U.S.S Enterprise has officially been decommissioned by U.S. Navy.

The Enterprise being decommissioned marks the end of a very successful 50+ year experiment; as it was the very first nuclear powered carrier ever built. The introduction of a nuclear fuel source for the Navy's largest vessels has enabled these floating cities to operate for sustained periods of time without the constant need to be refueled while underway.  Instead Nuclear carriers  are typically refueled every 20-25 years; which is done typically at the ship yard that constructed the ship.  This refueling process lasts 4 years because the entire ship is given a massive overhaul to update and modernize it's systems. 

During the Enterprise's career she played a role in the Cuban missile crises, launched the first strikes against Al-Qaeda in Afghanistan,Played a small bit part in Star Trek 4,  and was even the flag ship of Naval legend Fleet Admiral Chester Nimitz.  Her Home port for most of her career was in NAS Alameda in California, but was eventually transferred in 2012 to NAS Norfolk in Virginia; where she performed her final deployment before being retired.  After her final deployment she was retired and then transferred up river to Newport News Naval Shipyard to begin the de-fueling process.  While she has spent the last few years in retirement her official decommissioning wasn't until just now.  The remainder of the ship will be taken apart and the metal recycled for future use.  

The Navy does not plan on letting the Enterprise namesake end with her however.  A new Gerald Ford class carrier with the name Enterprise has been approved and will be constructed at the Newport News Naval Shipyard, which is where the original Enterprise was constructed and will ultimately be laid to rest.

Here is a local news outlet's reporting of it. 
http://www.13newsnow.com/news/military/navy-decommissions-legendary-uss-enterprise/392520625

Here is a picture of the Enterprise birthed in Norfolk.  She is the third from the bottom ship with "65" written on the side. 

Enterprise.jpg

Yep. They'll make another, like you said. The Enterprise name has been around as long as our country has. This is like, the 6th ship to bear the name. Still, I think it's always sad to see a ship go.

<<former US Navy sailor.

Screenaninator: Sapphire Radeon R9 390 Nitro

Procrastinator: AMD FX-8300

Stickaminator: 16GB Crucial Vengance DDR3

Powermathingy: Corsair RM850i

attachamajiggy: Asus M5A97 R2.0 f

Remembrerthing: 240 GB Crucial SSD, 2TB Toshiba HDD

On 2/4/2017 at 10:26 AM, Thunderpup said:

The Enterprise being decommissioned marks the end of a very successful 50+ year experiment; as it was the very first nuclear powered carrier ever built. The introduction of a nuclear fuel source for the Navy's largest vessels has enabled these floating cities to operate for sustained periods of time without the constant need to be refueled while underway.  Instead Nuclear carriers  are typically refueled every 20-25 years; which is done typically at the ship yard that constructed the ship.  This refueling process lasts 4 years because the entire ship is given a massive overhaul to update and modernize it's systems. 

During the Enterprise's career she played a role in the Cuban missile crises, launched the first strikes against Al-Qaeda in Afghanistan,Played a small bit part in Star Trek 4,  and was even the flag ship of Naval legend Fleet Admiral Chester Nimitz.  Her Home port for most of her career was in NAS Alameda in California, but was eventually transferred in 2012 to NAS Norfolk in Virginia; where she performed her final deployment before being retired.  After her final deployment she was retired and then transferred up river to Newport News Naval Shipyard to begin the de-fueling process.  While she has spent the last few years in retirement her official decommissioning wasn't until just now.  The remainder of the ship will be taken apart and the metal recycled for future use.  

The Navy does not plan on letting the Enterprise namesake end with her however.  A new Gerald Ford class carrier with the name Enterprise has been approved and will be constructed at the Newport News Naval Shipyard, which is where the original Enterprise was constructed and will ultimately be laid to rest.

Here is a local news outlet's reporting of it. 
http://www.13newsnow.com/news/military/navy-decommissions-legendary-uss-enterprise/392520625

Here is a picture of the Enterprise birthed in Norfolk.  She is the third from the bottom ship with "65" written on the side. 

Damn, 5 CVNs and 4 LHDs in that picture...Definitely not a day I would want to drive to Naval Station Norfolk! Wonder if they officially decided NNS is going to do the dismantling. Puget Sound Naval Shipyard has dismantled all the nuclear cruisers and submarines; but there was discussion of opening it up to bid. Wouldn't surprise me if Newport News is going to get to do it considering they're god's gift to the navy.

Good post. Always glad to see this stuff get more exposure. Also, not to be pedantic, but Newport News Shipbuilding isn't a Naval Shipyard; it's a private yard that's been owned by a few different companies; most recently Huntington Ingalls Industries. The Naval Shipyards are public (owned by govt) and operated by Navy Civilians (Norfolk, Puget Sound, Portsmouth, & Pearl Harbor).

7 hours ago, TopDollar said:

Damn, 5 CVNs and 4 LHDs in that picture...Definitely not a day I would want to drive to Naval Station Norfolk! 

Also, not to be pedantic, but Newport News Shipbuilding isn't a Naval Shipyard; it's a private yard that's been owned by a few different companies; most recently Huntington Ingalls Industries. The Naval Shipyards are public (owned by govt) and operated by Navy Civilians (Norfolk, Puget Sound, Portsmouth, & Pearl Harbor).

1.  Yea that picture was taken in 2012 during the sequestor when deployments were delayed and so there was a higher than average amount of carriers in port.  good for the local economy but did make for some shitty traffic conditions, though that doesn;t take much here.

2. Yea i realized that after my first edit.  Lots of folks add "naval" to newport news' title  around here most likely because of it being in the title of Norfolk's.

2 hours ago, Thunderpup said:

1.  Yea that picture was taken in 2012 during the sequestor when deployments were delayed and so there was a higher than average amount of carriers in port.  good for the local economy but did make for some shitty traffic conditions, though that doesn;t take much here.

2. Yea i realized that after my first edit.  Lots of folks add "naval" to newport news' title  around here most likely because of it being in the title of Norfolk's.

Haha yeah that's true; I hear that stuff all the time. Us navy yard guys tend to get a little salty when we get confused with being contractors :P

Lets hope the next one lives up to the last 2 ships standers. 

Good luck, Have fun, Build PC, and have a last gen console for use once a year. I should answer most of the time between 9 to 3 PST

NightHawk 3.0: R7 5700x @, B550A vision D, H105, 2x32gb Oloy 3600, Sapphire RX 6700XT  Nitro+, Corsair RM750X, 500 gb 850 evo, 2tb rocket and 5tb Toshiba x300, 2x 6TB WD Black W10 all in a 750D airflow.
GF PC: (nighthawk 2.0): R7 2700x, B450m vision D, 4x8gb Geli 2933, Strix GTX970, CX650M RGB, Obsidian 350D

Skunkworks: R5 3500U, 16gb, 500gb Adata XPG 6000 lite, Vega 8. HP probook G455R G6 Ubuntu 20. LTS

Condor (MC server): 6600K, z170m plus, 16gb corsair vengeance LPX, samsung 750 evo, EVGA BR 450.

Spirt  (NAS) ASUS Z9PR-D12, 2x E5 2620V2, 8x4gb, 24 3tb HDD. F80 800gb cache, trueNAS, 2x12disk raid Z3 stripped

PSU Tier List      Motherboard Tier List     SSD Tier List     How to get PC parts cheap    HP probook 445R G6 review

"Stupidity is like trying to find a limit of a constant. You are never truly smart in something, just less stupid."

Camera Gear: X-S10, 16-80 F4, 60D, 24-105 F4, 50mm F1.4, Helios44-m, 2 Cos-11D lavs

3 minutes ago, GDRRiley said:

Lets hope the next one lives up to the last 2 ships standers. 

Hopefully most of the bugs from the Ford and Kennedy will be worked out by then

Are they going to make a USS Next Generation?

when it comes space war time?

On 2/4/2017 at 10:26 AM, Thunderpup said:

CVN-65-A?

Aerocool DS are the best fans you've never tried.

1 hour ago, aisle9 said:

CVN-65-A?

CVN-80, actually:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/USS_Enterprise_(CVN-80)

Remember, the CVN-65 is the second US Aircraft Carrier to bear that name. The CV-6 was the first, which served during WW2.

For Sale: Meraki Bundle

iPhone Xr 128 GB Product Red - HP Spectre x360 13" (i5 - 8 GB RAM - 256 GB SSD) - HP ZBook 15v G5 15" (i7-8850H - 16 GB RAM - 512 GB SSD - NVIDIA Quadro P600)

Are they going to make a new nuclear powered one?

♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥

My entire life is references to TV shows and Memes.

Dell OptiPlex 755, Intel Core 2 Duo @ 3GHz, 4GB DDR2, Windows XP Professional, Office 2003 Pro

22 minutes ago, Satisfoxy said:

The USS Gerald R. Ford (CVN-78) will be replacing the Enterprise, and yes, it is another nuclear powered vessel. 

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gerald_R._Ford-class_aircraft_carrier

CPU: i9-13900k MOBO: Asus Strix Z790-E RAM: 64GB GSkill  CPU Cooler: Corsair H170i

GPU: Asus Strix RTX-4090 Case: Fractal Torrent PSU: Corsair HX-1000i Storage: 2TB Samsung 990 Pro

2 hours ago, Satisfoxy said:

See my quoted post below. There are three Gerald R. Ford class Nuclear Aircraft Carriers currently being built - the USS Gerald R. Ford (CVN-78) was completed in 2013, but is still undergoing testing, etc, and is scheduled to be commissioned sometime this year.

There's also the USS John F. Kennedy (CVN-79), and the USS Enterprise (CVN-80) that are also being built.

13 hours ago, dalekphalm said:

CVN-80, actually:

Remember, the CVN-65 is the second US Aircraft Carrier to bear that name. The CV-6 was the first, which served during WW2.

2 hours ago, Real_PhillBert said:

The USS Gerald R. Ford (CVN-78) will be replacing the Enterprise, and yes, it is another nuclear powered vessel. 

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gerald_R._Ford-class_aircraft_carrier

Well, it depends on how you interpret @Satisfoxy's question. The next carrier is gonna be the CVN-78, which could mean "replacing" the Enterprise with that. But if he meant are they going to build another nuclear powered carrier called the Enterprise, then the answer would be different.

45 minutes ago, Thunderpup said:

More specifically a Ford Class carrier will hold the name Enterprise. 

Yes. Along with another one (launching this year) called the Gerald R Ford.

iPhone Xr 128 GB Product Red - HP Spectre x360 13" (i5 - 8 GB RAM - 256 GB SSD) - HP ZBook 15v G5 15" (i7-8850H - 16 GB RAM - 512 GB SSD - NVIDIA Quadro P600)

53 minutes ago, dalekphalm said:

Well, it depends on how you interpret @Satisfoxy's question. The next carrier is gonna be the CVN-78, which could mean "replacing" the Enterprise with that. But if he meant are they going to build another nuclear powered carrier called the Enterprise, then the answer would be different.

I guess I took it as replacing the duties of the outgoing USS Enterprise, in which case, the USS Gerald R. Ford will be the replacement vessel.

Either way both interpretations of the question are answered in the link I provided. 

53 minutes ago, dalekphalm said:

FYI the Gerald R. Ford launched in 2013, it will be commissioned later this year. 

CPU: i9-13900k MOBO: Asus Strix Z790-E RAM: 64GB GSkill  CPU Cooler: Corsair H170i

GPU: Asus Strix RTX-4090 Case: Fractal Torrent PSU: Corsair HX-1000i Storage: 2TB Samsung 990 Pro

45 minutes ago, dalekphalm said:

Yep, cant wait to snap a picture of it birthed in Norfolk. 

15 hours ago, dalekphalm said:

CVN-80, actually:

The WW2 Enterprise was badass.  The most decorated US Navy ship of the war if I remember right.  

If you haven't seen it I highly recommend you get and watch the history channel's Battle 360 series about the Enterprise.  It's really good.  ?

The Patton 360 companion series is also interesting too.  

This was from back when the history channel actually focused on history and not pawn shops and aliens.

10 minutes ago, Bleedingyamato said:

The WW2 Enterprise was badass.  The most decorated US Navy ship of the war if I remember right.  

If you haven't seen it I highly recommend you get and watch the history channel's Battle 360 series about the Enterprise.  It's really good.  ?

The Patton 360 companion series is also interesting too.  

This was from back when the history channel actually focused on history and not pawn shops and aliens.

I'll look into it. Wonder if it's on Netflix...

Anyway, obligatory:

Spoiler

I-am-not-saying.jpg

41 minutes ago, dalekphalm said:

I'll look into it. Wonder if it's on Netflix...

Anyway, obligatory:

Reveal hidden contents

I-am-not-saying.jpg

Idk but Amazon or somewhere should have it to buy.  It is worth owning IMO.  

There are sets for both series separately as well as a combined set with both.

Here's a link for the Battle 360 Blu-Ray set so you know what to look for whether or not you'd buy it:

https://www.amazon.com/Battle-360-Complete-Blu-ray-History/dp/B003JQZY6C/ref=pd_bxgy_74_3?_encoding=UTF8&psc=1&refRID=YQGDMRKZED8DDWM3DDDE