon to say but imo first signs aren't great, it looks like the nintendo consoles just aren't as solid as before.

PS4, maybe, but then again i won't be surprised they are trying to compete with Xbone so god knows where that will end up.

At least with windows we know sort of where it's going. With consoles it's much more vague and harder to figure out what's next.

I already own a ps4 but most people don't shop for anything other than games and movies or browse the internet or pay bills or do work from a console so the level of access the console will have to personal information from the get go will be limited to media and games purchases. Until consoles resort to packet sniffing I don't think what's happening in windows 10 and what console OSs are doing is really comparable.

4770k @4.4 / 16GB @2400 / Plextor MP5X 128GB / MSI Mpower Z87 / MSI GTX 1070 Armor OC / AX860 / XSPC RX240 & EX240 / Koolance 380i / CM 690 II / Qnix 1440p @96Hz / Benq XL2420G

Current Status: Mourning the loss of my 780 ti 

7 hours ago, Captain Chaos said:

That's the real sad thing indeed.  For Win7 and Win8.1 users the options are :

1 ) Block all updates -> be very vulnerable to hackers but don't have to worry about "telemetry" and all other kinds of snooping and advertising.

2 ) Allow updates -> still be quite vulnerable to hackers and get the MS nonsense on top.

It's like choosing between the plague and ebola really.

Vista has none of those problems but it's less than a month away from EoL, so that's not really an option anymore either.

That leaves XP with the Embedded/POSready tweak, which has none of that spying/advertising nonsense and gets security updates until 01/2019.  If you care about privacy and security, this is probably going to be the best Windows option for the next (almost) 2 years.

Sure, it also needs some serious tweaking to trick it into running DX11 etc and it will never support internal HDDs of over 2TB, but at least you only need to tweak it once whereas on Win10 you need to check everything again after every minor update. 

How would it ever be possible to run XP with Kaby Lake processors?

12 minutes ago, mafioso said:

How would it ever be possible to run MS DOS 3.1 with Haswell Processors?

PMSL

Just now, Dabombinable said:

How would it ever be possible to run MS DOS 3.1 with Haswell Processors?

I'd expect tons of tweaks and tinkerings to make it work then

1 minute ago, mafioso said:

I'd expect tons of tweaks and tinkerings to make it work then

You just install it as normal (albeit, after merging the floppy disks to a bottable CD on another computer).

PMSL

5 hours ago, mafioso said:

DOS, Windows 1, 2, 3... XP, Vista, 7, 8, 10 all run on the x86 instruction set developed by Intel, which "defines how a processor handles and executes different instructions passed from the operating system and software programs." Any x86 OS should run fine on any x86 CPU.

The whole "Kaby Lake will only run on Windows 10" thing is false propaganda, spread by journalists who apparently shouldn't be journalists because they have no idea what they're talking about. What Microsoft said is: "Going forward, as new silicon generations are introduced, they will require the latest Windows platform at that time for support,"  and journalist hacks everywhere turned that into "the new rules mean that future PC owners with next-generation Intel, AMD, and Qualcomm processors will need to use Windows 10" - which is not what Microsoft's statement says, or means.

Microsoft's statements merely means that Microsoft is not going to be lifting a finger to back-add any new features for newer CPUs to their older OSes. But since their older OSes are already designed to work with x86 CPUs, and since newer Intel and AMD CPUs continue to be x86 CPUs, new CPUs are already compatible with older OSes.

If Microsoft said they are no longer offering telephone customer service support for Windows 7, does that mean your Windows 7 won't boot on your PC the next day, despite working properly the day before? No, and Windows 7 will continue to work fine on your PC. Microsoft's claim of no future support for newer CPUs in older Windows OSes is about as concerning.

You own the software that you purchase - Understanding software licenses and EULAs

"We’ll know our disinformation program is complete when everything the american public believes is false" - William Casey, CIA Director 1981-1987

17 hours ago, jagdtigger said:

installing updates has a higher risk than not installing them...

For spyware yes, but honestly I'd rather have spyware from ms than malware from a random guy in russia.

Don't ask to ask, just ask... please 🤨

sudo chmod -R 000 /*

19 minutes ago, Sauron said:

For spyware yes, but honestly I'd rather have spyware from ms than malware from a random guy in russia.

Use your head and you can avoid both ;) .

4 minutes ago, jagdtigger said:

Use your head and you can avoid both ;) .

While being careful is the best protection, it would be stupid and overconfident to think you can avoid all threats. Using outdated software opens you up to significantly more exploits even without doing stupid stuff. Just look at the massive android phone botnet that was born with the dirty cow exploit out of people who didn't update.

sudo chmod -R 000 /*

1 hour ago, Sauron said:

While being careful is the best protection, it would be stupid and overconfident to think you can avoid all threats. Using outdated software opens you up to significantly more exploits even without doing stupid stuff. Just look at the massive android phone botnet that was born with the dirty cow exploit out of people who didn't update.

When you browse the net the main risk is the browser IMHO not the OS. BTW android is a bad analogy, the main problem there is that manufacturers do not update their phones os, maybe once but only in the top tier...

Edited by jagdtigger

19 minutes ago, jagdtigger said:

When you browse the net the main risk is the browser IMHO not the OS. BTW android is a bad analogy, the main problem there is that manufacturers do not update their phones os, maybe once but only in the top tier...

Not in the case I mentioned, it was about a vulnerability in the linux kernel and updates were issued almost immediately - issued, but not downloaded. When you're connected to a network everything can potentially be a risk - the browser is exposed to danger more than the rest of the software, but that doesn't mean it's the ONLY thing at risk.

sudo chmod -R 000 /*

3 minutes ago, Sauron said:

Not in the case I mentioned, it was about a vulnerability in the linux kernel and updates were issued almost immediately - issued, but not downloaded. When you're connected to a network everything can potentially be a risk - the browser is exposed to danger more than the rest of the software, but that doesn't mean it's the ONLY thing at risk.

You dont understand how android works. Even if the kernel  was updated and google applies it to the vanilla android then the manufacturers have to implement it into their own android "fork". But the manufacturers greedy so they do not do it and even if the users want the update they wont get it. Its not a desktop linux...

Now then onto other vulnerabilities most of them wont worth a cent if the PC is not directly exposed to the net. And in most cases it isnt(routers, CGN, etc...) Plus if you have a good firewall with HIPS the risk is even smaller.

41 minutes ago, jagdtigger said:

You dont understand how android works. Even if the kernel  was updated and google applies it to the vanilla android then the manufacturers have to implement it into their own android "fork". But the manufacturers greedy so they do not do it and even if the users want the update they wont get it. Its not a desktop linux...

Now then onto other vulnerabilities most of them wont worth a cent if the PC is not directly exposed to the net. And in most cases it isnt(routers, CGN, etc...) Plus if you have a good firewall with HIPS the risk is even smaller.

every manufacturer I know of did that with this particular exploit.

sudo chmod -R 000 /*

Not surprising.

I installed Windows 10 on my new PC on Saturday and I went back to 7 yesterday due to performance issues, driver crashes (might not be Micropenis' fault) and downloads of shitty Windows Store "apps".

Windows 10 is buggy, slow and full of ads.

IMO, it sucks.

bregsit

Spoiler

PC specs: i7 4770s, Zotac GTX 1070 Mini, 16GB DDR3L 1600MHz (2x8GB, cheap Crucial RAM), Crucial BX500 480GB , 2x WD Blue 1TB, Seagate Barracuda 1TB, Windows 7

Laptop Specs: i5 5350U, Intel HD something, 8GB (probably DDR3 idk), 128GB Samsung(?) SSD, MacOS whatever the newest one is