Camcorder or DSLR/ mirrorless

2 minutes ago, AkiraDaarkst said:

Not much I can add, I looked on B&H to see if there are camcorders with 1" sensors for under $1000.  The cheapest one, as far as B&H is listing, costs around $1200-1300.  There may be something in the used market, however it's not like there is a good centralized online store that lists all available used stuff.  Perhaps look in local classifieds or camera stores that carry used products.

The only thing I would contribute now:

• Is the OP ( @another random person ) going to be doing this as part of a paid gig?
  • Will it become a regular thing that could sort of provide some return of investment if he/she invests in a more "advanced/professional" looking camera setup?

Because if the answers to both questions are either a definite Yes or high probability Maybe, then perhaps the OP can consider putting together a more appropriate rig that may be costly in the initial investment but pays back on the long run.

I've been looking for cheap camcorders with large sensors for the better part of five years, and I haven't found anything.

Edit: I was wrong about the constant aperture. Goes down to f4.5. Yuck.

1 hour ago, AkiraDaarkst said:

Not much I can add, I looked on B&H to see if there are camcorders with 1" sensors for under $1000.  The cheapest one, as far as B&H is listing, costs around $1200-1300.  There may be something in the used market, however it's not like there is a good centralized online store that lists all available used stuff.  Perhaps look in local classifieds or camera stores that carry used products.

The only thing I would contribute now:

• Is the OP ( @another random person ) going to be doing this as part of a paid gig?
  • Will it become a regular thing that could sort of provide some return of investment if he/she invests in a more "advanced/professional" looking camera setup?

Because if the answers to both questions are either a definite Yes or high probability Maybe, then perhaps the OP can consider putting together a more appropriate rig that may be costly in the initial investment but pays back on the long run.

My budget is as fixed as a budget can be unfortunately, and I will not be getting paid to do the filming. 

I suck a typing, preparw for typos.

Desktop

CPU: Ryzen 7 3700x MOBO: MSI X570-A Pro RAM: 32 GB Corsair DDR4

GPUS: Gigabyte GTX 1660ti OC 6G  CASE: Corsair Carbide 100R STORAGE: Samsung Evo 960 500GB, Crucial P1 M.2 NVME 1TB   PSU: Corsair CX550M CPU COOLER: Corsair H100x

LAPTOP

Apple Macbook Pro 13 M1 Pro

3 hours ago, another random person said:

My budget is as fixed as a budget can be unfortunately, and I will not be getting paid to do the filming. 

Understandable that you might not have a flexible budget but damn, it's too bad that you will be investing in a camera kit but won't be getting any money back for the work.

That is not dead which can eternal lie.  And with strange aeons even death may die. - The Call of Cthulhu

A university is not a "safe space". If you need a safe space, leave, go home, hug your teddy & suck your thumb until ready for university.  - Richard Dawkins

12 hours ago, another random person said:

How did the camera perform in dark places like a suburban street at night?

It worked pretty decently in the forest during dusk. We never used it at night.

CPU: Ryzen 9 5900 Cooler: EVGA CLC280 Motherboard: Gigabyte B550i Pro AX RAM: Kingston Hyper X 32GB 3200mhz

Storage: WD 750 SE 500GB, WD 730 SE 1TB GPU: EVGA RTX 3070 Ti PSU: Corsair SF750 Case: Streacom DA2

Monitor: LG 27GL83B Mouse: Razer Basilisk V2 Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red Speakers: Mackie CR5BT

MiniPC - Sold for $100 Profit

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i3 4160 Cooler: Integrated Motherboard: Integrated

RAM: G.Skill RipJaws 16GB DDR3 Storage: Transcend MSA370 128GB GPU: Intel 4400 Graphics

PSU: Integrated Case: Shuttle XPC Slim

Monitor: LG 29WK500 Mouse: G.Skill MX780 Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red

Budget Rig 1 - Sold For $750 Profit

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i5 7600k Cooler: CryOrig H7 Motherboard: MSI Z270 M5

RAM: Crucial LPX 16GB DDR4 Storage: Intel S3510 800GB GPU: Nvidia GTX 980

PSU: Corsair CX650M Case: EVGA DG73

Monitor: LG 29WK500 Mouse: G.Skill MX780 Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red

OG Gaming Rig - Gone

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i5 4690k Cooler: Corsair H100i V2 Motherboard: MSI Z97i AC ITX

RAM: Crucial Ballistix 16GB DDR3 Storage: Kingston Fury 240GB GPU: Asus Strix GTX 970

PSU: Thermaltake TR2 Case: Phanteks Enthoo Evolv ITX

Monitor: Dell P2214H x2 Mouse: Logitech MX Master Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red

Whoa whoa- okay. So I do this kind of work a few times every week at different places and, well, its REALLY something you don't want to be doing with either a dslr or mirrorless, but I'd go with a mirrorless if you really can't afford a real production grade camera.

A entry level camera/lens for something like this would be around $20,000. Without a real production camera you're gonna get huge overheating problems, noise problems, and the thing won't even broadcast or stream most of the time without it recording constantly. I recommend, if this is just a one-time paid gig, that you go and rent some equipment and add it to what you're charging. 

For a one camera concert gig you're going to need different things depending on what you'd be willing to buy or rent, depending on if this was a one time deal or not. I'm talking a real expensive tripod with handle controls, a viewfinder graded for 1080p video, a switcher to control your feed and convert the output from the camera into something that you can actually use, a control unit for the camera, and of course- the camera and the lens. 

To rent all this I'm not sure how much it would be but, it wouldn't be cheap. I can't really recommend that you do concert streaming and recording without at least entry-level equipment for that kind of thing. 

The lowest end camera I've seen for this camera would be something like one of these http://www.atsrentals.com/sony-nx5u-rental.html. Thats the cheapest thing that I can recommend for this use, as someone who uses these things all the time. Though, you're going to need more than just that to do what you're wanting.

I work as a contractor for everything from photo/video to broadcast and networking. 

I use an old HP Laptop forked up on top of a photography textbook. 

Right now this is what I use: Fuji X100T, Fuji X100, Fuji X-E1, XF 18 f2, XF 35 1.4, Nikon d7000, Nikkor 180 2,8 AFIS, Nikkor 60 1.8.

I've got more crap laying around for other jobs and hobbies, though a lot of that isn't applicable to the interests of this forum, so I'll keep myself back from adding it all to the list. 

39 minutes ago, JohnBRoark said:

snip

Thanks for your reply, I have however decided to purchase a Sony HDR-CX625 Camcorder, plainly because of its low cost and acceptable performance. Also, I am not getting paid nor paying for the camera equipment, I just volunteered to run cameras for a private performance so any camera I get is acceptable. I used it yesterday and so far the features are more than what I needed and what was expected, as before the new camcorder, they were shooting in 720p/30fps. Which is now 1080p/60fps.

I have a DSLR which I can use for filming where I am closer to the subject/s meant to be in the video. But thanks again for your contribution. 

I suck a typing, preparw for typos.

Desktop

CPU: Ryzen 7 3700x MOBO: MSI X570-A Pro RAM: 32 GB Corsair DDR4

GPUS: Gigabyte GTX 1660ti OC 6G  CASE: Corsair Carbide 100R STORAGE: Samsung Evo 960 500GB, Crucial P1 M.2 NVME 1TB   PSU: Corsair CX550M CPU COOLER: Corsair H100x

LAPTOP

Apple Macbook Pro 13 M1 Pro