Windows 10 will soon let you block desktop apps from installing.

NTDaws

Windows 10 will soon allow you to block desktop apps from installing. This is very similar to how Mac OS prevents unsigned apps from installing or iOS in general. Basically anything that isn't in the store isn't allowed to be installed.

Spoiler

Microsoft is adding a last-minute feature to its Windows 10 Creators Update that is designed to block desktop apps from installing.

Nothing very much to say about this, just thought I would see some opinions on this.

windows_10.png

Kind of like Windows 10 Cloud.

Original Article from The Verge

The geek himself.

well I guess it will prevent unwanted things from installing unless the user allows it, which is good imo

Spoiler

My system is the Dell Inspiron 15 5559 Microsoft Signature Edition

The Austrailian king of LTT said that I'm awesome and a funny guy. the greatest psu list known to man DDR3 ram guide

i got 477 posts in my first 30 days on LinusTechTips.com

This is only acceptable if it's opt-in, which I am sure it won't be.

My Build:

Spoiler

CPU: i7 4770k GPU: GTX 780 Direct CUII Motherboard: Asus Maximus VI Hero SSD: 840 EVO 250GB HDD: 2xSeagate 2 TB PSU: EVGA Supernova G2 650W

1 minute ago, Centurius said:

well in the image it says view settings so i'm guessing it is an opt-in thing, why else would they that in the pop up

Spoiler

The Austrailian king of LTT said that I'm awesome and a funny guy. the greatest psu list known to man DDR3 ram guide

2 minutes ago, Centurius said:

it appears to be off by default, but knowing MS' history ... they will push their shit universal platform down our throats if we like it or not

because security -_-

Just now, themaniac said:

well in the image it says view settings so i'm guessing it is an opt-in thing, why else would they that in the pop up

The ability to change settings does not make it opt-in but only establishes that at least it's opt-out.

My Build:

Spoiler

CPU: i7 4770k GPU: GTX 780 Direct CUII Motherboard: Asus Maximus VI Hero SSD: 840 EVO 250GB HDD: 2xSeagate 2 TB PSU: EVGA Supernova G2 650W

Well if its similar to unsigned apps in Apple computers and you can change the setting, this is a very good thing for general consumers. If not, then Microsoft is gonna learn real fast what they need to do.

Da Rig : Mobo: Asus M5A97-r2.0 | Cpu: FX-8320 (4.1ghz) Stock cooler | Gpu: Sapphire R9 290 | RAM: 16GB Patriot Intel Extreme (1600mhz...for now >:]) | PSU: Antec 620w continuous | SSD: Corsair Force 60gb (boot) | HDD: WD 500GB 7200rpm  WD Blue 1TB | OS: WIndows 7 Ultimate 64-bit |

Just now, Centurius said:

The ability to change settings does not make it opt-in but only establishes that at least it's opt-out.

if your able to opt-out then your definitely able to opt-in so yeah it does make it opt-in

Spoiler

1 minute ago, Peacefulwarrior said:

Well if its similar to unsigned apps in Apple computers and you can change the setting, this is a very good thing for general consumers. If not, then Microsoft is gonna learn real fast what they need to do.

this goes beyond that

Windows already tells you if the software you want to install is known / unknown

this forces you to install only software from MS' Store

2 minutes ago, Centurius said:

It's opt-in, and extremely likely to stay that way. Microsoft would be inspiring a mass exodus to Windows 7, Linux, and Android if they ever removed the opt-in aspect.

There are too many programs and games that are alive and well that don't exist in UWP, and never will, to make this feasible for quite some time.

If anything, I'd say that this option is LONG overdue in Windows Home, especially when one considers how many children can use computers, but don't understand safe computing practices or the malware riddled advertising platforms that Google and Facebook refuse to clean.

3 minutes ago, themaniac said:

if your able to opt-out then your definitely able to opt-in so yeah it does make it opt-in

Opt-in means you have to activate it. Opt-out means it's activated by default.

Come Bloody Angel

Break off your chains

And look what I've found in the dirt.

Pale battered body

Seems she was struggling

Something is wrong with this world.

Fierce Bloody Angel

The blood is on your hands

Why did you come to this world?

Everybody turns to dust.

Everybody turns to dust.

The blood is on your hands.

The blood is on your hands!

Pyo.

2 minutes ago, Drak3 said:

If anything, I'd say that this option is LONG overdue in Windows Home, especially when one considers how many children can use computers, but don't understand safe computing practices or the malware riddled advertising platforms that Google and Facebook refuse to clean.

what?!? o.O

forcing people to install apps only from MS' Store makes the computer children carefree because !?!?

there's no content worthwhile to install in the Store

if children don't understand computers, children should not be near a computer - parenting 1 on 1

4 minutes ago, zMeul said:

what?!? o.O

forcing people to install apps only from MS' Store makes the computer children carefree because !?!?

if children don't understand computers, children should not be near a computer - parenting 1 on 1

and that's where you fail to understand, most parents are absolute idiots when it comes to computers and tech in general

Spoiler

1 minute ago, zMeul said:

what?!? o.O

First off, it's "Parenting 101." Second, why should a child have no access to computers if they don't understand them fully? I didn't understand them much at all when I was like 4 or 5 and I was able to use my parents' computers for games and stuff no problem, and I didn't break anything. Same with both of my siblings. We were all very responsible with them, and with proper protections in place there is little risk to be found. I don't know where you're coming from. And for children to be prepared for our increasingly focused lives on computer and technology, they kinda need to be exposed to them at an early age. What do you think sparked my interest in them and led me to learn so much about them?

Why is the God of Hyperdeath SO...DARN...CUTE!?

Also, if anyone has their mind corrupted by an anthropomorphic black latex bat, please let me know. I would like to join you.

3 minutes ago, themaniac said:

and that's where you fail to understand, most parents are absolute idiots when it comes to computers and tech in general

oh I understand, people like those should not be allowed to have offsprings

return them and ask your money back, you failed misably

Didn't take long for the pessimism to make an appearance ...

COMMUNITY STANDARDS   |   TECH NEWS POSTING GUIDELINES   |   FORUM STAFF

LTT Folding Users Tips, Tricks and FAQ   |   F@H & BOINC Badge Request   |   F@H Contribution    My Rig   |   Project Steamroller

I am a Moderator, but I am fallible. Discuss or debate with me as you will but please do not argue with me as that will get us nowhere.

Spoiler

Character is like a Tree and Reputation like its Shadow. The Shadow is what we think of it; The Tree is the Real thing.  ~ Abraham Lincoln

Reputation is a Lifetime to create but seconds to destroy.

You have enemies? Good. That means you've stood up for something, sometime in your life.  ~ Winston Churchill

Docendo discimus - "to teach is to learn"

CHRISTIAN MEMBER 

11 minutes ago, Shakaza said:

First off, it's "Parenting 101." Second, why should a child have no access to computers if they don't understand them fully? I didn't understand them much at all when I was like 4 or 5 and I was able to use my parents' computers for games and stuff no problem, and I didn't break anything. Same with both of my siblings. We were all very responsible with them, and with proper protections in place there is little risk to be found. I don't know where you're coming from. And for children to be prepared for our increasingly focused lives on computer and technology, they kinda need to be exposed to them at an early age. What do you think sparked my interest in them and led me to learn so much about them?

children under a certain age cannot make correct decisions and it's up to the parents/teachers to supervise them

I forgot the test / study name

a group of children is shown two glasses (one slim and tall / the other fat and small) both filled with the same amount of water - when asked if any of the glasses has same amount of water or which glass has more water, the children will always answer that the tallest glass has more water

le: Piaget's Theory of Conservation

Edited by zMeul

1 minute ago, zMeul said:

what?!? o.O

Perhaps you missed this crucial point: it's opt in. It's no different from the existing program installation settings regarding security, except that this one only allows installation of executable code from an app platform that's significantly more vetted than Google's malware add that pops up in a Minecraft wiki page, or the "hot new game on facebook" that 'borrows' any credit card details that can be traced through that computer. Those little things that even people that mostly practice safe browsing can fall for.

Also, a walled sandbox is the first step and tool of letting a child experience the real world. Eventually, it's not needed, and when that happens, it's done away with. Parenting 101 isn't a valid excuse for this, as the needs of children vary greatly. One kid could play in the sandbox by themselves, with no help or instruction, and figure out fairly quickly. The next might occationally ask for help, and move on when they're confident they can handle the next step. Another one might need their hand held constantly.

Come Bloody Angel

Break off your chains

And look what I've found in the dirt.

Pale battered body

Seems she was struggling

Something is wrong with this world.

Fierce Bloody Angel

The blood is on your hands

Why did you come to this world?

Everybody turns to dust.

Everybody turns to dust.

The blood is on your hands.

The blood is on your hands!

Pyo.

6 minutes ago, zMeul said:

this goes beyond that

Windows already tells you if the software you want to install is known / unknown

this forces you to install only software from MS' Store

This does not force you to install from the MS Store, you have multiple options as listed from this screenshot: vmplayer_2017-02-26_10-57-01.png

From Sweeny's tweet, link: https://mspoweruser.com/microsoft-just-added-the-best-way-of-preventing-installation-of-bloatware-in-windows-10/

Correct me if im wrong or if im just ultimately blind on this.

Da Rig : Mobo: Asus M5A97-r2.0 | Cpu: FX-8320 (4.1ghz) Stock cooler | Gpu: Sapphire R9 290 | RAM: 16GB Patriot Intel Extreme (1600mhz...for now >:]) | PSU: Antec 620w continuous | SSD: Corsair Force 60gb (boot) | HDD: WD 500GB 7200rpm  WD Blue 1TB | OS: WIndows 7 Ultimate 64-bit |

18 minutes ago, Peacefulwarrior said:

-

let's discuss why this is utter shit

• it's opt in - that makes the existence of this feature utter irrelevant; "Microsoft just added the best way of preventing installation of bloatware" - utter bullcrap
  • for this feature to actually matter, there needs to be a Store app for every piece of software in existence that you can download from anywhere
  • it doesn't prevent bloatware! MS themselves push bloatware on W10 machines, they don't even ask you for permission: just 4 months ago .. Candy Crush Soda Saga 

Something the OP did not mention.

The actual title of the article;

Microsoft just added the best way of preventing installation of bloatware in Windows 10

And a few quotes that make a difference;

This feature is obviously disabled by default, but users can enable it really easily if they want. I will repeat in case you didn’t understand it the first time: this feature is completely disabled by default in Windows 10.

With the upcoming Windows 10 Creators Update, Microsoft is adding a brand new feature to Windows that will help prevent installation of bloatware in Windows 10. Microsoft is currently testing a new feature which will allow Windows 10 users to only install apps from the Windows Store — preventing them from installing the classic Win32 apps. Once enabled, users will see a warning whenever they try to install a Win32 app — they will get a dialog saying apps from the Windows Store helps to keep their PC “safe and reliable.”

Kinda helps dontcha think?

*edit

Microsoft offers two different options for the feature: you can completely prevent installation of Win32 apps, or you can allow users to install them anyway from the dialog as you can see in the screenshot above.

Microsoft is also working on a new SKU of Windows 10 that will completely prevent users from installing the Win32 apps,

So this will not be a pushed update to everyone just certain SKU's for release.

Lets not blow this out of proportion.

COMMUNITY STANDARDS   |   TECH NEWS POSTING GUIDELINES   |   FORUM STAFF

LTT Folding Users Tips, Tricks and FAQ   |   F@H & BOINC Badge Request   |   F@H Contribution    My Rig   |   Project Steamroller

I am a Moderator, but I am fallible. Discuss or debate with me as you will but please do not argue with me as that will get us nowhere.

Spoiler

Character is like a Tree and Reputation like its Shadow. The Shadow is what we think of it; The Tree is the Real thing.  ~ Abraham Lincoln

Reputation is a Lifetime to create but seconds to destroy.

You have enemies? Good. That means you've stood up for something, sometime in your life.  ~ Winston Churchill

Docendo discimus - "to teach is to learn"

CHRISTIAN MEMBER 

Just now, zMeul said:

let's discuss why this is utter shit and will turn into on by default

• it's opt in - that makes the existence of this feature utter irrelevant: Microsoft just added the best way of preventing installation of bloatware - utter bullcrap
  • for this feature to actually matter, there needs to be a Store app for every piece of software in existence that you can download from anywhere

I agree the title of that article he tweeted is stupid/bs. My main concern was, did they implement an option to turn this feature off or actually have some sort of options for users. According to this, yes....for now. Which, I can see it going in a totally shitty direction or still allowing flexibility of your OS.

1 hour ago, themaniac said:

There's a sizable difference between a security feature that must be turned on by the user and a security feature that's turned on by default. Opt out =/= opt in.

Aerocool DS are the best fans you've never tried.