AMD Ryzen - No Windows 7 Support?!?

12 minutes ago, Ekst4zy said:

Can someone tell me what's WRONG  with windows 7? Mayne I don't want all this additional crap the added in windows 8 - 10. I honestly don't care about dx12 even tho I have gtx 1080. I really don't like what they are doing with w10 and how they force users to have stuff they don't want. I'm considering jumping to w8.1 if ryzen will support it. 

What kind of things do you think Windows 10 is forcing users to have? Genuinely curious.

28 minutes ago, Notional said:

Who cares? No one should use Windows 7 today.

Well, for consumers it comes down to personal preference.

I tired W10 for 3-4 months and i just didn't like it so i went back to W7.

Anyway, most W7 machines today can be found in the business world.

Why you might ask? Well first of all current/older machines run W7, most IT infrastuctures are designed with W7 in mind so adding new systems that run W7 is very easy for them.

W7 is also enough for what they do with it, it gets updates, support like you would expect and every modern program works on it.

But then there's the big elephant in the room, the way W10 updates. In short, it's a massive pain in the *** and a nightmare to maintain.

It's much more difficult to properly control updates to the clients, they just happen if you like it or not which can be VERY annoying if an update breaks compatibility with a program. But that's not the biggest problem with it.

By now we all know MS likes to release new builds, problem with that is that with every new build the foundation of W10 changes a bit, kernel get slightly tweaked, GPO stuff changes and a lot of other things. Which means with every new build EVERYTHING needs to be checked for possible leaks, faults or issues. And with the rate new builds are pushed out this is 1-2 times a year, which is awful because checking everything can take months.

Now let's compare that to W7 shall we. W7 has 2 builds, 7600 and 7601 and because there are no new builds planned and 7601 is already a few years old, there's no need to check everything every few months like you have to do with W10. The config that they have now is very likely the one they will use when they phase their stuff out which is impossible with W10. So that brings maintenance costs down A LOT. Time = money and companies want to spent as little money as possible. 

So there you have it, maybe we shouldn't use it but companies do because it's a lot cheaper and much more reliable for them. :P

If you want my attention, quote meh! D: or just stick an @samcool55 in your post :3

Spying on everyone to fight against terrorism is like shooting a mosquito with a cannon

6 minutes ago, Schubaltz said:

What kind of things do you think Windows 10 is forcing users to have? Genuinely curious.

For me personally? The SuperBowl snack reminder and edge "adds". Maybe for some people it's nothing. For me it's huge nono. 

Intel i7 3770k@4.7GHz delidded NZXT Kraken x62 Asus P8Z77-V PRO/Thunderbolt | G.Skill Ripjaws Z 16GB (2x8GB) 2400Mhz | EVGA GTX 1070 FTW

Phanteks Eclipse P400 Tempered Glass | EVGA SuperNOVA 750W P2 | 840 evo 256gb + HyperX 3k 480gb + 2 HDD (2TB) Asus Essence STX + Sennheiser HD580

AOC G2460PG 144Hz 24" + Asus VH236H 23" | Razer Blackwidow Tournament Edition Stealth | Logitech G703

Windows 10 Pro

Pixelbook 2017 (i5, 8GB, 128GB)

4 minutes ago, Ekst4zy said:

For me personally? The SuperBowl snack reminder and edge "adds". Maybe for some people it's nothing. For me it's huge nono. 

Edge? The thing we use to download Chrome?

37 minutes ago, it_dont_work said:

While I am agreeing with this more and more each day, AMD and their hardware is very popular in the Asian market and business and sales wise it would make sense to support windows 7 at least for a few more years. No reason to cut out a potentially large volume of customers still using (most of the time pirated) a slightly old os

If most of them have a pirated version of Windows 7 I don't see why they couldn't switch to a pirated version of Windows 10. :P

While I prefer Windows 10 over 7 (mainly because it feels snapier), I don't really see a reason not to support Windows 7, which still is a damn good OS (and best looking Windows out there).

8 minutes ago, Schubaltz said:

Onedrive, skype, edge AND ie, fucking candy crush, windows store, cortana, silly messages from edge and that's just what i can remember from the little time i used it more than a year ago.

If you want my attention, quote meh! D: or just stick an @samcool55 in your post :3

Spying on everyone to fight against terrorism is like shooting a mosquito with a cannon

16 minutes ago, DeadEyePsycho said:

The hilarious part is that I did a Windows 10 deployment at a school I work at. It's actually fairly cheap for educational institutions, especially with grants.

Here in New Zealand almost every Microsoft product is free for schools, there is a collective agreement between the government and Microsoft so while money is paid schools themselves pay nothing.

Only home users pay large amounts for Windows desktop licenses, even businesses don't pay anywhere near the list price when you have a Microsoft Agreement and use Volume Licensing.

12 minutes ago, leadeater said:

Here in New Zealand almost every Microsoft product is free for schools, there is a collective agreement between the government and Microsoft so while money is paid schools themselves pay nothing.

Only home users pay large amounts for Windows desktop licenses, even businesses don't pay anywhere near the list price when you have a Microsoft Agreement and use Volume Licensing.

Same here in America for the most part. Here in New York, MS products are free for individual schools since the state handles the purchase part.

[Out-of-date] Want to learn how to make your own custom Windows 10 image?

Desktop: AMD R9 3900X | ASUS ROG Strix X570-F | Radeon RX 5700 XT | EVGA GTX 1080 SC | 32GB Trident Z Neo 3600MHz | 1TB 970 EVO | 256GB 840 EVO | 960GB Corsair Force LE | EVGA G2 850W | Phanteks P400S

Laptop: Intel M-5Y10c | Intel HD Graphics | 8GB RAM | 250GB Micron SSD | Asus UX305FA

Server 01: Intel Xeon D 1541 | ASRock Rack D1541D4I-2L2T | 32GB Hynix ECC DDR4 | 4x8TB Western Digital HDDs | 32TB Raw 16TB Usable

Server 02: Intel i7 7700K | Gigabye Z170N Gaming5 | 16GB Trident Z 3200MHz

4 minutes ago, samcool55 said:

Onedrive, skype, edge AND ie, fucking candy crush, windows store, cortana, silly messages from edge and that's just what i can remember from the little time i used it more than a year ago.

OneDrive can be uninstalled, which is what I do on every new installation, Skype Preview is something you have to download from the store to function, never used Windows Store, Cortana can be disabled and Edge has never given me a silly message.

I personally like it.

https://hardforum.com/threads/amd-ryzen-and-windows-7-driver-support.1924014/#post-1042800472

For the last couple of days we have seen rumors and postings talking about AMD's new Ryzen having driver support for Windows 7, but nothing with a solid source. This, of course, contradicts what we had previously heard about Ryzen only supporting Windows 10, so we reached out to AMD to see if we could get some clarity for our readers. Does Ryzen have Windows 7 support or not?

Yes, we have drivers for win 7 today on the AM4 platform because we enabled 7th gen A-series for dell, HP, Lenovo etc last year with the launch of our AMD 7th Generation A-series processors.

So there you go, straight from the horse's mouth. No BS.

So, AMD told HardOCP that they have Windows 7 drivers for Ryzen.

50 minutes ago, Technicolors said:

that's what i am guessing

Jayz' BSOD likely had nothing to do with the Kaby CPU:

You own the software that you purchase - Understanding software licenses and EULAs

"We’ll know our disinformation program is complete when everything the american public believes is false" - William Casey, CIA Director 1981-1987

2 minutes ago, DeadEyePsycho said:

Same here in America for the most part. Here in New York MS, products are free for individual schools since the state handles the purchase part.

Schools also get really nice deals from other companies too, like VMware. One of the best I know of is JAMF Casper Suite, that you only pay the maintenance cost the actual licenses are free so upfront cost is low :). Education sector gets it cushy.

26 minutes ago, Ekst4zy said:

Can someone tell me what's WRONG  with windows 7? Mayne I don't want all this additional crap the added in windows 8 - 10. I honestly don't care about dx12 even tho I have gtx 1080. I really don't like what they are doing with w10 and how they force users to have stuff they don't want. I'm considering jumping to w8.1 if ryzen will support it. 

While there isn't inherently anything wrong with Windows 7, as far as it still being used by many people, to bring some aspects of 7 up to 10 (or even 8), would require quite a bit of reworking. That's essentially how we got 8 and 10.

The thing about Windows 7, and the disappearing hardware support going forward, is that it's just more software to code for and validate on said hardware, which takes up man hours and R&D $$$.

Windows 7 and 8 work well enough on some Kaby machines, a bit buggy, and the worse we've seen so far can happen on systems that support them (albeit not as often).

Come Bloody Angel

Break off your chains

And look what I've found in the dirt.

Pale battered body

Seems she was struggling

Something is wrong with this world.

Fierce Bloody Angel

The blood is on your hands

Why did you come to this world?

Everybody turns to dust.

Everybody turns to dust.

The blood is on your hands.

The blood is on your hands!

Pyo.

57 minutes ago, outercry said:

It's quite "hilarious" to see yet another report that contradicts another. I'm just going to wait for Ryzen and Vega to launch and see what is actually true and what is not.

As you should always do, with anything.

CPU: AMD Ryzen 3700x / GPU: Asus Radeon RX 6750XT OC 12GB / RAM: Corsair Vengeance LPX 2x8GB DDR4-3200
MOBO: MSI B450m Gaming Plus / NVME: Corsair MP510 240GB / Case: TT Core v21 / PSU: Seasonic 750W / OS: Win 10 Pro

1 minute ago, Schubaltz said:

OneDrive can be uninstalled, which is what I do on every new installation, Skype Preview is something you have to download from the store to function, never used Windows Store, Cortana can be disabled and Edge has never given me a silly message.

I personally like it.

No idea about onedrive but still it shouldn't be there in the first place, same with skype preview, the store is there wasting hdd space for nothing, cortana can't be disabled ( http://www.pcworld.com/article/3100358/windows/you-cant-turn-off-cortana-in-the-windows-10-anniversary-update.html ) and Edge does give silly messages when you use chrome or another browser telling you can save battery life with edge. Also the superbowl BS in W10 is a clear sign imo it keeps going downhill.

No idea about onedrive but still it shouldn't be there in the first place, same with skype preview, the store is there wasting hdd space for nothing, cortana can't be disabled ( http://www.pcworld.com/article/3100358/windows/you-cant-turn-off-cortana-in-the-windows-10-anniversary-update.html ) and Edge does give silly messages when you use chrome or another browser telling you can save battery life with edge. Also the superbowl BS in W10 is a clear sign imo it keeps going downhill.

Ah, well it may not be disabling Cortana but I have never seen it for some reason..

Haven't experience the Edge notifications, either.

1 hour ago, Notional said:

[Citation Needed]

3 minutes ago, Schubaltz said:

Ah, well it may not be disabling Cortana but I have never seen it for some reason..

Haven't experience the Edge notifications, either.

Well it seems like you have a different experience then :P

Anyway i'll stick for W7 for now, W10 did let me down multiple times when i used in on my notebook for school and since i went back to W7 it never happened again :D

37 minutes ago, Ekst4zy said:

Can someone tell me what's WRONG  with windows 7? 

There's nothing wrong with Windows 7, provided you don't make it try to do things more modern than it's compatible for.

For example, Windows 7 does not have native USB 3.0 support. If you want USB 3.0 support, you have to supply drivers for it. There might be other features here and there, but since Microsoft has diverted resources away from Windows 7 support, the chances of it supporting modern hardware get slimmer and slimmer.

EDIT: Actually that's not Microsoft's call. It depends on if the manufacturers want to write drivers for Windows 7 or not.

Well it seems like you have a different experience then :P

Anyway i'll stick for W7 for now, W10 did let me down multiple times when i used in on my notebook for school and since i went back to W7 it never happened again :D

Should give it another go, eventually.

1 minute ago, Schubaltz said:

Should give it another go, eventually.

I'm not going to say you HAVE to go back to W7, but it can be very therapeutic going back even if it's just for a few hours / few days :P

I have a netbook for example with XP on it (of course no internet connection) and i really enjoy it from time to time.

47 minutes ago, SCHISCHKA said:

^ this guy is onto it

But I'm worried it will be too hard to use. One person told me you gotta take a bunch of extra steps with codes just to do normal things like browsers, games and other various programs.

~Moved to CPUs, Motherboards and Memory

We have a NEW and GLORIOUSER-ER-ER PSU Tier List Now. (dammit @LukeSavenije stop coming up with new ones)

You can check out the old one that gave joy to so many across the land here

Computer having a hard time powering on? Troubleshoot it with this guide. (Currently looking for suggestions to update it into the context of <current year> and make it its own thread)

Computer Specs:

Spoiler

Mathresolvermajig: Intel Xeon E3 1240 (Sandy Bridge i7 equivalent)

Chillinmachine: Noctua NH-C14S
Framepainting-inator: EVGA GTX 1080 Ti SC2 Hybrid

Attachcorethingy: Gigabyte H61M-S2V-B3

Infoholdstick: Corsair 2x4GB DDR3 1333

Computerarmor: Silverstone RL06 "Lookalike"

Rememberdoogle: 1TB HDD + 120GB TR150 + 240 SSD Plus + 1TB MX500

AdditionalPylons: Phanteks AMP! 550W (based on Seasonic GX-550)

Letterpad: Rosewill Apollo 9100 (Cherry MX Red)

Buttonrodent: Razer Viper Mini + Huion H430P drawing Tablet

Auralnterface: Sennheiser HD 6xx

Liquidrectangles: LG 27UK850-W 4K HDR

10 minutes ago, Okjoek said:

But I'm worried it will be too hard to use. One person told me you gotta take a bunch of extra steps with codes just to do normal things like browsers, games and other various programs.

your mate's advice is useless. browsers are installed by default. dont be afraid of the command line, its easier to copy/paste instructions from a wiki than it is to dig through a GUI. People who are scared of typing commands should be treated at the same level as this tablet:

1403692267.jpg

☼

ψ ︿_____︿_ψ_   

1 hour ago, M.Yurizaki said:

There's nothing wrong with Windows 7, provided you don't make it try to do things more modern than it's compatible for.

For example, Windows 7 does not have native USB 3.0 support. If you want USB 3.0 support, you have to supply drivers for it. There might be other features here and there, but since Microsoft has diverted resources away from Windows 7 support, the chances of it supporting modern hardware get slimmer and slimmer.

EDIT: Actually that's not Microsoft's call. It depends on if the manufacturers want to write drivers for Windows 7 or not.

I was referring to the guy who said that nobody should use w7 anyways. I'm fully aware of that it's a problem for manufacturers.

Intel i7 3770k@4.7GHz delidded NZXT Kraken x62 Asus P8Z77-V PRO/Thunderbolt | G.Skill Ripjaws Z 16GB (2x8GB) 2400Mhz | EVGA GTX 1070 FTW

Phanteks Eclipse P400 Tempered Glass | EVGA SuperNOVA 750W P2 | 840 evo 256gb + HyperX 3k 480gb + 2 HDD (2TB) Asus Essence STX + Sennheiser HD580

AOC G2460PG 144Hz 24" + Asus VH236H 23" | Razer Blackwidow Tournament Edition Stealth | Logitech G703

Windows 10 Pro

Pixelbook 2017 (i5, 8GB, 128GB)