Samsung preventing competitors from using Snapdragon 835

Well it's great on Samsung part, it's not surprising to me really. They're a major player with Qualcomm and have fabbed the chip themselves. Also they need enormous amount of chips, so logical to hoard them. 

| Ryzen 7 7800X3D | AM5 B650 Aorus Elite AX | G.Skill Trident Z5 Neo RGB DDR5 32GB 6000MHz C30 | Sapphire PULSE Radeon RX 7900 XTX | Samsung 990 PRO 1TB with heatsink | Arctic Liquid Freezer II 360 | Seasonic Focus GX-850 | Lian Li Lanccool III | Mousepad: Skypad 3.0 XL / Zowie GTF-X | Mouse: Zowie S1-C | Keyboard: Ducky One 3 TKL (Cherry MX-Speed-Silver)Beyerdynamic MMX 300 (2nd Gen) | Acer XV272U | OS: Windows 11 |

Unfortunately, when you're on the top like Samsung is, they have the power to do things like this to give them the advantage. It's just how capitalism works. I won't be getting a Samsung phone but I wouldn't say Samsung is in the wrong here. 

11 hours ago, Aniallation said:

There's only been a very small amount of rumors about the S8 possibly coming with the Exynos 8895 chip, but even those have died off and the only SoC that's been anywhere close to confirmed for the S8 so far is the 835.

They had to ship the S6 with an Exynos due to the Snapdragon 810 debacle and they used a lot of Exynos chips on the S7 (it was the first time Europe gor the Exynos variant instead of the Snapdragon one). Would be pretty interesting if they start using Qualcomm more again and Europe gets the Snapdragon 835. 

Why is SpongeBob the main character when Patrick is the star?

Interesting. 

COMMUNITY STANDARDS   |   TECH NEWS POSTING GUIDELINES   |   FORUM STAFF

LTT Folding Users Tips, Tricks and FAQ   |   F@H & BOINC Badge Request   |   F@H Contribution    My Rig   |   Project Steamroller

I am a Moderator, but I am fallible. Discuss or debate with me as you will but please do not argue with me as that will get us nowhere.

Spoiler

Character is like a Tree and Reputation like its Shadow. The Shadow is what we think of it; The Tree is the Real thing.  ~ Abraham Lincoln

Reputation is a Lifetime to create but seconds to destroy.

You have enemies? Good. That means you've stood up for something, sometime in your life.  ~ Winston Churchill

Docendo discimus - "to teach is to learn"

CHRISTIAN MEMBER 

I really don't see where the outrage is coming from... Also, I personally feel like the Title is misleading, borderline Clickbait.

Samsung is simply putting a large purchase order into the Qualcomm manufacturers. Who they decide to do business with, and how, is up to them. If they're guaranteeing Samsung that large a supply, it's because they see a big order, and want to make money.

This won't stop other OEM manufacturers from ordering supply from the Qualcomm manufacturers. I'm not sure who all builds Snapdragons, but I assume both Samsung's own fabs, as well as TSMC.

I could see Samsung utilizing their own Fab's to allot 835's just for Samsung phones... but... I don't think there's anything inherently wrong or illegal about that. Samsung's Fab division isn't going to turn other customers away. They will sell as much as possible to as many as possible. And there's TSMC who won't play favourites with Samsung.

For Sale: Meraki Bundle

iPhone Xr 128 GB Product Red - HP Spectre x360 13" (i5 - 8 GB RAM - 256 GB SSD) - HP ZBook 15v G5 15" (i7-8850H - 16 GB RAM - 512 GB SSD - NVIDIA Quadro P600)

8 hours ago, dalekphalm said:

I really don't see where the outrage is coming from... Also, I personally feel like the Title is misleading, borderline Clickbait.

Samsung is simply putting a large purchase order into the Qualcomm manufacturers. Who they decide to do business with, and how, is up to them. If they're guaranteeing Samsung that large a supply, it's because they see a big order, and want to make money.

This won't stop other OEM manufacturers from ordering supply from the Qualcomm manufacturers. I'm not sure who all builds Snapdragons, but I assume both Samsung's own fabs, as well as TSMC.

I could see Samsung utilizing their own Fab's to allot 835's just for Samsung phones... but... I don't think there's anything inherently wrong or illegal about that. Samsung's Fab division isn't going to turn other customers away. They will sell as much as possible to as many as possible. And there's TSMC who won't play favourites with Samsung.

Qualcomm had a contract with Samsung for over a decade and the recent news of the SnapDragon 835 that is manufactured using the 10nm process in a Samsung fab isn't new to me. So for Qualcomm to allocate a huge amount of SoCs for their business partner Samsung is not illegal.

The title is clickbait and f***ing misleading

Even if the allotment of the 835 is lesser for the other phone manufacturers

Companies like Huawei and Xiaomi using other SoCs like MediaTek and Hisilicon Kirin 960 which is a SnapDragon similar kind of SoC in their flagship phones.

Budget? Uses? Currency? Location? Operating System? Peripherals? Monitor? Use PCPartPicker wherever possible. 

Quote whom you're replying to, and set option to follow your topics. Or Else we can't see your reply.

2 hours ago, dragoon20005 said:

Qualcomm had a contract with Samsung for over a decade and the recent news of the SnapDragon 835 that is manufactured using the 10nm process in a Samsung fab isn't new to me. So for Qualcomm to allocate a huge amount of SoCs for their business partner Samsung is not illegal.

Even if the allotment of the 835 is lesser for the other phone manufacturers

Companies like Huawei and Xiaomi using other SoCs like MediaTek and Hisilicon Kirin 960 which is a SnapDragon similar kind of SoC in their flagship phones.

only huawei uses kirin and mediatek as nothing that can stand against snapdragon

on topic: hope that international model will still come with exynos

One day I will be able to play Monster Hunter Frontier in French/Italian/English on my PC, it's just a matter of time... 4 5 6 7 8 9 years later: It's finally coming!!!

Phones: iPhone 4S/SE | LG V10 | Lumia 920 | Samsung S24 Ultra

Laptops: Macbook Pro 15" (mid-2012) | Compaq Presario V6000

Other: Steam Deck

<>EVs are bad, they kill the planet and remove freedoms too some/<>

3 hours ago, dragoon20005 said:

True, I made no mention or any indication that what they are doing is illegal. How is the title misleading? Samsung are preventing competitors using the chip indirectly by monopolising the supply.

Data Scientist - MSc in Advanced CS, B.Eng in Computer Engineering

hqdefault.jpg

PC - NZXT H510 Elite, Ryzen 5600, 16GB DDR3200 2x8GB, EVGA 3070 FTW3 Ultra, Asus VG278HQ 165hz,

Mac - 1.4ghz i5, 4GB DDR3 1600mhz, Intel HD 5000.  x2

Endlessly wishing for a BBQ in space.

Smart move by Samsung, but FFS now I have to wait even longer to get a phone with a 835, since I HATE what Samsung does to Android.

Before you buy amp and dac.  My thoughts on the M50x  Ultimate Ears Reference monitor review I might have a thing for audio...

My main Headphones and IEMs:  K612 pro, HD 25 and Ultimate Ears Reference Monitor, HD 580 with HD 600 grills

DAC and AMP: RME ADI 2 DAC

Speakers: Genelec 8040, System Audio SA205

Receiver: Denon AVR-1612

Desktop: R7 1700, GTX 1080  RX 580 8GB and other stuff

Laptop: ThinkPad P50: i7 6820HQ, M2000M. ThinkPad T420s: i7 2640M, NVS 4200M

Feel free to pm me if you have a question for me or quote me. If you want to hear what I have to say about something just tag me.

4 hours ago, randomhkkid said:

True, I made no mention or any indication that what they are doing is illegal. How is the title misleading? Samsung are preventing competitors using the chip indirectly by monopolising the supply.

I'm sorry, but how are they "indirectly" monopolizing the supply? The suppliers can do business with anyone they want, and I'm sure they'll do business with anyone who wants the chips.

Samsung aren't preventing anyone from doing anything. The article doesn't provide any proof that Samsung is deliberately preventing competitors from using the 835. It mostly seems to be speculation based on the fact that Samsung's Fab division is making 835's.

For Sale: Meraki Bundle

iPhone Xr 128 GB Product Red - HP Spectre x360 13" (i5 - 8 GB RAM - 256 GB SSD) - HP ZBook 15v G5 15" (i7-8850H - 16 GB RAM - 512 GB SSD - NVIDIA Quadro P600)

i'd be sad, but then again the G6 is going to be a an iClone, and since LG was the only OEM out there to make phones how i like them, i don't really care if they can't get a hold of qualcomm's new soc, the phone would have been an iClone shit anyway

One day I will be able to play Monster Hunter Frontier in French/Italian/English on my PC, it's just a matter of time... 4 5 6 7 8 9 years later: It's finally coming!!!

Phones: iPhone 4S/SE | LG V10 | Lumia 920 | Samsung S24 Ultra

Laptops: Macbook Pro 15" (mid-2012) | Compaq Presario V6000

Other: Steam Deck

<>EVs are bad, they kill the planet and remove freedoms too some/<>

I find this really weird that they would try to hold an iron grip on a Qualcomm part. I mean, they've proven their own chip can compete against Apple, so why do they still use Qualcomm?

Anyway, I'm sure Qualcomm will just have another chip for everyone else to use in the mean time.

9 hours ago, M.Yurizaki said:

Well they need ammo for their turret:

SGR-A1.jpg

And this guy to fire it

PC - NZXT H510 Elite, Ryzen 5600, 16GB DDR3200 2x8GB, EVGA 3070 FTW3 Ultra, Asus VG278HQ 165hz,

Mac - 1.4ghz i5, 4GB DDR3 1600mhz, Intel HD 5000.  x2

Endlessly wishing for a BBQ in space.

18 hours ago, randomhkkid said:

The problem is that the way the title is worded makes it seem Samsung is deliberately buying up all the chips so that no other competitors can release a phone with said CPU before Samsung rather than Samsung having placed a very large order to make sure they have enough for their upcoming S8 and as a side effect of that there may not be enough chips for other phone manufacturers for a while.

Maybe Samsung is deliberately preventing others from buying the chip, maybe it is just a consequence of the large amount they need, the problem is that the title's wording pushes the idea that the former is the case and not the later with no real proof in the article to support the former.

A title along the lines of "Samsung puts in a large order for Snapdragon 835 causing shortages for other manufacturers".

I think that is a more neutral title that leaves people to come to their own conclusion as to whether Samsung has any malicious intents or not behind their actions whereas the original title more heavily suggests a deliberate wrongdoing on Samsung's part.