7700k vs 1800X at 4k with 1080 TI SLI.

In my case described below, which one would you pick?  

60 members have voted

1. 1. Which one would you pick in my case?

• 1800X

20 hours ago, BandarXCII said:

What about 3440x1440 Ultrawides? I have an Ultrawide and I'm wondering if I should get the 7700K or Ryzen for 1080 Ti.

Ryzen seems to be a good chip, the thing that needs to be improved is the platform if you are not in a hurry to build a system wait for 1-2 months (in order to  get an aftermarket 1080ti as well ). 

As far as it concerns the Ultrawide it is the same concept as 4K. 

//Case: Phanteks 400 TGE //Mobo: Asus x470-F Strix //CPU: R5 2600X //CPU Cooler: Corsair H100i v2 //RAM: G-Skill RGB 3200mhz //HDD: WD Caviar Black 1tb //SSD: Samsung 970 Evo 250Gb //GPU: GTX 1050 Ti //PSU: Seasonic MII EVO m2 520W

On 3/3/2017 at 0:42 AM, TheNaitsyrk said:

Hiho just seen the benchmarks for 1800x and they're pretty good but I expected a little more out of it in terms of gaming. I play a lot but I do my University work (Game development e.g. Unity, Unreal Engine etc.) And I don't know which to pick.

I am planning to buy 2x 1080 TI. Buying 7700k would help me get the 2nd 1080 TI a little bit more as I save £300. 

I play at 4k therefore frames might be similar if not same as GPU bottleneck is inevitable. 

I pre-ordered 1800X and I can still cancel this order as it wasn't shipped yet. Opinions?

If you go Ryzen, consider 1700. Remember that the platform is still Immature

It runs cooler and overclocks to similar speeds to 1800X plus you only spending about the same as a 7700K. For any  Ryzen build you want the fasted RAM you can get using Samsung b-die chips. The g.Skill Trident Z range seems to be the best range at present and 16 GB (2x8) @ 3600MHZ is about as fast as they can get ram running now and will help boost performance.

Dont buy a cheapy motherboard if you want ultimate performance. You want a board that has an external clock such as Asus CH6, Gigabyte Gaming 5 or Asrock Taichi or gaming pro (I assume the MSI Titanium as well but not sure) so you can make use of the bclk for maximizing Ram speeds. Cheap boards cannot do bclk overclocking and will be stuck with lower Ram speeds and lower performance

Gaming benchmarks at 4K are the same as 7700K. Even 1080p benchmarks that appear weaker were all done using a Titan X that generates so many FPS that the data Fabric bandwidth of the Ryzen SOC gets overloaded and bottlenecks the GPU PCIe connectivity when the CPU is also doing all the physics calculations and using the Data Fabric for memory access and the CCX modules doing thread switching. The framerates that the Ryzen still achieves are still very playable. The available bandwidth is directly related to your installed Ram speeds. I think that it is a safe bet that the lower PCIe overhead compared to Intel, in areas that people will normally not venture is a power saving thing.

A 1060 at 1080p will perform in games at the same framerates on both systems at 1080p so things are not as bad as all the doom mongers would have you believe..

On 3/10/2017 at 4:44 PM, TheNaitsyrk said:

I bought back 6800k. Not gonna wait for optimisations and weird thermals. 60 degrees on idle? No thank you. 80 to 90 degrees max temp? No thank you. Overclocking is a nightmare? No thank you. Waiting is not my thing. I waited long enough.

Great, then stop complaining and buy Ryzen. Good luck with SLI, gonna be very useful only if you have at least 100hz 4k display. 1x is more than enough, and some games don't even scale well. I myself had SLI and some games didn't even use the 2nd GPU. I'm changed my mind and I'll be going with only 1x 1080 TI, pointless money wasting with SLI. I had 4790k and I never complained, you must be one unique touchy snowflake. (I'd still have it, but I had resources to upgrade so I did, because I could).

I managed to get my 6800K to 4.5Ghz which gives me around 1400 in multi core, and I'm happy with it. No issues with RAM and other things, and since Intel dropped prices I managed to buy it back for less (£270 only) and I already had high end Asus Rampage V Extreme so I'm fine.

350 less multi score for £230 less? I am most definitely okay with that.

Thanks for contributions.

You need to keep up better. 60 degree Idles were resolved with the latest bios update yesterday or the day before. ;-)

The joys of immature platforms.

it depends on if it is just for just gaming than an i7 will be much better but if you are streaming, recording and doing other heavy workloads that favour more cpu cores than an 1800x will be a great choice for you. like I said before if you are just gaming then the i7 will be a great choice.

On 3/10/2017 at 3:44 AM, TheNaitsyrk said:

I bought back 6800k. Not gonna wait for optimisations and weird thermals. 60 degrees on idle? No thank you. 80 to 90 degrees max temp? No thank you. Overclocking is a nightmare? No thank you. Waiting is not my thing. I waited long enough.

Great, then stop complaining and buy Ryzen. Good luck with SLI, gonna be very useful only if you have at least 100hz 4k display. 1x is more than enough, and some games don't even scale well. I myself had SLI and some games didn't even use the 2nd GPU. I'm changed my mind and I'll be going with only 1x 1080 TI, pointless money wasting with SLI. I had 4790k and I never complained, you must be one unique touchy snowflake. (I'd still have it, but I had resources to upgrade so I did, because I could).

I managed to get my 6800K to 4.5Ghz which gives me around 1400 in multi core, and I'm happy with it. No issues with RAM and other things, and since Intel dropped prices I managed to buy it back for less (£270 only) and I already had high end Asus Rampage V Extreme so I'm fine.

Of course you never complained with your 4790k, because you weren't using it for anything other than web browsing and playing small games. In my usage scenario, it sucks. 4c/8t is not enough. Don't come saying I'm a special snow flake when you're the one who bought a 4790k for simply web browsing and playing small title games. There's those of us who render, content create, and depend on saving as much time as possible. You might as well have gotten an i5. I also do 1440p /165hz and I'd like to always set every game setting to ultra (with the exception of msaa) without every sacrificing frame rates. Again, I'll reiterate- if you don't even do heavy cpu intensive tasks you look like a fool for having brought up the argument that my opinion is invalid and nonsensical when I've had this 4770k for years and OC'd to ~4.6Ghz and have been increasing my workload to the point that it's justified needing and wanting more out of a cpu. You also look like a fool for having gotten a 6800k when you've only specified you web browse and play small title games, we don't all shit money out of every orpheus like you.

17 minutes ago, Demorthus said:

Of course you never complained with your 4790k, because you weren't using it for anything other than web browsing and playing small games. In my usage scenario, it sucks. 4c/8t is not enough. Don't come saying I'm a special snow flake when you're the one who bought a 4790k for simply web browsing and playing small title games. There's those of us who render, content create, and depend on saving as much time as possible. You might as well have gotten an i5. I also do 1440p /165hz and I'd like to always set every game setting to ultra (with the exception of msaa) without every sacrificing frame rates. Again, I'll reiterate- if you don't even do heavy cpu intensive tasks you look like a fool for having brought up the argument that my opinion is invalid and nonsensical when I've had this 4770k for years and OC'd to ~4.6Ghz and have been increasing my workload to the point that it's justified needing and wanting more out of a cpu. You also look like a fool for having gotten a 6800k when you've only specified you web browse and play small title games, we don't all shit money out of every orpheus like you.

Calm down. Noone here wants to deal with people trying to start fights

CPU: I5 4590 Motherboard: ASROCK H97 Pro4 Ram: XPG 16gb v2.0 4x4 kit  GPU: Gigabyte GTX 970 PSU: EVGA 550w Supernova G2 Storage: 128 gb Sandisk SSD + 525gb Mx300 SSD Cooling: Be Quiet! Shadow Rock LP Case: Zalman T2 Sound: Logitech Z506 5.1 Mouse: Razer Deathadder Chroma Keyboard: DBPower LED

6 hours ago, Moress said:

Since when is replying with justification a "fight"

Its a discussion. Heated maybe, but hardly a fight.

Maximums - Asus Z97-K /w i5 4690 Bclk @106.9Mhz * x39 = 4.17Ghz, 8GB of 2600Mhz DDR3,.. Gigabyte GTX970 G1-Gaming @ 1550Mhz

Just now, SkilledRebuilds said:

Since when is replying with justification a "fight"

Its a discussion. Heated maybe, but hardly a fight.

Saying that one product is better than another is a discussion, saying one company sucks is heated. Accusing someone of having money coming out of their asshole is starting a fight.

CPU: I5 4590 Motherboard: ASROCK H97 Pro4 Ram: XPG 16gb v2.0 4x4 kit  GPU: Gigabyte GTX 970 PSU: EVGA 550w Supernova G2 Storage: 128 gb Sandisk SSD + 525gb Mx300 SSD Cooling: Be Quiet! Shadow Rock LP Case: Zalman T2 Sound: Logitech Z506 5.1 Mouse: Razer Deathadder Chroma Keyboard: DBPower LED

On Tuesday, March 14, 2017 at 8:57 PM, Demorthus said:

How fucking dare you. I was playing games at 4K, rendering shit loads of videos for my University and creating games in Unity and Unreal Engine 4. 4790K is still enough for it. You're clearly a special snowflake.

On Wednesday, March 15, 2017 at 4:01 AM, Moress said:

Saying that one product is better than another is a discussion, saying one company sucks is heated. Accusing someone of having money coming out of their asshole is starting a fight.

Agreed, however this thread is concluded. 6800k wins because it is cheaper and the performance is there. I only paid half of what I would pay for Ryzen 1800X so I'm not complaining.

On Tuesday, March 14, 2017 at 9:16 PM, Moress said:

Agreed. I'll just block that scum. I'll never have to deal with him again.

Thread concluded thanks for the help my dudes.

Main PC:

CPU: Intel Core i9 13900KS SP 116 (124P-102E) (6.1Ghz P-Cores 4.8Ghz E-cores) MC SP 88

CPU Voltage: LLC8 1.525V (real voltage 1.425V + - Temps 85-90 P-Cores, 70-73 E-cores)

Cooled by: Supercool Direct Die 14th gen full nickel

Motherboard: Z790 ASUS Maximus Apex Encore

RAM: GSkill TridentZ 2x24GB DDR5 8600Mhz CL38 (OC from 8000Mhz CL40)

GPU: RTX MSI 4090 Suprim X with EKWB waterblock

Case: My own case fabricated out of aluminium and wood

Storage: 4x 2TB Sarbent Rocket Plus Gen 4.0 NVMe, 1x External 2TB Seagate Barracuda (Backup)

WiFi: BE202 WiFi 7 Tri-Band card module

PSU: Corsair AX1600i with custom black and red cables with 2x Corsair 5V+ Load Balancer

Display: Samsung Oddysey G9 240Hz Ver. 5120x1440 with G-Sync and Freesync Premium Pro 1008 Firmware Ver, and 1x Electriq USB C 1080p 15'8 inch IPS portable display for temperature and stats, MSI 23'8 144Hz G-Sync

Fan Controllers:  6x AquaComputer Octo with 5 temperature sensors

Cooling: Three Custom Loops:

1st Loop: 5x 480mm XE CoolStream radiators with 1x Revo D5 RGB pump and 1x Rajintek Antila D5 Evo RGB pump for GPU only cooling with 2x Koolance QDC3, red coolant

2nd Loop: 5x 480mm XE CoolStream radiators with 1x Revo D5 RGB pump and 1x Rajintek Antila D5 Evo RGB pump for CPU only cooling with 2x Koolance QDC3, purple coolant

3rd Loop: 1x 240mm PE CoolStream radiator with 1x EKWB Revo D5 pump (RAM ONLY)

Total: 5x pumps and 13x radiators 50x 3000RPM Noctua Industrial fans

Keyboard: Razer BlackWidow V3 RGB - Green switches

Sound: Logitech Z680 5.1 THX Certified 505W Speakers

Mouse: Razer Basilisk Ultimate Wireless with charging dock

Piano: Yamaha P155

Phone: Oppo Find X5 Pro

Camera: Logitech Brio Pro 4K

VR: Oculus Rift S

External SSD: 256GB Overclocking OS

LaptopMSI Titan GT77HX V13RTX 4090 175W, i9 13980HX OC: P-Cores 5.8Ghz 3 cores and 5.2Ghz 5 cores and E-Cores 4.3Ghz, 192GB of RAM @5600Mhz @3600 (chipset limit),

12TB (3x4TB) of NVMe, 17'3 inch 4K 144Hz MiniLED screen, 4x 17'3 ASUS portable USB-C Monitors 240Hz, Creative Sound Blaster G6 Sound Card, Portable 16TB NVMe in TB4 enclosures (8x2TB), Razer Basilisk Ultimate Wireless with charging dock gaming mouse, Keychron K3 gaming keyboard with blue switches low profile, Logitech Brio 4K Webcam.

Hand held: ROG Ally with XG Mobile RTX 3080 with Keychron K3 low profile keyboard (Blue Switches) and Razer Hyperspeed V3 mouse and 4TB NVMe upgrade (WDBlack SN850X), with 100W 20000Mah power bank and portable monitor ROG XG17AHP 17'3 inch 240Hz with built in battery, and 518Wh Power station for Camping.

• 3 months later...
On 3/10/2017 at 2:44 AM, TheNaitsyrk said:

I made an account just to correct you on this. 

Bios currently is displaying a temperature offset with Ryzen currently. Ryzen Master displays the actual temperatures of the chipsets. Mine under an AIO idles at 18 Celsius clocked and tops out no higher than 35 during AIDA64 and Intel burn test, stable. 

You being speedy with your choice when you just need to wait and work around optimizational things for a little is not a good spending decision. 

I used a 7700k and enjoy 4k gaming on it, but the Ryzen gives me so much better of a work experience and I trade blows with my 7700k without the stuttering or frame dips during games. 

Ryzen is the better chip currently unless you play 1080p. Even with a 6800k, it's the better chip. 

20 minutes ago, Aeredon said:

I made an account just to correct you on this. 

Bios currently is displaying a temperature offset with Ryzen currently. Ryzen Master displays the actual temperatures of the chipsets. Mine under an AIO idles at 18 Celsius clocked and tops out no higher than 35 during AIDA64 and Intel burn test, stable. 

You being speedy with your choice when you just need to wait and work around optimizational things for a little is not a good spending decision. 

I used a 7700k and enjoy 4k gaming on it, but the Ryzen gives me so much better of a work experience and I trade blows with my 7700k without the stuttering or frame dips during games. 

Ryzen is the better chip currently unless you play 1080p. Even with a 6800k, it's the better chip. 

You are wrong. I currently play multiple games at 4K and it's amazing. I know there is an offset of -20 degrees? You think you're the only one who knows about it? My CPU tops out at 66C under AIDA when OC to 4.0Ghz just like Linuses (although my one is 7C lower for some reason).

Main PC:

CPU: Intel Core i9 13900KS SP 116 (124P-102E) (6.1Ghz P-Cores 4.8Ghz E-cores) MC SP 88

CPU Voltage: LLC8 1.525V (real voltage 1.425V + - Temps 85-90 P-Cores, 70-73 E-cores)

Cooled by: Supercool Direct Die 14th gen full nickel

Motherboard: Z790 ASUS Maximus Apex Encore

RAM: GSkill TridentZ 2x24GB DDR5 8600Mhz CL38 (OC from 8000Mhz CL40)

GPU: RTX MSI 4090 Suprim X with EKWB waterblock

Case: My own case fabricated out of aluminium and wood

Storage: 4x 2TB Sarbent Rocket Plus Gen 4.0 NVMe, 1x External 2TB Seagate Barracuda (Backup)

WiFi: BE202 WiFi 7 Tri-Band card module

PSU: Corsair AX1600i with custom black and red cables with 2x Corsair 5V+ Load Balancer

Display: Samsung Oddysey G9 240Hz Ver. 5120x1440 with G-Sync and Freesync Premium Pro 1008 Firmware Ver, and 1x Electriq USB C 1080p 15'8 inch IPS portable display for temperature and stats, MSI 23'8 144Hz G-Sync

Fan Controllers:  6x AquaComputer Octo with 5 temperature sensors

Cooling: Three Custom Loops:

1st Loop: 5x 480mm XE CoolStream radiators with 1x Revo D5 RGB pump and 1x Rajintek Antila D5 Evo RGB pump for GPU only cooling with 2x Koolance QDC3, red coolant

2nd Loop: 5x 480mm XE CoolStream radiators with 1x Revo D5 RGB pump and 1x Rajintek Antila D5 Evo RGB pump for CPU only cooling with 2x Koolance QDC3, purple coolant

3rd Loop: 1x 240mm PE CoolStream radiator with 1x EKWB Revo D5 pump (RAM ONLY)

Total: 5x pumps and 13x radiators 50x 3000RPM Noctua Industrial fans

Keyboard: Razer BlackWidow V3 RGB - Green switches

Sound: Logitech Z680 5.1 THX Certified 505W Speakers

Mouse: Razer Basilisk Ultimate Wireless with charging dock

Piano: Yamaha P155

Phone: Oppo Find X5 Pro

Camera: Logitech Brio Pro 4K

VR: Oculus Rift S

External SSD: 256GB Overclocking OS

LaptopMSI Titan GT77HX V13RTX 4090 175W, i9 13980HX OC: P-Cores 5.8Ghz 3 cores and 5.2Ghz 5 cores and E-Cores 4.3Ghz, 192GB of RAM @5600Mhz @3600 (chipset limit),

12TB (3x4TB) of NVMe, 17'3 inch 4K 144Hz MiniLED screen, 4x 17'3 ASUS portable USB-C Monitors 240Hz, Creative Sound Blaster G6 Sound Card, Portable 16TB NVMe in TB4 enclosures (8x2TB), Razer Basilisk Ultimate Wireless with charging dock gaming mouse, Keychron K3 gaming keyboard with blue switches low profile, Logitech Brio 4K Webcam.

Hand held: ROG Ally with XG Mobile RTX 3080 with Keychron K3 low profile keyboard (Blue Switches) and Razer Hyperspeed V3 mouse and 4TB NVMe upgrade (WDBlack SN850X), with 100W 20000Mah power bank and portable monitor ROG XG17AHP 17'3 inch 240Hz with built in battery, and 518Wh Power station for Camping.