Painting Noctua Fans

JimSmith1962
Go to solution Solved by SCHISCHKA,

i cut the case off an old black fan and stuck on the front of my noctua. hides it pretty well

So I've been thinking,,,,, about how ugly these brown Noctua fans are. Has anyone thought about and successfully accomplished it? If so would your share the process you used?

Thanks

Rossetta Stoned

You can take the fan apart and paint the housing, but painting the fan blades and hub will throw off the balance and ultimately shorten the fan's lifespan. Oh, and painting a fan voids the warranty.

Buy Redux series fans if the poop fans bother you.

Aerocool DS are the best fans you've never tried.

5 minutes ago, JimSmith1962 said:

So I've been thinking,,,,, about how ugly these brown Noctua fans are. Has anyone thought about and successfully accomplished it? If so would your share the process you used?

Thanks

Get Industrial PPC Fans instead

CPU: Intel Core i7-5820K | Motherboard: AsRock X99 Extreme4 | Graphics Card: Gigabyte GTX 1080 G1 Gaming | RAM: 16GB G.Skill Ripjaws4 2133MHz | Storage: 1 x Samsung 860 EVO 1TB | 1 x WD Green 2TB | 1 x WD Blue 500GB | PSU: Corsair RM750x | Case: Phanteks Enthoo Pro (White) | Cooling: Arctic Freezer i32

Mice: Logitech G Pro X Superlight (main), Logitech G Pro Wireless, Razer Viper Ultimate, Zowie S1 Divina Blue, Zowie FK1-B Divina Blue, Logitech G Pro (3366 sensor), Glorious Model O, Razer Viper Mini, Logitech G305, Logitech G502, Logitech G402

Painting fans is bad because it unbalances the rotor and adds mass to the blades, which causes flattening when they spin.

If you don't like the colour then buy redux or PPC fans, or buy from another brand.

There's no point in paying for noctua if you're going to ruin all their advantages with paint.

NEW PC build: Blank Heaven   minimalist white and black PC     Old S340 build log "White Heaven"        The "LIGHTCANON" flashlight build log        Project AntiRoll (prototype)        Custom speaker project

Spoiler

Ryzen 3950X | AMD Vega Frontier Edition | ASUS X570 Pro WS | Corsair Vengeance LPX 64GB | NZXT H500 | Seasonic Prime Fanless TX-700 | Custom loop | Coolermaster SK630 White | Logitech MX Master 2S | Samsung 980 Pro 1TB + 970 Pro 512GB | Samsung 58" 4k TV | Scarlett 2i4 | 2x AT2020

CPU Cooler Tier List  || Motherboard VRMs Tier List || Motherboard Beep & POST Codes || Graphics Card Tier List || PSU Tier List 

Main System Specifications: 

CPU: AMD Ryzen 9 5950X ||  CPU Cooler: Noctua NH-D15 Air Cooler ||  RAM: Corsair Vengeance LPX 32GB(4x8GB) DDR4-3600 CL18  ||  Mobo: ASUS ROG Crosshair VIII Dark Hero X570  ||  SSD: Samsung 970 EVO 1TB M.2-2280 Boot Drive/Some Games)  ||  HDD: 2X Western Digital Caviar Blue 1TB(Game Drive)  ||  GPU: ASUS TUF Gaming RX 6900XT  ||  PSU: EVGA P2 1600W  ||  Case: Corsair 5000D Airflow  ||  Mouse: Logitech G502 Hero SE RGB  ||  Keyboard: Logitech G513 Carbon RGB with GX Blue Clicky Switches  ||  Mouse Pad: MAINGEAR ASSIST XL ||  Monitor: ASUS TUF Gaming VG34VQL1B 34" 

Thanks everyone. The thing is that I have purchased these already about 2-3 years ago and was just wanting to make things look better.

Rossetta Stoned

i cut the case off an old black fan and stuck on the front of my noctua. hides it pretty well

☼

ψ ︿_____︿_ψ_   

1 hour ago, SCHISCHKA said:

what do you mean by this? 

ive painted noctua fans and they turned out pretty well.

they do not disassemble without permanent damage.

you have to mask off what you don't want painted, using light fanned coats on the blade assembly (to prevent build up which makes the blade assembly unbalanced) and allow to dry for 2 solid days (prevents finger smudges and painting damages when unmasking).

1024x 09302012 001.jpg1024x 09302012 003.jpg1024x 09302012 005.jpg

30 minutes ago, airdeano said:

i see people say painting causes unbalancing and extra wear on the motor; I think this is BS assumptions, because I can paint pretty well and when paint is applied properly the liquid levels itself. Can you confirm there is no rpm drop or unbalancing after painting? If you suspend a stock Noctua fan on rubber bands it will bounce around from imperfect balancing anyway, nothing is perfect

The shiny white looks good btw, what is the name of the colour?

43 minutes ago, Technicolors said:

what do you mean by this? 

stick a better looking fan & grill in front but cut out the motor. i did this to make it act like a duct to my cpu cooler

☼

ψ ︿_____︿_ψ_   

9 minutes ago, SCHISCHKA said:

i see people say painting causes unbalancing and extra wear on the motor; I think this is BS assumptions, because I can paint pretty well and when paint is applied properly the liquid levels itself. Can you confirm there is no rpm drop or unbalancing after painting? If you suspend a stock Noctua fan on rubber bands it will bounce around from imperfect balancing anyway, nothing is perfect

The shiny white looks good btw, what is the name of the colour?

i can confirm that too much or improperly controlled paint on the blades can 'wreck' the performance. they can be easily made unbalanced, make terrible noises, but the 'speed' will not be affected. but like rotating axles, the more unbalanced, the prolonged effects will be bearing failure. yes, it'll dance uncontrollably and pretty much destroy itself.

i destroyed a P14 exactly by too much paint too soon and it puddled to the tips and was an unbalanced POS nightmare.

the white is rattle can krylon gloss white

16 minutes ago, SCHISCHKA said:

stick a better looking fan & grill in front but cut out the motor. i did this to make it act like a duct to my cpu cooler

still not following you. sorry if i'm not understanding 

56 minutes ago, airdeano said:

they do not disassemble without permanent damage.

you have to mask off what you don't want painted, using light fanned coats on the blade assembly (to prevent build up which makes the blade assembly unbalanced) and allow to dry for 2 solid days (prevents finger smudges and painting damages when unmasking).

that looks fantastic. i would love to do that with my noctua cpu fan but like you said, if you mess up it can cause unbalance or noises. 

do you have any shots of the fans just still? 

Perfect! Great job BTW! How did you prep/clean them prior to painting?

Rossetta Stoned