Tim Sweeney Says Windows Cloud Is Ransomware

Guest Kloaked
On 2/8/2017 at 7:27 PM, SCHISCHKA said:

this sort of thing is why valve is making steam OS. If MS does anything this serious we have an alternative platform

Yeah. Except SteamOS is a steaming pile of shit. If Valve wants gamers to move off of Windows, they need to provide a comparable alternative. SteamOS isn't even as good as other Linux distros, because it strips out all of the really nice stuff like media players, etc.

You're better off just booting Ubuntu or Debian and then installing Steam yourself if you want an Alternative to Windows.

Man Tim Sweeney is freaking insane. I cannot take his comments seriously, in the slightest.

For Sale: Meraki Bundle

iPhone Xr 128 GB Product Red - HP Spectre x360 13" (i5 - 8 GB RAM - 256 GB SSD) - HP ZBook 15v G5 15" (i7-8850H - 16 GB RAM - 512 GB SSD - NVIDIA Quadro P600)

10 minutes ago, dalekphalm said:

Yeah. Except SteamOS is a steaming pile of shit. If Valve wants gamers to move off of Windows, they need to provide a comparable alternative. SteamOS isn't even as good as other Linux distros, because it strips out all of the really nice stuff like media players, etc.

You're better off just booting Ubuntu or Debian and then installing Steam yourself if you want an Alternative to Windows.

Man Tim Sweeney is freaking insane. I cannot take his comments seriously, in the slightest.

you can call it what you want but realise their work contributes back to debian

☼

ψ ︿_____︿_ψ_   

1 minute ago, SCHISCHKA said:

you can call it what you want but realise their work contributes back to debian

Of course, but their work was mostly on the Linux steam client itself. SteamOS itself is still crap.

Debian + Big Picture Mode = better gaming OS than SteamOS.

iPhone Xr 128 GB Product Red - HP Spectre x360 13" (i5 - 8 GB RAM - 256 GB SSD) - HP ZBook 15v G5 15" (i7-8850H - 16 GB RAM - 512 GB SSD - NVIDIA Quadro P600)

49 minutes ago, dalekphalm said:

Yeah. Except SteamOS is a steaming pile of shit

inb4 PCMR folk come in to tell you how wrong you are even though they probably all use Windows and don't like SteamOS themselves

50 minutes ago, dalekphalm said:

I think people get like that when they don't get out much.

6 hours ago, dalekphalm said:

Of course, but their work was mostly on the Linux steam client itself. SteamOS itself is still crap.

Debian + Big Picture Mode = better gaming OS than SteamOS.

Isn't SteamOS meant to facilitate use of Steam games without needing Windows?

So with that being the focus wouldn't it make sense if it leaves out features that aren't strictly needed for gaming?

Or am I missing something?    I haven't ever used Linux or SteamOS.

6 hours ago, Kloaked said:

inb4 PCMR folk come in to tell you how wrong you are even though they probably all use Windows and don't like SteamOS themselves

I think people get like that when they don't get out much.

I don't get out much...  ? lol 

2 minutes ago, Bleedingyamato said:

So with that being the focus wouldn't it make sense if it leaves out features that aren't strictly needed for gaming?

The problem is that Steam is all SteamOS can do, while simply installing Linux and Steam on it running in big picture can do everything SteamOS can, plus more since it's full Linux.  So it makes SteamOS seem kind of pointless.

Solve your own audio issues  |  First Steps with RPi 3  |  Humidity & Condensation  |  Sleep & Hibernation  |  Overclocking RAM  |  Making Backups  |  Displays  |  4K / 8K / 16K / etc.  |  Do I need 80+ Platinum?

If you can read this you're using the wrong theme.  You can change it at the bottom.

7 hours ago, dalekphalm said:

Debian + Big Picture Mode = SteamOS.

fify

One day I will be able to play Monster Hunter Frontier in French/Italian/English on my PC, it's just a matter of time... 4 5 6 7 8 9 years later: It's finally coming!!!

Phones: iPhone 4S/SE | LG V10 | Lumia 920 | Samsung S24 Ultra

Laptops: Macbook Pro 15" (mid-2012) | Compaq Presario V6000

Other: Steam Deck

<>EVs are bad, they kill the planet and remove freedoms too some/<>

3 minutes ago, Ryan_Vickers said:

The problem is that Steam is all SteamOS can do, while simply installing Linux and Steam on it running in big picture can do everything SteamOS can, plus more since it's full Linux.  So it makes SteamOS seem kind of pointless.

You have a point I believe.  

Is Linux hard to use?    

I've thought about trying it out but there's so many versions idk what the differences are...  ?

2 minutes ago, Bleedingyamato said:

Is Linux hard to use?    

no. And if someone tells you the opposite, LTT folks are just lazy as fuck to learn anything and still believe that we are in the 90s where the terminal was all you used to get things done, news flash: it's 2017 guys time to reset 

One day I will be able to play Monster Hunter Frontier in French/Italian/English on my PC, it's just a matter of time... 4 5 6 7 8 9 years later: It's finally coming!!!

33 minutes ago, Bleedingyamato said:

Is Linux hard to use?    

I've thought about trying it out but there's so many versions idk what the differences are...  ?

Not at all.  Assuming you don't pick a command line only distro for your first time, installing should be easy, and using it is no different than Windows.  Sure, some things are in a different place and called something else, but if you can use Windows, you can use Linux.  My grandmother does and has since we switched her from XP.

Solve your own audio issues  |  First Steps with RPi 3  |  Humidity & Condensation  |  Sleep & Hibernation  |  Overclocking RAM  |  Making Backups  |  Displays  |  4K / 8K / 16K / etc.  |  Do I need 80+ Platinum?

If you can read this you're using the wrong theme.  You can change it at the bottom.

2 hours ago, Bleedingyamato said:

Is Linux hard to use?    

Not at all. In terms of distros just download a few that you think will be good and try it out in a VM first. (My personal favorites ar Kubuntu, Ubuntu Mate, Linux Mint.)

On 2/8/2017 at 10:31 PM, JAKEBAB said:

He's clearly talking about the future when everyone's "PC" is just a client the size of a credit card.

That can be interpreted in many ways.... For me it's the size and c@$#

Your resident osu! player, destroyer of keyboards.

6 hours ago, Bleedingyamato said:

I don't get out much...  ? lol 

Yes, but when compared to all the alternatives, a Gaming Only OS makes no sense.

Look at consoles, largely regarded as "simple gaming boxes". They have excellent support for third party apps and media centric features. Hell even MacOS does good in this regard (Kodi, Plex, and Netflix support, among others).

SteamOS just launches Steam. Well that's really not a great selling feature, as all the big Desktop OS's can do that (Linux, Windows, MacOS - granted, Game support varies wildly between them, with Windows keeping the vast majority of support to themselves).

The point is that SteamOS was supposed to be a "Console Killer" OS, when it was nothing of the sort.

6 hours ago, Ryan_Vickers said:

This.

6 hours ago, suicidalfranco said:

fify

Err - yes and no. Yes, SteamOS is a derivative of Debian. But no, SteamOS does not have all the capabilities out of the box as a standard Debian install would. Common sense would dictate that you knew what I was talking about.

If you take two identical computers. Install SteamOS on one, then install Debian + Steam on the other. Which box is more capable right away? The 2nd one. By far. Sure, you can make SteamOS have all those features, but that's a pain in the ass, and a lot of what I would consider, unnecessary work.

17 minutes ago, dalekphalm said:

Err - yes and no. Yes, SteamOS is a derivative of Debian. But no, SteamOS does not have all the capabilities out of the box as a standard Debian install would. Common sense would dictate that you knew what I was talking about.

If you take two identical computers. Install SteamOS on one, then install Debian + Steam on the other. Which box is more capable right away? The 2nd one. By far. Sure, you can make SteamOS have all those features, but that's a pain in the ass, and a lot of what I would consider, unnecessary work.

Err, yes it does. SteamOS is Debian with Steam pre-installed configured to boot directly in big picture mode. Change it's auto login options or simply enable the desktop and you are in Debian, with nothing stripped out of it.

enable-access-to-the-linux-desktop-steam

steamos-return-to-desktop.png

steamos-desktop.png

steamos-activities-applications4.png

steamos-add-remove-software.png

here's the only difference between SteamOS and Debian, the repositories, but then again adding repositories is the easiest thing to do in the linux playbook

steamos-software-sources.png

13 minutes ago, suicidalfranco said:

Err, yes it does. SteamOS is Debian with Steam pre-installed configured to boot directly in big picture mode. Change it's auto login options or simply enable the desktop and you are in Debian, with nothing stripped out of it.

enable-access-to-the-linux-desktop-steam

steamos-return-to-desktop.png

steamos-desktop.png

steamos-activities-applications4.png

steamos-add-remove-software.png

here's the only difference between SteamOS and Debian, the repositories, but then again adding repositories is the easiest thing to do in the linux playbook

steamos-software-sources.png

Hmm interesting. Point conceded.

What applications are installed by default though? Does it contain an Audio Player, Video Player, etc?

3 minutes ago, dalekphalm said:

Hmm interesting. Point conceded.

What applications are installed by default though? Does it contain an Audio Player, Video Player, etc?

comes with fundamental apps, a browser (iceweaseal), file explorer (nautilus), terminal, valve bug tracker, disk utility, various network tools, pdf reader, dconf editor, calculator and a blast from the past: brasero

Audio and video player are done by steam.

9 minutes ago, suicidalfranco said:

comes with fundamental apps, a browser (iceweaseal), file explorer (nautilus), terminal, valve bug tracker, disk utility, various network tools, pdf reader, dconf editor, calculator and a blast from the past: brasero

Audio and video player are done by steam.

And the built-in Steam players? What capabilities do they have? Ability to playback any local or network drive content of a variety of file types, MP3, FLAC, MKV, MP4 (Different codecs, H264 being the big one), etc?

Guys steamOS was never meant to be a replacement for windows.

Valve are not retards. They know that they cannot compete with microsoft when it comes to making a desktop OS for productivity. Even if you go the steamOS site Valve clarified that it is not a general purpose OS. Yes you can exit steam and go the desktop, you can install any debian application etc. You can even download a game from gog etc... So yes it it possible, but that just means it is not locked down. It does not mean that this is the purpose of the operating system.

What steamOS is is a target platform. It gives games devs a target platform when they are building for linux users. Basically it uplifts the entire linux ecosystem by giving a stable target rather than devs getting confused by all the different distros. Any distro that wants to be compatible with games knows that they have to be compatible with steamOS games. I use linux. But not steamOS. Basically Linux Mint and today I switched to Fedora 25. On both these distros I install steam and game very effectively now. So valve's efforts have uplifted the entire linux gaming ecosystem.

Additionally steamOS itself is a pseudo console OS. It is designed to take your x86-64 PC and give you a linux environment where you can game out of the box from the couch using a controller without worrying about drivers and other stuff. So essentially it is an OS to enable steam machines. That's another job it does. The fact that steam machines have failed so far is a separate discussion, you can critize valve for that. But not for failing to make an ubuntu alternative which they never tried to do. Valve will continue to maintain steamOS and one day if steam machines take off it has an important role.

Remember Valve makes their money on the steam store. So regardless of whether you are using ubuntu, or mint or steamOS or whatever they are happy as long as you use steam and buy games via their store.

Valve will be hoping that linux overall becomes popular as a desktop OS, they do not want the microsoft monopoly to continue. But they are also know that this battle is outside their scope. They will hope that Linux Mint or Ubuntu or Fedora etc will take up that mantle. Meanwhile valve contributes in their small way to this battle by uplifting the linux gaming ecosytem. But making linux a windows competitor overall is not valve's job.

what valve says

http://store.steampowered.com/steamos/

Users should not consider SteamOS as a replacement for their desktop operating system. SteamOS is being designed and optimized for the living room experience.

4 minutes ago, Humbug said:

Valve are not retards.

wrongkiddoorigin.jpg

2 minutes ago, dalekphalm said:

And the built-in Steam players? What capabilities do they have? Ability to playback any local or network drive content of a variety of file types, MP3, FLAC, MKV, MP4 (Different codecs, H264 being the big one), etc?

only mp3 for audio and for videos, no idea, i always install vlc first so never tried

7 minutes ago, Humbug said:

Guys steamOS was never meant to be a replacement for windows.

Valve are not retards. They know that they cannot compete with microsoft when it comes to making a desktop OS for productivity. Even if you go the steamOS site Valve clarified that it is not a general purpose OS. Yes you can exit steam and go the desktop, you can install any debian application etc. You can even download a game from gog etc... So yes it it possible, but that just means it is not locked down. It does not mean that this is the purpose of the operating system.

What steamOS is is a target platform. It gives games devs a target platform when they are building for linux users. Basically it uplifts the entire linux ecosystem by giving a stable target rather than devs getting confused by all the different distros. Any distro that wants to be compatible with games knows that they have to be compatible with steamOS games. I use linux. But not steamOS. Basically Linux Mint and today I switched to Fedora 25. On both these distros I install steam and game very effectively now. So valve's efforts have uplifted the entire linux gaming ecosystem.

Additionally steamOS itself is a pseudo console OS. It is designed to take your x86-64 PC and give you a linux environment where you can game out of the box from the couch using a controller without worrying about drivers and other stuff. So essentially it is an OS to enable steam machines. That's another job it does. The fact that steam machines have failed so far is a separate discussion, you can critize valve for that. But not for failing to make an ubuntu alternative which they never tried to do. Valve will continue to maintain steamOS and one day if steam machines take off it has an important role.

Remember Valve makes their money on the steam store. So regardless of whether you are using ubuntu, or mint or steamOS or whatever they are happy as long as you use steam and buy games via their store.

Valve will be hoping that linux overall becomes popular as a desktop OS, they do not want the microsoft monopoly to continue. But they are also know that this battle is outside their scope. They will hope that Linux Mint or Ubuntu or Fedora etc will take up that mantle. Meanwhile valve contributes in their small way to this battle by uplifting the linux gaming ecosytem. But making linux a windows competitor overall is not valve's job.

All that being true, they also fail as a Pseudo-Console OS. Any modern Console OS is out-of-the-box a way better experience, since a console is more than just gaming, it's a media consumption device.

3 minutes ago, suicidalfranco said:

only mp3 for audio and for videos, no idea, i always install vlc first so never tried

Interesting - So as a "Desktop" OS, it's not that bad then, since you can do anything Debian can do. But for a couch/gaming OS, it still looks quite limited out of the box.

7 minutes ago, dalekphalm said:

All that being true, they also fail as a Pseudo-Console OS. Any modern Console OS is out-of-the-box a way better experience, since a console is more than just gaming, it's a media consumption device.

Agreed 100%. It should be capable of handling your local music and video library seamlessly and playing any media file. As well as streaming from netfllx etc. Right now to do all of that is far too fiddly.

10 minutes ago, dalekphalm said:

Interesting - So as a "Desktop" OS, it's not that bad then, since you can do anything Debian can do. But for a couch/gaming OS, it still looks quite limited out of the box.

next step for valve imo should be incorporate kodi/xbmc's features (tv tuner, separates sections for audio and video, maybe even if just hidden to advance users, the addon, plugin support) in big picture, they've already nailed the interface imo (minus the on screen keyboard to use with a controller, but no one nails that one, they all equally suck)

2 minutes ago, suicidalfranco said:

next step for valve imo should be incorporate kodi/xbmc's features (tv tuner, separates sections for audio and video, maybe even if just hidden to advance users, the addon, plugin support) in big picture, they've already nailed the interface imo (minus the on screen keyboard to use with a controller, but no one nails that one, they all equally suck)

I agree - if they can integrate a Kodi/Plex like system, or even have an "App" ecosystem (Like Roku, etc), where you can simply download the Kodi and Plex Add-on's, that would go a long way to making it better.

Also, having an out-of-the-box Netflix add-on/plugin would be great. Does Netflix work in the SteamOS browser?

7 minutes ago, dalekphalm said:

I agree - if they can integrate a Kodi/Plex like system, or even have an "App" ecosystem (Like Roku, etc), where you can simply download the Kodi and Plex Add-on's, that would go a long way to making it better.

Also, having an out-of-the-box Netflix add-on/plugin would be great. Does Netflix work in the SteamOS browser?

nah, you must use chrome or install the chrome based web app and add them as non steam app to see them on big picture