Nintendo Switch Branded SD Cards by Hori Will Be Available For 3X The Price Of A Normal SD Card

Xanthe_2871

Nintendo has partnered with HORI for “official” Switch-branded 16 GB and 32 GB SD cards. While it may be logical that Nintendo would sell official cards (these are for the Japanese launch, but there may end up being Western equivalents) the problem is in the price.

The 32 GB card is ¥7,900, or about $70 USD. But on Amazon, the “high end” 32 GB SD card from Sandisk is ¥2,690, or about $23 USD. Past that, if you want a cheaper version with the same amount of storage (but with slower read/write speed perhaps), you can find one for as little as ¥1,180/$10.

This is very interesting. While it's since been noted on the article that the true markup is less than 3X it's still being priced at a premium without offering any actual advantage. I wonder how many people will buy into this without doing any research. Similar schemes were pulled for the Wii and the DSi/3DS. 

Luke mentioned in his video about the Switch that other companies might make 3rd party switch docks; this SD card story may be the first of many as companies try to cash in with Nintendo Switch type-c cables, power packs, etc. Many consumers, particularly parents, are likely to buy the option with Switch branding rather than risk buying the cheaper option and have it not work. 

What do you think? :D

Source: http://www.forbes.com/sites/insertcoin/2017/01/29/new-nintendo-switch-branded-sd-cards-cost-3x-more-than-normal-ones/#2bc045945bc0

Yes, it's 2871 as in the year 2871. I traveled all this way, back in time, just to help you. And you thought your mama lied when she said you were special-_-

So basically Apple but for gaming?

So exactly like the ps1 and ps2, aftermarket memory cards were about a third the price. Given the difference here is sd cards aren't help back by patent and licensing as the ps memory cards were.

Silent build - You know your pc is too loud when the deaf complain. Windows 98 gaming build, smells like beige

9 minutes ago, deXxterlab97 said:

Good point! Yes! :)

Yes, it's 2871 as in the year 2871. I traveled all this way, back in time, just to help you. And you thought your mama lied when she said you were special-_-

14 minutes ago, Xanthe_2871 said:

¥7,900, or about $70 USD

you know.. if i had any expectation of media, i'd have questioned why they didnt look at what current SD cards cost in japan.

if anyone is surprised by anything like this anymore I will be dumbfounded,

companies do anything they can to make more money, im not against it but I wont buy it, but I still respect a fellow money maker.  even if they are a corrupt company (not nintendo)

2 hours ago, deXxterlab97 said:

Not quite, because you can still use any SD card and they don't force you to use the Nintendo one, lol 

System: i7 4790K, Hyper 212 EVO, 16 GB Crucial Ballistix, GTX 1070 Super clocked, MSI Z97S SLI Krait Edition, Corsair RM 750, Corsair 750D (with 2 additional 140mm NZXT fans up top for exhaust.) 

2 hours ago, Bubblewhale said:

Better than Sony with PS Vita memory cards...you have to use their cards or there is nothing else to use.

Same thing applies with a lot of Sony cameras ( video and photo) 

System: i7 4790K, Hyper 212 EVO, 16 GB Crucial Ballistix, GTX 1070 Super clocked, MSI Z97S SLI Krait Edition, Corsair RM 750, Corsair 750D (with 2 additional 140mm NZXT fans up top for exhaust.) 

1 minute ago, mbryant said:

Not quite, because you can still use any SD card and they don't force you to use the Nintendo one, lol 

WE HOPE /s

Personal build >  New-ish AMD main gaming setup           

PLEASE QUOTE OR @ ME FOR A RESPONSE xD 

2 minutes ago, mbryant said:

Memory stick/Magic Gate was cheaper than Vita cards...

could be worse

Selezione_006.jpg

at least you have the option to buy from third parties. Nintendo better sell the equivalent to class 10 cards though, else this is just as big of a scam as the pay2online 

One day I will be able to play Monster Hunter Frontier in French/Italian/English on my PC, it's just a matter of time... 4 5 6 7 8 9 years later: It's finally coming!!!

Phones: iPhone 4S/SE | LG V10 | Lumia 920 | Samsung S24 Ultra

Laptops: Macbook Pro 15" (mid-2012) | Compaq Presario V6000

Other: Steam Deck

<>EVs are bad, they kill the planet and remove freedoms too some/<>

1 hour ago, mbryant said:

No one forced you to use Apple too

1 hour ago, Bubblewhale said:

Memory stick/Magic Gate was cheaper than Vita cards...

Just use a Memory Stick Duo to MicroSD adapter. I have three of them for my Sony cameras and PSP.

"Rawr XD"

So they went backwards? I've got one of their 10MP cybershot cameras that takes SD cards & Memory sticks (which I have in 64MB and 2GB from my old phone)

"We also blind small animals with cosmetics.
We do not sell cosmetics. We just blind animals."

"Please don't mistake us for Equifax. Those fuckers are evil"

This PSA brought to you by Equifacks.
PMSL

2 hours ago, Mooshi said:

Controllers are the only things worth buying 1st party from consoles. 

That's not entirely correct in my experience.  I bought 2 non-Sony brand PS2 memory cards years ago when the PS2 was still the current Sony home console and 1 Sony card.  One or both of the off brand cards (both purchased from a Best Buy) died but not the Sony card.  

I suppose it could've just been bad luck but I'm not sure.  

In the case of SD cards though Sandisk or Samsung would be fine and without the high prices a Switch/Nintendo branded SD card would cost.  

The article was updated. Turns out the RRP is much lower (still more than other options) but the retailers have marked it up for whatever reason.

"Correction: While Amazon.jp has the price listed for these cards as one figure, it appears that third parties have marked up the price to levels above what the manufacturer intended. The HORI site has the 32 GB card listed as  ¥ 3,758, which is still more than most similar microSD cards, but not as much as the listed Amazon price was indicating. Also, since the publication of this article, the third party listing has also lowered its price, though still not to the level HORI lists."

So about $33 / £26.

Project Tank

CPU: Intel i5 4670k :: Motherboard: Asus Z87 Pro :: RAM: 2x4GB Patroit 1866Mhz Intel Extreme Masters Edition :: GPU: Gigabyte AMD Radeon R9 280X :: Case: Fractal Design Define R2 XL :: Storage: 1TB Western Digital Black,3TB Western Digital Green, 120GB Samsung 840 EVO SSD :: PSU: XFX Pro Series Black Edition 850W :: Display(s): LG 23EA63V :: Cooling: Corsair H100i Liquid Cooler.

So as per usual the "extras" for consoles are overpriced. The only difference here is that the Nintendo Switch system is overpriced unlike your typical console which is sold at a loss/at cost.

CPU - Ryzen Threadripper 2950X | Motherboard - X399 GAMING PRO CARBON AC | RAM - G.Skill Trident Z RGB 4x8GB DDR4-3200 14-13-13-21 | GPU - Aorus GTX 1080 Ti Waterforce WB Xtreme Edition | Case - Inwin 909 (Silver) | Storage - Samsung 950 Pro 500GB, Samsung 970 Evo 500GB, Samsung 840 Evo 500GB, HGST DeskStar 6TB, WD Black 2TB | PSU - Corsair AX1600i | Display - DELL ULTRASHARP U3415W |

1 hour ago, Puddleuk said:

The article was updated. Turns out the RRP is much lower (still more than other options) but the retailers have marked it up for whatever reason.

"Correction: While Amazon.jp has the price listed for these cards as one figure, it appears that third parties have marked up the price to levels above what the manufacturer intended. The HORI site has the 32 GB card listed as  ¥ 3,758, which is still more than most similar microSD cards, but not as much as the listed Amazon price was indicating. Also, since the publication of this article, the third party listing has also lowered its price, though still not to the level HORI lists."

So about $33 / £26.

Yes :) I mentioned that in my original post:

4 hours ago, Xanthe_2871 said:

While it's since been noted on the article that the true markup is less than 3X it's still being priced at a premium without offering any actual advantage.

The manufacture is HORI, not Nintendo!

Please correct click bait title.

It is even mentioned in big on the micro-SD card pictures in your article.

The Nintendo Switch works with any brand micro-SD card. At the NIntendo Switch event, they showed the console work with 256GB Samsung microSD card, to show that it can support this quantity (the largest microSD card available to consumers). Nintendo mentioned that the console supports up to 2TB ones when they'll come out.

lol, i read it as the name of a new handheld, the "3X". felt quite reasonable that way

i9 11900k - NH-D15S - ASUS Z-590-F - 64GB 2400Mhz - 1080ti SC - 970evo 1TB - 960evo 250GB - 850evo 250GB - WDblack 1TB - WDblue 3TB - HX850i - 27GN850-B - PB278Q - VX229 - HP P224 - HP P224 - HannsG HT231 - 450D                                                         

I already bought two 64gb cards for my switches doe

Intel 4670K /w TT water 2.0 performer, GTX 1070FE, Gigabyte Z87X-DH3, Corsair HX750, 16GB Mushkin 1333mhz, Fractal R4 Windowed, Varmilo mint TKL, Logitech m310, HP Pavilion 23bw, Logitech 2.1 Speakers

8 hours ago, GoodBytes said:

The manufacture is HORI, not Nintendo!

Please correct click bait title.

It is even mentioned in big on the micro-SD card pictures in your article.

The Nintendo Switch works with any brand micro-SD card. At the NIntendo Switch event, they showed the console work with 256GB Samsung microSD card, to show that it can support this quantity (the largest microSD card available to consumers). Nintendo mentioned that the console supports up to 2TB ones when they'll come out.

Not sure how to change the title. I don't think of that as click bait though, because they are Nintendo Switch Branded, with an agreement between the two companies. But if you would like it changed please show me how!

That's true but many parents won't have that event knowledge. :P