What is your job ?

1 minute ago, Radiant said:

in the next few weeks, i am going to get into python (again after not using it for a year), and next week i am buying a HP DL380 g5 (hope itll be alright) to then host maybe a website and somekind of game server.... is dreamliner also good for simple website design?

You mean dreamweaver? no i wouldn't recommend it, if you're interested in websites and apps, I'd start by learning html, css and javascript, dreamweaver is more drag and drop. And about that server, i've done some research and It's really not worth it to host a game server from home or even a website, the cloud is almost always cheaper (because old servers have bad energy efficiency compared to modern chips/cloud)

I really lucked out getting the job I have now, I moved up from a humble Game Tester to this:

I am responsible for keeping a lab of gaming PCs and laptops maintained and running in order to test hardware compatibility for unreleased PC games.

That means I build, maintain, and repair about 250 PCs going all the way back to Athlon 64 and Core 2 to the latest Ryzen and Kaby Lake and Titan XP. I was hoping to get a Vega sample early, but alas

I had to write custom software to apply fresh images of internal builds of Windows 10 from our local servers daily. I have several very nice servers to store builds, images, and VMs on.

LTT has actually been very helpful in helping me learn how to use servers actually.

I've put together some weird builds here for testing. Such as an AMD A10 with a GTX 1070 for explicit multiadapter testing. One of my favorites is an AMD FX-9590 with 2 R9 Fury X cards. That's three separate independent closed loop liquid coolers all in one case! I have several PCs here with 3+ RAID0 SSD arrays and even arrays of those old 10k RPM velociraptor drives because why not! We are supposed to test for hardware compatibility issues!

I've been attacked by high static pressure case fans when I've kept them plugged in after removing them from the case and absent-mindedly turning on the PC, causing the fan to lift off and attempt to eat my hand.

I use magnets from dead HDDs as fridge magnets to hold up my papers and flash drives, because I have so many dead HDDs.

I recently just gave away 14 GPUs solely because they didn't support DX12.

Today, my job responsibilities include building a new server with this pile of new SAS hdds for a better backup solution, and to replace 24 faulty motherboards in experimental control group computers.

Just now, mikat said:

You mean dreamweaver? no i wouldn't recommend it, if you're interested in websites and apps, I'd start by learning html, css and javascript, dreamweaver is more drag and drop. And about that server, i've done some research and It's really not worth it to host a game server from home or even a website, the cloud is almost always cheaper (because old servers have bad energy efficiency compared to modern chips/cloud)

i know that, yes. but i still want to have a server and considering its quite close and not too expensive (in a 24 port gigabit switch combo for 100) it might still be good to have for random stuff.. you can pm me tho and tell me some stuff

1 minute ago, Leadneck said:

I really lucked out getting the job I have now, I moved up from a humble Game Tester to this:

I am responsible for keeping a lab of gaming PCs and laptops maintained and running in order to test hardware compatibility for unreleased PC games.

That means I build, maintain, and repair about 250 PCs going all the way back to Athlon 64 and Core 2 to the latest Ryzen and Kaby Lake and Titan XP. I was hoping to get a Vega sample early, but alas

I had to write custom software to apply fresh images of internal builds of Windows 10 from our local servers daily. I have several very nice servers to store builds, images, and VMs on.

LTT has actually been very helpful in helping me learn how to use servers actually.

I've put together some weird builds here for testing. Such as an AMD A10 with a GTX 1070 for explicit multiadapter testing. One of my favorites is an AMD FX-9590 with 2 R9 Fury X cards. That's three separate independent closed loop liquid coolers all in one case! I have several PCs here with 3+ RAID0 SSD arrays and even arrays of those old 10k RPM velociraptor drives because why not! We are supposed to test for hardware compatibility issues!

I've been attacked by high static pressure case fans when I've kept them plugged in after removing them from the case and absent-mindedly turning on the PC, causing the fan to lift off and attempt to eat my hand.

I use magnets from dead HDDs as fridge magnets to hold up my papers and flash drives, because I have so many dead HDDs.

I recently just gave away 14 GPUs solely because they didn't support DX12.

Today, my job responsibilities include building a new server with this pile of new SAS hdds for a better backup solution, and to replace 24 faulty motherboards in experimental control group computers.

this guy wins

Home PC:

CPU: i7 4790s ~ Motherboard: Asus B85M-E ~ RAM: 32GB Ballistix Sport DDR3 1666 ~ GPU: Sapphire R9 390 Nitro ~ Case: Corsair Carbide Spec-03 ~ Storage: Kingston Predator 240GB   PCIE M.2 Boot, 2TB HDD, 3x 480GB SATA SSD's in RAID 0 ~ PSU:    Corsair CX600
Display(s): Asus PB287Q , Generic Samsung 1080p 22" ~ Cooling: Arctic T3 Air Cooler, All case fans replaced with Noctua NF-B9 Redux's ~ Keyboard: Logitech G810 Orion ~ Mouse: Cheap Microsoft Wired (i like it) ~ Sound: Radial Pro USB DAC into 250w Powered Speakers ~ Operating System: Windows 10 Enterprise x64

Work PC:

CPU: Intel Xeon E3 1275 v3 ~ Motherboard: Asrock E3C226D2I ~ RAM: 16GB DDR3 ~ GPU: GTX 460 ~ Case: Silverstone SG05 ~ Storage: 512GB SATA SSD ~ Displays: 3x1080p 24" mix and matched Dell monitors plus a 10" 1080p lilliput monitor above ~ Operating System: Windows 10 Enterprise x64

12 minutes ago, DnFx91 said:

this guy wins

Heh, thanks!

It's a pretty sweet gig really.

One of the worst parts though is that the bosses want me to keep an inventory of everything in the lab in one bloated excel sheet with more and more macros and VBA scripts piled in to sort however they wish instead of letting me make a database or anything else that makes sense.

1 minute ago, Leadneck said:

Heh, thanks!

It's a pretty sweet gig really.

One of the worst parts though is that the bosses want me to keep an inventory of everything in the lab in one bloated excel sheet with more and more macros and VBA scripts piled in to sort however they wish instead of letting me make a database or anything else that makes sense.

haha dude you should see the abomination that is my fleet spreadsheet, it has been passed down through about 3 different comp sys engineers and contains the licenses, spec, and serial number of 300 machines, although thinking about it, i would probably get fired for that :D

Home PC:

CPU: i7 4790s ~ Motherboard: Asus B85M-E ~ RAM: 32GB Ballistix Sport DDR3 1666 ~ GPU: Sapphire R9 390 Nitro ~ Case: Corsair Carbide Spec-03 ~ Storage: Kingston Predator 240GB   PCIE M.2 Boot, 2TB HDD, 3x 480GB SATA SSD's in RAID 0 ~ PSU:    Corsair CX600
Display(s): Asus PB287Q , Generic Samsung 1080p 22" ~ Cooling: Arctic T3 Air Cooler, All case fans replaced with Noctua NF-B9 Redux's ~ Keyboard: Logitech G810 Orion ~ Mouse: Cheap Microsoft Wired (i like it) ~ Sound: Radial Pro USB DAC into 250w Powered Speakers ~ Operating System: Windows 10 Enterprise x64

Work PC:

CPU: Intel Xeon E3 1275 v3 ~ Motherboard: Asrock E3C226D2I ~ RAM: 16GB DDR3 ~ GPU: GTX 460 ~ Case: Silverstone SG05 ~ Storage: 512GB SATA SSD ~ Displays: 3x1080p 24" mix and matched Dell monitors plus a 10" 1080p lilliput monitor above ~ Operating System: Windows 10 Enterprise x64

I'm a Windows/Linux/Virtual/Storage/Backup Admin. This means I spend my day with lots of vSphere, Powershell, PowerCLI, and PuTTY windows open.

-KuJoe

Gigalo 

CPU - Ryzen 7 5800x3D |  GPU - RTX 3080 TUF OC | Motherboard - ASUS TUF X570 | RAM - Patriot Viper Blackout 32GB 3200MHz | Case - InWin 805 | Boot Drive - Corsair MP600 PCIe 4.0  Storage - 2 x 1TB SSD's & 1 500GB SSD | PSU - Seasonic Focus Gold 1000w | Display - ASUS TUF VG27WQ Curved 1440P 165Hz | Cooling - ASUS TUF LC240 AIO + 5 aRGB Fans

I'm a co-owner of a wholesale saltwater fish and coral store and a co-owner of a hospitality linen service dedicated to hotels and restaurants owned by Ocean Properties. I am resposible for the delivery and pick ups of linens/furniture to these businesses down here in the Florida Keys. 

Though right now I'm on workmans comp from being hit by a drunk driver down by Key West. 

Current Build

AMD Ryzen 2600

Stock cooler

Asus ROG B450f gaming Mobo

1tb SKHynix m.2

WD 1TB HDD

Asus ROG Strix RX 5700xt

Thermaltake Toughpower 650w DPS RGB 80+Gold

16 Gigs ddr4 3000 gskill ram

Phantek fans

Phanteks P400TG

Laptop

Eluktronics Prometheus XVII

Ryzen 7 5800h

32 gigs ddr4 Corsair ram

Nvidia rtx 3080 max-p

17.3 qhd 165 hrz screen

1tb Samsung m.2

1tb WD black m.2

57 minutes ago, DnFx91 said:

wow your nomenclature is fantastic sir, i have no idea what you do but it sounds somewhat interesting :)

Yeah, sorry about the nomenclature...  I guess the easiest way to put it is I use existing information to make maps and then travel around in small planes and ATVs to collect more information to make more up to date and better quality maps.  Mostly, the maps are related to geology, mining and natural resources.

1 hour ago, DnFx91 said:

yup, you know man. clonezilla ? ghost ?

I hate clonezilla. lol. Generally if its a large deployment we will set up servers with sccm or wds in order to wipe and image them efficiently. but in most environments that sort of thing should be set up already.

Ryzen 9 3950x - 64 GB DDR4 - NVME 980 pro SSD - EVGA RTX 3080 FTW Ultra - FAD CASE

Full custom loop / links below out of date

LTT Build Log | PCPP Build Log

_____________________________________________________________________________________________

Sorry if I stop responding, I've probably gotten busy as I mostly am only on here while working.

_____________________________________________________________________________________________

I'm a Logistics/Operations manager for a Canadian Tire location. 

Essentially I run and manage the receiving, warehouse (inventory), and other aspects related to the retail operation/processes. Part of that includes general IT support, as well as implementing, planning, or assisting to implement corporate rollout of technology, upgrades, and devices for our store.

2 hours ago, mikat said:

I don't know that I'd go so far as to call Dreamweaver drag and drop, in that it's nothing like Wix or those other web-based options. It does have tools and menus to make things somewhat simple to use, but you can straight use it as an text editor on its own if you want. The bonus is that, you can split your view to at least get a preview of what you're designing.

He also said 'for simple web design.' So in that vein, it's not a bad option if you're not interested in learning code. And the added appeal is that you see first hand what selecting a certain tag does, etc... and actually makes learning easier down the line.

I.T. Technician in the local (Rio Pardo, Rio Grande do Sul) town hall.

However, i'm not thinking about staying much in the area of networking and such, i'm studying agricultural engineering, maybe i'll get to implement GPS controlled tractors and combines to make a Interstellar-esque farm one day!

Project Diesel 5.0: Motherboard: ASRock Fatal1ty X370 Professional Gaming /// CPU: Ryzen 5 3600X  /// CPU Cooler: Scythe Ninja 5 /// GPU: Zotac AMP Extreme RTX 2070 /// RAM: 2x 16gb G.Skill Ripjaws V @3200mhz /// Chassis: Lian Li Lancool One Digital (black) /// PSU: Super Flower Leadex III 750w /// Storage: Inland Premium 1TB NVME + Toshiba X300 4TB

Peripherals: Mice: Cooler Master MM720 /// Keyboard: Corsair K70 MK2 SE (Cherry Silver), Blitzwolf BW-KB1 (Gateron Reds) /// Monitor: Acer XZ320Q 32' (VA, 1080p @240hz) /// AMP: Topping PA3 (Onkyo Integra A-817XD undergoing restoration) /// DAC: Weiliang SU5 /// Speakers: AAT BSF-100 /// Mike: Alctron CS35U /// Headphones: Blon B8, ISK MDH-9000

Living room: TV: Samsung QLED Q7FN 55' 4k /// Amplifier: Denon AVR-X2400H /// Speakers: DALI Zensor 7 /// Consoles: Sony PS4 Pro 1TB, Sony PS3 500gb /// LD/CD/DVD: Pioneer DVL-909 /// Power Supplies: Upsai ACF-2100T + GR Savage CDR2200EX

I don't have an actual job position per say. But I do have two weekly volunteer commitments. Volunteer for the BCSPCA and Provisional Officer for the St. John Ambulance Brigade BC/Yukon.

Intel® Core™ i7-12700 | GIGABYTE B660 AORUS MASTER DDR4 | Gigabyte Radeon™ RX 6650 XT Gaming OC | 32GB Corsair Vengeance® RGB Pro SL DDR4 | Samsung 990 Pro 1TB | WD Green 1.5TB | Windows 11 Pro | NZXT H510 Flow White
Sony MDR-V250 | GNT-500 | Logitech G610 Orion Brown | Logitech G402 | Samsung C27JG5 | ASUS ProArt PA238QR
iPhone 12 Mini (iOS 17.2.1) | iPhone XR (iOS 17.2.1) | iPad Mini (iOS 9.3.5) | KZ AZ09 Pro x KZ ZSN Pro X | Sennheiser HD450bt
Intel® Core™ i7-1265U | Kioxia KBG50ZNV512G | 16GB DDR4 | Windows 11 Enterprise | HP EliteBook 650 G9
Intel® Core™ i5-8520U | WD Blue M.2 250GB | 1TB Seagate FireCuda | 16GB DDR4 | Windows 11 Home | ASUS Vivobook 15 
Intel® Core™ i7-3520M | GT 630M | 16 GB Corsair Vengeance® DDR3 |
Samsung 850 EVO 250GB | macOS Catalina | Lenovo IdeaPad P580

5 hours ago, AUniqueName said:

Fix an issue a user has caused 

Get shouted at when something else goes wrong in the future because you touched their PC and changed a setting, now it's your fault

Sounds like help desk.

Everyone wants to blame it on the com peep.  No matter if the machine is not under you nor part of your job.

I have that fun being in the Air Guard in a IT career field under them.  All other career fields see com and think you must fix anything electronic related.

1 hour ago, Slick said:

I herd cats.

Hehe, yep, we herd cats.  :D   Hard business it be too.

For the occasion, the video our tech instructor showed us.  Hehe.

2023 BOINC Pentathlon Event

F@H & BOINC Installation on Linux Guide

My CPU Army: 5800X, E5-2670V3, 1950X, 5960X J Batch, 10750H *lappy

My GPU Army:3080Ti, 960 FTW @ 1551MHz, RTX 2070 Max-Q *lappy

My Console Brigade: Gamecube, Wii, Wii U, Switch, PS2 Fatty, Xbox One S, Xbox One X

My Tablet Squad: iPad Air 5th Gen, Samsung Tab S, Nexus 7 (1st gen)

3D Printer Unit: Prusa MK3S, Prusa Mini, EPAX E10

VR Headset: Quest 2

Hardware lost to Kevdog's Law of Folding

OG Titan, 5960X, ThermalTake BlackWidow 850 Watt PSU

I make memes

AMD FX 6300 @ 4.6 Ghz CRYORIG H7 Asus M5A97 PLUS | HyperX Fury 8 GB DDR3 | PNY CS1311 120gb SSD WD Blue 1TB 7200 RPM EVGA GeForce GTX 950 Superclocked NZXT Source 210 Black EVGA 500B Logitech G Pro HP K3500 Wireless Keyboard |

I stand in a field getting cancer, and shot.

Then I sometimes go to a moldy basement to have springs fling pieces of metal at my hands.

Or in other words I'm a paintball ref and airsoft repair guy.

I'm in school for game design but I'm trying to become a programmer of anything.

So now I'm doing what I can to write some database like programs with C# and C++.

1 minute ago, PigWithAMustache said:

I make memes

watch-out-we-got-a-badass-over-here-meme

Currently a food service worker at my university for pocket money, but looking forward to this summer and interning with the National Park Service as a geographer specializing in Cultural and Historical Geography and Geographic Information Systems. I will likely be helping make maps of the park that I am assigned to based on USGS satellite images, LIDAR, Magnetometry, Bathometric SONAR/RADAR, and participating in ground surveys. Taking measurements of fluvial and/or glacial systems may also be on the plate as well as field research. All of this (and depending where I am stationed) will be done in the field and then compiled in different GIS programs and simulations which will be run off a USGS or NASA cloud based supercomputer if they are big enough (them render times though). Full file sizes can range to a few gigabytes to 50+ terabytes if all of the above are used in the same representation.

I no longer really have a 'job' as much as I now do more jobs than I can count. I chose to start my own online business and succeeded for the most part. Similar but different to Linus, I run a small online media and content creation company.

I've also recently started investing in both cryptocurrency and mining. As well as broadening my stock market portfolio with some supplemental day trading.

I've worked many jobs, from hard labor and construction, to digital and online based companies. My last job was at a large telecommunications provider as a tech support agent for business internet and phone lines. I have a couple of uncompleted classes to get my full electromechanic diploma, but by now I have forgotten most of it.

7 hours ago, Ithanul said:

Sounds like help desk.

Everyone wants to blame it on the com peep.  No matter if the machine is not under you nor part of your job.

I have that fun being in the Air Guard in a IT career field under them.  All other career fields see com and think you must fix anything electronic related.

Thankfully I'm not help desk, but it's a small team so we get that shit too

12 hours ago, Radiant said:

i cannot work yet because i am 14, but when im older i want to to something in the yacht/aerospace design area or make apps and websites :)

Please screenshot what you said here and show this to yourself in 5-6 years 
Not saying your opinion is going to change but it's interesting if you actually achieve your goal you'll be proud - :) 

GPU: GTX 1060 6GB

RAM: 16GB HyperX RAM

CPU: R5 3600 

Motherboard: ASRock B450 Fatal1ty gaming K4

3 hours ago, Lolcrokn said:

Please screenshot what you said here and show this to yourself in 5-6 years 
Not saying your opinion is going to change but it's interesting if you actually achieve your goal you'll be proud - :) 

just did :)

3 hours ago, AUniqueName said:

Thankfully I'm not help desk, but it's a small team so we get that shit too

Yeah, our career field in the Guard suppose to not be help desk, but when you don't have any of the career field that suppose to do that position, someone has to do it.  Actually we are suppose to only handle admin tasks, but I have done things ranging from satellite dish setup, switch and router configs, client builds, re imaging, making patch cables, and, of course, help desk.

For giggles, we make a list with all the dumb questions we get and show it at our hot wash.  Can be down right funny what some people will ask.

2023 BOINC Pentathlon Event

F@H & BOINC Installation on Linux Guide

My CPU Army: 5800X, E5-2670V3, 1950X, 5960X J Batch, 10750H *lappy

My GPU Army:3080Ti, 960 FTW @ 1551MHz, RTX 2070 Max-Q *lappy

My Console Brigade: Gamecube, Wii, Wii U, Switch, PS2 Fatty, Xbox One S, Xbox One X

My Tablet Squad: iPad Air 5th Gen, Samsung Tab S, Nexus 7 (1st gen)

3D Printer Unit: Prusa MK3S, Prusa Mini, EPAX E10

VR Headset: Quest 2

Hardware lost to Kevdog's Law of Folding

OG Titan, 5960X, ThermalTake BlackWidow 850 Watt PSU