Pre-Built Vs Custom - Convince My Wife!!!

Couzintony

my wife would prefer if i get a pre-built Pc... this is what i put together that was cheaper and better(?)...

any gaming builds that'll beat her Alienware will help... lolz 

http://www.dell.com/en-us/shop/productdetails/alienware-alpha-r2-desktop/dkcwa03bcombo?selectionState=eyJGUHJpY2UiOjc5OS45OSwiT0MiOiJka2N3YTAzYmNvbWJvIiwiUXR5IjoxLCJNb2RzIjpbeyJJZCI6MTE2LCJPcHRzIjpbeyJJZCI6Ik5WQ0hBUyJ9XX0seyJJZCI6OCwiT3B0cyI6W3siSWQiOiIxMjgxVEIiLCJQcmljZSI6MjAwLjB9XX0seyJJZCI6MTAxNSwiT3B0cyI6W3siSWQiOiIxODBXIn1dfV19

VS!

PCPartPicker part list: https://pcpartpicker.com/list/44FTVY
Price breakdown by merchant: https://pcpartpicker.com/list/44FTVY/by_merchant/

CPU: Intel Core i5-7400 3.0GHz Quad-Core Processor  ($194.99 @ Newegg) 
CPU Cooler: Thermaltake CLP0556-B 39.7 CFM Sleeve Bearing CPU Cooler  ($12.99 @ Newegg) 
Thermal Compound: Masscool Fanner-420 2g Thermal Paste  ($2.99 @ Newegg) 
Motherboard: Asus PRIME B250M-K Micro ATX LGA1151 Motherboard  ($83.99 @ Newegg) 
Memory: G.Skill NT Series 8GB (1 x 8GB) DDR4-2133 Memory 
Storage: Sandisk SSD PLUS 120GB 2.5" Solid State Drive  ($45.98 @ Newegg) 
Storage: Hitachi Ultrastar 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive 
Video Card: MSI GeForce GTX 1060 6GB 6GB GAMING X Video Card  ($259.99 @ Newegg) 
Case: Deepcool TESSERACT SW ATX Mid Tower Case  ($48.98 @ Newegg) 
Power Supply: Raidmax COBRA 500W 80+ Gold Certified ATX Power Supply  ($55.98 @ Newegg) 
Total: $705.89
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2017-02-14 16:35 EST-0500

Hard to convince someone when the reality comes down to personal preference, of course if you build it yourself you can get exactly the parts you want but besides that I've always justified it by my enjoyment of building a PC to my exact specifications and matching up all the parts etc.

On the flipside I have friends who buy pre-builts (from Dell also actually) and they justify it by saying they just want something that will work out the box, if you get the right warranty with Dell they can come out and fix it at your house if it goes wrong with some warranty plans. That does beat going to the ends of the earth to satisfy some online retailers RMA requirements then having to send a single part back.

Personally I'd vote for a custom build and to be fair your custom built does have some advantages on the specification side of things, but again its personal preference.

*Uses a Mini PC as a comparison to a full size PC...*

Ermmmm...maybe at least compare comparable (size wise) systems? :D 

Looking at my signature are we now? Well too bad there's nothing here...

What? As I said, there seriously is nothing here :) 

The GTX 960 is equal to the 1050 TI, and its probably not even a full 960.  you're blowing it out of the water with a 1060 6gb. 

Personal build >  New-ish AMD main gaming setup           

PLEASE QUOTE OR @ ME FOR A RESPONSE xD 

you don't need the cooler so you can ditch that and the thermal paste to make it even cheaper. not to mention that the 1060 is sooo much better than that 960 in the alienware, and that the newer processor is a good thing. i don't really trust that psu though, check if its okay in the psu tier list (just search this forum for it).

Main PC |CPU - i7-6700k|GPU - R9 290x tri-x 4gb|RAM - 16gb ddr4|MOBO - MSI z170 - A PRO|HDD - WD 1TB/240gb Sandisk |PSU - 700w Raidmax

Laptop |CPU - i7 4720hq|GPU - 960m 2gb|Ram - 8gb 2x4|Model - y50-70 Touch|SSD - 240gb Patriot drive|Display - 1920x1080 IPS touch

Ask her if she'd drive a car with a knock-off battery from China over one from a reliable brand and there's your answer. 

PSU's in prebuilts are the cheapeat components that can be sourced. That alone should turn someone off from going prebuilt. 

Guess I'm lucky the waifu shuns prebuilts and loves custom built rigs with power. 

Is she gonna leave you if you get the cheaper option (custom build)? Probably not. So make sure the bills are paid and get the custom build.

I'm only 14 so I don't know what it's like to have a wife, and even what it's like to have a girlfriend so yeah.

AMD FX 6300 @ 4.6 Ghz CRYORIG H7 Asus M5A97 PLUS | HyperX Fury 8 GB DDR3 | PNY CS1311 120gb SSD WD Blue 1TB 7200 RPM EVGA GeForce GTX 950 Superclocked NZXT Source 210 Black EVGA 500B Logitech G Pro HP K3500 Wireless Keyboard |

13 minutes ago, Mohenjo said:

idk how they did it, but you cant really build this cheaper 

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant

CPU: Intel Core i5-6402P 2.8GHz Quad-Core Processor  ($189.99 @ B&H) 
Motherboard: MSI B150M BAZOOKA Micro ATX LGA1151 Motherboard  ($74.88 @ OutletPC) 
Memory: Corsair Vengeance LPX 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR4-2133 Memory  ($55.98 @ Newegg) 
Storage: Western Digital Caviar Blue 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive  ($49.33 @ OutletPC) 
Video Card: MSI Radeon RX 480 8GB GAMING X Video Card  ($244.99 @ Newegg) 
Case: Thermaltake Versa H15 MicroATX Mid Tower Case  ($39.99 @ SuperBiiz) 
Power Supply: EVGA 500W 80+ Bronze Certified ATX Power Supply  ($43.88 @ OutletPC) 
Total: $699.04
Generated by PCPartPicker 2017-02-14 16:59 EST-0500

Main PC |CPU - i7-6700k|GPU - R9 290x tri-x 4gb|RAM - 16gb ddr4|MOBO - MSI z170 - A PRO|HDD - WD 1TB/240gb Sandisk |PSU - 700w Raidmax

Laptop |CPU - i7 4720hq|GPU - 960m 2gb|Ram - 8gb 2x4|Model - y50-70 Touch|SSD - 240gb Patriot drive|Display - 1920x1080 IPS touch

5 minutes ago, M.Yurizaki said:

Why would your wife care about what you get?

Not married?... Even though it's my money... it's our money... Lolz 

5 minutes ago, Mooshi said:

Ask her if she'd drive a car with a knock-off battery from China over one from a reliable brand and there's your answer. 

PSU's in prebuilts are the cheapeat components that can be sourced. That alone should turn someone off from going prebuilt. 

Guess I'm lucky the waifu shuns prebuilts and loves custom built rigs with power. 

Her argument is that it's from a store and the complete rig has or can get a warranty...

1 minute ago, Couzintony said:

Her argument is that it's from a store and the complete rig has or can get a warranty...

Yeah, a limit warranty for like a year. Individual parts can have nice warranties per part and even lifetime for things like ram. Something that can't be matched from a store lol

2 minutes ago, Blackhole890 said:

wtf?

he meant like "your not married, so you dont know" not "hes not married"

22 minutes ago, Couzintony said:

my wife would prefer if i get a pre-built Pc... this is what i put together that was cheaper and better(?)...

any gaming builds that'll beat her Alienware will help... lolz 

http://www.dell.com/en-us/shop/productdetails/alienware-alpha-r2-desktop/dkcwa03bcombo?selectionState=eyJGUHJpY2UiOjc5OS45OSwiT0MiOiJka2N3YTAzYmNvbWJvIiwiUXR5IjoxLCJNb2RzIjpbeyJJZCI6MTE2LCJPcHRzIjpbeyJJZCI6Ik5WQ0hBUyJ9XX0seyJJZCI6OCwiT3B0cyI6W3siSWQiOiIxMjgxVEIiLCJQcmljZSI6MjAwLjB9XX0seyJJZCI6MTAxNSwiT3B0cyI6W3siSWQiOiIxODBXIn1dfV19

VS!

PCPartPicker part list: https://pcpartpicker.com/list/44FTVY
Price breakdown by merchant: https://pcpartpicker.com/list/44FTVY/by_merchant/

CPU: Intel Core i5-7400 3.0GHz Quad-Core Processor  ($194.99 @ Newegg) 
CPU Cooler: Thermaltake CLP0556-B 39.7 CFM Sleeve Bearing CPU Cooler  ($12.99 @ Newegg) 
Thermal Compound: Masscool Fanner-420 2g Thermal Paste  ($2.99 @ Newegg) 
Motherboard: Asus PRIME B250M-K Micro ATX LGA1151 Motherboard  ($83.99 @ Newegg) 
Memory: G.Skill NT Series 8GB (1 x 8GB) DDR4-2133 Memory 
Storage: Sandisk SSD PLUS 120GB 2.5" Solid State Drive  ($45.98 @ Newegg) 
Storage: Hitachi Ultrastar 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive 
Video Card: MSI GeForce GTX 1060 6GB 6GB GAMING X Video Card  ($259.99 @ Newegg) 
Case: Deepcool TESSERACT SW ATX Mid Tower Case  ($48.98 @ Newegg) 
Power Supply: Raidmax COBRA 500W 80+ Gold Certified ATX Power Supply  ($55.98 @ Newegg) 
Total: $705.89
Generated by PCPartPicker 2017-02-14 16:35 EST-0500

I'm assuming it's because your wife thinks you will break something in the process? Most hardware is pretty well built nowadays. Your chances of breaking something are very slim. Do your research, take your time, make sure everything is compatible and building your own will be much more rewarding both financially and learning a bit in the process.

11 minutes ago, Mohenjo said:

idk how they did it, but you cant really build this cheaper 

but you can 

33 minutes ago, Mooshi said:

That's news to me, from personal experience I've found most PCs from reputable PC manufactures actually have decent PSUs in them, whenever I open the case on a branded pre-built machine its generally known brands like FSP Group, or Seasonic on the PSU.

That's just my experience, maybe some brands vary in what they use, I guess its not something they list and its probably not something they'll tell you even if you ask.

3 minutes ago, Couzintony said:

well dont fuck up while building? How about this?

//Thanks

Avve1000
Setup in Profile!

1 minute ago, Avve1000 said:

well dont fuck up while building? How about this?

You picked out a really expensive cooler and downgraded the rest of the parts. 

4 minutes ago, Megah3rtz said:

but you can 

Part for part you cant. Same mobo and similar case and psu. 

2 minutes ago, Megah3rtz said:

You picked out a really expensive cooler and downgraded the rest of the parts. 

well not really, I did forget it was $800 and not $700 so yeah thats why

//Thanks

Avve1000
Setup in Profile!

15 minutes ago, Couzintony said:

Well then it's going to be her computer anyway. Because what's hers is hers and what's yours is hers. :3

And she would be correct. If you buy it pre-built, you are practically guaranteed a system out of the box that needs some clean up to get rid of the crap ware. Dell has pretty good support as well (I had a laptop that needed a screen replacement and they sent someone within a week to do it).

Going DIY means you're your own tech support and such.

However warranty doesn't really mean much of anything in regards to the quality or life expectancy of the product. I have a ton of 1-year warranty electronics. They certainly don't seem like they're going bad any time soon.

13 minutes ago, Mooshi said:

Yeah, a limit warranty for like a year. Individual parts can have nice warranties per part and even lifetime for things like ram. Something that can't be matched from a store lol

While that's nice to have, in practice, I don't really see it being all that great. Any decent quality electronic that survives the SIDS period is pretty much going to last well after you've stopped caring about it. Plus for parts that have performance deltas, you're going to get an equivalent performing part. i.e. yeah it would be nice to have that life time warranty GTX 280 from EVGA that crapped out, but they're just going to send me a GT 710 or something as a replacement.

23 minutes ago, Mooshi said:

Do you have a source for this?

I'm pretty sure this Dell computer I have at work that's been running solid for three years isn't showing signs of blowing up any time soon...

1 minute ago, Mohenjo said:

Part for part you cant. Same mobo and similar case and psu. 

but there's no point in building part for part when you can get something better for the same price