Verizon Caves In, 'Unlimited' Data Incoming

Suika
4 minutes ago, Drak3 said:

It's not quite as straight forward as you think it is. With a mobile network, UX needs to be maintained,and the amount of data provided per user can't quite support giving them all hotspots and deliver an acceptable UX consistently, unless they've got a condensed network and relatively few customers per tower, such as TMobile in large cities.

Idk man... I still don't like it :P 

Solve your own audio issues  |  First Steps with RPi 3  |  Humidity & Condensation  |  Sleep & Hibernation  |  Overclocking RAM  |  Making Backups  |  Displays  |  4K / 8K / 16K / etc.  |  Do I need 80+ Platinum?

If you can read this you're using the wrong theme.  You can change it at the bottom.

1 hour ago, Kloaked said:

Even though it's pretty shitty, I think it's a start.

According to the video on their YT Channel, not reduction of video quality.

4 minutes ago, Ryan_Vickers said:

Idk man... I still don't like it :P 

Well, if there were high demand for hotspots, more service providers would offer them as bog standard, and build up their towers to support it.

Similar to the unlimited data plans (looking at Verizon and Cricket, Cricket because they started offering unlimited data only a few months ago, but absolutely no option for hotspots on that plan. Rest in Pepperoni).

Come Bloody Angel

Break off your chains

And look what I've found in the dirt.

Pale battered body

Seems she was struggling

Something is wrong with this world.

Fierce Bloody Angel

The blood is on your hands

Why did you come to this world?

Everybody turns to dust.

Everybody turns to dust.

The blood is on your hands.

The blood is on your hands!

Pyo.

Do I drop my ISP for VZW now? 

It's a sad day that I have to even consider this. 

This is exciting, I'm on At&t unlimited and hoping this will drop the price down significantly as we have 6 lines either way it's exciting to see all the major carriers having unlimited again

Going to try and convince my family to switch back to Verizon. T-Mobile's coverage is awful in my area and what's the point of having unlimited with T-Mobile if you don't have any damn service in the first place?

um.. I never realised how good 20euro a month for unlimited(60GB) and free texts and free calls except to non-3 users on weekdays and 20euro worth of credit is.. 

6 hours ago, Suika said:

Much like the other carriers that like to toss around the word 'unlimited,' there are limits to this unlimited data plan. Now you might be thinking at this point, "now that's an oxymoron," and you'd be correct! However, that seems to be the movement the major US carriers are taking, for those less informed, but I digress. 

Or the Telecoms have lobbied so hard everybody, Trump included, don't dare to cut themselves off that gravy train and actually fucking sue them for false advertising.

-------

Current Rig

-------

What irritates me most is the pricing for this sort of stuff. "Oh you can get blah data for $XX a month, *cough* not including the line access fees which are lower the more phones you have *cough*". Seriously, why can you offer me unlimited on 4 lines for $160 bucks but if I just want a single line it's going to cost me almost $80, especially when it's unlimited per-line.

That's why I switched from Verizon to Ting. Prices are simple, straight forward, and the only fees are taxes which are maybe $2-3 more a month.

Current Network Layout:

Current Build Log/PC:

Prior Build Log/PC:

11 hours ago, Suika said:

I mean, yea, I mentioned it. After 22GB, your data will be "prioritized below other customers" and video streaming is likely going to be limited to 480p/720p quality.

I work for Verizon. After 22gb prioritization is true but video streaming quality is not limited whatsoever.

Ryzen 5 3600 | EVGA CLC240 | EVGA RTX 2070 Super XC Ultra | ASRock B450 Pro4 | 16gb EVGA SuperSC DDR4-3200 | 1tb WD SN550 | 2tb SanDisk Ultra 3DEVGA P2 650w | Fractal Design Meshify CViewSonic VX2758-2KP-MHD + ViewSonic VS2412-H | GHS.RAR (Boba U4s, Staebies, GMK Aurora Polaris + Artisans) | Steelseries Aerox Ghost | Artisan-Japan Ninja FX Hien (M/Soft) | Fostex HP-A3 | Fostex PM0.3G | Fostex T60RP | Beyerdynamic DT 1990 Pro | Beyerdynamic FOX

10 hours ago, Ryan_Vickers said:

lol wut?  Mobile hotspot and the ability to do HD video playback are functions of the phone... nothing to do with the carrier.

I think Comcast should advertise support for i7 processors and 4K graphics with their internet plans next.

Face_With_Rolling_Eyes_Emoji.png?9898922

Idk if you live in the USA but T-Mobile and Sprint charge extra for "HD Passes" and mobile hotspot.

Ryzen 5 3600 | EVGA CLC240 | EVGA RTX 2070 Super XC Ultra | ASRock B450 Pro4 | 16gb EVGA SuperSC DDR4-3200 | 1tb WD SN550 | 2tb SanDisk Ultra 3DEVGA P2 650w | Fractal Design Meshify CViewSonic VX2758-2KP-MHD + ViewSonic VS2412-H | GHS.RAR (Boba U4s, Staebies, GMK Aurora Polaris + Artisans) | Steelseries Aerox Ghost | Artisan-Japan Ninja FX Hien (M/Soft) | Fostex HP-A3 | Fostex PM0.3G | Fostex T60RP | Beyerdynamic DT 1990 Pro | Beyerdynamic FOX

11 hours ago, shadowbyte said:

eh, not so great imo

I switched from Verizon to T-mobile, and ended up with unlimited for the same price as 6gb on Verizon. T-mobile's coverage in my area is super solid, and just as fast as Wi-Fi.

Doesn't T-Mobile let you stream video at 480p or something without affecting your data limit anyway?

11 hours ago, SCHISCHKA said:

4G is a huge upgrade for most people on ADSL. Im on 4G and my downloads and upload speeds always impress ADSL users but my ping is the same for online gaming due to being at the bottom of the world. It will be interesting how they throttle accounts. I say stay away from torrenting and you shouldnt get as throttled as others

Tmobiles unlimited i torrented like 150gbs in one month they never throttled it i was always crazy surprised how fast it was going i was downloading files at 60Mbps constant phone felt like it would go on fire though haha.  Though the only thing you werent alloud to do with the actual old real unlimited was torrent but they give you like 3 strikes before they put you on a 1gb plan 

26 minutes ago, Starelementpoke said:

Doesn't T-Mobile let you stream video at 480p or something without affecting your data limit anyway?

if you have a 3gb or higher plan almost all Music streaming and video streaming for most popular services are free. they have a long list on there site of everything

Whelp, guess I gotta buy a new phone so I can switch back to Verizon.

Good job, Big Red, you won me back. 

Cool, but still too expensive for me. I just ordered a Nexus 6p for Google Fi, not unlimited but cheap. Maybe one day when I have more money, but right now in college money is kind of tight.

Holy shit this is a good fukcing deal!

I was paying $72 a motnh for the 16GB "XL" data plan, that's with my 20% corporate discount.  Regular price is $90 a month.

Now I get 22GB for $65 a month, but no corporate discount.

Line access of $20 a month is the same regardless.

Looks like they've completely got rid of the S/M/L/XL sizing ad it's just 5GB or Unlimited.

Workstation:  14700nonk || Asus Z790 ProArt Creator || MSI Gaming Trio 4090 Shunt || Crucial Pro Overclocking 32GB @ 5600 || Corsair AX1600i@240V || whole-house loop.

LANRig/GuestGamingBox: 9900nonK || Gigabyte Z390 Master || ASUS TUF 3090 650W shunt || Corsair SF600 || CPU+GPU watercooled 280 rad pull only || whole-house loop.

Server Router (Untangle): 13600k @ Stock || ASRock Z690 ITX || All 10Gbe || 2x8GB 3200 || PicoPSU 150W 24pin + AX1200i on CPU|| whole-house loop

Server Compute/Storage: 10850K @ 5.1Ghz || Gigabyte Z490 Ultra || EVGA FTW3 3090 1000W || LSI 9280i-24 port || 4TB Samsung 860 Evo, 5x10TB Seagate Enterprise Raid 6, 4x8TB Seagate Archive Backup ||  whole-house loop.

Laptop: HP Elitebook 840 G8 (Intel 1185G7) + 3080Ti Thunderbolt Dock, Razer Blade Stealth 13" 2017 (Intel 8550U)

3 minutes ago, AnonymousGuy said:

Holy shit this is a good fukcing deal!

I was paying $72 a motnh for the 16GB "XL" data plan, that's with my 20% corporate discount.  Regular price is $90 a month.

Now I get 22GB for $65 a month, but no corporate discount.

Line access of $20 a month is the same regardless.

Looks like they've completely got rid of the S/M/L/XL sizing ad it's just 5GB or Unlimited.

Where are you seeing that? I see this:

Screen Shot 2017-02-13 at 12.29.37 PM.png

OJcCq6N.png

4 minutes ago, Vanderburg said:

Workstation:  14700nonk || Asus Z790 ProArt Creator || MSI Gaming Trio 4090 Shunt || Crucial Pro Overclocking 32GB @ 5600 || Corsair AX1600i@240V || whole-house loop.

LANRig/GuestGamingBox: 9900nonK || Gigabyte Z390 Master || ASUS TUF 3090 650W shunt || Corsair SF600 || CPU+GPU watercooled 280 rad pull only || whole-house loop.

Server Router (Untangle): 13600k @ Stock || ASRock Z690 ITX || All 10Gbe || 2x8GB 3200 || PicoPSU 150W 24pin + AX1200i on CPU|| whole-house loop

Server Compute/Storage: 10850K @ 5.1Ghz || Gigabyte Z490 Ultra || EVGA FTW3 3090 1000W || LSI 9280i-24 port || 4TB Samsung 860 Evo, 5x10TB Seagate Enterprise Raid 6, 4x8TB Seagate Archive Backup ||  whole-house loop.

Laptop: HP Elitebook 840 G8 (Intel 1185G7) + 3080Ti Thunderbolt Dock, Razer Blade Stealth 13" 2017 (Intel 8550U)

2 minutes ago, AnonymousGuy said:

Weird, I don't see a 5GB plan at all, though, clicking on one of the ones I do see gives me "There was an error with one of our systems and we're working on it now. We're sorry for the inconvenience. Please try again in a few minutes.", so maybe I'm just being shown the wrong stuff...

6 minutes ago, Vanderburg said:

Weird, I don't see a 5GB plan at all, though, clicking on one of the ones I do see gives me "There was an error with one of our systems and we're working on it now. We're sorry for the inconvenience. Please try again in a few minutes.", so maybe I'm just being shown the wrong stuff...

If I look in the app, S/M/L for 2/4/8GB is still an option next to "Unlimited" for $65 and "Shared Unlimited" for $110 a month.

Strangely the app says "save $5/mo with autopay and paperless" but the website billing showed $10 savings.

6 hours ago, Lurick said:

That's why I switched from Verizon to Ting. Prices are simple, straight forward, and the only fees are taxes which are maybe $2-3 more a month

Ting would be okay if you never used your phone.. Data is so expensive there, if you're a person that uses your phone for any kind of social media you'd probably be better off with other carriers. $40 for 4GB.. at Cricket (AT&T) it's $45 for 8GB, with unlimited talk & text compared to Ting's pay-for-what-you-use (which would still be more expensive, since you pay $6 flat for the line in the first place.)

I used to be quite active here.

This is good news. I've kept my unlimited plan since the good old 3G days, using 20-40GB/mo depending. This won't get me to switch, but if they suddenly un-grandfather me, I'll have a backup option. Verizon's coverage out in the boonies is fantastic and is what has kept me a customer. I haven't ever tethered so...irrelevant for me.

This is also good news for many friends of mine who are fed up with the other carriers.