What's Your area of Expertise in a PC?

What's Your area of Expertise in a PC?  

110 members have voted

1. 1. When it comes to PC related enquires , which one of these options is Your place to shine?

• CPU
    • Motherboards
    • Power Supply Unit
    • Chasis/Case
    • Storage (HardDrive / SSD /M.2/external )
    • GPU
    • Keyboards
    • Mouse / Mice
    • Network hardware
    • Software related (entry/mid level expert)
    • Software related (pro/expert)
    • Power Supply
    • Monitors / Displays
    • RAM
    • All of the above (⌐□_□)
    • None of the above
    • Not an expert , but heavy reasercher when faced with a problem & solution finding
    • Others
    • ( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)

4 minutes ago, TheRandomness said:

I don't think that's how this works...

work is distributed across them cores, so less stress for psu. :P

Intel Xeon E5 1650 v3 @ 3.5GHz 6C:12T / CM212 Evo / Asus X99 Deluxe / 16GB (4x4GB) DDR4 3000 Trident-Z / Samsung 850 Pro 256GB / Intel 335 240GB / WD Red 2 & 3TB / Antec 850w / RTX 2070 / Win10 Pro x64

HP Envy X360 15: Intel Core i5 8250U @ 1.6GHz 4C:8T / 8GB DDR4 / Intel UHD620 + Nvidia GeForce MX150 4GB / Intel 120GB SSD / Win10 Pro x64

HP Envy x360 BP series Intel 8th gen

AMD ThreadRipper 2!

5820K & 6800K 3-way SLI mobo support list

On 1/28/2017 at 4:07 PM, Fooshi said:

-snip-

I have a thing for keyboards. 

Taran would be proud

5 minutes ago, NumLock21 said:

work is distributed across them cores, so less stress for psu. :P

13 minutes ago, NumLock21 said:

more cores prevents psu from blowing up.

Can I join the fun?

12 minutes ago, TheRandomness said:

I don't think that's how this works...

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant

CPU: AMD FX-9590 4.7GHz 8-Core OEM/Tray Processor  ($191.98 @ Newegg) 
CPU Cooler: Cooler Master Hyper TX3 54.8 CFM Sleeve Bearing CPU Cooler  ($22.99 @ B&H) 
Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-990FXA-UD3 R5 ATX AM3+ Motherboard  ($99.89 @ OutletPC) 
Memory: Mushkin Essentials 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-1600 Memory  ($48.88 @ OutletPC) 
Storage: Seagate Pipeline HD 1TB 3.5" 5900RPM Internal Hard Drive  ($42.99 @ Newegg) 
Video Card: Asus Radeon HD 5450 512MB Video Card  ($29.99 @ SuperBiiz) 
Case: Xion XON-350_BK ATX Mid Tower Case  ($28.98 @ Newegg) 
Power Supply: SeaSonic 350W 80+ Bronze Certified ATX Power Supply  ($31.99 @ SuperBiiz) 
Total: $497.69
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2017-01-29 18:17 EST-0500

I have a bunch of knowledge on both the hardware and software side of things.

Be it from youtube, personal research or years of having to deal with BS on my computers and the computers of others...

As well as having worked in a computer repair shop for over a year before quitting that. Couldn't handle the stupidity of people anymore and felt we were ripping people off most of the time.

Example of stupidity : that one dude who came to our shop because his ODD didn't work. He had put "gold bond" cream and vicks vaporub in his optical drive to "lube it up"... ugh... the smell, the fucking smell... I can still smell it, years after the fact.

I also have pretty good google-fu to find answers to problems I may not have the answer to.

CPU: AMD Ryzen 3700x / GPU: Asus Radeon RX 6750XT OC 12GB / RAM: Corsair Vengeance LPX 2x8GB DDR4-3200
MOBO: MSI B450m Gaming Plus / NVME: Corsair MP510 240GB / Case: TT Core v21 / PSU: Seasonic 750W / OS: Win 10 Pro

6 hours ago, TetraSky said:

I have a bunch of knowledge on both the hardware and software side of things.

Be it from youtube, personal research or years of having to deal with BS on my computers and the computers of others...

As well as having worked in a computer repair shop for over a year before quitting that. Couldn't handle the stupidity of people anymore, like that one dude who came to our shop because his ODD didn't work... He had put "gold bond" cream and vicks vaporub in his optical drive to "lube it up"... ugh... the smell, the fucking smell... I can still smell it, years after the fact.

I also have pretty good google-fu to find answers to problems I may not have the answer to.

Fact rotten watermelon smells worse than dog poop.

Intel Xeon E5 1650 v3 @ 3.5GHz 6C:12T / CM212 Evo / Asus X99 Deluxe / 16GB (4x4GB) DDR4 3000 Trident-Z / Samsung 850 Pro 256GB / Intel 335 240GB / WD Red 2 & 3TB / Antec 850w / RTX 2070 / Win10 Pro x64

HP Envy X360 15: Intel Core i5 8250U @ 1.6GHz 4C:8T / 8GB DDR4 / Intel UHD620 + Nvidia GeForce MX150 4GB / Intel 120GB SSD / Win10 Pro x64

AMD ThreadRipper 2!

3 minutes ago, NumLock21 said:

Fact rotten watermelon smells worse that dog poop.

I will keep this in mind, thanks.

1 minute ago, deXxterlab97 said:

I will keep this in mind, thanks.

Experienced it first hand so it's fact

AMD ThreadRipper 2!

Just now, NumLock21 said:

Experienced it first hand so it's fact

On 28/01/2017 at 5:48 AM, deXxterlab97 said:

BIOS update confirmed?

But with Ez (pizi) flash 3, you don't need a CPU or even RAM to update the BIOS...

Looking at my signature are we now? Well too bad there's nothing here...

What? As I said, there seriously is nothing here :) 

2 minutes ago, Mr.Meerkat said:

But with Ez (pizi) flash 3, you don't need a CPU or even RAM to update the BIOS...

Not all mobo have that luxurious feature 

1 minute ago, deXxterlab97 said:

Not all mobo have that luxurious feature 

So why not get the Asus H110-E/M.2? :D 

It's one of the cheapest H110 motherboards anyway...

Looking at my signature are we now? Well too bad there's nothing here...

What? As I said, there seriously is nothing here :) 

1 minute ago, Mr.Meerkat said:

So why not get the Asus H110-E/M.2? :D 

It's one of the cheapest H110 motherboards anyway...

At the point of making the build the HDS was cheaper

9 minutes ago, deXxterlab97 said:

snip

Yes. Used to have a dog that pooped into his potty and I have to clean it up. Bought a watermelon, left it on the table letting it rip a few more days before eating. Picked it up and the entire bottom has gave out and dumped out its guts follow by the fruit's smell of death.

7 minutes ago, Mr.Meerkat said:

Asus has USB biosflash back. Don't know about the others. That is not the way to update the bios.

AMD ThreadRipper 2!

1 minute ago, NumLock21 said:

Yes. Used to have a dog that pooped into his potty and I have to clean it up. Bought a watermelon, left it on the table letting it rip a few more days before eating. Picked it up and the entire bottom has give out and dumped out its guts follow by the fruit's smell of death.

Enough LTT for me today I guess

8 hours ago, Zodiark1593 said:

It there's a new problem or need, I seek out the information I need. This has extended beyond computers, into mechanics, cooking, and sewing. I'm not sure I can say I'm "good" at computers, so much as to say I'm just very fast at learning new things as needed. 

However, I loathe college greatly. 

Why do you hate college so much?

What degree are you going for?

5 hours ago, Ithanul said:

Hehe, our typing class was a requirement.  Was not much use to me since I picked up typing by playing PSO ep1&2 on my Gamecube with the keyboard that could hook to it (yep, you could use a keyboard to type on the Gamecube).

Well, my first build was mATX smacked in a mid tower.  :P   So, I was hardly doing any better than that Best Buy build.

I don't think I knew there was a keyboard for the GameCube.  That's cool.

Did you get to play PSO ep 1&2 online?    If so I'm very jealous.  I had that game on Gamecube too but I never got to play it online.  I didn't get far trying to play it single player.  ?

I'm sorry...  ?    I didn't mean that using a mATX board in a mid-tower is always bad.  Just that it doesn't make sense in this case since it's a K CPU that's most often paired with a Z chipset motherboard.  

Also because the H110 board only had 4 sata headers on it.  I was planning to add at lesst 2 SSDs (one as boot drive the other for games) and a HDD for additional storage space.  Those plus the DVD drive would've filled the 4 sata headers with no room for potential expansion.  

I'm sure your reason for using mATX in a mid-tower was much better than Best Buy's.  ?

10 hours ago, Bleedingyamato said:

I don't think I knew there was a keyboard for the GameCube.  That's cool.

Did you get to play PSO ep 1&2 online?    If so I'm very jealous.  I had that game on Gamecube too but I never got to play it online.  I didn't get far trying to play it single player.  ?

Yep, played online and offline.  Played the series since Dreamcast.  Let just say, I got insanely good at that game (beat Dark Falz with lv13 character on normal with no deaths by myself).  Still have the game and Gamecube with the dail-up modem.  Wonder if the card with my save file still works.  Hope so, had a lv178 character on it.

2023 BOINC Pentathlon Event

F@H & BOINC Installation on Linux Guide

My CPU Army: 5800X, E5-2670V3, 1950X, 5960X J Batch, 10750H *lappy

My GPU Army:3080Ti, 960 FTW @ 1551MHz, RTX 2070 Max-Q *lappy

My Console Brigade: Gamecube, Wii, Wii U, Switch, PS2 Fatty, Xbox One S, Xbox One X

My Tablet Squad: iPad Air 5th Gen, Samsung Tab S, Nexus 7 (1st gen)

3D Printer Unit: Prusa MK3S, Prusa Mini, EPAX E10

VR Headset: Quest 2

Hardware lost to Kevdog's Law of Folding

OG Titan, 5960X, ThermalTake BlackWidow 850 Watt PSU

2 hours ago, Ithanul said:

Yep, played online and offline.  Played the series since Dreamcast.  Let just say, I got insanely good at that game (beat Dark Falz with lv13 character on normal with no deaths by myself).  Still have the game and Gamecube with the dail-up modem.  Wonder if the card with my save file still works.  Hope so, had a lv178 character on it.

Ummm..  Idk who that is (I didn't know anything about PSO Ep 1&2 besides that it looked cool.  ?) but I assume beating him at only level 13 is very tricky to do especially alone and without dying?

I did get the network adapter for my PS2 to use with Final Fantasy XI.   Though I only played that a little.  The game was comfusing, hard (I didn't know anyone else that played or how to meet people in game to play with so I was alone), and I got sick of not being able to make any progress or get decent gear/level up so I got bored and stopped playing.  I still have the tiny HDD that came with XI in my PS2.  It's nice because you can transfer save data to it so I used it for backups.

I'd think your memory card should be fine.  At least most or all of the GameCube memory cards I still have work.  178 must have taken you forever to get up to.  ?

7 hours ago, Bleedingyamato said:

I'd think your memory card should be fine.  At least most or all of the GameCube memory cards I still have work.  178 must have taken you forever to get up to.  ?

Indeed it did, even using the glitch in the mine level to make the enemies re spawn over and over.  I have to fire up the card and game to make sure, but I believe that character alone had over 3,000 hours clocked.

2023 BOINC Pentathlon Event

F@H & BOINC Installation on Linux Guide

My CPU Army: 5800X, E5-2670V3, 1950X, 5960X J Batch, 10750H *lappy

My GPU Army:3080Ti, 960 FTW @ 1551MHz, RTX 2070 Max-Q *lappy

My Console Brigade: Gamecube, Wii, Wii U, Switch, PS2 Fatty, Xbox One S, Xbox One X

My Tablet Squad: iPad Air 5th Gen, Samsung Tab S, Nexus 7 (1st gen)

3D Printer Unit: Prusa MK3S, Prusa Mini, EPAX E10

VR Headset: Quest 2

Hardware lost to Kevdog's Law of Folding

OG Titan, 5960X, ThermalTake BlackWidow 850 Watt PSU

1 hour ago, Ithanul said:

Indeed it did, even using the glitch in the mine level to make the enemies re spawn over and over.  I have to fire up the card and game to make sure, but I believe that character alone had over 3,000 hours clocked.

Wow!  I bow to your commitment to the game.  ?

That at reminds me of the second Rebirth Hyperdimension Neptunia game.  I spent a while in that grinding to jack up my party's levels.